Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

The deficit is or was at its lowest for over 10 years, the economy is back on track, employment up etc, I don't think we can lay the blame of this virus at Boris' door....

 The amount of debt doubled under the Tories even though interest rates were at record low levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

The deficit is or was at its lowest for over 10 years, the economy is back on track, employment up etc, I don't think we can lay the blame of this virus at Boris' door....

On no planet does that make any sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Q. Does anyone know someone who was tested and confirmed positive ?

Q. Does anyone know someone who died ?

Didn't think so.

 

This is worth a watch

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597?fbclid=IwAR0g2rTTI0dhNxmAggXm5B4LDFwBC1l0NNs-pj7oOnbm2oFjFxgFYE6LMNo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

The deficit is or was at its lowest for over 10 years, the economy is back on track, employment up etc, I don't think we can lay the blame of this virus at Boris' door....

Borrowed more since 2010 than every Labour government in history; worst recovery from 2008-0 GFC than any leading economy; worst inequality of any G7 nation; one of the worst productivity records in the G20;  worst regional inequality of any leading industrialised nation; record child poverty; food banks; zero-hours contracts; slashed workers' rights; lowest level of housebuilding since 1920s; lowest savings rate since records began; etc etc

Meanwhile back to the virus and the magic money tree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Borrowed more since 2010 than every Labour government in history; worst recovery from 2008-0 GFC than any leading economy; worst inequality of any G7 nation; one of the worst productivity records in the G20;  worst regional inequality of any leading industrialised nation; record child poverty; food banks; zero-hours contracts; slashed workers' rights; lowest level of housebuilding since 1920s; lowest savings rate since records began; etc etc

Meanwhile back to the virus and the magic money tree

But still totally annihilated the totally shyte Labour party by the largest majority in living memory. 

 

Meanwhile back to planet earth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silas said:

Yes. One of my Mum's Bridge club pals.

82 year old. 

Died Thursday after having been on a ventilator 4 days since Sunday. 

From the first few comments reporting on the death:

 

FrustratedCumbrian20th March 5:03 pm

It's not just the elderly it's affecting, my husband is having chemotherapy = little to no immune system. So all you idiots who don't socially isolate means that when I have to go to the shops to get vital supplies, and I get it, who's going to care for my seriously Ill husband? Or take him for his chemotherapy? Or look after our young son? 
Selfish folk out and about.......I hope you don't have to worry as much as I have to now on a daily basis more than I did already!

Last Updated: 20th March 10:33 pm

 

Tattie Peel20th March 6:10 pm

If only the tories had not trashed the NHS through austerity! Get rid of 17,000 beds and rent 8000 EMPTY beds from the private health service at £2.4 million a day! 
Why not commandeer them?
 
 
 
All and can say is, both posts make me pretty sad. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your mum's friend, @Silas. Sad to read something like this, as well as others who know people affected by it. Also sad to read a couple of extremely inconsiderate and selfish posts in the last 12 hours or so. People still think that, because it doesn't affect them or their friends and family, then everything is fine and we're all overreacting. Preventing this virus from spreading is the order of the day, and I just hope that one or two comments don't come back to bite certain posters in the arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Q. Does anyone know someone who was tested and confirmed positive ?

Q. Does anyone know someone who died ?

Didn't think so.

 

That’s the best you’ve got? The ‘If I don’t see the fire then why should I leave the building?’ mentality? 
Waiting to react until someone you know falls ill is reckless. Park the scepticism and follow the rules.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Q. Does anyone know someone who was tested and confirmed positive ?

Q. Does anyone know someone who died ?

Didn't think so.

 

This is what I keep thinking , I’m 99.99999 percent convinced it’s all about something else 

 

but im not going to start playing games with something none of us will ever get close to understanding . I’m just going to follow the rules in the hope it gets us us out of the other side ASAP 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yes, 4 different people.

No, not yet at least.

You do know people who have tested positive ?  I’ve no reason not to believe you 

however do you think it could just a any other flu/ virus rebadged ? 
 

that said I reiterate I still take it all very seriously as its way beyond our understanding whatever it may be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Silas said:

Yes. One of my Mum's Bridge club pals.

82 year old. 

Died Thursday after having been on a ventilator 4 days since Sunday. 

I’d ask you the same question , could it be a rebadging ? It would be very easy to rebadge an old dear getting a virus and giving it this name . 
 

again I would stress however let’s take it very seriously 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Fixed it for you. 

My wife is a nurse and when speaking with paramedics said they've been taking people in for testing all week. To deny this is going on and is some kind of hoax is simply loony tunes behaviour. You're telling me the WHO, the govt, all media are all in on it, all around the world? The NHS? 

I think it’s going on , i think there is a virus but there is part of me that thinks it could have been last year or next , or any other but for some reason this year we have been alerted to it and it’s been made to look really serious ... I don’t know it just doesn’t sit quite right . 
despite all of that let’s still be very serious about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Conspiracy theorists, this isn’t your time to shine, it’s really low in fact. 
Just do as you’re told, for everyone else, if not yourself. The quicker you do, the quicker we get back to going to the pub and doing all the things we love again. It’s not complicated.

