Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Excess deaths answers one question only. Theres a looming cancer (and other health conditions) crisis where a number of excess deaths will soon be attributable to non-covid related illnesses. At that point the excess deaths becomes meaningless in terms of measuring how dangerous covid is. 

Excess deaths is the best way of assessing the impact of a virus. 

expect Hancock to try to manipulate the figures downwards, but he’s on a loser.

Edited by den

25 minutes ago, den said:

Yeah I get that, just as long as people don't start attributing each and everyone of the 65k excess deaths of having died of the coronavirus. 

26 minutes ago, den said:

Are you saying that Hancock / phe coming out and saying that you could recover from Covid then get killed by a bus and it’s still on the death cert is manipulation to make them look good ?

There's a brilliant article on the Liverpool V Athletico game and the effect the subsequent spread of the virus had seen through the eyes of one particular family in todays " Guardian " G2 supplement.

It reminds me why I started buying " The Guardian 50 years ago.

Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

Are you saying that Hancock / phe coming out and saying that you could recover from Covid then get killed by a bus and it’s still on the death cert is manipulation to make them look good ?

They'll do anything they can to avoid any blame  but you already know that.

54 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Excess deaths doesn’t look at death certificates, that’s why it’s the best guide as to the effect of a virus. They use excess deaths to evaluate flu numbers every year. It’s not absolutely accurate but it’s not far off. What’s more, you can compare your own performance against that of other countries. 
Expect Hancock to try to muddy the waters on this. Don’t fall for it.

16 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It could however quantify that Covid wasn’t as deadly was they wanted us to think when that suited 

As who wanted us to think? 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a brilliant article on the Liverpool V Athletico game and the effect the subsequent spread of the virus had seen through the eyes of one particular family in todays " Guardian " G2 supplement.

I read it too. I was going to post the link but thought the story was too long and people wouldn't read it.

It is absolutely heart-breaking and a vivid indictment of a Government that didn't put its citizen's lives first.

I'll post the link. Good to see your faith in the Guardian restored!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/11/richie-mawson-was-a-beloved-dad-and-liverpool-fan-did-a-late-lockdown-cost-him-his-life

On 09/08/2020 at 03:24, RoverDom said:

I'm merely trying to reduce the hysteria going on. 

Every extremist I've ever heard or read believes they're normal and everyone else is extreme.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/11/richie-mawson-was-a-beloved-dad-and-liverpool-fan-did-a-late-lockdown-cost-him-his-life

Posted (edited)

I see Sturgeon has taken the Hancock approach and is trying to score cheap points against football now that the spotlight is on her competence. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Yeah I get that, just as long as people don't start attributing each and everyone of the 65k excess deaths of having died of the coronavirus. 

As a matter of interest, why not? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just wondering how you reach the idea that they aren’t. 

42 minutes ago, den said:

As a matter of interest, why not? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just wondering how you reach the idea that they aren’t. 

I was always under the impression that excess deaths was a measure of the impact of the virus including the response to it, rather than the just the virus itself. It covers the people who maybe refused to go to hospital and consequently died at home of a heart attack. It covers the people who have died of other illnesses because the NHSs focus was elsewhere. It covers the suicides or domestic violence murders that may have increased from being locked away or the elderly who's physical health will have suffered significantly as a result of being isolated.

I know a deaths a death and equally tragic but i think it's useful to know what's more likely to kill you. 

7 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I was always under the impression that excess deaths was a measure of the impact of the virus including the response to it, rather than the just the virus itself. It covers the people who maybe refused to go to hospital and consequently died at home of a heart attack. It covers the people who have died of other illnesses because the NHSs focus was elsewhere. It covers the suicides or domestic violence murders that may have increased from being locked away or the elderly who's physical health will have suffered significantly as a result of being isolated.

I know a deaths a death and equally tragic but i think it's useful to know what's more likely to kill you. 

Yes, you’re right RoverDom, it does. There can’t be any precise way of knowing how many people died directly of catching the virus, otherwise it would be used wouldn’t it? Why does that matter anyway?

Scientists could tell us now how deadly the virus is.

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

A bit like Putin claiming they had less infections than Luxembourg, despite having a population of 169m :wacko:

Incredible achievement.

They have certainly done a better job handling the virus than your Tory government have.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

They have certainly done a better job handling the virus than your Tory government have.

Prove it!

1 hour ago, den said:

Yes, you’re right RoverDom, it does. There can’t be any precise way of knowing how many people died directly of catching the virus, otherwise it would be used wouldn’t it? Why does that matter anyway?

Well it’s not that deadly as so many people have apparently had it with no effects what so ever . Shame cancer isn’t like that 

44 minutes ago, den said:

Because if 65k people died but it turned out 64999 of them died because they committed suicide from being locked up all day, I'm going to take my chances outside. 

24 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Unlike you I will actually back my comments up. Russia have less than a third of the deaths that the UK has.

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/ru

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/gb

What comments didn't I backup EA, I don't want you feeling ignored?

If you believe the Russian have a vaccine then good luck to you.

You'll be telling us next that Russia wasn't involved in the attempted murder of the Skripals.....