Testing is a shit show EA, that’s the bottom line and has been since day 1.

41 minutes ago, den said:

Nah, the flu jab isn’t a live vaccine.

What is it then Den ? I'm curious. My surgery had four doctors all injecting , bang, bang, bang. You came in the front door and were let out the back door. It was like an assembly line. You had to be wearing a short sleeved shirt. They must have done hundreds yesterday morning, people were walking up like it was a football match.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What is it then Den ? I'm curious. My surgery had four doctors all injecting , bang, bang, bang. You came in the front door and were let out the back door. It was like an assembly line. You had to be wearing a short sleeved shirt. They must have done hundreds yesterday morning, people were walking up like it was a football match.

You must have had flu jabs before Tyrone?

All I know is it’s not a live vaccine. My wife doesn’t want to have them but has to have them because of me. She moans to the doctor every year that they give her the flu, but he flatly rejects that because of what I said earlier. Apparently it’s a vaccine for the three most threatening strains of flu that are on their way from Asia. If you want a total guess, I reckon they’re either a dead version of the flu - meaning it can’t spread within the body, or they are simulated flu strains that the body fights against then recognises when the real version appears.

Have to say I've never had a flu jab and I'm not about to start at my old age. Haven't had a serious cold in 15 years.  I won't be taking the corona jab either if / when it ever becomes available. You have to die of something. Having sad that, I'm not anti-vaxxer. The anti-MMR lot should be towed out so sea in a boat and the boat torpedoed. 

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Have to say I've never had a flu jab and I'm not about to start at my old age. Haven't had a serious cold in 15 years.  I won't be taking the corona jab either if / when it ever becomes available. You have to die of something. Having sad that, I'm not anti-vaxxer. The anti-MMR lot should be towed out so sea in a boat and the boat torpedoed. 

Shame. Don’t be silly, just have  the jab.

1 minute ago, den said:

Shame. Don’t be silly, just have  the jab.

No thanks Den. I've seen perfectly healthy people become ill after having them - not for me. It's like anything else - if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

1 hour ago, den said:

You must have had flu jabs before Tyrone?

All I know is it’s not a live vaccine. My wife doesn’t want to have them but has to have them because of me. She moans to the doctor every year that they give her the flu, but he flatly rejects that because of what I said earlier. Apparently it’s a vaccine for the three most threatening strains of flu that are on their way from Asia. If you want a total guess, I reckon they’re either a dead version of the flu - meaning it can’t spread within the body, or they are simulated flu strains that the body fights against then recognises when the real version appears.

I've had it every years since 2010. Mrs Shoelaces said I either got the injection or a divorce ! I'm not 100% sure she was joking.

54 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

No thanks Den. I've seen perfectly healthy people become ill after having them - not for me. It's like anything else - if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

A friend of ours had the flu jab and the pneumonia jab at the same time just before flying out to join us in Spain one Christmas. He was really rough all the fortnight we were out there.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Thought you were more sensible than that Jim.

We agree on most things but in my case and I think for many others it doesn't make sense, Den. Touch wood, apart from damaged knee joints and a chronic back from years of playing sport I've always been quite healthy so I've never felt the need to have a flu jab and don't see the point in risking having one that might make me feel poorly. 

If it makes any difference Jim, the Independent had an article about a week ago suggesting that anyone who gets flu is at significantly more risk of catching the virus.

My wife has come temporarily out of retirement to help with flu jabs at her old surgery in Bamber Bridge for the last two Saturdays. They have been getting through hundreds a day.

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

We agree on most things but in my case and I think for many others it doesn't make sense, Den. Touch wood, apart from damaged knee joints and a chronic back from years of playing sport I've always been quite healthy so I've never felt the need to have a flu jab and don't see the point in risking having one that might make me feel poorly. 

It may make you feel a bit rough for a night but a couple of NSAID's before bed and you'll be fine the next day.  

I'll certainly not change your mind but you aren't helping yourself. Unfortunately there are millions like you. The promised land that is a coronavirus vaccine won't be the success touted as there will be many who won't get it. 

Andrew Wakefield has a lot to answer for.

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The promised land that is a coronavirus vaccine won't be the success touted as there will be many who won't get it. 

A lot of people who arent anti-vaxers will be wary of any vaccine which is perceived to have been rushed through / corners cut. Whether or not their concerns are justified. 

18 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It may make you feel a bit rough for a night but a couple of NSAID's before bed and you'll be fine the next day.  

