Sign in to follow this  
Montyburns

Coronavirus

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

From today's Times 

IMG_20200322_110219.jpg

And confirmed by Philip's few seconds interview with Johnson on P45, yet we have been told continuously on here that the Government never embraced the "herd Immunity" theory.

9 hours ago, den said:

A lot of whataboutery today. 

what about Labour.... what about the EU......what about David Lammy......what about France......

Yep---let's talk about anything other than the Government's performance!

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ofc, it's 'too party political' to discuss the events and policies in our country leading up to potentially the most devastating worldwide event since WW2...

13 hours ago, 47er said:

Up to now they've been behind the curve every step of the way. Every move has been reactionary rather the preempting events. Closing the pubs and today's non enforcement of the semi isolation rules being just two examples of many. The " herd effect " flawed policy should have seen some heads roll. That's put us two to three weeks behind the game when every day is critical. This lot don't know what they're doing, anybody who thinks they're doing a good job needs to think again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

.....yet we have been told continuously on here that the Government never embraced the "herd Immunity" theory.

Come now, I think you'd struggle to muster up 1 post saying that, let alone being "told continuously".

Most agree they went down that path, then pulled a U turn. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No its down to the people to do the right thing. Government have told them what to do. Quickly you do as they say, the better than we can return to normal life

The British public have quite clearly proven that they are incapable of doing the right thing though, congregating at supermarkets like savages, going on "one last night out" in masses before the pubs are closed, going about their day to day life as if nothing is happening. The British public has shown itself as thick and selfish to be quite honest.

Obviously defending going to a packed horse racing event or your parents going on a pub crawl was in my opinion naive and somewhat ignorant on your part just before the measures were ramped up. But even since these measures have been advised and somewhat enforced, people have selfishly still considered to ignore them. The sooner that this advice is fully enforced, the better.

5 hours ago, Gav said:

The UK has been testing since January philip and whilst Cummings is a ****, not everything is down to him, the scientists and medical professionals are running this  and have been since day one.

Gav you keep writing about the medical and scientific experts as if they all spoke with one mind. They didn't. The ones Johnson and Co listened to espoused the herd immunity theories which is partly why the Government's initial reaction was so slow and inadequate.

Its approached was condemned by other experts and was at odds with the advice of WHO.

Its abandoned that approach now, thank God and I have to say that since Britain has a Tory Government its just as well Johnson is the leader. He doesn't believe in anything much, though he is on the record many times as ridiculing the "Nanny State". Bit of a joke now eh?

But imagine if May were still in power, steeped in Tory philosophy as she is. There would never have been 3 budgets in 10 days for a start. And she would have fretted about going in to so much debt! After all they've lived off blaming Labour for debt arising from the Global Financial Crisis for over decade.

Credit where is is due, the economic packages they have come up with, are far more generous than I ever thought possible from a Tory Government. It goes against everything they traditionally believe in.

How the debt is handled in future years will be worth watching. More Austerity? They should remember that their Austerity has left many people less well-equipped to fight this virus and the NHS less able to deal with the consequences.

But that's one to put off for now which is totally in keeping with Johnson's philosophy! After all he won't be around!

I watched Johnson's press conference.  For someone who is meant to be gifted in language, it was lamentable.  His messaging lacks clarity.

Sturgeon shows how to do it. She was clear, concise, articulate and honest. 

Watch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51995360

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

step by step.

As I see it, after today's lockdown of 1.5 million for a minimum of 12 weeks (3 months), the sequence will be....

over 70s for min 12 weeks

London for min 12 weeks

Rest of us for min 12 weeks (in around 3 weeks time)

We all know this...right?

I think like Italy/France it will be an initial 3 weeks but it will be extended

59 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's going to be a very long time before we return to anything resembling pre-Coronavirus life Chaddy, that's what people really need to understand. This is just the beginning. It'll be at least a year before a vaccine is ready for public distribution, and until then social distancing will need to be in effect to stop the virus from beginning to rapidly spread again. Once the vaccine is introduced there will be a waiting period to confirm its effectiveness, and after that we will be dealing with a severe global social and economic fallout, the likes of which have never been seen in modern times.

Understanding the seriousness of the situation and the long-term implications are important when deciding how to behave in the present. I don't think enough people really understand the magnitude of what is happening. 

I think once there is blanket testing available some level of control like there is currently in Korea will be achievable as lockdown can be much more targeted.

I think the testing could be sorted in 3-4 months, maybe as short as 2 months. But before that there will long draining quarentine.

22 minutes ago, Silas said:

Come now, I think you'd struggle to muster up 1 post saying that, let alone being "told continuously".

Not so. I could definitely muster up one  such post because I remember who wrote it! But I'm not going back to track it all.

We WERE told that early on when it was first raised. I accept that most now accept they did a U-turn("with hindsight")

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Germany's death rate is a low lower than the rest of Europe because of the way they test people.

USA's is lower than it should be because they've hardly tested anyone at all!

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

USA's is lower than it should be because they've hardly tested anyone at all!

Judging by the official data they are ramping up, although probably not by enough.

What strikes me is that this virus has now hit all states in the USA but we are supposed to believe it only affected a few in China and has barely hit Russia at all. Absolute nonsense. All this global effort could be undermined by states looking to maintain law and order.

Having been to China I refuse to believe this virus didn't spread exponentially before the draconian laws that impacted Wuhan were brought in.

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That'll save a few lives years down the line.

Coronavirus AND heart disease!

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Judging by the official data they are ramping up, although probably not by enough.

What strikes me is that this virus has now hit all states in the USA but we are supposed to believe it only affected a few in China and has barely hit Russia at all. Absolute nonsense. All this global effort could be undermined by states looking to maintain law and order.

Having been to China I refuse to believe this virus didn't spread exponentially before the draconian laws that impacted Wuhan were brought in.

We do agree somewhat here. I suspect numbers in China and Russia have been at least 'reduced' below the true figure.

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Would never trust any figures coming out of China.

46 minutes ago, Silas said:

I think all European (including UK) governments can all be roundly criticised for not prioritising the stockpiling of tests and maximising ventilator production from early January. That seems to most critical failure, alongside the over confidence in the "trace and isolate" approach which was made totally ineffective by the fact COVID 19 can spread aggressively without symptoms.

Following on from that UK does seem to have made major errors in its forecasting models and adopted a strange "softly softly" approach which is totally at odds with the crisis we are in. 

Lots of lessons to be learned. We are lucky that it is not a more deadly disease, but still 10s of thousands will die unnecessarily.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Germany bans meetings of more than 2 people. Italy bans all internal movement. Tory donors will be decide when it happens here. . 

Link, evidence, back it up. 

Obviously trolling to provoke.

(Is that ok lads FFS?)

Edited by Hasta