Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Silas said:

 

Yeah, saw an article about this other day, and how important it is to control of the virus. There's a Worldwide shortage now, so everyone waiting on more stocks.

But why didn't we start stockpiling these in Jan/Feb just on case? Seems like people thought it wouldn't get across to our Country in such a big way.

And by the time it did, it was too late to react as we were further down the chain and Italy/Spain had took the stocks. 

Yup that was the balls up and it's probably cost 4-5k lives. Overwhelming testing would have allowed us to contain it. Also could have let us keep the economy open like South Korea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gav said:

The problem with testing kits is they're not readily available, the entire world was caught out by this and are everyone is struggling to source kits.

We should have prioritised getting them made. As soon as the test was worked out in early Jan it's just a case of money to get the tests built. We could have had millions in play by now.

Just a simple f*** up really.

I expect a huge overhaul in global testing to be the key lesson from all of this. A network of test factories across the globe and major testing equipment installed at airports etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

That won't happen. My take is that they like the idea of it more than actually doing anything. It's a lifestyle and an identity fueled by years of marketing by gun manufacturers, the NRA, politicians, and religious groups.

The management of the virus has been a bit of a mess. Trump dismissed it at first which put the country a month behind. As I've said before states are forging their own path as there is no national policy nor is the virus affecting everywhere the same. New York City has it the worst with over half of all cases, their strategy differs from somewhere like Wyoming which has very few. America is as large as the whole of Europe and has a lot less people so a regional approach is probably a better idea.

Trump said yesterday that he wants to the country to be back to normal by Easter. He's mental in thinking that but plenty will believe him. There is a growing chorus to ease restrictions especially from right wing politicians and pundits but states won't budge until they feel as if they have it under control. One university is telling students to come back this week. It's a fundamental religious one and the head of it thinks that coronavirus a Chinese biological weapon.

In other news over here a couple in Arizona decided to ingest some fish aquarium cleaner as it had an ingredient in it that is also in an anti malaria drug that Trump has been touting as a cure. The husband died and the wife is still in the hospital.

America is in a really bad position. No central leadership, a fractured health system, and the most unfit population in the world.

It's looking grim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrifying from the USA.

Total confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at end of each Tuesday:

• Jan. 14 — 0

• Jan. 21 — 1

• Jan. 28 — 5

• Feb. 4 — 11

• Feb. 11 — 14

• Feb. 18 — 25

• Feb. 25 — 59

• Mar. 3 — 125

• Mar. 10 — 1,004

• Mar. 17 — 5,902

• Mar. 24 — 53,478

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

America is in a really bad position. No central leadership, a fractured health system, and the most unfit population in the world.

It's looking grim

In an election year too. No wonder Trump wants to get the US back to work by Easter.

There are worries about Africa and its lack of universal health care and vulnerability to Covid 19 but the US is not much better. 

Edited by jim mk2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We should have prioritised getting them made. As soon as the test was worked out in early Jan it's just a case of money to get the tests built. We could have had millions in play by now.

Just a simple f*** up really.

I expect a huge overhaul in global testing to be the key lesson from all of this. A network of test factories across the globe and major testing equipment installed at airports etc.

Have you seen the news conference where the experts have just explained the different types of tests? I counted 3, maybe 4 :wacko:

They explained which tests we have and which we have not. Some are not signed off as being fail safe, have a watch, it’ll help you better understand the tests/testing.

 

Edited by Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Have you seen the news conference where the experts have just explained the different types of tests? I counted 3, maybe 4 :wacko:

They explained which tests we have and which we have not. Some are not signed off as being fail safe, have a watch, it’ll help you better understand the tests/testing.

 

I watched it. Very interesting and good they explained it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all this is over, no matter how many people die, there will be a huge establishment effort to shift blame away from Johnson.

And some of the very worst things - the lack of testing, the unforgivable delays in delivering the lockdown,  the complete lack of clarity on who can carry on working or not, will be successfully shifted to some other dupe.

Asian countries relied on a plan that worked out on the basis of a flu epidemic ten years ago. Johnson ignored all of this. But he will be responsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It will affect me as I worked in the Manufacturing warehouse industry but I currently on day 7 of my self isolated with my missus and daughter. 

