1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not been my experience. On the other hand I have been in the presence of grass roots Tories who have made derogatory statements regarding Asians on several occasions. They obviously think all white men of my age share their opinions.

I trust the experience of the Jewish council and various Jewish Labour members who have all complained of an increasing anti semetic feel to the Labour party under its current guise.

I am neither Jewish nor Muslim so cannot comment. However, as much as I trust a Muslim to tell me if he feels discriminated against I also judge the opinion of a Jewish person telling me the same. Both sides have complained about discrimination from each respective party so I will treat each other with the same concern, not dismiss one entirely based on the 'people I have spoken to'. 

Anyway sorry we may be on the wrong thread for this! 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not been my experience. On the other hand I have been in the presence of grass roots Tories who have made derogatory statements regarding Asians on several occasions. They obviously think all white men of my age share their opinions.

Agreed.

21 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Likewise with the Islamophobia in the tory party. This is a terrible point of all policits- right, left & centre. Things which have very real consequences are politicised by whoever has something to benefit from them.

See Jim's comments re the floods in the politics thread. An attempt to politicise a natural disaster. Terrible but, unfortunately, our political parties are full of such people.

Governments have responsibilties to keep their citizens safe. This one has failed. That's not politicising, it's a matter of fact. 

On 18/02/2020 at 11:46, Dreams of 1995 said:

Korean facilities in general are pretty damn good. A lot of public toilets have these disposable sheets you put over the toilet seat. I didn’t really find anything “dirty” about Korean hygiene practices. 

As far as I can see you need to go on a course to understand how to use a Korean toilet, it’s that high tech. I’ll be in the Grand Hyatt in Incheon again in three weeks time and I’m going to see if I can master it this time.

On 18/02/2020 at 12:21, Dreams of 1995 said:

I trust the experience of the Jewish council and various Jewish Labour members who have all complained of an increasing anti semetic feel to the Labour party under its current guise.

I am neither Jewish nor Muslim so cannot comment. However, as much as I trust a Muslim to tell me if he feels discriminated against I also judge the opinion of a Jewish person telling me the same. Both sides have complained about discrimination from each respective party so I will treat each other with the same concern, not dismiss one entirely based on the 'people I have spoken to'. 

Anyway sorry we may be on the wrong thread for this! 

I think you’re better trusting your own experience when trying to evaluate whether a group is discriminated against. Minority groups by their very nature will feel isolated and defensive in response to any perceived threat. Certainly there are lobby groups that represent minorities and could be considered to be over zealous in their reporting of perceived bias or discrimination. Also, I’d be suspicious that some of those in the Labour Party that complained of antisemitism would also be those who wanted Corbyn replaced; I recall that one prominent member of the Jewish Council who “feared” Corbyn was also a Tory supporter. As a previous poster mentioned, the antisemitic worries are no more now that Corbyn (perversely, a man who was dedicated to equality and opposed bigotry, and was certainly no antisemite) has been defeated and the election is over. Everyone had a bias and In my opinion it is better to try to get a neutral view from multiple sources of media or personal experience. 

As a neutral observer and having family members with a passion for the labour movement I have seen no evidence of anti-Semitic feeling in the Labour Party or in left wing politics or media (such as the Guardian or the Independent). There is a lot of criticism of the Israeli state from within left wing circles but I’ve never seen this become bigotry, xenophobia or hate speech. Certainly not in mainstream media though I accept that some of those with a hatred for Jewish people do also hold left wing views. There are loonies everywhere. 

This contrasts very well with the portrayal of Muslims by right wing politicians and the tabloid press. We’re all surely aware of how rags like the Daily Mail twist and distort stories and focus solely on the negative aspects of certain cultures. Tbh it’s a disgrace in this day and age, and it has been normalised to the extent that our own prime minister is responsible for demonising Muslims, gay people, and ethnic minorities in a national newspaper. It is common for people to air disgusting views about Muslims on social media and in everyday conversation.

I’m neither a Muslim nor Jewish but I lived through the troubles in Northern Ireland so I have some awareness of how dangerous it is to use pejorative terms to describe an ethnic or religious community. Drawing attention to bigotry and hate speech is important and one of the ways to deal with a spark of hatred that might become a terrible conflagration. I don’t think that the column inches devoted to a supposed antisemitic underworld on the left wing did anything to highlight any issue of concern in our society and instead that this was pushed by people with an agenda. 

Apologies for the completely off-topic rant but I had to get it off my chest!

