32 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

This has probably got some legs....in Italy they are very touchy feely,  families live together and oldies spend much more time with the younger generation compared to here.....I think this is very relevant.  We are happy to be apart from family as a nation which might help with this.

Same with Spain. The number of intergenerational households is huge compared to UK or Germany.

18 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

RIP freedom of choice. Not poor old Boris's fault but he's having to fall in line with the over-reaction everywhere else in the world so as not to look out on a limb.

If I thought the over-reaction in cancelling all sport was bad enough it's nothing to what's happening now.

Can't believe how much people are lapping up being told what they can and can't do. It won't have escaped the notice of the World's Governments that they now only have to say "jump" and everyone goes "how high". We're at the thin end of a very dangerous wedge.

Dangerous times. And nothing whatsoever to do with the bloody virus.

Even if it is an over reaction it will save people's lives. It's not ideal for anybody at the moment. The blame game, theorising, and inquests should happen, but not today.

Coronavirus is an inconvenience to the vast majority of people who get it, but it's 1-2% death rate is far too high to ignore. Read stories about Bergamo. Read about clinical trial participants not able to get their experimental meds due to hospitals being full. Read about kids with leukemia who are at risk of dying if they step outside.

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Well there needs to be another surprise candidate in the leadership race to make that happen as none of the current lot will make any waves.

Since the war labour have had 16 leaders and only 3 have actually won elections (Attlee, Wilson and Blair). The Torys have had 13 leaders and only 3 have failed to win elections. The 3 that didn’t win were Hague, Smith and Howard were all in opposition to Tony the Tory. So like it or not other than a blip in the mid 60s-mid 70s which was a proper labour govt a we are a conservative nation by any large. 

I think to a degree the above is due to the Conservatives willingness to go whichever way the wind is blowing. They strongly opposed the creation of the NHS and welfare state, but when it was in and they saw people liked it they went with it. The conservative governments of the 50s and 60s would be considered quite left wing by today's standards.

I guess they've always just been quite pragmatic, willing to do whatever it takes to win. Labour, apart from the Blair/Brown period, have prioritised ideological concerns over competitive ones.

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Even if it is an over reaction it will save people's lives. It's not ideal for anybody at the moment. The blame game, theorising, and inquests should happen, but not today.

Coronavirus is an inconvenience to the vast majority of people who get it, but it's 1-2% death rate is far too high to ignore. Read stories about Bergamo. Read about clinical trial participants not able to get their experimental meds due to hospitals being full. Read about kids with leukemia who are at risk of dying if they step outside.

Yes, and there is the big elephant in the room - in many ways this is a test run for when something highly contagious with a 10%, 20% or even 30% death rate turns up (as it is sure to one day).  Something of that magnitude could cause societal breakdown if not effectively contained.

We need to show we can globally co-ordinate and defeat pandemics and learn the lessons very very quickly. We have been quite lucky COVOD 19 is relatively mild compared to what is possible.

For comparison Smallpox has a death rate of 30% and is estimated to have killed 300 million people in the 20th century before the vaccine eliminated it in the 70s.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Almost nowhere accepting cash now.

No advice has been given on this. Started by chains like costa and now panic has set it and everywhere jumping on the bandwagon.

Bank of England to start withdrawing millions from circulation as early as next week.

Cashless Society by September.

With nothing much to do, nor worry about as far as work goes, the over 70s here are already causing a bit of mayhem with their rebellious ways. Street cafes are shut down, but there are reports of over 70s ignoring instructions to stay home full-stop, as they gather as normal at these closed cafes and sit outside with their home-made flasks of coffee! Police are currently patrolling and sectioning them.

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I agree, unless a tonne of people die in the next couple of weeks. It could be like when Gordon Brown's Labour government faced the global economic meltdown, and were seen in a positive light when dealing with it. The fact that his right wing, free market handling of the financial sector made us very vulnerable when the house of cards collapsed is forgotten as are the successive governments' lack of action to reform the banks.

In time people will forget the U turns, dithering and all that and probably see Boris as a proper leader.