I'll certainly not change your mind but you aren't helping yourself. Unfortunately there are millions like you. The promised land that is a coronavirus vaccine won't be the success touted as there will be many who won't get it. 

Andrew Wakefield has a lot to answer for.

I agree on Wakefield - see my previous post. 

The water cannon situation was all a tad embarrassing wasn't it? I'm sure there were plans to sell them on to Macedonia or somewhere before human rights groups got involved. It became a real sticking point. Sadiq Khan promised to deal with the problem of his predecessor but eventually only managed to claw back £11k. Hardly his fault - you can't sell ice to eskimos.

As for the latest Coronavirus restrictions the police are now saying the 10pm curfew is doing more damage than good. I could have probably told you that the very day it was announced to be truthful. A bunch of pissed up folk all kicked out at the same time - all it has done is push forward the 3am kick out time to 10pm.

The bars in Westminster are allowed to stay open though, in a further kick to the balls of the general public. "Do as we say, not as we do" is a common trend coming out of Westminster now, and whilst our politicians are swigging into the early hours of the morning the plebs of this country are told to abide by draconian rules to 'save our NHS'. No doubt there will be a clap being announced for all businesses in hospitality / food and drink soon for their commitment to the cause.

Elsewhere we have entire groups of 18-21 year olds being forced to go to university campuses, only to be told they have to self-isolate in a 10m2 room following reports of "symptoms" of covid-19. Freshers flu is now entirely eradicated from the world, and henceforth any cough or cold has to be Covid-19 and hundreds, if not thousands, of people should self isolate as a result.

All the talk of the initial lockdown being so harsh in order for us to be able to prepare has been silenced. We still haven't prepared, and now the government has the added bonus that a large portion of our electorate are suitably shit-up to back further harsh lockdowns to "get hold of the virus". Indeed, there are some which completely dismiss the lack of risk to under 30s and think "well, if we have to suffer so should they".

Ironically, the general consensus now is that it is the youngsters fault for this 2nd wave. "Irresponsible" and "selfish" youths who are propelling this silent killer, despite the fact evidence is now emerging that the average age of Covid-19 deaths is higher than the average UK life expectancy. Nobody knows for certain if this average life expectancy is the figure before or after 2 million cancer appointments have been missed....

The whole continent of Europe is becoming a joke with ever increasing restrictions on our lives whilst the 'surge' in infection rates is unrelenting. Nevermind though, so long as the place you are going charges VAT you should be ok...providing you go before 10pm....and providing you wear a mask....until you start drinking.

@Dreams of 1995 wont quote the whole post but that's pretty spot on IMO. Welcome to the covid-denier club. We have tea and biscuits and some flat earth literature. 

Reading through the press over the weekend its clear that the 1922 Tory boys club are trying to derail the decision making at the top of government. The Covid restrictions are not debated currently, its policy on the fly in many cases, but is required in my opinion.

The 1922 club are keen to unlock the country, boost the economy, support big business, allow older people to "Take their chances" with this deadly virus. They probably live behind high walls and send 'The Help' shopping, most normal people don't have that luxury.

MP's are paid to debate policy, I get that completely, but this is a dangerous moment.

If 1922 Tory boys club get their way they'll set the sights on unlocking us in no time and people will die, probably from poorer backgrounds and BAME groups mostly.

A YouGov poll recently said only 14% of people think the restrictions are to harsh, the silent majority are happy with the current restrictions with a significant number thinking we should go further.

On Wednesday we will see if the speaker will select the amendment.

Edited by Gav

Alcohol will no longer be sold after 10pm in Houses of Parliament after media reports made it public that Government bars were exempt from the 10pm rule. They must have forgot!

Can't imagine there'd have been that many customers since March but who would police it anyway.  

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

Reading through the press over the weekend its clear that the 1922 Tory boys club are trying to derail the decision making at the top of government. The Covid restrictions are not debated currently, its policy on the fly in many cases, but is required in my opinion.

The 1922 club are keen to unlock the country, boost the economy, support big business, allow older people to "Take their chances" with this deadly virus. They probably live behind high walls and send 'The Help' shopping, most normal people don't have that luxury.

MP's are paid to debate policy, I get that completely, but this is a dangerous moment.

If 1922 Tory boys club get their way they'll set the sights on unlocking us in no time and people will die, probably from poorer backgrounds and BAME groups mostly.

A YouGov poll recently said only 14% of people think the restrictions are to harsh, the silent majority are happy with the current restrictions with a significant number thinking we should go further.

On Wednesday we will see if the speaker will select the amendment.

