36 minutes ago, Silas said:

This feels quite topical for me. 

My Dad is 82, Mum 78. I've been implementing some rules for our large family (4 siblings, 6 grandkids) during visits, try and sheild them as much as possible during this 2nd wave. Just things like seperate visits, only using 1 room in the house, no hugging etc. 

My sister rang me last night to say Dad had been on phone and they won't live by my rules anymore. He said they probably only have 2 or 3 years left, and they refuse to spend them living like this. They are grown adults and can make their own choices in life. My sister pointed out how guilty a member of the family would feel if they brought the virus round and god forbid, the worst happened. His response was - "Well that will be on our heads, not yours. And we wish for you all to respect our decision."

Bit shocked tbh. But they are certainly not people you are ever going to get to change their mind once it's made up. So, I will be respecting that decision. They've earnt that much over the years. 

I can't say I blame him, Silas

We each take our own risks in life based on our own perception of risk vs reward. As a younger man I darted in and out of articulated lorries / heavy traffic in South-East Asia on a twist and go moped. No helmet, no license. At the time the thrill of doing it massively outweighed the risks in my head. Imagine being allowed to jump red lights, drive the bike on the pavement to get past traffic and not being stopped for doing it? I had nothing but myself to look out for though. I couldn't imagine doing it now with a family and mortgage.

A different situation but the principle is the same. You want to live every minute of your life like it is your last. That never leaves you. Lockdown is like jail really. You can't hug or touch or laugh or spend the night round a table losing track of which beer is which. It is all part of family life and the reason we get up for work in the morning. As you say, we are still young enough that our day jobs got us out and about. We could still go walking, running or cycling. I'd imagine that at 82 that chance of recreation has gone. Family time matters most, having company and a chat. It is an awful thing to lose through no fault of your own!

I reckon there will be a lot more families having that same discussion in the coming months. Hope it all works out man

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Bit shocked tbh. But they are certainly not people you are ever going to get to change their mind once it's made up. So, I will be respecting that decision. They've earnt that much over the years. 

You can understand it. They're getting on and they haven't many Christmases left. And if they're going to go, as they often say, "You have to die of something".

But I do think those sort of attitudes should stay in the home. Twice yesterday in the shops I heard older folk say "they're not bothered about the rules" or "I don't believe in coronavirus", which is totally selfish and regardless of how you view the pandemic shows a blatant disregard for others and is not how a good citizen should behave

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

At 80 years old one might be faced with the prospect of a final Christmas. If that Christmas is taken from you for the fear of an unknown (a flu could be deadly at that age too) then it really isn't fair.

These thoughts should be considered by the government very, very carefully. I think unfortunately a lockdown is becoming inevitable. There's nothing we can do about it now. It should never have got to this point again. However, with all my opposition to a lockdown now, if this government delays the inevitable - or doesn't have a plan to prevent a lockdown - then does so over the Christmas holidays I will be absolutely livid. It would be the death knell to the Tory party in my opinion and probably the reason why it will not happen.

@gumboots I sincerely hope it is photoshopped because if it isn't it is the single most embarrassing thing I have seen of a politician in recent times. He looks like a baby about to cry. 

I don't think it is photoshopped to be honest, there's 3 of them! (apologies for the size of the images, I can't figure out how to reduce them!):

Football Tweet on Twitter: "Matt Hancock attempting to header a ball is  exactly what I thought Matt Hancock attempting to header a ball would look  like… https://t.co/L1oCa6simz"

mnrrntt2 and 40 others on Twitter: "Matt Hancock playing football has  cheered me right up… "

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock (right) during the  Journalists v MPs football match at

2 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

9th nov 3 weeks 

That would be about right! My daughter returned a positive test this week so we're in isolation until the 6th (14 days from symptoms)!

I'm 99.9% sure she picked it up either at school or on the bus to and from - absolute stupidity opening schools & Universities if you ask me, they've always been a hotbed for the spread of anything!

As a bit of respite, I thought I'd lighten the mood a bit & tell you how I confirmed (unintentionally) that she wasn't having me on with the symptoms:

So, over the weekend, she says that her food doesn't taste right, as a typical parent I didn't take too much notice as this is usually code for "I've been snacking & don't want my tea"

Anyway, Monday, she went out to footy training. We're on the way home in the car & I farted - you know the ones, a few pints with sunday dinner the day before type - yeah it was a good un! Heated seats were on & everything just to help it along. I'm fully expecting the sound of gipping next to me, with someone desperately grappling trying to find the switch for the window, eyes streaming, with cries of "Dad! You dirty b'stard!"

