7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If you are the first person in your household to show symptoms you self isolate for 7 days.

Screenshot_20200325-133603_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Some good news at last but even at 25,000 tests a day it will take 3 years to test 25 million people . 

https://www.ft.com/content/fce110fc-6eaf-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Well those figures don't add up. 

25k a week, 175k a week, 9.1million people over ýear

Edited by chaddyrovers

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’m going to brave a supermarket run in a couple of days. Anyone any local experience of which to avoid? 

Thought I may do Aldi at Whitebirk.

Applied to volunteer last night it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get screened and approved  etc 

They re stock regularly , and you are rationed in each product . It’s German and efficient . The best so far 

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Belt might have snapped if it's not turning at all, does it sound like it's trying to?

No it makes absolutely no effort to spin whatsoever. It drains fine but there's not even an attempt to start spinning the drum. I can reach in and physically turn it, and it feels normal with the usual slight resistance and whirring sound. I'm assuming either the motor has gone or the carbon brushes need replacing.

56 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

I'm a bit of a soft touch to be honest, but if I can get through a stricter COVID lock-down than the UK has, shit myself (literally) in between two big earthquakes on a Sunday morning within the space of 40 minutes, and witness my cat's eye hanging out of its socket by 5-10cm and nurse it through the aftermath of emergency surgery, I'm pretty damn sure you'll be strong enough without your washing machine until Tuesday! 😄

Yes mate you've definitely got it worse than me 🤣 look after yourself (and the cat!), it sounds like you've had a really rough few days. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, you are spot on. 

Jim is playing party politics games like he likes doing. I don't know if you watched the house of commons today but you will see all parties working together and not playing party politics. Even Labour Party aren't playing party politics with the national crisis. 

Only you are playing party politics Chaddy, only you ever mention the Labour Party. Others are commenting on how the government are handling the crisis. You have little answer to the comments so try to make it political. 

however, since you mention how the Labour Party are completely behind the Tories, that’s not true. In case you missed it, Corbyn, several Labour MP’s and the mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham have been fighting the cause of the self employed workers for a while now. Get that, - Labour MP’s backing the plight of the self employed. So far they’ve been hung out to dry by the government, but hopefully they might get some kind of backing tomorrow from Sunak - and not before time.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Have you seen the news conference where the experts have just explained the different types of tests? I counted 3, maybe 4 :wacko:

They explained which tests we have and which we have not. Some are not signed off as being fail safe, have a watch, it’ll help you better understand the tests/testing.

The simple active infection positivity test has been available since early Jan and is what South Korea have deployed so well to control the outbreak. That's the one I am referring to in terms of mistakes made. Western governments should have manufactured millions of those tests.

I know there are other tests, including antibody tests, which have come later. But they are not relevant to stopping the initial outbreak.

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well those figures don't add up. 

It would take 1 year to test eveveryone. 

25k a week, 175k a week, 9.1million people over ýear

0/10. Fail. Try again. 

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The simple active infection positivity test has been available since early Jan and is what South Korea have deployed so well to control the outbreak. That's the one I am referring to in terms of mistakes made. Western governments should have manufactured millions of those tests.

I know there are other tests, including antibody tests, which have come later. But they are not relevant to stopping the initial outbreak.

We started testing in January.

The US has already done more of those tests than South Korea and it will make no difference to them, they're about to be hit hard, many people are going to die sadly.

The government probably could have moved quicker, but we are all clever after the fact and I'm sure things will come out in the wash.

Edited by Gav

Just spare a thought for The Royals at this time.
Prince Charles confined to Windsor Castle with Covid 19.
Poor Prince Andrew held up at Balmoral with Chloe 14

47 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Watched some of the tea time presser, what  a joke,  completely evasive on the issue of testing; excuse after excuse of why it couldn't be done and even when it is it'll only be rolled out gradually to certain categories of worker.

The Government seem unbelievably reluctant to fund or introduce mass testing. And little wonder . It would probably reveal that a substantial proportion of us have had it already and that an extended blanket lockdown, as opposed to a targeted lockdown of the vulnerable and elderly would be even more pointless and damaging than it already is.

57 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

0/10. Fail. Try again. 

175,000 x 52 weeks is 9.1 million. 25k tests a day. 7 days a week. Got to let them have Christmas day off. 

So suggested you try again Jim..

1 hour ago, den said:

Only you are playing party politics Chaddy, only you ever mention the Labour Party. Others are commenting on how the government are handling the crisis. You have little answer to the comments so try to make it political. 

however, since you mention how the Labour Party are completely behind the Tories, that’s not true. In case you missed it, Corbyn, several Labour MP’s and the mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham have been fighting the cause of the self employed workers for a while now. Get that, - Labour MP’s backing the plight of the self employed. So far they’ve been hung out to dry by the government, but hopefully they might get some kind of backing tomorrow from Sunak - and not before time.

I agree with Gav on the government handling of it. Following the Chief Medical officer and Chief Scientist officer advise.  Yes I watched today press conference. So sorry but I ain't the one playing politics with the national crisis..

Well Den I never said Labour party completely behind the Tories but said the Labour party aren't either playing games with the national crisis. 

