Sign in to follow this  
Montyburns

Coronavirus

Just now, Blue blood said:

And a ton of young people who haven't died have still been off work very sick. It is having a huge effect. 

From my knowledge- mainly limited to my wife's work - the response hasn't been good enough. NHS staff have been given very limited supplies of "protective" gear, and frankly I am amazed at the boldness and balls NHS staff have to keep doing their job. To say they are under protected is a heck of an understatement. Yet they keep going in. 

Having decent levels of good equipment really should have been something the government should have managed. There's a whole host of other naive/poor decisions imo but stuff like this seems basic. Right tools for the job seems elementary to me. 

Massive respect for those who are on the frontline fighting this. Seemingly with many hands tied behind their backs as well. They are risking their own health to save others in very difficult circumstances. It is ingrained into people like this to always want to help and it is a personality trait that I wish many others in different walks of life shared - it is quite clear that it is not however. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Bollocks,

Wuhan under total lock down until 8 April.

Hubei Province had the slightest lifting of restrictions yesterday.

If you go to anywhere in China, the current relaxed restrictions are stricter than you currently have in the UK.

These things are relative. 

I should have said China, not Wuhan, my mistake. 

But these strict restrictions you mention don’t include The Great Wall I see which is open to tourists:

Most popular section of Great Wall reopened

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Of course it hasn't! I never said it had. I'm concluding its your attitude from your posts.

You gone to a lot of time and trouble to present yourself as a reasonable, even-handed chap but you're not. I can't remember you finding fault with anything the government has done in respect of this virus. Even some Conservative members have expressed concern and alarm at short-comings they've identified but I guess they are just politicising the issue eh?

How about----- sending this virus packing within 3 months? Stupid, irresponsible, a lie?

How about shortages in the most basic medical equipment for those on the front-line eg begging schools to donate stuff from the chem labs?

Series of stories in the Guardian today from NHS who are scared stiff but soldiering on anyway eg Midwife, Greater London----"we have been told to use surgical masks and a plastic apron. A couple of days ago we still had plastic goggles from s DIY store......We have also run out of the virus testing kits. They have known this was coming for months, clearly there has been no preparation."

Its not "politicising" the virus to draw attention to these and other issues, its actually unpatriotic not to.

I have praised the government for its financial measures, though we await the details on help for the army of self-employed (so-called).

Those working at the coal face strongly fear that the NHS is going to be over-whelmed in the next days and weeks and will not be able to cope.

Your final sentence shows your real character and I won't be reading any more of your posts.

Ironically, you're a Mod and I'm not allowed to put you on ignore like I used to.

On a charm offensive this morning, eh?

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Of course it hasn't! I never said it had. I'm concluding its your attitude from your posts.

You gone to a lot of time and trouble to present yourself as a reasonable, even-handed chap but you're not. I can't remember you finding fault with anything the government has done in respect of this virus. Even some Conservative members have expressed concern and alarm at short-comings they've identified but I guess they are just politicising the issue eh?

How about----- sending this virus packing within 3 months? Stupid, irresponsible, a lie?

How about shortages in the most basic medical equipment for those on the front-line eg begging schools to donate stuff from the chem labs?

Series of stories in the Guardian today from NHS who are scared stiff but soldiering on anyway eg Midwife, Greater London----"we have been told to use surgical masks and a plastic apron. A couple of days ago we still had plastic goggles from s DIY store......We have also run out of the virus testing kits. They have known this was coming for months, clearly there has been no preparation."

Its not "politicising" the virus to draw attention to these and other issues, its actually unpatriotic not to.

I have praised the government for its financial measures, though we await the details on help for the army of self-employed (so-called).

Those working at the coal face strongly fear that the NHS is going to be over-whelmed in the next days and weeks and will not be able to cope.

Your final sentence shows your real character and I won't be reading any more of your posts.

Ironically, you're a Mod and I'm not allowed to put you on ignore like I used to.

I'm more likely to agree with your views than his, but I can assure you Silas is a thoroughly decent chap.

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'm more likely to agree with your views than his, but I can assure you Silas is a thoroughly decent chap.

Best I go away for a bit and give it a rest.

Pity there's no football!

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Where I work the boss has lodged a claim on behalf of the employees on the desk through the Federation of Small Businesses who have told him that it could be 6 months before he sees any money such is the volume of cases.

Defer your VAT payment.

Use the Business Interuption Loan scheme to get a 12 month interest free loan to pay the salaries.

52 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Except there have been cases involving young people with no underlying health conditions have been dying.....

I'm genuinely nor aware of more than a couple of these, and of course there will always be exceptions to the general trend just as there will be a lot more older people who have recovered from the virus than younger ones who have died from it but that isn't newsworthy and isn't reported.

What sort of numbers have been reported?

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Defer your VAT payment.

Use the Business Interuption Loan scheme to get a 12 month interest free loan to pay the salaries.

I'll tell him. Cheers.

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

Best I go away for a bit and give it a rest.

Pity there's no football!

You know nowt about that either :P :lol:

It seems we are reasonably well prepared locally, picked a nurse from Royal Blackburn up last night and she said four wards had been set aside for virus cases and as far as she knew they were either empty or one or two in.