One thing I have noticed is an incredible switch in sentient amongst expatriate Chinese on Twitter.

From hero worship of Xi Jinping and patriotic vitriol against Hong Kong

To blaming Xi for everything wrong about coronavirus including saying it escaped from a viral weapons factory to claims they are disposing of patients in crematoria before they have died to free beds to complete disbelief in any Government numbers. They are even backing the Hong Kong rebels.

Chinese family still in China are simply saying don't go home, it's not safe.

Political fall out is going to be huge.

Meanwhilst outbreaks in Italy and South Korea are very worrying and America is looking alarmingly under prepared for anything.

Between South Korea and China is North Korea and if coronavirus takes off there the situation will be hellish.

What strikes me is that the way culture is gone now, governments like Irelands will let the virus get here rather than do something like block flights from China as that would be perceived as "racist". It's ridiculous.  

13 hours ago, philipl said:

One thing I have noticed is an incredible switch in sentient amongst expatriate Chinese on Twitter.

From hero worship of Xi Jinping and patriotic vitriol against Hong Kong

To blaming Xi for everything wrong about coronavirus including saying it escaped from a viral weapons factory to claims they are disposing of patients in crematoria before they have died to free beds to complete disbelief in any Government numbers. They are even backing the Hong Kong rebels.

Chinese family still in China are simply saying don't go home, it's not safe.

Political fall out is going to be huge.

Meanwhilst outbreaks in Italy and South Korea are very worrying and America is looking alarmingly under prepared for anything.

Between South Korea and China is North Korea and if coronavirus takes off there the situation will be hellish.

I think its pretty obvious the virus was manufactured in that facility in Wuhan.

The heads already rolled for that but it's too late now.

As you say it will be interesting what happens in North Korea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-51609360

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-51609712/coronavirus-drone-captures-massive-queue-for-masks-in-south-korea

On 23/02/2020 at 20:16, The Hypnotic said:

I think you’re better trusting your own experience when trying to evaluate whether a group is discriminated against. Minority groups by their very nature will feel isolated and defensive in response to any perceived threat. Certainly there are lobby groups that represent minorities and could be considered to be over zealous in their reporting of perceived bias or discrimination. Also, I’d be suspicious that some of those in the Labour Party that complained of antisemitism would also be those who wanted Corbyn replaced; I recall that one prominent member of the Jewish Council who “feared” Corbyn was also a Tory supporter. As a previous poster mentioned, the antisemitic worries are no more now that Corbyn (perversely, a man who was dedicated to equality and opposed bigotry, and was certainly no antisemite) has been defeated and the election is over. Everyone had a bias and In my opinion it is better to try to get a neutral view from multiple sources of media or personal experience. 

As a neutral observer and having family members with a passion for the labour movement I have seen no evidence of anti-Semitic feeling in the Labour Party or in left wing politics or media (such as the Guardian or the Independent). There is a lot of criticism of the Israeli state from within left wing circles but I’ve never seen this become bigotry, xenophobia or hate speech. Certainly not in mainstream media though I accept that some of those with a hatred for Jewish people do also hold left wing views. There are loonies everywhere. 

This contrasts very well with the portrayal of Muslims by right wing politicians and the tabloid press. We’re all surely aware of how rags like the Daily Mail twist and distort stories and focus solely on the negative aspects of certain cultures. Tbh it’s a disgrace in this day and age, and it has been normalised to the extent that our own prime minister is responsible for demonising Muslims, gay people, and ethnic minorities in a national newspaper. It is common for people to air disgusting views about Muslims on social media and in everyday conversation.

I’m neither a Muslim nor Jewish but I lived through the troubles in Northern Ireland so I have some awareness of how dangerous it is to use pejorative terms to describe an ethnic or religious community. Drawing attention to bigotry and hate speech is important and one of the ways to deal with a spark of hatred that might become a terrible conflagration. I don’t think that the column inches devoted to a supposed antisemitic underworld on the left wing did anything to highlight any issue of concern in our society and instead that this was pushed by people with an agenda. 

Apologies for the completely off-topic rant but I had to get it off my chest!

10/10

On 24/02/2020 at 20:13, OldEwoodBlue said:

I think its pretty obvious the virus was manufactured in that facility in Wuhan.

The heads already rolled for that but it's too late now.

As you say it will be interesting what happens in North Korea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-51609360

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-51609712/coronavirus-drone-captures-massive-queue-for-masks-in-south-korea

This is probably hysteria but

There are reports from Wuhan and North Korea of people with covid 19 being executed.