I am fully aware about goods coming from far east as I unloaded these types of wagons. 

I agree we need the economy to hit the ground running after this but we need to put people's health 1st

 

What does someone in isolation do if their washing machine or cooker breaks then Chaddy I'm intrigued and you seem to have all the answers.

Let me give you a bit of an insight of just a few of the steps in place.

Office staff are about 80% working from home. Hopefully by next week this will be over 90%

For those still in the office they must use sanitizer etc in the foyer before they even enter the main building, external visitors are strictly banned. Cleaners are working round the clock tirelessly keeping the place spotless. Desks have been moved round, everyone is far enough apart as advised, theres no meetings even with 2 people. If safer spending a full day there than nipping to the shop. Warehouse are on extended hours, not due to to order volume but to allow people to work safely.

As yet there remains 0 cases in employees since the outbreak.  Chances are their will be a full lockdown at some point, who knows when that may be. As it stands though mail order companies are most certainly serving a purpose for people stuck at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

When all this is over, no matter how many people die, there will be a huge establishment effort to shift blame away from Johnson.

And some of the very worst things - the lack of testing, the unforgivable delays in delivering the lockdown,  the complete lack of clarity on who can carry on working or not, will be successfully shifted to some other dupe.

Asian countries relied on a plan that worked out on the basis of a flu epidemic ten years ago. Johnson ignored all of this. But he will be responsible.

Give it a rest Jim.

This obsession to lay blame, hammer the tories and general point scoring across various website with wafer thin evidence is pathetic, people are dying, many more deaths to come, give it a bloody rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gav said:

Give it a rest Jim.

This obsession to lay blame, hammer the tories and general point scoring across various website with wafer thin evidence is pathetic, people are dying, many more deaths to come, give it a bloody rest.

 Open your eyes and stop insisting that the government is "doing a good job". It's made so many mis-steps and people are paying with their lives. Johnson was today blaming the London underground management and by implication Sadiq Khan (easy target) over its running of the tube network when he should be looking at himself and his mismanagement of the crisis. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

What does someone in isolation do if their washing machine or cooker breaks then Chaddy I'm intrigued and you seem to have all the answers.

I'm pretty much in this position now. Washing machine appears to have broken today, drum not spinning anymore. Great timing. I rent so I can get the letting agent to send someone out to look at it (although it'll be Tuesday at the earliest due to me being in self-isolation until Monday) but chances are we'll need a new one delivered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm pretty much in this position now. Washing machine appears to have broken today, drum not spinning anymore. Great timing. I rent so I can get the letting agent to send someone out to look at it (although it'll be Tuesday at the earliest due to me being in self-isolation until Monday) but chances are we'll need a new one delivered. 

You can stand outside or something when the mechanic comes, maybe? @gumboots sort of mentioned something about somebody coming to do some work, and they waited out the back. I'm not 100% certain, but maybe check if it's possible. Or just remain stinky for a few more days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yoogo said:

You can stand outside or something when the mechanic comes, maybe? @gumboots sort of mentioned something about somebody coming to do some work, and they waited out the back. I'm not 100% certain, but maybe check if it's possible. Or just remain stinky for a few more days.

Hah, I've got enough clean washing to get by until next week so it's not a huge problem. Of all the times for the bloody thing to stop working though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm pretty much in this position now. Washing machine appears to have broken today, drum not spinning anymore. Great timing. I rent so I can get the letting agent to send someone out to look at it (although it'll be Tuesday at the earliest due to me being in self-isolation until Monday) but chances are we'll need a new one delivered. 

Belt might have snapped if it's not turning at all, does it sound like it's trying to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hah, I've got enough clean washing to get by until next week so it's not a huge problem. Of all the times for the bloody thing to stop working though!

I'm a bit of a soft touch to be honest, but if I can get through a stricter COVID lock-down than the UK has, shit myself (literally) in between two big earthquakes on a Sunday morning within the space of 40 minutes, and witness my cat's eye hanging out of its socket by 5-10cm and nurse it through the aftermath of emergency surgery, I'm pretty damn sure you'll be strong enough without your washing machine until Tuesday! 😄

Edited by Yoogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

What does someone in isolation do if their washing machine or cooker breaks then Chaddy I'm intrigued and you seem to have all the answers.

