Also worth noting. Its 2020, there are other ways of portraying your message other than the mainstream media 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I would like the think in the future Labour will come up with a strategy to convey that message appropriately.

I am perhaps a bit harsh on Starmer because ultimately he's doing what is probably the best. In a position when everyone needs to rally together sowing the seeds of division (ie opposing) isn't the best image to portray yourself as.

In my eyes this current Tory party have lost my vote but equally the Labour party will lose it unless they successfully hold the government to account for the rampant corruption and crisis mismanagement that we have seen over the past 6 months. It shouldn't be difficult but whether they can do it is another matter. 

A Labour MP was on LBC today saying that the £7k a day figure quoted by the press for consultants (it won't be £7k a day but the hourly rate extrapolated but that's by the by) is enough to feed 2,000+ children for the day when the Tory party have refused to do so over holiday dates. It is all a bit heartless for me, definitely not the One Nation ideology the Tory party should be moving towards.

In reality this cabinet should be out on its arse right now. Surviving by the mere fact that people don't seem to care politically; more bothered about social justice campaigns than they are genuine government conspiracy. £12bn wasted on Dido Harding's app is a criminal waste of money and their Duty of Care has been broken and damages to the country sustaineFud and therefore this cabinet should be facing a negligence enquiry and not free to throw policy around willy-nilly with no thought for the consequences.

Find it hard to disagree with any of this. 

Not sure (a) how many people do know about the 12 bn wasted on test and trace, or (b) even care. Maybe there's an element of the quote about 1 death being a tragedy, a million being a statistic? Or perhaps because they don't see how it affects them? 

The government do seem to be getting a stunningly easy ride. Muck up after muck up, corruption after corruption and yet the nearest they have come to being pressured is when a footballer starts shouting about meal vouchers. Not sure what that says for society... 

Then you've got certain posters on here, who really don't give a stuff (choosing my words carefully) what the government do, and it retains their support. U turn after u turn: irrelevant. Corruption: let's not mention it. When you have that level of support from elements of the populace, is it any wonder they can flagrantly give money to whoever they like, and be impervious to any criticisms on grounds of competence or corruption.  

If anything this pandemic has allowed the government to revel in its incompetence and corruption unabated and unhindered to levels they perhaps could only dream of last year. It's a sad indictment of humanity that such a crisis allows them to do this, or that this is where their thoughts lie in such an event.  

And then in the midst of all this @Blue blood the BBC does a special on how Dianne Abbott and Len Mclusky don’t like Kier Starmer.

? WTF.

Edited by den

Just now, den said:

And then in the midst of all this @Blue blood the BBC does a special on how Dianne Abbott Len Mclusky don’t like Kier Starmer.

I thought that it was a rather good report and showed that Starmer is exactly the kind of opportunist that many suspected that he was.

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Then you've got certain posters 

Plural? 😂

I think theres an element of some people saying "yeah they've made mistakes but would anyone have done a good job in a pandemic" so i think the nature of the crisis has given them a lot more scope to be incompetent and corrupt without criticism. I know there are certain people who would back them no matter what but I think fewer would do so in normal times (unless brexit is mentioned).

It's the left wing BBC don.t you know. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I thought that it was a rather good report and showed that Starmer is exactly the kind of opportunist that many suspected that he was.

Labour have lost 4 elections in a row. Corbyn lost 2 elections, one very badly. The only time they've been in power is when they've taken the centre (left) ground. Starmer's trying to rebuild trust with the voters who've deserted them in droves. What do you want - permanent opposition? I don't get it. 

Pretty full as youd know if youd ever been kept waiting for an op because there wasnt a bed free for you

15 minutes ago, den said:

And then in the midst of all this @Blue blood the BBC does a special on how Dianne Abbott and Len Mclusky don’t like Kier Starmer.

? WTF.

Well 12 billion wasted, plus the PPE contracts for duds, pales into comparison compared to whether a party leader is liked by 2 MPs... 

BBC strike me as dependants on the Torys as LET is on Rovers and therefore daren't be too critical. 

Regardless of political leanings I can't see how anyone can be comfortable or happy with the corruption we are seeing. But apparently, perhaps for the reasons I mentioned?, it doesn't seem a huge issue. 

Some good public health evidence coming from the North East that the rates are thankfully coming down.

Council leaders asked for curfews and banning people mixing back in mid September, this was brought in at the end of September.

Its still early days, we know rates can change, but the hope is the rates will come down enough for families to enjoy Christmas together.