Nothing! Not a murmur! By this point, I'm quite disappointed to be honest, so just said "Can you not smell that!?"

"Smell what?"

"What do you mean, what? I'm nearly being sick myself!"

"I've not been able to smell anything all day"

So test done the day after & unsurprisingly came back positive

Up to 48hrs for a result? It took me 48 secs to confirm that one!

Edited by windymiller7

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You can understand it. They're getting on and they haven't many Christmases left. And if they're going to go, as they often say, "You have to die of something".

But I do think those sort of attitudes should stay in the home. Twice yesterday in the shops I heard older folk say "they're not bothered about the rules" or "I don't believe in coronavirus", which is totally selfish and regardless of how you view the pandemic shows a blatant disregard for others and is not how a good citizen should behave

Yes . I think masks are nonsense but I wear one for the peace of mind of those who think differently 

19 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

I don't think it is photoshopped to be honest, there's 3 of them! (apologies for the size of the images, I can't figure out how to reduce them!):

Football Tweet on Twitter: "Matt Hancock attempting to header a ball is  exactly what I thought Matt Hancock attempting to header a ball would look  like… https://t.co/L1oCa6simz"

mnrrntt2 and 40 others on Twitter: "Matt Hancock playing football has  cheered me right up… "

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock (right) during the  Journalists v MPs football match at

That would be about right! My daughter returned a positive test this week so we're in isolation until the 6th (14 days from symptoms)!

I'm 99.9% sure she picked it up either at school or on the bus to and from - absolute stupidity opening schools & Universities if you ask me, they've always been a hotbed for the spread of anything!

As a bit of respite, I thought I'd lighten the mood a bit & tell you how I confirmed (unintentionally) that she wasn't having me on with the symptoms:

So, over the weekend, she says that her food doesn't taste right, as a typical parent I didn't take too much notice as this is usually code for "I've been snacking & don't want my tea"

Anyway, Monday, she went out to footy training. We're on the way home in the car & I farted - you know the ones, a few pints with sunday dinner the day before type - yeah it was a good un! Heated seats were on & everything just to help it along. I'm fully expecting the sound of gipping next to me, with someone desperately grappling trying to find the switch for the window, eyes streaming, with cries of "Dad! You dirty b'stard!"

Nothing! Not a murmur! By this point, I'm quite disappointed to be honest, so just said "Can you not smell that!?"

"Smell what?"

"What do you mean, what? I'm nearly being sick myself!"

"I've not been able to smell anything all day"

So test done the day after & unsurprisingly came back positive

Up to 48hrs for a result? It took me 48 secs to confirm that one!

Barnes giving the team talk 

29C6EBC5-345B-47FE-AF8F-1BC4B040CD27.png

Edited by Inglorious basturk

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

But since early august the Borough ( and pendle ) were under stricter restrictions than official tier 3 for over a month , half the boroughs wards stayed under those restrictions apart from the few days we were in tier 2 .  Tier 3 just brought the rest of Lancashire to more or less where those wards were . 
Do not that wise , or just a memory lapse 

Yeh, ok Hancock's a fanny: no surprises there.

Having seen at distance again my mid eighties parents, who are sensible but frightened to death, please folks adhere to the basic requirements 100%, it's surely not too much to ask.

I'm becoming increasingly angry with the opinions of some, it's really clear that if everybody adhered to the basic government requests, wash hands regularly, wear a mask and socially distance at all times, would go a long way to suppressing the virus.

Another major region about to go into Tier 3 Very High lockdown.

Announcement shortly. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Yeah, I agree, but that's definitely not the issue here. It's a one way street for them.

They don't go anywhere, shopping is delivered to the door. 

Maybe why they're putting their foot down on this one. 

But we've got 3 sets of kids from different primary schools,  a student coming back from Liverpool at Xmas, and adults from 5 different workplaces.  So what, about 9 different sources there without including all the shops/restaurants/play areas we might frequent.

Hey, I get it, it's their call to make. I was just trying to minimize the risk as much as possible.  

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Another major region about to go into Tier 3 Very High lockdown.

Announcement shortly. 

It's all bollocks Gav, it was bloody obvious that when students went back to Uni it would herald the start of a second wave. How could it not do unless 'R' was next to zero?