Just remind me of the thanks Gordon Brown received  in spite of his achievements in the financial crisis of 2008.

This is early days yet, I have zero confidence in Johnson and the vast majority of his cabinet. Where is the Home Secretary for instance ? An absolutely key position who's occupant should now be laying down the law regarding panic buying etc etc.  Locked in a broom cupboard along with Gove I suspect. The Chancellor has been chucking money at the job but this crisis is going to take a lot more to solve than just getting the cheque book out. Money is vital as we all know but changing peoples behaviour is equally important. In this respect the Government have been found wanting.

Let's return to this in a month and see if you're still as happy or both of us are still around.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Almost nowhere accepting cash now.

No advice has been given on this. Started by chains like costa and now panic has set it and everywhere jumping on the bandwagon.

Bank of England to start withdrawing millions from circulation as early as next week.

Cashless Society by September.

That's good, isn't it?

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just remind me of the thanks Gordon Brown received  in spite of his achievements in the financial crisis of 2008.

This is early days yet, I have zero confidence in Johnson and the vast majority of his cabinet. Where is the Home Secretary for instance ? An absolutely key position who's occupant should now be laying down the law regarding panic buying etc etc.  Locked in a broom cupboard along with Gove I suspect. The Chancellor has been chucking money at the job but this crisis is going to take a lot more to solve than just getting the cheque book out. Money is vital as we all know but changing peoples behaviour is equally important. In this respect the Government have been found wanting.

Let's return to this in a month and see if you're still as happy or both of us are still around.

I never said I was happy with Johnson or saw him as a leader, so your attempt to criticise me is wide of the mark. You seem to assume I am like a few others here and vote Tory, and blindly support everything the government does. If you read what I said, I was saying the wider public will forget Boris' attempts to grab power from the Treasury and Parliament, his bumbling around, his holidays around the time of those floods and might see him as a responsible guy if we don't have loads of deaths.

Brown was widely hailed as a great leader in 2008................then everything went wrong for him. 

1 hour ago, Yoogo said:

With nothing much to do, nor worry about as far as work goes, the over 70s here are already causing a bit of mayhem with their rebellious ways. Street cafes are shut down, but there are reports of over 70s ignoring instructions to stay home full-stop, as they gather as normal at these closed cafes and sit outside with their home-made flasks of coffee! Police are currently patrolling and sectioning them.

In Bavaria, fire brigade are driving around with loud hailers telling people what the latest regulations are

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I never said I was happy with Johnson or saw him as a leader, so your attempt to criticise me is wide of the mark. You seem to assume I am like a few others here and vote Tory, and blindly support everything the government does. If you read what I said, I was saying the wider public will forget Boris' attempts to grab power from the Treasury and Parliament, his bumbling around, his holidays around the time of those floods and might see him as a responsible guy if we don't have loads of deaths.

Brown was widely hailed as a great leader in 2008................then everything went wrong for him. 

I'm sorry you saw my post as a personal criticism because it wasn't meant to be. I was just stating my point of view. This cabinet is the weakest I can remember and they're facing the biggest crisis I can remember. So excuse me If I don't join in with all the back slapping going on. If it takes Gavin Williamson a fortnight to decide wether or not to close schools we should be concerned. What else has he been doing ?   Selling fireplaces is just about his level. I'd swap Gordon Brown or Tony Blair or John Major or even Teresa May for Johnson tomorrow. 

Latest info filtered down through supermarkets to employees is to hold your breath for 10 seconds every morning (whether symptomatic or not).

If you can do it without coughing or tightness in your throat, you're fine. If you can't, ring 111 for advice.

3 hours ago, Yoogo said:

If the over 70's ( I'm one, just ) aren't careful they're all going to find themselves under compulsory house arrest  whilst the younger element of the country are allowed to get back to work. They/we are the sector of the population that the rest of the nation is concerned over in the main. I know a lot that are taking this seriously but quite a lot aren't. My mum is one of them, she's still going out on all sorts of spurious errands rather than stay in. I've told her I'll get whatever she needs but she's insisted on wandering down to her local Tesco's for a pint of milk !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Latest info filtered down through supermarkets to employees is to hold your breath for 10 seconds every morning (whether symptomatic or not).