Let me give you a bit of an insight of just a few of the steps in place.

Office staff are about 80% working from home. Hopefully by next week this will be over 90%

For those still in the office they must use sanitizer etc in the foyer before they even enter the main building, external visitors are strictly banned. Cleaners are working round the clock tirelessly keeping the place spotless. Desks have been moved round, everyone is far enough apart as advised, theres no meetings even with 2 people. If safer spending a full day there than nipping to the shop. Warehouse are on extended hours, not due to to order volume but to allow people to work safely.

As yet there remains 0 cases in employees since the outbreak.  Chances are their will be a full lockdown at some point, who knows when that may be. As it stands though mail order companies are most certainly serving a purpose for people stuck at home.

You wait until your isolated is over with. Stop the spread if you are isolated. 

and where this work place? 

I have been in isolated from my work place from last 7 days. I'm back into my workplace. I have been talking to my department manager today and he is happy I'm back to in tomorrow. Also spoken to a colleague today and he said that people aren't doing social distance, office staff at home, the manufacturing side of the warehouse is open.   #

Businesses like Coach houses in Altham and Bensons for beds in Huncoat have close down. Both have warehouses in my local area

55 minutes ago, Gav said:

Give it a rest Jim.

This obsession to lay blame, hammer the tories and general point scoring across various website with wafer thin evidence is pathetic, people are dying, many more deaths to come, give it a bloody rest.

Gav, you are spot on. 

Jim is playing party politics games like he likes doing. I don't know if you watched the house of commons today but you will see all parties working together and not playing party politics. Even Labour Party aren't playing party politics with the national crisis. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You wait until your isolated is over with. Stop the spread if you are isolated. 

and where this work place? 

I have been in isolated from my work place from last 7 days. I'm back into my workplace. I have been talking to my department manager today and he is happy I'm back to in tomorrow. Also spoken to a colleague today and he said that people aren't doing social distance, office staff at home, the manufacturing side of the warehouse is open.   

 

Wow,still.doesn't get it. How is he letting you back after 7 days? It's meant to be 14. 

And he said people aren't doing social distancing? Which himself and yourself are fine with. 

Wow, just wow. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

What does someone in isolation do if their washing machine or cooker breaks then Chaddy I'm intrigued and you seem to have all the answers.

Let me give you a bit of an insight of just a few of the steps in place.

Office staff are about 80% working from home. Hopefully by next week this will be over 90%

For those still in the office they must use sanitizer etc in the foyer before they even enter the main building, external visitors are strictly banned. Cleaners are working round the clock tirelessly keeping the place spotless. Desks have been moved round, everyone is far enough apart as advised, theres no meetings even with 2 people. If safer spending a full day there than nipping to the shop. Warehouse are on extended hours, not due to to order volume but to allow people to work safely.

As yet there remains 0 cases in employees since the outbreak.  Chances are their will be a full lockdown at some point, who knows when that may be. As it stands though mail order companies are most certainly serving a purpose for people stuck at home.

Certainly some people there are providing a service. However, I think having a fully operational collections department, chasing customers for payments of unsecured loans, borrowed at an APR of 41.2% at a point in time when the government has felt it necessary to introduce mortgage and rent relief measures is frankly beyond the pale. and refusing to pay employees self isolating due to symptoms or vulnerable children is disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Certainly some people there are providing a service. However, I think having a fully operational collections department, chasing customers for payments of unsecured loans, borrowed at an APR of 41.2% at a point in time when the government has felt it necessary to introduce mortgage and rent relief measures is frankly beyond the pale. and refusing to pay employees self isolating due to symptoms or vulnerable children is disgusting.

Talking about a company that Mike Ashley has 37% in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Talking about a company that Mike Ashley has 37% in? 

Yep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow,still.doesn't get it. How is he letting you back after 7 days? It's meant to be 14. 

And he said people aren't doing social distancing? Which himself and yourself are fine with. 

Wow, just wow. 

If you are the first person in your household to show symptoms you self isolate for 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to brave a supermarket run in a couple of days. Anyone any local experience of which to avoid? 

Thought I may do Aldi at Whitebirk.

Applied to volunteer last night it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get screened and approved  etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.