Exactly this . I do think there is an element of conspiracy to it all and I suppose it’s fair discussion 

but that’s all it is so let’s just act together for each other and get things back to normal and get pathetic  things like final hurrahs at the pub out of our systems . It’s not a time for point scoring either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoogo said:

Sorry to hear about your mum's friend, @Silas

Thanks. Never met her, but certainly has my Mum spooked. Luckily, my folks have been holed up in their house for a good 10 days now. There's a box at end of the drive that we put food in, and they take it in and wash it. Trying not to take any chances.

 

34 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I’d ask you the same question , could it be a rebadging ? It would be very easy to rebadge an old dear getting a virus and giving it this name . 

Stop being so naive. She was perfectly fine going about her day to day life normally, and then within 6 days she was dead. It's as black and white as they come.

That's what this virus does to the oldies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

You do know people who have tested positive ?  I’ve no reason not to believe you 

however do you think it could just a any other flu/ virus rebadged ? 
 

that said I reiterate I still take it all very seriously as its way beyond our understanding whatever it may be 

Nope, all 4 are legit tested positive, rather than just being fluey.

One of dad's old golfing buddies, and 3 customers I deliver to. Regulars for at least the 3 years I've done it as well, so I trust they're genuine. One is a teenager, one a builder in his 30s, one elderly in a care home.

It's a threat, for sure.

Edited by Mike E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Silas said:

Thanks. Never met her, but certainly has my Mum spooked. Luckily, my folks have been holed up in their house for a good 10 days now. There's a box at end of the drive that we put food in, and they take it in and wash it. Trying not to take any chances.

 

Stop being so naive. She was perfectly fine going about her day to day life normally, and then within 6 days she was dead. It's as black and white as they come.

That's what this virus does to the oldies. 

I’m not being naive , this happens to oldies sadly every year and I worry about by old dad . It’s just crossed my mind that the bigger picture doesn’t seem quite right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

But still totally annihilated the totally shyte Labour party by the largest majority in living memory. 

 

Meanwhile back to planet earth

Obviously the electorate doesn't grasp facts very well. Such is the nature of identity politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Nope, all 4 are legit tested positive, rather than just being fluey.

One of dad's old golfing buddies, and 3 customers I deliver to. Regulars for at least the 3 years I've done it as well, so I trust they're genuine.

I suppose for now we do just have to take it all on face value for the sake of looking after one another . The niggle I have that the symptoms are quite ambiguous needs to be pushed to the back of my mind as I’ll never ever know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

I suppose for now we do just have to take it all on face value for the sake of looking after one another . The niggle I have that the symptoms are quite ambiguous needs to be pushed to the back of my mind as I’ll never ever know 

I thought that myself for a few weeks back in Feb, but as you say just decided to be vigilant anyway. But now, I'm convinced of the legitimacy and have been probably for about 3-4 weeks.

I can see why it doesn't sit right, but lots of illnesses with differing lethality have similar symptoms. I've watched enough House and Grey's Anatomy to know that 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I thought that myself for a few weeks back in Feb, but as you say just decided to be vigilant anyway. But now, I'm convinced of the legitimacy and have been probably for about 3-4 weeks.

I can see why it doesn't sit right, but lots of illnesses with differing lethality have similar symptoms. I've watched enough House and Grey's Anatomy to know that 😂😂

I’m an expert too I’ve been binge watching ER. I think the truth is perhaps somewhere in the middle , perhaps we have in the past been somewhat complacent about seasonal flus and how they are a big killer . Maybe this was the time to really make us think of our social behaviours . I dunno , you have a lot of thoughts at a time like this , it’s natural . 
 

whatever it is I won’t be careless about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the same. It's not, for most of us, quite real yet. But I've been being increasingly careful for the last month or more. I dont go to pubs often anyway but I do eat in restaurants and go to cinema. I cut down and was careful to wash hands stringently even if I didn't think I'd touched anything. I made sure I didn't sit near anyone but then I dont anyway as I need space around me. I've been taking it seriously even if I'm not quite convinced it's as serious as it sounds yet. I dont want it to affect anyone I know if it is that bad and I'm doing my best to avoid spreading it in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All I maintain is that on this earth there are pestilences and there are victims, and it's up to us, so far as possible, not to join forces with the pestilences.
Albert Camus, The Plague
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Of concluded cases:

Spanish Flu killed 2-4% of patients, depending where you look.

Coronavirus is killing 11% of patients who have it.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The 11% figure is only based on the ‘Closed Cases,’ Mike and presumably only on those who have been tested. In reality, you could probably multiply the figure, of those who have it, by ten. Those people (my son is one) who have had the exact symptoms but have not been tested because they are simply at home isolating. That would bring the percentage down to around 0.5%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.