None of these self serving idiots are fit to govern, Labour included even though not in power.

I'm becoming increasingly angry at the stupidity of those that are supposed to lead.

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Yeh, ok Hancock's a fanny: no surprises there.

Having seen at distance again my mid eighties parents, who are sensible but frightened to death, please folks adhere to the basic requirements 100%, it's surely not too much to ask.

I'm becoming increasingly angry with the opinions of some, it's really clear that if everybody adhered to the basic government requests, wash hands regularly, wear a mask and socially distance at all times, would go a long way to suppressing the virus.

I can’t argue with the requests of octogenarians who want to make the best of their final years 

It's all bollocks Gav, it was bloody obvious that when students went back to Uni it would herald the start of a second wave. How could it not do unless 'R' was next to zero?

None of these self serving idiots are fit to govern, Labour included even though not in power.

I'm becoming increasingly angry at the stupidity of those that are supposed to lead.

Couldn't agree more on the students, they tried to mitigate the risk by closing the pubs, but it was bad idea to allow them back.

We spent months following the science during the first lock down, until they unlocked against the science with R number still high in northern areas.

Now we have an R rate off the scale, we have SAGE telling the government to lock down weeks ago, but 1922 Tory boys club and big business are against it.

Now we're in the sh1t with no plan to get out.....

Edited by Gav

The only good thing about letting students back is that the virus will be circling amongst teenagers and young adults as opposed to them living in multi generational homes. 

29 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Or west mids ? I’m going to a couple of restaurants in Bham next Friday 

Think you were right first time mate

I can’t argue with the requests of octogenarians who want to make the best of their final years 

Ha, my parents' request would be to lock up everyone who selfishly fail to adhere to the basic government requirements in order to both protect themselves and others. My father, given the opportunity,  wouldn't hesitate to utilise the armed forces to enforce it.

Is that similar to China, where we're led to believe everything's under control? or USA where it's only a matter of time before vigilantes run riot?

PLEASE, PLEASE, follow the basic recommendations people, if not to safeguard yourself but to keep others safe. I really can't see why it's such a difficult ask when faced with the alternatives.

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Ha, my parents' request would be to lock up everyone who selfishly fail to adhere to the basic government requirements in order to both protect themselves and others. My father, given the opportunity,  wouldn't hesitate to utilise the armed forces to enforce it.

Is that similar to China, where we're led to believe everything's under control? or USA where it's only a matter of time before vigilantes run riot?

PLEASE, PLEASE, follow the basic recommendations people, if not to safeguard yourself but to keep others safe. I really can't see why it's such a difficult ask when faced with the alternatives.

I respect your parents view too they have more than earned it but everyone is different . 
my dad wants to see me , he hasn’t long , he’s lonely . I respect that too 

Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

I respect your parents view too they have more than earned it but everyone is different . 
my dad wants to see me , he hasn’t long , he’s lonely . I respect that too 

I see my parents weekly IB, currently from the end of their drive and speak on the phone at least every other day. They accept that's the best we can do with the current restrictions and rightly so. They're also getting increasingly annoyed when they see neighbours totally disregarding even the most basic of restrictions whilst we're doing all we can to sensibly comply.

As I've said in my previous posts, if EVERYONE followed the basic guidelines, there's half a chance we may all be able to enjoy a decent Festive Season with our families. Ignore it, then expect the worst, it's inevitable.

Or west mids ? I’m going to a couple of restaurants in Bham next Friday 

Lunch and dinner, breakfast and lunch or breakfast and dinner? Why a couple on the same day? Have a word with Gav, I'm sure he'd be able to come up with some top notch suggestions that compare favourably with Northcote, L'Enclume and others similar to those that you apparently frequent. For breakfast/brunch I can strongly recommend The Hollies, just off the A5 junction on M6.

I see my parents weekly IB, currently from the end of their drive and speak on the phone at least every other day. They accept that's the best we can do with the current restrictions and rightly so. They're also getting increasingly annoyed when they see neighbours totally disregarding even the most basic of restrictions whilst we're doing all we can to sensibly comply.

As I've said in my previous posts, if EVERYONE followed the basic guidelines, there's half a chance we may all be able to enjoy a decent Festive Season with our families. Ignore it, then expect the worst, it's inevitable.

Maybe I’d feel a bit differently if he still had mum , but he needs a hug now and then