We are playing Italy in the rugby in a fortnight, talk of the game being postponed. I suppose it really should, but I presume plenty of their fans will come to Dublin regardless. we have a great chance of keeping it out of here, but I think it's only a matter of time before it gets here. The efforts to stop it outside of Chine simply aren't ruthless enough. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Australian universities offering Chinese students a cash incentive to return to Australia and encouraging  them to circumnavigate the travel ban via a third country .

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/more-australian-universities-offer-cash-to-chinese-students-stranded-due-to-travel

Interesting seeing the empty shelves in supermarkets over here where the hand sanitisers should be. The big DIY chain out of here struggling to keep up demand for n95 and P2 masks.  But there does not seem to be much panic visible in daily life ,  Iive close to two suburbs with a high Chinese/ Asian concentration and we share parks and sports areas etc and people just seem to be carrying on as normal.

Can't say I have noticed an increase in face masks among the dog walkers or those attending sports events considering ScuMo the PM declared implementation of a emergency response plan (which will probably consist of tax payers cash finding its way into mates pockets and lots of thought and prayers from his Hillsong cult, whilst him and his family bugger off on holiday again.) and is pushing the pandemic line. A cynic would think its just trying to distract from the current spot of bother his government is involved in at the moment.

Edited by perthblue02

13 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Australian universities offering Chinese students a cash incentive to return to Australia and encouraging  them to circumnavigate the travel ban via a third country .

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/more-australian-universities-offer-cash-to-chinese-students-stranded-due-to-travel

Interesting seeing the empty shelves in supermarkets over here where the hand sanitisers should be. The big DIY chain out of here struggling to keep up demand for n95 and P2 masks.  But there does not seem to be much panic visible in daily life ,  Iive close to two suburbs with a high Chinese/ Asian concentration and we share parks and sports areas etc and people just seem to be carrying on as normal.

Can't say I have noticed an increase in face masks among the dog walkers or those attending sports events considering ScuMo the PM declared implementation of a emergency response plan (which will probably consist of tax payers cash finding its way into mates pockets and lots of thought and prayers from his Hillsong cult, whilst him and his family bugger off on holiday again.) and is pushing the pandemic line. A cynic would think its just trying to distract from the current spot of bother his government is involved in at the moment.

At work, all lines of hand gel/wipes are suspended as we simply can't get the stock in. Meanwhile we can't move for the scientifically proven most effective prevention method (bars of soap), as people simply don't buy it.

Doesnt everyone have those little bars of soap that they've brought home from hotels in the bathroom cupboard just in case?

Edited by gumboots

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

Doesnt everyone have those little bars of soap that they've brought home from hotels in the bathroom cupboard just in case?

Mrs Shoelaces always takes the little soaps. When I call her out for it she says " We've paid for these ! " Maybe it's a teacher thing ?

If anybody is planning on getting the Coronavirus my advice is to get it as soon as you can. According to my paper today there are only 15 beds available to treat the most severe cases of respiratory failure in England !   Looking on the bright side this can be increased to 30 beds in emergencies. The Government wouldn't put a Minister up this morning to be interviewed so we had to make do with a previous one in Jeremy Hunt. It's bit like getting Coyle to tell us what's happening at Rovers now.

This isn't going to end well for this Government of incompetents. The economic effects could be massive at exactly the wrong time for them, and us. We could be leaving the EU and going straight into the teeth of a world wide recession. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mrs Shoelaces always takes the little soaps. When I call her out for it she says " We've paid for these ! " Maybe it's a teacher thing ?

If anybody is planning on getting the Coronavirus my advice is to get it as soon as you can. According to my paper today there are only 15 beds available to treat the most severe cases of respiratory failure in England !   Looking on the bright side this can be increased to 30 beds in emergencies. The Government wouldn't put a Minister up this morning to be interviewed so we had to make do with a previous one in Jeremy Hunt. It's bit like getting Coyle to tell us what's happening at Rovers now.

This isn't going to end well for this Government of incompetents. The economic effects could be massive at exactly the wrong time for them, and us. We could be leaving the EU and going straight into the teeth of a world wide recession. 

Obviously you take the soap , the slippers , the shoe clean kit . 
dressing gown is frowned upon, towels total no no 

6 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Batteries from the remote, bulbs from the lamps, the bedside Bible *does sign of the Cross*...

59 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Noooooooooo. Put them back.

You missed any biscuits you haven't eaten to nibble on the way home and the sugar and coffee to take camping or caravanning with you