This would probably tie in with reports of a 3rd death in Blackburn with Darwen on this morning's news.

(Incidentally she said that patients in general are only allowed only one visitor for one hour under the current circumstances and the public have been taking advantage by lingering on and on and on. For me this is far worse than people wanting to take advantage of a nice day and finding when they get there that many others had had the same idea which the media made such a song and dance about at the weekend.)

C'mon folks, they have enough to do.

Across the world we are seeing massive shortages in PPE kit and ventilators, thats a fact that every country is having to come to terms with, we can't just magic them up from think air.

I understand that our news agencies need to continue asking ministers about progress and ministers can't say:

"We simply don't have enough" 

But please take it from me, we will not have enough PPE kit or ventilators, thats just a fact we are going to have to come to terms with.

I have nothing but admiration for the doctors and nurses and just as important the very poorly paid workers in social care for just cracking on and putting peoples care first, but kit is going to be scarce, thats a sad fact. 

27 minutes ago, philipl said:

What is the figure on the right hand side pf the graph indicative of? 

(Ignore - it looks like it is percentage of usual level of trips planned with 100 being the normal level)

Edited by Hasta

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Massive respect for those who are on the frontline fighting this. Seemingly with many hands tied behind their backs as well. They are risking their own health to save others in very difficult circumstances. It is ingrained into people like this to always want to help and it is a personality trait that I wish many others in different walks of life shared - it is quite clear that it is not however. 

Some are forgotten , civil servants having to go into offices and process people’s benefits while other office workers can safely work from home 

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Across the world we are seeing massive shortages in PPE kit and ventilators, thats a fact that every country is having to come to terms with, we can't just magic them up from think air.

I understand that our news agencies need to continue asking ministers about progress and ministers can't say:

"We simply don't have enough" 

But please take it from me, we will not have enough PPE kit or ventilators, thats just a fact we are going to have to come to terms with.

I have nothing but admiration for the doctors and nurses and just as important the very poorly paid workers in social care for just cracking on and putting peoples care first, but kit is going to be scarce, thats a sad fact. 

Why can't they say " We simply don't have enough " ? Even the dogs in the street can see that's the truth of the matter. The thing is bullshitters think they can bullshit everybody all the time. The real question is why weren't we better prepared ? The Johnson gang were too busy printing fancy 50 p coins and slapping each other on the back over Brexit to see this coming.  They're now expecting nurses and doctors to take a knife to a gunfight.

Just like they sent bi-planes to attack the " Bismark " in the last war. Luckily the planes flew that slowly that the German's modern anti aircraft gun predictors couldn't compute speeds that slow !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why can't they say " We simply don't have enough " ? Even the dogs in the street can see that's the truth of the matter. The thing is bullshitters think they can bullshit everybody all the time. The real question is why weren't we better prepared ? The Johnson gang were too busy printing fancy 50 p coins and slapping each other on the back over Brexit to see this coming.  They're now expecting nurses and doctors to take a knife to a gunfight.

Can you imagine them saying we don't have enough, what the ramifications of that would be, political suicide TS, never going to happen.

The rest of the world are struggling for stock also and they didn't have Brexit to contend with.

Just hearing the NEC is being looked at as a potential makeshift hospital/morgue, this comes on the back of London Excel already being converted into a 4/5000 bed hospital and morgue.

Anyone who still doesn’t get this needs to give the head a wobble. 

2 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Some are forgotten , civil servants having to go into offices and process people’s benefits while other office workers can safely work from home 

Totally agree. My eldest daughter is a nursery nurse and still goes into work to look after children of those who need to work (NHS, food industry etc). These children are essentially babies/toddlers and so need feeding, noses blowing etc.  For all anyone knows, these children could be subjected to the virus at home from their parents who have to keep working. All this with no PPE and minimum wage to boot!

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just spare a thought for The Royals at this time.
Prince Charles confined to Windsor Castle with Covid 19.
Poor Prince Andrew held up at Balmoral with Chloe 14

90751569_2975858462481557_844270517467742208_n.jpg.03b5f09eaa0bd26aee364d8c5588a2ce.jpg

56 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just hearing the NEC is being looked at as a potential makeshift hospital/morgue, this comes on the back of London Excel already being converted into a 4/5000 bed hospital and morgue.

Anyone who still doesn’t get this needs to give the head a wobble. 

Yes but just for parity they built 4 in Wuhan hardly used them and are now closing them

40 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Totally agree. My eldest daughter is a nursery nurse and still goes into work to look after children of those who need to work (NHS, food industry etc). These children are essentially babies/toddlers and so need feeding, noses blowing etc.  For all anyone knows, these children could be subjected to the virus at home from their parents who have to keep working. All this with no PPE and minimum wage to boot!

The are plenty of unsung real heroes like your daughter out there. Anyone facing the public is taking a big risk on our behalf. Bus drivers for instance, my service is still running as before, albeit without many passengers most of the time. The bin men, handling all those bins. Shop assistants in food shops. The people working in Chemists shops, my sister for one, she's 55 with a bad chest ( smoker ) but she's still there every day. Even the guy in the newsagents etc. I take my hat off to all of them.   Stay lucky everyone.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces