Kamy went on to say he managed to get a test by booking one when they went online at 8 a.m. apparently there were only 50 slots for the whole of Blackburn.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Didn't they say they'd built a number of popup facilities to improve capacity? Still nowhere near enough as you say jbn.

Blackburn have stopped walk up testing now, government decision, not a local one.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18717921.coronavirus-testing-sites-no-longer-accepting-walk-ins/

But the good news is that we seem to be getting on top of the disease thankfully, no deaths from Covid in East Lancs hospitals in latest data:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18717439.no-trust-covid-deaths-weeks/

Unfortunately Gav I don't think we'll be able to say we're getting on top of the disease until at least next Spring.

What will be interesting is to see if the problems we are facing in the UK are being seen in other large countries in Western Europe. The basic mechanic must be the same - vast demand for tests outstripping capacity for analysis, and the UK has actually got the largest capacity I think of anywhere. So presumably, if that is correct, situation in other countries must be chaotic as well.

Anyone got any insight into how testing etc is progressing in Spain/Italy/France/Germany? I guess the only real option if you can expand supply is to restrict the demand. But then that leads to other severe issues.

I haven't heard any complaints here in Brittany about difficulty getting tests.

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Unfortunately Gav I don't think we'll be able to say we're getting on top of the disease until at least next Spring.

Yes I take your point TS, but clearly we are making great strides in regards to the treatment on offer, people seem to be surviving rather than dying as we learn more about the disease.

But no doubt about it, we are in for a long winter, I just hope we are prepared, unlike most other winters when NHS capacity hits breaking point as soon as it’s gets cold.

Kier Starmer self-isolating as a member of his household is symptomatic.

Edited by Gav

Do we still have the nightingale hospitals or have they been closed down? 

12 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Do we still have the nightingale hospitals or have they been closed down? 

Still there but unused at the moment.

It's actually holding up a job for me at the moment. Govt advice seems to be cannot dismantle until pandemic is dealt with, however they anticipate that after Feb 2021 we can start to reduce the capacity of Nightingales. Apparently second wave due between Nov - Jan. 

That was the advice as of 2 months ago, unsure if it has changed but if so it hasn't been passed on to me.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Still there but unused at the moment.

It's actually holding up a job for me at the moment. Govt advice seems to be cannot dismantle until pandemic is dealt with, however they anticipate that after Feb 2021 we can start to reduce the capacity of Nightingales. Apparently second wave due between Nov - Jan. 

That was the advice as of 2 months ago, unsure if it has changed but if so it hasn't been passed on to me.

Read something yesterday that they are readying the one in London for expected 2nd wave in October. I presume the rest are on stand-by too. 

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Read something yesterday that they are readying the one in London for expected 2nd wave in October. I presume the rest are on stand-by too. 

It would make sense with the whole London being x amount of weeks ahead of the rest of the country.

I think whilst the pandemic was in full swing in the North West / East it was more or less to manageable levels in London.

The Nightingale in question with my feedback is in Manchester. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought forward the timeline of expected 2nd wave either given what is going on at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

How exactly are we going to honestly differentiate between this and the usual winter stuff we deal with ?

Its going to be a nightmare for employers if everyone who has a cold or flu has to self isolate for 14 days. Testing needs to better and quicker before winter hits. 

13 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

How exactly are we going to honestly differentiate between this and the usual winter stuff we deal with ?

Excess deaths, probably. 

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Its going to be a nightmare for employers if everyone who has a cold or flu has to self isolate for 14 days. Testing needs to better and quicker before winter hits. 

I think we are entering the age of ultra nonsense.  Every little bug snuff cold is going to be chalked up as this 

48 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It would make sense with the whole London being x amount of weeks ahead of the rest of the country.

I think whilst the pandemic was in full swing in the North West / East it was more or less to manageable levels in London.

The Nightingale in question with my feedback is in Manchester. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought forward the timeline of expected 2nd wave either given what is going on at the moment.

I think the roles have reversed a bit. London was the first hotspot in the 1st wave and will potentially be one of the last in the 2nd wave (if what we are experiencing in the North and Midlands is a 2nd wave).

15 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I think we are entering the age of ultra nonsense.  Every little bug snuff cold is going to be chalked up as this 

Not if there's proper testing that is readily accessible. Blame the Govt for that one.

14 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Not if there's proper testing that is readily accessible. Blame the Govt for that one.

I don’t hold my breath , if something practical happened they wouldn’t be able to continue spinning out this insane fantasy 

59 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Excess deaths, probably. 

Excess deaths are how they measure the impact of flu each year so we might struggle to differentiate. 

Interesting news from a friend. His kid had symptoms, went on line, no tests to be found. Heard on the grapevine you could just turn up in Hackney where he lives. Turned up, place nearly empty, got tested straight away. Suggests at least some of the issue is poor systems failing rather than capacity only.

2 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Excess deaths last 5 years average can be compared to excess deaths this year. Crude but effective.

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Excess deaths are how they measure the impact of flu each year so we might struggle to differentiate. 

Exactly . The excess  deaths fad has been and gone , disappeared into a puff of smoke with the nightingales , the ventilator demand etc all wrapped up in 10 percent of ‘deaths ‘ swept under the carpet 

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Excess deaths last 5 years average can be compared to excess deaths this year. Crude but effective.

That went out the window when they wiped the slate of about 5k

Interestingly in the Southern Hemisphere which is coming out of Winter, they have had the fewest cases of flu in the last 50 years.

It appears that by being careful about Covid infection, they have also not passed on the flu.  

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Interestingly in the Southern Hemisphere which is coming out of Winter, they have had the fewest cases of flu in the last 50 years.

It appears that by being careful about Covid infection, they have also not passed on the flu.  

Really all that’s happened is that they I’ve been more careful than usual about flu