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Well 12 billion wasted, plus the PPE contracts for duds, pales into comparison compared to whether a party leader is liked by 2 MPs... 

Len McCluskey is not an MP, he is General Secretary of Unite. And if the previous Labour leadership had listened to him instead of an opportunist like Starmer then perhaps we wouldn't be stuck with this corrupt and incompetent government.

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's the left wing BBC don.t you know. 

Labour have lost 4 elections in a row. Corbyn lost 2 elections, one very badly. The only time they've been in power is when they've taken the centre (left) ground. Starmer's trying to rebuild trust with the voters who've deserted them in droves. What do you want - permanent opposition? I don't get it. 

Few things did more to secure a Tory majority at the last election than the Labour Brexit position created by Starmer. 

11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Len McCluskey is not an MP, he is General Secretary of Unite. And if the previous Labour leadership had listened to him instead of an opportunist like Starmer then perhaps we wouldn't be stuck with this corrupt and incompetent government.

Few things did more to secure a Tory majority at the last election than the Labour Brexit position created by Starmer. 

Corbyn himself caused labours defeat if you look at the reasons voters gave for not voting labour.

and if you’re looking for an opportunist look no further than the guy who wrote two speeches, one for remain and one for leave.

861A10D8-6985-4C95-B3CF-A1B25F65F2F6.jpeg

Edited by den

3 minutes ago, den said:

Corbyn himself caused labours defeat if you look at the reasons voters gave for not voting labour.

861A10D8-6985-4C95-B3CF-A1B25F65F2F6.jpeg

There was only one major change in Labour Party policy from 2017 when they got their highest number of votes since 1997 and in 2019. And was their Brexit policy, which in turn reflected badly on Corbyn.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

There was only one major change in Labour Party policy from 2017 when they got their highest number of votes since 1997 and in 2019. And was their Brexit policy, which in turn reflected badly on Corbyn.

the proof is in front of you. Corbyn was the main turn off, not brexit.

Edited by den

14 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

As it happens, I agreed with much (not all) he said, but Corbyn was the big problem for Labour at the last election. Policies were secondary; voters didn't like him or see him as a future PM.  Still don't get why you are so anti-Starmer. Who needs Tory enemies when Labour  has "supporters" like you

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Still don't get why you are so anti-Starmer. Who needs Tory enemies when Labour  has "supporters" like you

I'm not a Labour Party supporter. Not sure what makes you think I am. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I'm not a Labour Party supporter. Not sure what makes you think I am. 

Didn't realise you were a Tory. Apologies. 

26688 new daily cases, highest ever. Regional lockdowns will do nothing. Govt losing control. 

labour will be proved right on this one.

Edited by den

4 minutes ago, den said:

26688 new daily cases, highest ever. Regional lockdowns will do nothing. Govt losing control. 

They count for nothing 

41 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Yes, misread the post/got stuck on Abbott. However I think the point still stands. 

41 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Don't think the Brexit position helped Labour at all, would agree with that. Not clear enough for the masses by a long shot. 

Covid thread chaps if you don’t mind:tu:

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Didn't realise you were a Tory. Apologies. 

I'm not a Tory either. I didn't realise that you had to be either Labour or Tory. That's one of problem with politics in this country, not enough independent thinking.

Edited by Ewood Ace

33 minutes ago, den said:

It’s extremely worrying den, it really is.

Starmer is doing nothing more than following the science.

The Tories are now following the money, bowing to big business and 1922 boys club and it’s starting to cost lives.

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Some good public health evidence coming from the North East that the rates are thankfully coming down.

Council leaders asked for curfews and banning people mixing back in mid September, this was brought in at the end of September.

Its still early days, we know rates can change, but the hope is the rates will come down enough for families to enjoy Christmas together.

I'm more interested in my son being able to accompany my daughter in law when she goes into Labour. Christmas can wait. Hes had a fairly traumatic few weeks recently organising Newcastle Uni halls of residence after the A level fiasco meant they had more students than places and those who were told they'd not got the grades so had their rooms allocated to someone else then got places so had to be found accommodation. Then students arrived and promptly got locked down. Hed handed keys to the 2 girls who died from drugs on their first day at uni and had to manage all the police stuff around that. I think he deserves to be there when his first child is born.

The prediction of 50000 daily cases by the end of October is sadly looking very much on the money with ten days to go. Today one of my daughters school bubble has been popped.