Sign in to follow this  
Montyburns

Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, den said:

Clear as mud...

Matt Hancock: “When it’s not possible for people to work from home they can go to work and indeed it’s important that they do so to keep the country running.”

Looks like they have started backtracking. Didn’t take long.

This apparently is what has brought covid19 to Europe:

Was reading with horror about the goings on in the ski resorts that fuelled this epidemic in Europe. Crazy things like hundreds of people competing who could blow hardest through the same brass whistle. Ever heard of a spit the ball competition? People were competing who could spit out a tennis ball into beer mugs. Absolute madness. Not to mention the overcrowding during the apres ski. I always thought that skiing holidays were the most unhygienic thing ever. Too many people crowded indoors in the evening.

13 minutes ago, Amo said:

You think a virus which only kills a minority of people is the same mortal threat as a bombing raid?

Of those bombed in London during the Blitz (8-8.5m), 32,000 died = 0.37%

Of those who've contracted Coronavirus (415,000), 18,500 have died = 4.46%

You're right, one is much more deadly than the other. My mistake. Then again, we know how you feel about WW2 and statistics.

Edited by Mike E

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You're right, one is much more deadly than the other. My mistake. Then again, we know how you feel about WW2 and statistics.

Haha. Not adjusted for scale, I see?

See that bolded? That's where you lost the argument. :)

Edited by Amo

22 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Good on you Chaddy, but I hope when you do feel better you won’t consider yourself immune and carry on as normal - please keep following whatever government guidelines are in place.

I will follow all Government advice and rules during this crisis. I will be very careful where I go. 

My missus has just receive txt saying she has to isolated for the next 12 weeks due to her medical condition. 

20 minutes ago, den said:

Clear as mud...

Matt Hancock: “When it’s not possible for people to work from home they can go to work and indeed it’s important that they do so to keep the country running.”

I heard him saying this. I received an email from work explaining why they are still open. It is very detail for employees why it has remain open. 

8 minutes ago, Amo said:

Haha. Not adjusted for scale, I see?

See that bolded? That's where you lost the argument. :)

Ah bless. It wouldn't be you if you didn't deftly avoid points put to you.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will follow all Government advice and rules during this crisis. I will be very careful where I go. 

My missus has just receive txt saying she has to isolated for the next 12 weeks due to her medical condition. 

I heard him saying this. I received an email from work explaining why they are still open. It is very detail for employees why it has remain open. 

Has she recieved that just now Chaddy?

on your second point, what’s the point telling everyone to stay in, not to allow anyone else in your house, or don’t visit your mother on Mother’s Day - but then to go to work as normal?

Edited by den

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Ah bless. It wouldn't be you if you didn't deftly avoid points put to you.

You mean like you just did?

3 minutes ago, Amo said:

You mean like you just did?

Perhaps. Although I'm yet to see why you think we should take government instructions on a countrywide threat less seriously than government instructions on a countrywide threat?

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Looks like they have started backtracking. Didn’t take long.

Backtracking from what? That's more or less what Johnson said last night.

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Not more or less... massive difference

D3435C99-0DD5-4299-8C40-4549A6484F17.png

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Not more or less... massive difference

The problem then has come from what went on websites (and also what Sky instantly incorrectly reported). We rewatched the speech this morning in a management meeting to double check that we were not going against what he actually said, which we aren't.

If someone has put different on the website then that's a poor do.

Have you got a link btw? Not cos I doubt it but i want to forward it on,

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

The problem with your argument is that you do not know how many people have actually got the virus. The actual death rate could be something like one in a thousand not one in twenty five.

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Last night everyone had to stay at home, only go out once a day, don’t allow anyone in your house and don’t visit your mum for Mother’s Day.

1 minute ago, den said:

Last night everyone had to stay at home, only go out once a day, don’t allow anyone in your house and don’t visit your mum for Mother’s Day.

And go to work if you really can't work from home.

Im not saying it's not flawed logic, just that the going to work for factory's / manufacturing was not stopped last night.

Nor is it in most of Western Europe except Italy as far as I am aware. Certainly not from our supplier base.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, Hasta said:

And go to work if you really can't work from home.

So what’s the point closing all the shops then? It makes no sense whatsoever 

Just now, den said:

See my edited post above which I expanded after you quoted. 

