Sign in to follow this  
Montyburns

Coronavirus

45 minutes ago, booth said:

Herd immunity is a real thing, the pseudo science element comes in when they are expecting it to occur with a virus that had no previous and no vaccine. It was an assumption to believe herd immunity would kick in after 60% of the UK's population caught and either recovered/died from the virus.

And yes there does need to be an inquiry. The people responsible for that strategy should resign imo.

Ps, they are still ignoring data and the track, trace and quarantine methods from other countries. Bit scary considering what's going on in Italy.

I see what you mean. But I believe the essential point that herd immunity will be built for this virus is true, as ultimately antibodies are produced that fight off the disaese and achieve immunity, that has been proven (I think?).

You are right thought the "60%" number is an estimate and could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Italy is almost in total lock down and has thousands of cases, we have more people in the supermarkets than the pubs, but to answer your question yes it COULD, but we simply don't know at this stage, the scientists haven't advised to close them, yet.

It takes around 2 weeks for the impact of lock down to be felt. We should start to see "flattening of the curve" for France, Spain and Italy next week.

As for UK it seems the government has decided drip feeding the bad news is the preferred strategy. Pub closures could well be the big update this afternoon or over the weekend. It's certain it will happen, just a matter of when.

45 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Size is a factor regarding Denmark, but I'd argue culture has played a much bigger part. The Danes are well known for their Scandinavian collective stance on life willing to act as a group. Your average Brit likes a bit more independence.

Most are sensible but there's a large minority who are selfish. 

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It takes around 2 weeks for the impact of lock down to be felt. We should start to see "flattening of the curve" for France, Spain and Italy next week.

As for UK it seems the government has decided drip feeding the bad news is the preferred strategy. Pub closures could well be the big update this afternoon or over the weekend. It's certain it will happen, just a matter of when.

Just to shoot down my own argument, supermarkets are a necessary evil, we’ve got to eat, pubs are not....

I agree it will happen, just a matter of time and quite right.

I have to say I’m really worried for the homeless and people that simply can’t stop working. I hope the chancellor looks after everyone when he speaks later today.

Edited by Gav

Finally, the government gets something right. Journalists have been classified as key workers. 

Hurrah for the government; hurrah for Boris; let's all vote Conservative. 

15 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I'm really glad I haven't a clue who he is

Tim Martin? Owner of Wetherspoons.

Good businessman, bit of a gobshite.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Pat Butcher on Krok.

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Was he stating that he'll make sure that all of his pubs will make sure social distancing guidelines are practiced? Imagine trying to get a group of lads to stand 6 feet apart after they've all had a skin full. They've no chance of enforcing it.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I just listened to a dentist on the radio. Absolutely no guidance as to what to do from the powers that be. I cancelled my appointment for last Monday but what do I do about this Wednesday's appointment.

Just heard on the radio that we'll need the social isolation  to carry on for 12 months. Unbelievable. We'll be back to living in caves. Johnson was saying 3 months yesterday. Do they actually know what they're doing ?

More anecdotes form the USA; all dentists offices are shut for 3 weeks. They decided that for themselves, the government didn't tell them to do it.

41 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Most are sensible but there's a large minority who are selfish. 

We've had 40 years of the " We do what we want " culture.  " Nothing wrong with looking after No 1" etc etc. Chickens are coming home to roost now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I just listened to a dentist on the radio. Absolutely no guidance as to what to do from the powers that be. I cancelled my appointment for last Monday but what do I do about this Wednesday's appointment.

Just heard on the radio that we'll need the social isolation  to carry on for 12 months. Unbelievable. We'll be back to living in caves. Johnson was saying 3 months yesterday. Do they actually know what they're doing ?

Heard that interview too. Scottish and Welsh dentists told to be close by governing body but no guidance in England. More lack of leadership. Are we taking this epidemic seriously or not?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We've had 40 years of the " We do what we want " culture. Nothing wrong with looking after No 1 etc etc. Chickens are coming home to roost now.

The bedrock of this country is selfishness and stupidity. Thatcher did say there was no such thing as community and I have to confirm she’s right after what I saw in my local Tesco.

The stockpiling has occurred in the US, Australia and the U.K. but it hasn’t happened in Spain, France or Italy.

I’ll let people work out the connection.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have always said I like Johnson. He was good presenting HIGNFY. At the moment he looks completely out of his depth. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, he was very funny. The joke was over when he entered No 10

Johnson has been perfecting his schtick since as early as the Eton and University days.

I posted this 6 months ago in the Brexit thread, but it's worth posting again.

If you can past the Americanisms, it's a great journalistic piece that sums up Johnson's style excellently: 

John Oliver on Boris Johnson

(Warning: swearing included)

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I agree it will happen, just a matter of time and quite right.

I believe it happens after there is public outrage at the scenes from pubs this weekend. As there was in Ireland and France last weekend.

We are just operating 1 week behind.

The worrying thing is that this weekend incorporates Mothers Day.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The bedrock of this country is selfishness and stupidity. Thatcher did say there was no such thing as community and I have to confirm she’s right after what I saw in my local Tesco.

The stockpiling has occurred in the US, Australia and the U.K. but it hasn’t happened in Spain, France or Italy.

I’ll let people work out the connection.

Erm.

http://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20200317-panic-buying-grips-paris-as-coronavirus-lockdown-kicks-in

https://www.thelocal.es/20200311/some-supermarkets-in-the-capital-reported-lines-of-up-to-100-people-at-a-time

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-09/whole-of-italy-now-subject-to-coronavirus-quarantine-restrictions/

Edited by Hasta

Daughter reports Bavaria likely to be in lockdown as warm weather has led to groups congregating in parks

Further to that report about the susceptibility of smokers.

Smokers also catch it more because the spend more time with their hands close to their faces.

27 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Daughter reports Bavaria likely to be in lockdown as warm weather has led to groups congregating in parks

It was really cold here this morning when I was putting the bins out so not much chance of that happening here. Could be schoolkids saying goodbye to their classmates.

There's another bug going around at the moment , the usual sickly vomiting/ dash to the toilet style bug we get most years. Mrs Shoelaces had it on Tuesday and I had it yesterday. I saw one of my neighbours out walking his dog at the weekend on our common. At first I thought he was looking down at his shoes a lot until I saw he was throwing up.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

So Morrisons cafe was open and full of elderly people today. Irrisponsible all round. The punters, Morrisons and our government. 

For me what is most frustrating is that this could well impact those like myself who are married to NHS staff (my wife is a nurse). It is putting themselves, my wife and myself at additional risk all for the sake of a cuppa. Madness...

1 hour ago, den said:

Anyone tell me how I can get a haircut in the next 3/6/12 months?

Bromsgrove high street doing a roaring trade on haircuts when I walked past earlier.

How about ordering some clippers you tight sod.

1 hour ago, den said:

Anyone tell me how I can get a haircut in the next 3/6/12 months?

Might have to go long Den (if you still can).