Just now, jodrell said:

I think the best they have come up with is you may be negative when  you arrive but have it a few days latter.

But aren't people quarantined? They could be let loose once their test result is known. Straight home or to their hotel and don't budge till you've got the result?

14 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Yeah let’s all listen to the panic and fear driven into us by the media and the government. Ten times more people died of pneumonia and normal flu last month than covid. Just saying. But go on you carry on heading for that underground bunker.

The R0 number for those diseases without safety measures is around 1-2. Covid-19's R0 is between 4-9.

It's only through lockdown measures that we've kept infection rates as low as they have been (and I believe they could've been lower).

I think if you're older it's different too. Its 60-75 year olds where we potentially have 15-30 decent years left. I want to see my grandkids reach adulthood. I want to see greatgrandkids. I dont want to struggle with avoidable health problems. 

And dont tell me about  the good hols do you. We're loving our time in France 

Last night was appalling to watch as City's and Town's nightlife across the UK was in full swing with large crowd's,no social distancing and not a Mask in sight amongst mostly the young and dare I say just plain 'don't give a toss' reckless.

Society and attitudes in general are at a low point.

Edited by A Northern Horde...

The current rate of new infections in the UK is now four times higher than it was when the desperately late lock down was introduced in March.

If the numbers were correct in March, the NHS will collapse in November.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/13/is-this-the-start-of-a-second-wave-and-is-the-uk-prepared

Hospitalisations starting to rise in Europe, and infections in the over 50's starting to slowly creep up here. Not all doom and gloom yet, but very worrying as we head into winter when the NHS  is stretched to capacity without Covid. 

55 minutes ago, A Northern Horde... said:

Society and attitudes in general are at a low point.

People following the example set by their government. They can cheat and lie "why can't we?" 

I think it’s more people have given up to be honest. It’s cost a lot of people a lot of money and their jobs in some cases.

Cases in care homes quadrupled in last month.

1 hour ago, den said:

Cases in care homes quadrupled in last month.

Always been the smoking gun den, has been swept under the carpet by the government and like most Covid decisions is now being managed at local level where blame can be attributed if required.

Who works in care homes? 20-35yr olds, where Covid is running wild, are our younger people unwittingly spreading this virus through the sector? 

Could be time to lock down again across the country, the Tory mixed messages have caused the rates to rise, a lock down could we be required to get this back under control. 

But I can’t see it happening, looks like the government are just going to allow this to play out, boosting the economy is the only think that matters.

Edited by Gav

The majority of care home infections at the moment are care workers. It's slowly now infecting the residents. They can't let this get out of hand again like last time. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/concerns-as-coronavirus-cases-in-uk-care-homes-quadruple-in-a-month/ar-BB18YSpa?ocid=msedgntp

4.5m people could be asked to shield again if it gets any worse. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-coronavirus-live-4-5-million-vulnerable-people-could-be-told-to-self-isolate-amid-virus-surge-with-care-homes-put-on-alert/ar-BB18YM8X?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

and while all this is happening, Hancock is dissuading people from getting tested. Are they making the same mistakes as they did in March when the govt stopped testing completely and let the virus become rampant?

Maybe they are.

9 hours ago, den said:

and while all this is happening, Hancock is dissuading people from getting tested. Are they making the same mistakes as they did in March when the govt stopped testing completely and let the virus become rampant?

Maybe they are.

True story, happened last week.

An elderly lady my wife knows and her friend were feeling ill and had symptoms.  They live near prestwich and the nearest test centre was in Rochdale.   They got a taxi and when they arrived the queue was so long at the test centre they decided not to bother and went for a drink instead.

2 days later she got a positive test result.😄😃

Chaos by the looks of it.

Above from Kamy I believe. Hope he doesn’t mind me moving it over from Twitter.

This is the state of testing at the beginning of what might be the second wave.

Edited by den

Makes the £100 billion moonshot look like moonshine.

Actually it is just another scam to steal public money for private pockets.

22 hours ago, philipl said:

The current rate of new infections in the UK is now four times higher than it was when the desperately late lock down was introduced in March.

If the numbers were correct in March, the NHS will collapse in November.

Don't think that stacks up though, testing is much more widespread so the actual number of infected is much lower.

Kings College modelling reckons around 2 million were infected when lockdown hit in march. Today it's 45k.

10 hours ago, den said:

Above from Kamy I believe. Hope he doesn’t mind me moving it over from Twitter.

This is the state of testing at the beginning of what might be the second wave.

I think the government's line is that the severe insufficiency of tests is due to a lack of lab capacity.

Does beg the question why haven't we improved the lab capacity sufficiently? Surely it was an obvious problem if test kits required were outstripping the ability to analyse then.

22 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I think it’s more people have given up to be honest. It’s cost a lot of people a lot of money and their jobs in some cases.

Exactly this . I know I’ve stopped caring . 

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

True story, happened last week.

An elderly lady my wife knows and her friend were feeling ill and had symptoms.  They live near prestwich and the nearest test centre was in Rochdale.   They got a taxi and when they arrived the queue was so long at the test centre they decided not to bother and went for a drink instead.

2 days later she got a positive test result.😄😃

Chaos by the looks of it.

She got a positive result without a test ?

6 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

She got a positive result without a test ?

Yes. Just to add football context....Ben Whiteman's grandma....

Edited by Sparks Rover

41 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think the government's line is that the severe insufficiency of tests is due to a lack of lab capacity.

Does beg the question why haven't we improved the lab capacity sufficiently? Surely it was an obvious problem if test kits required were outstripping the ability to analyse then.

Didn't they say they'd built a number of popup facilities to improve capacity? Still nowhere near enough as you say jbn.

Blackburn have stopped walk up testing now, government decision, not a local one.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18717921.coronavirus-testing-sites-no-longer-accepting-walk-ins/

But the good news is that we seem to be getting on top of the disease thankfully, no deaths from Covid in East Lancs hospitals in latest data:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18717439.no-trust-covid-deaths-weeks/

Edited by Gav