10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I guess the key point is other countries had the same or less information and reacted differently.

We're too early on the curve to see the impact of the governments decisions but it will be pretty plain in a couple of months.

The main thing that's clear is all Western governments really really dropped the ball on testing, the UK government particularly so.

The problem with testing kits is they're not readily available, the entire world was caught out by this and are everyone is struggling to source kits.

If you have symptoms you only stay off work and isolated yourself for 7 days but other family members in the household need to isolated for 14 days. 

Screenshot_20200325-133603_Chrome.jpg

That's correct. My housemate finished his self-isolation yesterday but I've still got another six days to go. 

Edited by DE.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pretty strong viewpoint from a mod. Are you not mean to be impartial? 

I think what 47er is saying is very relevant 

This forum could definitely do without posts like these. Mods give up their own time to help keep this board running.
Mods are posters as well and as such, are allowed their own viewpoints. 

You have to ask why the government has not supported the self-employed sooner. 

Sunak said it was “incredibly complicated” to design a scheme that would be “deliverable and fair” but Norway, Germany, Italy and France have already introduced schemes to support self-employed and freelance workers.  Norway’s system pays self-employed people 80 per cent of their average earnings over the previous three-year period.

One consequence of this: all those self-employed who have been under-declaring their tax (or not paying at all) over the years will lose out. Good. 

And another thing

You also have to ask why people all over the country are being denied tests, and told to wait until the brink of death before they even call the NHS, while the rich (like numerous MPs, celebrities, and Prince Charles) get tests for mild symptoms and even when they're asymptomatic.

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Where did you get the impression Mods weren't allowed "viewpoints".

I think it's been brought up many times on the board.

Does it look like I'm currently "modding" something? 

Any board I have been on,the moderators moderate and don't take sides in discussions. If it's different here,fair enough. 

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

This forum could definitely do without posts like these. Mods give up their own time to help keep this board running.
Mods are posters as well and as such, are allowed their own viewpoints. 

Well that's fine until they start deleting posts that disagree with them. In my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/17/new-data-uk-government-coronavirus-pandemic-measures

Think this scientist puts it best:

"It’s easy to criticise those in charge, but I can’t overemphasise how difficult these decisions are. There is no one right answer about how to tackle a pandemic caused by an entirely novel virus. "

People should still be allowed critisize them. I don't see why you have such an issue with people doing this 

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Plus things could go Mad Max there very quickly. Watched a report last night, they have lads waiting for this type of thing with stockpiles of weapons etc. Things could take a dramatic turn there very easily. 

That won't happen. My take is that they like the idea of it more than actually doing anything. It's a lifestyle and an identity fueled by years of marketing by gun manufacturers, the NRA, politicians, and religious groups.

The management of the virus has been a bit of a mess. Trump dismissed it at first which put the country a month behind. As I've said before states are forging their own path as there is no national policy nor is the virus affecting everywhere the same. New York City has it the worst with over half of all cases, their strategy differs from somewhere like Wyoming which has very few. America is as large as the whole of Europe and has a lot less people so a regional approach is probably a better idea.

Trump said yesterday that he wants to the country to be back to normal by Easter. He's mental in thinking that but plenty will believe him. There is a growing chorus to ease restrictions especially from right wing politicians and pundits but states won't budge until they feel as if they have it under control. One university is telling students to come back this week. It's a fundamental religious one and the head of it thinks that coronavirus a Chinese biological weapon.

In other news over here a couple in Arizona decided to ingest some fish aquarium cleaner as it had an ingredient in it that is also in an anti malaria drug that Trump has been touting as a cure. The husband died and the wife is still in the hospital.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well that's fine until they start deleting posts that disagree with them. In my opinion. 

It hasn’t happened for that reason and never will.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It hasn’t happened for that reason and never will.

Mmm. 

Look I think ye do a great job and I can imagine we all want to go back to the football and arguing whether Mowbray should be here next season or not. 

6 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

That won't happen. My take is that they like the idea of it more than actually doing anything. It's a lifestyle and an identity fueled by years of marketing by gun manufacturers, the NRA, politicians, and religious groups.

The management of the virus has been a bit of a mess. Trump dismissed it at first which put the country a month behind. As I've said before states are forging their own path as there is no national policy nor is the virus affecting everywhere the same. New York City has it the worst with over half of all cases, their strategy differs from somewhere like Wyoming which has very few. America is as large as the whole of Europe and has a lot less people so a regional approach is probably a better idea.

Trump said yesterday that he wants to the country to be back to normal by Easter. He's mental in thinking that but plenty will believe him. There is a growing chorus to ease restrictions especially from right wing politicians and pundits but states won't budge until they feel as if they have it under control. One university is telling students to come back this week. It's a fundamental religious one and the head of it thinks that coronavirus a Chinese biological weapon.

In other news over here a couple in Arizona decided to ingest some fish aquarium cleaner as it had an ingredient in it that is also in an anti malaria drug that Trump has been touting as a cure. The husband died and the wife is still in the hospital.

Ya,you are probably right that most like the idea of it. 

As for Trump,he certainly did downplay it,but he also banned flights from China, only to be called a racist for doing so. 

As for the last paragraph,ya I read that article yesterday. It's BS how the daily mail reported it(surprise, surprise). The fish tank cleaner they drank had a similar name to the drug Trump mentioned. That's it. Yet you would think going off the headline and article they actually did what he told them to do. It's absolutely absurd. 

Here is the article 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8144449/amp/Man-dies-wife-critical-care-took-fish-tank-cleaner-cure-coronavirus.html

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

People should still be allowed critisize them. I don't see why you have such an issue with people doing this 

Eh?! Where have you got that from?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. 

