Surprised too!!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gav said:

COVID 19 cases increased significantly on Malta cancelling this years music festivals, they have more new cases than Blackburn and Darwen up to 2nd August, surprised this hasn’t been mentioned :rock:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-53642430

It has already been posted on here by me.

84 cases were on a single boat of migrants rescued from the Mediterranean.

Holding the Village Feast and Pool Party were crazy stupid decisions and are responsible for most of the other cases. Thankfully those restrictions have been reintroduced and hence the raves have been cancelled.

Huge relief on the island that those "music festivals" won't be happening.

This weekend a bar man very close to where I live was found to be a super spreader. This virus is a nasty thing. 

So frustrating as we had got cases down to just 3 in the whole country less than two weeks ago.

Edited by philipl

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

It has already been posted on here by me.

84 cases were on a single boat of migrants rescued from the Mediterranean.

Holding the Village Feast and Pool Party were crazy stupid decisions and are responsible for most of the other cases. Thankfully those restrictions have been reintroduced and hence the raves have been cancelled.

Huge relief on the island that those "music festivals" won't be happening.

This weekend a bar man very close to where I live was found to be a super spreader. This virus is a nasty thing. 

So frustrating as we had got cases down to just 3 in the whole country less than two weeks ago.

That just tells me how hard it's going to be to eradicate the virus in the UK.

I see that the right wing PR firm that was responsible for renaming the official Conservative party Twitter account " factcheckUK " during the leaders debate, and setting up a website presented as a Labour manifesto have been awarded a £3 million contract without it going to tender ! Nice work if you can get it. Expect more lies about our " World Beating " efforts to combat the virus any day now.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That just tells me how hard it's going to be to eradicate the virus in the UK.

Don't worry, Tories won't last forever!! :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You beat me to it. Months ago I posted that the central government was looking to employ thousands of people to track and trace and were totally ignoring the thousands of health inspectors employed by Councils, even though they were experienced in this work.

The councils offered them to the government and their offer was refused.

This government is the most ideological in history and its cost lives

Posted (edited)

One good thing that central government are doing is providing hundreds of extra tests to local councils with increased infection rates, they had been on ration previously.    

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, 47er said:

You beat me to it. Months ago I posted that the central government was looking to employ thousands of people to track and trace and were totally ignoring the thousands of health inspectors employed by Councils, even though they were experienced in this work.

The councils offered them to the government and their offer was refused.

This government is the most ideological in history and its cost lives

They can't reward their friends by doing the tracking via the existing channels. The pigs need to get their snouts in the trough one way or other.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They can't reward their friends by doing the tracking via the existing channels. The pigs need to get their snouts in the trough one way or other.

Exactly- this is what has happened.

Yes Britain was best in the world.

Twelve months ago Britain and the US were assessed as having the best pandemic preparation and it wasn't even close to Germany with the third best.

Rampant corruption in both countries destroyed both ability to respond to Covid. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Twelve months ago Britain and the US were assessed as having the best pandemic preparation and it wasn't even close to Germany with the third best.

Do you have a source for this? 

44 minutes ago, Silas said:

Do you have a source for this? 

https://www.ghsindex.org/

Global Health Security Index. October 2019 report, page 20.

I don't know how to directly link to a PDF, but it's downloadable on there.

UK is 2nd overall, and 1st for 'Rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of a pandemic.'

16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

https://www.ghsindex.org/

Global Health Security Index. October 2019 report, page 20.

I don't know how to directly link to a PDF, but it's downloadable on there.

UK is 2nd overall, and 1st for 'Rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of a pandemic.'

Thanks.

Struggling a bit with that map on phone.

In the World?

We were ranked as 2nd best prepared in World right?

And then this happened?  

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

Thanks.

In the World?

And then this happened?  

Bo Jo got elected and put his mates in charge. If he had used that   information we would be doing better and not have as many death's.

34 minutes ago, Silas said:

Thanks.

In the World?

And then this happened?  

Pretty much. Page 20 if you download the report is the easiest way to see it. Laid out as a series of tables.

Blown away by that. UK and USA. Wow.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more.

and ordinary working folk vote for these people. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, den said:

and ordinary working folk vote for these people. 

.....and will continue to do so after 9.5 million worker received financial support during the pandemic. 

Nothing like a few quid in the pocket to ensure crosses in the right boxes.

Edited by Gav

Posted (edited)

Track and testing failings, have a read about what a farce it all is. Serco and others making a fortune out of it. Why oh why do we keep swallowing this Tory ideology that the private sector is so much more efficient than the public sector?

If the Unions were responsible for this enforced inactivity and waste of public funds the Daily Mail, Express and co would go ape.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/05/englands-contact-tracers-making-handful-of-calls-a-month

Edited by 47er

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Track and testing failings, have a read about what a farce it all is. Serco and others making a fortune out of it. Why oh why do we keep swallowing this Tory ideology that the private sector is so much more efficient than the public sector?

I'm still of the opinion that if you gave the same task / problem / objective to a public sector company and a private sector company to do independently, the private sector would do it quicker, cheaper and better. The problem occurs when you try and mix public and private sector. For whatever reason our public sector struggles to get value for money out of such arrangements. 

I used to see it all the time when I worked in a professional services company. Tendering for contracts we'd always wheel out our best and brightest but as soon as the work was won we'd chuck a grad on the contract whilst the decent staff serviced the corporate clients. Dont get me started on the monthly billing that often went unchallenged by public sector clients. The quality of work was always poor as well as the public sector were not strict with the amount of budget we had or the length of time it took to finish the review whereas corporates would be on us from day 1. The public sector is far too trusting of the private sector and gets taken for a mug. Needs some commercial nouse. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/05/lack-of-special-border-measures-before-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-was-serious-mistake?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

What was that about Brexit and Tories protecting British borders? What a sick joke- literally.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/04/local-authority-blackburn-with-darwen-sets-up-test-trace-system-english-scheme-covid?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

Corruption= inefficiency. No wonder the English track and trace is a load of poo.

Scotland and Northern Ireland have first class track and trace and now it looks likely BwD will have one too.