All I'm saying is there isn't any backtracking from the actual speech as far as I can tell.

6 hours ago, Amo said:

Wonder if there will be any repercussions on China for unleashing this virus onto the world?

Will there f**k.

You're right there.

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Supply chains broken. Forget about working now for a good few weeks. Yesterdays message hit home and all this furore about some construction sites remaining open won't last long because they'll have no materials to work with soon.

Today has been tough. Lads turning up to site to see the gates shut, main contractors not even bothered to let subbies know. Having to ring up a van full of lads and tell them there's no work at all for the foreseeable with no indication of when it's going to change is a difficult task for any man. You've essentially taken food from their plates.

Meanwhile there's now a crisis of people stranded abroad. Travel companies not arsed, in particular Emirates. UAE has grounded flights so whilst Emirates is still operating out of some airports - Sydney - they are literally all full and the Foreign Office only seems to have one bit of advice: get another plane. The govt needs to put planes on and repatriate people ASAP otherwise we're left with thousands of British people stuck in potentially unsafe countries with no way out. It could have severe impacts on them if their Visas run out and the respective govts aren't lenient; jail time could be given in some cases.

Apparently airlines are cancelling flights with no refunds. People in desperate position.

3 hours ago, Amo said:

Then again, we've been a police state for a long time now.

Hysteria and hyperbole. We have been no such thing. 

1 hour ago, den said:

Has she recieved that just now Chaddy?

on your second point, what’s the point telling everyone to stay in, not to allow anyone else in your house, or don’t visit your mother on Mother’s Day - but then to go to work as normal?

I've just read her txt. She has miss understand the message. She has received an coronavirus txt from government explaining the virus, etc..

Well, if you listen to Boris Johnson's speech he shut all non essential shops but not Manufacturing warehouses or mail Order warehouses. I think he should have shut the lot for 3 weeks and get on top of this virus. But he hasn't. But that doesn't mean businesses owners cant do the right thing. Coach horses in Huncoat business park has shut down for 3 weeks with staff receiving 80% of their pay. 

45 minutes ago, Hasta said:

See my edited post above which I expanded after you quoted. 

All I'm saying is there isn't any backtracking from the actual speech as far as I can tell.

You are correct. There is no back tracking from his speech but the person who posted the wrong info online needs a stern bollockining..

59 minutes ago, den said:

To keep people away from close contact. To keep away best the can. Keep in your house and mainly watch TV. most people have plenty to do in house. Work from home if you can. 

I know I recieved an email this morning from work saying they are open as usual. Later an email explaining why they are open and government advice. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Of course, because the World Health Organisation is motivated to crash the world economy 🙄

I'm not sure why we need an unelected unaccountable Global institution like ""The World Health Organisation" in the first place. Keeps a large number of people in very well paid jobs I suppose.

Back in October there was an event hosted by the WHO (Event 201 which you can read about on the internet) with delegates from Countries across the world and the Bill Gates foundation which apparently hopes to be involved in mass vaccination programmes from 2021 onwards. This was a theoretical exercise to explore how Countries would act and tell people what to do in the event of a fictional pandemic which sounded remarkably similar to the current one although if memory serves me the base assumption was that the fictional virus would be a lot more deadly than Corona virus.

It seems remarkably coincidental that this virus has popped up immediately in the aftermath of that exercise. This could of course be fanciful conspiracy theory  but even if this virus was a complete fluke of nature and not a man made attempt by the WHO to justify its existence or the Chinese trying to crash the Western economies or a deliberate social experiment to see how easy it is to get troops on the street without any resistance, various governments will nevertheless have noted that all you have to do is dangle a health threat and people are begging them to deprive them of their liberty which is deeply worrying going forward.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

To keep people away from close contact. To keep away best the can. Keep in your house and mainly watch TV. most people have plenty to do in house. Work from home if you can. 

I know I recieved an email this morning from work saying they are open as usual. Later an email explaining why they are open and government advice. 

The overwhelming message from Johnsons statement last night was to say how vital it is to stay at home. At the same time he’s telling everybody to go to work if your employer tells you to, many of whom can’t possibly stay 2 meters apart. Here in Leyland C & W Berry a large builders merchant has closed while self employed construction workers desperate for an income can’t work because they can’t get building materials. They have no income. 

This just isn’t good enough.

Edited by den