Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

Really all that’s happened is that they I’ve been more careful than usual about flu 

Getting too silly now.

Why be careful about flu in 2020 and not in any other year???

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2020/08/22/why-the-economic-value-of-a-face-mask-is-5614

The Economist  has calculated the benefit to the economy of each additional person wearing a mask is $56.

I would immediately make mask wearing mandatory in all circumstances and in all locations.

4 minutes ago, philipl said:

Getting too silly now.

Why be careful about flu in 2020 and not in any other year???

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2020/08/22/why-the-economic-value-of-a-face-mask-is-5614

The Economist  has calculated the benefit to the economy of each additional person wearing a mask is $56.

I would immediately make mask wearing mandatory in all circumstances and in all locations.

I’m sure we are always careful about it , what really silly is dancing to the tune of your Tory masters . We have lived to live 

Edited by Inglorious basturk

5 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I’m sure we are always careful about it , what really silly is dancing to the tune of your Tory masters . We have lived to live 

Tory masters scarcely get as far as Dover never mind the Southern Hemisphere

Didn't know where to put this but will be interesting to see how this rugby match goes. Gloucester v Harlequins playing tonight are allowing 1,000 fans back at Kingsholm. In order to keep people safe the clubs plan is:

- provide hand sanitizers

- everyone has a time for arriving

- nobody in a group more than two

- social distancing at least two meters apart with stewards ensuring this happens

- all drinks and food served in seats so nobody has to get up.

The club stress is not about the financial impact but they want to show its safe to have fans back in with the hope that 5,000+ will be allowed. Ground capacity is just over 16k.

This is after all Rugby and would not work at Ewood. 

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Interesting news from a friend. His kid had symptoms, went on line, no tests to be found. Heard on the grapevine you could just turn up in Hackney where he lives. Turned up, place nearly empty, got tested straight away. Suggests at least some of the issue is poor systems failing rather than capacity only.

Getting tested is one thing, getting the swabs processed is another. Once there is a significant back log in getting the swabs analysed the whole system is liable to fall over.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Didn't know where to put this but will be interesting to see how this rugby match goes. Gloucester v Harlequins playing tonight are allowing 1,000 fans back at Kingsholm. In order to keep people safe the clubs plan is:

- provide hand sanitizers

- everyone has a time for arriving

- nobody in a group more than two

- social distancing at least two meters apart with stewards ensuring this happens

- all drinks and food served in seats so nobody has to get up.

The club stress is not about the financial impact but they want to show its safe to have fans back in with the hope that 5,000+ will be allowed. Ground capacity is just over 16k.

This is after all Rugby and would not work at Ewood. 

Was great to see some fans back cheering from the sidelines. 

Hope it all went well and no issues come from it. 

Didn't help their team tho. They were awful tonight.  

I've had to self isolate for the last 10 days or so. I'm due to have a minor day surgical procedure on Friday and a swab test tomorrow prior to the procedure. From what I'm reading regarding the complete lack of current testing what are the chances that either the swab test doesn't go ahead tomorrow or the procedure is cancelled on Friday because the results of the test haven't been analysed ?

I'll be livid if this is the case because I had to chose between cancelling quite an urgent dental appointment or cancelling the medical procedure. I couldn't isolate and see the dentist in that period. When I asked if my medical procedure could be moved by a week the answer was " Yes, we can move you, right back to the beginning of the 5 month waiting list ! "

Looks like Johnson's pal, " Dozy Dido Harding " the testing czarina, has struck again. I suppose it could have been worse, they could have put " Failing Grayling " in charge of the tests !  

I know times are tough but has there ever been a more incompetent government ?

Wish you luck Tyrone, hope your op goes ahead okay.

Doubts are now being raised as to the cause of Non availability of testing.  From sky news....

Labs 'still churning through huge amounts of samples'

Professor Alan McNally, director of the institute of microbiology and infection at the University of Birmingham, has said there are "clearly underlying issues which nobody wants to tell us about", as well as a surge in demand for tests.

"The labs are still fully staffed, they are still churning through huge amounts of samples per day - the same number as they were a couple of months ago - so there are problems elsewhere in the chain," he told BBC Breakfast.

Professor McNally, who helped set up the Milton Keynes Lighthouse Lab, added: "I think the testing situation of Birmingham is the exact same as we're hearing in other parts of the country ... lots of people struggling to get tests and no real quantity of information on why that's the case.

"I think this is multi-factorial. I think you almost have a perfect storm of events that have come together to almost essentially crash the testing system.

"I think there is a surge in demand (and) I think our stated capacity is very different from actually how many tests can be run in a given day.

"It's very worrying that we seem to be in a situation before really we've come into autumn and winter where we've maxed out the number of tests we can do in the country, and that is very concerning."

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Thanks for that Phillip and Den. Everything went well with the test. I was only in the out patients dept for about 5 minutes. Two jolly nurses put me at ease. I'm like a child with anything put to the back of my throat. I've been like that since I had my tonsils out as an adult, the back of throat seems very sensitive.  But it wasn't too bad. The swab up your nose was nothing in comparison.  I'm just hoping the test goes through on time and I get the minor procedure done on Friday

The leader of south ribble borough council addressing residents concerns about testing capacity.

Statement from Leader of South Ribble Borough Council, Paul Foster in relation to COVID19 testing capacity in the borough

“The facts are stark in that the testing capacity is currently woefully inadequate to meet the demand. Government must stop, please, advising otherwise as it is sending out a wholly inaccurate, confusing message to people already experiencing huge stress with either COVID symptoms, ill children, self-isolation or the inability to work.

https://www.southribble.gov.uk/leader-statement-re-Covid-testing-16-september-2020?fbclid=IwAR3wgSo0ygBtMF5S7LGx3ToQDwC6tpGlOllvQyIglOavLQOW0inaFGYH5p0

Edited by den

is this a Dido special? She’s in charge of all this isn’t she. 