If you can do it without coughing or tightness in your throat, you're fine. If you can't, ring 111 for advice.

One of our contributors out in Aus ( Dave ? ) mentioned that a few days ago on this site. Sort of makes sense to me.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If the over 70's ( I'm one, just ) aren't careful they're all going to find themselves under compulsory house arrest  whilst the younger element of the country are allowed to get back to work. They/we are the sector of the population that the rest of the nation is concerned over in the main. I know a lot that are taking this seriously but quite a lot aren't. My mum is one of them, she's still going out on all sorts of spurious errands rather than stay in. I've told her I'll get whatever she needs but she's insisted on wandering down to her local Tesco's for a pint of milk !

There's another story of poor judgment (it's all age brackets of course)... A bloke in his 50s broke his leg and went to the local hospital for emergency treatment. Before he was operated on, he had to fill out forms regarding Coronavirus. One of the questions is if you've had contact with anybody who has tested positive for Coronavirus. He answered "no". They took him to the regular ward and operated on him. By the time they had finished, and his records were checked with his doctor, it turns out that his brother who he had spent time with had tested positive for Coronavirus. This bloke was fully aware, but he claimed that he was worried that he wouldn't get operated on if he'd answered "yes" on the forms, and so now everybody in that ward has to undergo full quarantine, because this bloke also ended up positive after being tested. They would have operated on him in any case, had he been honest, but just in a different ward and with different equipment. People are livid with him.

I think it's difficult for many to adapt, or perhaps they don't want to cause a fuss (I understand to an extent), but you can't underestimate the consequences of this thing. It only takes a small percentage to ignore it all to cause problems.

1 minute ago, Yoogo said:

There's another story of poor judgment (it's all age brackets of course)... A bloke in his 50s broke his leg and went to the local hospital for emergency treatment. Before he was operated on, he had to fill out forms regarding Coronavirus. One of the questions is if you've had contact with anybody who has tested positive for Coronavirus. He answered "no". They took him to the regular ward and operated on him. By the time they had finished, and his records were checked with his doctor, it turns out that his brother who he had spent time with had tested positive for Coronavirus. This bloke was fully aware, but he claimed that he was worried that he wouldn't get operated on if he'd answered "yes" on the forms, and so now everybody in that ward has to undergo full quarantine, because this bloke also ended up positive after being tested. They would have operated on him in any case, had he been honest, but just in a different ward and with different equipment. People are livid with him.

I think it's difficult for many to adapt, or perhaps they don't want to cause a fuss (I understand to an extent), but you can't underestimate the consequences of this thing. It only takes a small percentage to ignore it all to cause problems.

I know it's tough staying in all day but it's a lot better than being dead !

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

That's good, isn't it?

Yeah, we were on the road to it anyway thankfully. Only place I've paid cash recently is Burnley hospital for parking as they're so stuck in the dark ages over yonder 🙄

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

This was exposed as a bit of a myth a few days ago. If you have it and it is affecting you with coughing or breathing quite then it is a bit of a guide. But if you have it and shown no symptoms, or only a fever, you are still contagious but will be able to hold your breath fine.

For those claiming this is a conspiracy theory watch the video below. Who knows categorically whether this is Wuhan but regardless this is the kind of practise that does go on in China.

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Guardian fake news, what else would we expect 

It's not news, it's an opinion piece.

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

That's good, isn't it?

Well it takes away an option for people?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know it's tough staying in all day but it's a lot better than being dead !

So long as it feels dissimilar!

32 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Guardian fake news, what else would we expect 

A very insightful and funny/tragic analysis I thought. 

31 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

For those claiming this is a conspiracy theory watch the video below. Who knows categorically whether this is Wuhan but regardless this is the kind of practise that does go on in China.

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

I don’t doubt the source I think this is often an issue , I question the way it’s being dressed up in a certain way