If you actually watched the house of commons properly(watched alot of it) you will find all politics parties have been asking the chancellor about the self employed people whether it's a conservative MP's or Labour or Lib Dem or SNP or DUP. Who is playing party politics now by only mentioning labour MP's?

Chancellor will come forward with the plans by end of the weekend. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he sure he didnt contract it from a foreign delivery driver?

Funny enough none of the group I went to Cheltenham with have any symptoms or their friends or family. Wonder why? 

But a number of staff within my department have the symptoms at work. Plus other staff in other departments. 

9 hours ago, Silas said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/17/new-data-uk-government-coronavirus-pandemic-measures

Think this scientist puts it best:

"It’s easy to criticise those in charge, but I can’t overemphasise how difficult these decisions are. There is no one right answer about how to tackle a pandemic caused by an entirely novel virus. "

Nobody would disagree with that. Whether those responsible have done the job well enough or not is a matter for the individual. I think they have got there eventually (with some gaps) but not as quickly as they should have. No sneering from you will change my mind. Nor, I suspect will copious references from me change your's. 

You think its all been the best a British government could do, I differ.

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he sure he didnt contract it from a foreign delivery driver?

Naughty but very funny. 

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

We started testing in January.

The US has already done more of those tests than South Korea and it will make no difference to them, they're about to be hit hard, many people are going to die sadly.

The government probably could have moved quicker, but we are all clever after the fact and I'm sure things will come out in the wash.

I'm not trying to be patronising here, but your missing the key point that South Korea is a much much smaller country than the US so has performed many many more tests per head of the population.

I'm a bit confused about what issue you have with my point?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-19-tests-country?country=AUS+AUT+BRA+BEL+COL+FRA+FIN+DEU+PAK+RUS+NOR+VNM+USA+GBR+KOR

8 hours ago, K-Hod said:

This forum could definitely do without posts like these. Mods give up their own time to help keep this board running.
Mods are posters as well and as such, are allowed their own viewpoints. 

You're right of course, No point being on here if you can't post anything! Didn't think much of the manner of it though.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

175,000 x 52 weeks is 9.1 million. 25k tests a day. 7 days a week. Got to let them have Christmas day off. 

So suggested you try again Jim..

I said: "Some good news at last but even at 25,000 tests a day it will take 3 years to test 25 million people " 

You said: "Those figures don't add up. It would take 1 year to test eveveryone."

Please explain

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm not trying to be patronising here, but your missing the key point that South Korea is a much much smaller country than the US so has performed many many more tests per head of the population.

I'm a bit confused about what issue you have with my point?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-19-tests-country?country=AUS+AUT+BRA+BEL+COL+FRA+FIN+DEU+PAK+RUS+NOR+VNM+USA+GBR+KOR

SKorea has also been testing much longer than the US, but yes point taken.

As for the testing and the different types of tests, it matters not, but testing isn’t straight forward as I’ve learnt tonight and not readily available.

Edited by Gav

7 hours ago, Silas said:

Eh?! Where have you got that from?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. 

I'm fact checking 47er,  as I don't like misinformation. How has 4 days turned into 2 weeks? (3.5 fold). He's not the first, I asked someone else the same question a few pages back. 

And I'm doing it as a forum member, not a mod.  I note neither he or the other poster has come back with an answer. That's fine, whatever, people get stuff wrong, but I'm allowed to pull them up on it when it's being bandied around as fact. 

I compile my opinions from all the stuff I read daily and I read a lot. If you think I'm going to waste hours looking back for articles and referencing them for you to tell me, without reading them, that it's a difficult job and the Government's done fine you must have rocks in your head!

I've given my opinion, if you don't like it, I don't give a shit.

Only a few days ago, at his press conference, Johnson said we could pack this virus away within 3 months!!

That was rubbish then and its rubbish now. So why did he say it? He couldn't possibly have believed it. Show me the expert who agrees with that!

Liar or fool?

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I said: "Some good news at last but even at 25,000 tests a day it will take 3 years to test 25 million people " 

You said: "Those figures don't add up. It would take 1 year to test eveveryone."

Please explain

That comment was replying to something else. Now deleted. 

You test 9.1 million people per year

3 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Not going out .....

6E63A889-3D79-4920-A8F2-6F040A517538.png

Gee, that Cheltenham event claimed a few scalps!!

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Funny enough none of the group I went to Cheltenham with have any symptoms or their friends or family. Wonder why? 

But a number of staff within my department have the symptoms at work. Plus other staff in other departments. 

Asymptomatic? Did you trace friends of friends, friends of family, extended family and workmates?

If so please contact the government immediately, a man of your skills is required right now.

Silas---just heard an interview with  Antony Costello a former scientist from WHO on the World Tonight that Ireland is doing 100000 Coronavirus tests a week and Britain is doing 35000!

Ireland's population is 4.1 million. Given the difference in population, should be the other way round and then some eh?

Furthermore, the British Government said 10 days ago that it was going to ramp up mass testing but 10 days later its still doing the same amount. He described the Government's approach as "really, really slow".

He stated that Jeremy Hunt had asked the government in parliament today why the viral testing programme was not expanding. Costello described the government as "struggling to answer".

You will recall that Hunt is a Conservative MP and a former Secretary for Health. His concerns are also reported in the Telegraph and the Daily Mail. 

Perhaps you'd care to respond? Interview freely available on BBC Radio iPlayer.