Some would call it professional negligence really. They’ve had plenty of time to plan for this, including two months when we weren’t locked down and with plenty of labour spare.

no one seen PM Johnson comments about testing to the liaison committee this afternoon then? 

testing capacity

“We don’t have enough testing capacity now because, in an ideal world, I would like to test absolutely everybody that wants a test immediately.”

He promised that there would be capacity for 500,000 tests a day by the end of October.

But he urged people without symptoms to stay away from testing centres - although he acknowledged the reasons why they may want to find out if they had Covid-19.

“What has happened is demand has massively accelerated just in the last couple of weeks

When people should get a test

“Many people are seeking to get a test in the hope that they can thereby be released to get on with their lives in the normal way - people who have come into contact with someone who has tested positive, for instance, they are seeking to get a test to ensure that they are OK to go to work.”

He told the Liaison Committee: “That is perfectly reasonable, and I understand why people are doing that, but the advice and the guidance is that people should seek a test not in those circumstances but when they have symptoms.”

on pupils being sent home

“The reasons for sending such a class home, or a bubble home, would be if somebody tests positive,”

What’s being done to increase test availability

Everything is being done that we possibly can to increase testing capacity.”

Boris Johnson told the Liaison Committee that includes “automation, batch testing, securing supplies abroad”.

He said a total of four new labs were being built across the country and 300 people were being hired.

“Testing capacity just in the last two weeks has gone up 10%,”

Edited by chaddyrovers

Chaddy - there’s a difference between capacity and the number of tests actually being done. I’m led to believe there is a capacity of over 300,000 tests a day now but nothing like that are actually being done.

As for Johnson’s promise of 500,000 by the end of October - how many times now has he he promised a number of tests by a specific date? He has missed every single one so far, mostly by a huge margin. Why should anyone believe this one? These targets are just to provide a headline for his compliant press and to deflect from answering questions.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

no one seen PM Johnson comments about testing to the liaison committee this afternoon then? 

testing capacity

“We don’t have enough testing capacity now because, in an ideal world, I would like to test absolutely everybody that wants a test immediately.”

He promised that there would be capacity for 500,000 tests a day by the end of October.

But he urged people without symptoms to stay away from testing centres - although he acknowledged the reasons why they may want to find out if they had Covid-19.

“What has happened is demand has massively accelerated just in the last couple of weeks

When people should get a test

“Many people are seeking to get a test in the hope that they can thereby be released to get on with their lives in the normal way - people who have come into contact with someone who has tested positive, for instance, they are seeking to get a test to ensure that they are OK to go to work.”

He told the Liaison Committee: “That is perfectly reasonable, and I understand why people are doing that, but the advice and the guidance is that people should seek a test not in those circumstances but when they have symptoms.”

on pupils being sent home

“The reasons for sending such a class home, or a bubble home, would be if somebody tests positive,”

What’s being done to increase test availability

Everything is being done that we possibly can to increase testing capacity.”

Boris Johnson told the Liaison Committee that includes “automation, batch testing, securing supplies abroad”.

He said a total of four new labs were being built across the country and 300 people were being hired.

“Testing capacity just in the last two weeks has gone up 10%,”

All meaningless bullshit. 

This is from The S*n, I'm surprised you haven't posted it. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12672319/coronavirus-crisis-hospitals-medics-cant-get-tests-worst-hit-areas/

The Govt are a hopeless disgrace. 

4 hours ago, den said:

The leader of south ribble borough council addressing residents concerns about testing capacity.

Statement from Leader of South Ribble Borough Council, Paul Foster in relation to COVID19 testing capacity in the borough

“The facts are stark in that the testing capacity is currently woefully inadequate to meet the demand. Government must stop, please, advising otherwise as it is sending out a wholly inaccurate, confusing message to people already experiencing huge stress with either COVID symptoms, ill children, self-isolation or the inability to work.

https://www.southribble.gov.uk/leader-statement-re-Covid-testing-16-september-2020?fbclid=IwAR3wgSo0ygBtMF5S7LGx3ToQDwC6tpGlOllvQyIglOavLQOW0inaFGYH5p0

At least you would hope that the government wouldn't make things worse!

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

The surest way of dramatically slowing the virus is to make mask wearing in all locations compulsory.

That and a continued drive on good hygiene, particularly hand washing.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

The surest way is to lock down the country again, people can't be trusted to follow simple guidelines, the government can't issue simple guidelines to follow.

We need another lock down country wide to get on top of this or Christmas will be ruined for many at this rate.

We also need this testing fiasco sorting out, no point shouting from the rooftops the numbers we're testing when clearly its not enough in some ares of the country, people being turned away for tests, the system appointments gone by 8.10 am.

Shambles. 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Interesting to see how this plays out. If true, and Govt ignores 'the science', they are in a very difficult spot once people start dying. 

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1306496397529751552?s=20

Not sure how to post a tweet link as a visual but it appears he has backtracked a bit this morning.

Edited by Hasta

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1306496397529751552?s=20

Not sure how to post a tweet link as a visual but it appears he has backtracked a bit this morning.

Open the actual tweet and copy and paste the https bit (URL) at the top of the page

He's set a few hares racing no doubt. He needs new ITK's!

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He's set a few hares racing no doubt. He needs new ITK's!

I bet he's carnage on a transfer window thread.