It's not that the restrictions are too harsh it is that they aren't targeted enough

There is no reason why university students should have to be a) forced to attend campus and b) then forced to self isolate on the back of someone showing symptoms. As an example.

Sooner or later the leaders of this country are going to need to start balancing risk accordingly. Currently the policy is one size fits all but as with everything in life the requirements of a 22 year old builder differ from an 80 year old retiree.

Quite frankly I think the govt are losing grip of it all, and the only way to show they are in control is by imposing outlandish restrictions that are neither here nor there in challenging this virus. Statistically I am more likely to live to my natural living age than I am to die of Covid-19, even if I contract it or not. Over time we have learnt more and more about this virus, and about how we treat it, but the restrictions still mirror the ones brought in back in March when we had no idea about it. There has been absolutely no movement towards a "degree of normality" like proposed. Instead it has been ad-hoc draconian measures imposed time after time that are clearly having no impact in curbing the infection rate.

I won't often agree with the 1922 club, but I think it is absolutely right than any further restrictions should have to be voted through because I've lost trust in this cabinet to act in a sensible manner. We were told the months long total lockdown was to give us time to prepare and plan for normality, which neither has been done. 

52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's not that the restrictions are too harsh it is that they aren't targeted enough

There is no reason why university students should have to be a) forced to attend campus and b) then forced to self isolate on the back of someone showing symptoms. As an example.

Sooner or later the leaders of this country are going to need to start balancing risk accordingly. Currently the policy is one size fits all but as with everything in life the requirements of a 22 year old builder differ from an 80 year old retiree.

Quite frankly I think the govt are losing grip of it all, and the only way to show they are in control is by imposing outlandish restrictions that are neither here nor there in challenging this virus. Statistically I am more likely to live to my natural living age than I am to die of Covid-19, even if I contract it or not. Over time we have learnt more and more about this virus, and about how we treat it, but the restrictions still mirror the ones brought in back in March when we had no idea about it. There has been absolutely no movement towards a "degree of normality" like proposed. Instead it has been ad-hoc draconian measures imposed time after time that are clearly having no impact in curbing the infection rate.

I won't often agree with the 1922 club, but I think it is absolutely right than any further restrictions should have to be voted through because I've lost trust in this cabinet to act in a sensible manner. We were told the months long total lockdown was to give us time to prepare and plan for normality, which neither has been done. 

I guess the sensible approach would have been to stop all Universities taking this years intake, but that would have resulted in many going to the wall, you have to try and find a balance. We are hearing of places like Manchester MET and universities in Scotland, but many are operating at an acceptable level, business as usual, or Covid usual.

The reason for the restrictions, the reason for the curfews and the reason for uni lockdowns is because the data clearly shows that in this age group the virus is running wild, its a sensible approach now the horse has clearly bolted.

Having the 1922 club and more Tory backbenchers involved in the decision making will result in easing of lock downs and more deaths, I firmly believe that. 

Edited by Gav

Cases have been dropping the last couple of days, is there a weekend lag with this like there was with the daily death count? 

48 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Cases have been dropping the last couple of days, is there a weekend lag with this like there was with the daily death count? 

UK is behind Malta on this wave.

We had a similar lull when we hoped we had the situation solved then another alarming surge.

What is horrible is we had just 9 deaths in the first wave and now 23 more deaths in the last two weeks. It really seems to be wiping out nonagenarians who catch it. OK, diagnosed, dead within 72 hours seems to be the pattern.

Please keep to the relevant Topic 👍

I've just moved 43 posts from here to the politics thread. 

Whilst I understand sometimes topics can take a natural tangent, on this occasion you're stretching it people. 

I don't think murder crime rates, oyster cards, Ken Livingston, Boris bikes, Sadiq Khan, the London Olympics, and affordable housing have much to do with the current global pandemic. 

Can you all please keep the politics debates in the right thread, and any mention of it in this thread should be directly linked to the Covid 19 crisis.

Thank You. 

9 minutes ago, Silas said:

Please keep to the relevant Topic 👍

I've just moved 43 posts from here to the politics thread. 

Whilst I understand sometimes topics can take a natural tangent, on this occasion you're stretching it people. 

I don't think murder crime rates, oyster cards, Ken Livingston, Boris bikes, Sadiq Khan, the London Olympics, and affordable housing have much to do with the current global pandemic. 

Can you all please keep the politics debates in the right thread, and any mention of it in this thread should be directly linked to the Covid 19 crisis.

Thank You. 

My apologies. 

Edited by Gav