I'm fact checking 47er,  as I don't like misinformation. How has 4 days turned into 2 weeks? (3.5 fold). He's not the first, I asked someone else the same question a few pages back. 

And I'm doing it as a forum member, not a mod.  I note neither he or the other poster has come back with an answer. That's fine, whatever, people get stuff wrong, but I'm allowed to pull them up on it when it's being bandied around as fact. 

3 minutes ago, Silas said:

Eh?! Where have you got that from?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. 

I'm fact checking 47er,  as I don't like misinformation. How has 4 days turned into 2 weeks? (3.5 fold). He's not the first, I asked someone else the same question a few pages back. 

And I'm doing it as a forum member, not a mod.  I note neither he or the other poster has come back with an answer. That's fine, whatever, people get stuff wrong, but I'm allowed to pull them up on it when it's being bandied around as fact. 

I would say you should have other targets ahead of 47er so. Misinformation has been going on for weeks. You have commented a few times about people "leaving the government" alone and in that vein though ,so it's obviously something you feel strongly about. 

So it seems to me like it's fact checking from a certain personal viewpoint and that's fine. Just so we know. 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The main thing that's clear is all Western governments really really dropped the ball on testing, the UK government particularly so.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well I would say mass testing is always going to be a good idea. I can't think of a scenario where that isn't the case. So not doing that was, imo, a real balls up.

Yeah, saw an article about this other day, and how important it is to control of the virus. There's a Worldwide shortage now, so everyone waiting on more stocks.

But why didn't we start stockpiling these in Jan/Feb just on case? Seems like people thought it wouldn't get across to our Country in such a big way.

And by the time it did, it was too late to react as we were further down the chain and Italy/Spain had took the stocks. 

I live in Ossy and i've just nipped to the shop for some milk and bread. 

People aren't getting it. Rhyddings Park had about 5 or 6 large groups (8+ people) from what I could see, with kids running all over the place (including the play area), picnics, etc. I had a number of funny looks when I swerved around people or purposely got out of the way to keep the 2 metre distance. To top it off I've got a household behind me where there's a full blown BBQ going on of around 6 or so people (3 of which I know don't live there)....

This is the reason we can't have nice things, the masses can't be trusted to follow some simple instructions for the greater good of mankind. Staggering isn't it.

Edited by Traviscon

And this is why Boris's mega announcement on Monday means nothing. Without enforcement it was just another plea to behave which a significant amount of people won't pay attention to. 

I've just been to Sainsburys, the shelves are practically empty, but loads of fresh veg. People seem to have headed the warning, the place was deserted, the roads were deserted and the police are out in force on foot.

One thing I did notice, lots of older people out walking, I understand the need to get out, but if you're older you are more likely to be severely impacted by this virus, strange decision making in my opinion.

Keep washing your hands, thats the best way to keep yourself and others safe.

I don't think there's a problem with anyone out walking as long as they are only in family groups, they don't have any symptoms and they keep at least 2m apart.

I went out yesterday for a bike ride and in a 75 minute ride I didn't see any issues at all, although I was on quiet country lanes, except for one cyclist who flashed past me about a couple of feet away with a cheery 'good morning' into my face.

6 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I don't think there's a problem with anyone out walking as long as they are only in family groups, they don't have any symptoms and they keep at least 2m apart.

I went out yesterday for a bike ride and in a 75 minute ride I didn't see any issues at all, although I was on quiet country lanes, except for one cyclist who flashed past me about a couple of feet away with a cheery 'good morning' into my face.

No i agree o2g, i just found it strange that older folks are out walking in the lanes around here, I don't see them normally, sorry I didn't explain my point very well.

Major of NY has just said they need 30,000 ventilators, thats the single biggest issue from them right now. Over half the cases in US are in NY, very much like London, its a travel hub from people from all over the world, so not surprising really.

Edited by Gav

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

And this is why Boris's mega announcement on Monday means nothing. Without enforcement it was just another plea to behave which a significant amount of people won't pay attention to. 

Johnson is a circus act. Always has been, always will be.

Get somebody serious like the Queen to give the message.

I imagine it's because it's one thing they can do to get out of the house for a while and because we have some excellent weather for it just now. I suspect a lot of them would normally have been out in the car to go shopping, go for a coffee etc.

Precisely. We went for a walk today and passed, at a proper distance, a lot of people also out walking. All observed the protocols around avoiding others. Normally wed have been in the Lakes, or running a toddler group, or having coffee, or going to the cinema  theatre or just being with other people. This weather wont last so most are getting out while they can and boosting their vitamin D levels. There'll be plenty of rainy days for most of us to stay in and get miserable.  The outdoors boosts a positive mental state on days like today and, provided one keeps appropriate distances away even for older people it's probably a good thing. As for the idiots congregating in groups, least said the better.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Where I live in Clayton Le Moors, the streets are quiet, traffic non existence. So its does appear majority of people are finally listening to people. 

You will always get some people who will pay zero attention to the government's advice.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I've just been to Sainsburys, the shelves are practically empty, but loads of fresh veg. People seem to have headed the warning, the place was deserted, the roads were deserted and the police are out in force on foot.

One thing I did notice, lots of older people out walking, I understand the need to get out, but if you're older you are more likely to be severely impacted by this virus, strange decision making in my opinion.

Keep washing your hands, thats the best way to keep yourself and others safe.

Yes that's the best way to keep washing your hands. I will keep washing my hands tomorrow at work. 

I agree the majority of people are finally listening to the direct advice from the government. 

Over 405,000 people have volunteered to help NHS by delivering medicines, ring Elderly people, etc. That's in a single day