2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Is 6 months correct because I've not seen a story on it anywhere. If true it's a stunning indictment of the government. 

It might not be correct at all jim, it was only an estimate from the FSB which might be miles out. And I presume they would err on the side of caution.

I think it's fair to say that both employed and self employed will have a  fair old wait for any money though. I read that article that Martin was actually trying to do his workers a favour by attempting to pin the Government down on exactly when they would have been paid.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It might not be correct at all jim, it was only an estimate from the FSB which might be miles out. And I presume they would err on the side of caution.

I think it's fair to say that both employed and self employed will have a  fair old wait for any money though. I read that article that Martin was actually trying to do his workers a favour by attempting to pin the Government down on exactly when they would have been paid.

So he was using his employees as a lever to force the government's hand?  What a charmer. The workers sitting at home wondering and worrying whether they will be paid their national minimum wage should take his advice and go and work for a company where they might feel more valued. 

Big recession on the way, and possibly a depression if the lockdown continues for a length of time

https://www.ft.com/content/c8999d7d-a6b4-465f-bbe3-bf9df019656a

The austerity dogma led to one lost economic decade from 2009-19 and the combination of Covid-19 and Brexit means there is likely to be another 10 years of no or very low growth. 

Hopefully people start taking social distancing as seriously as applauding - I'm sure the NHS would appreciate that more.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So he was using his employees as a lever to force the government's hand?  What a charmer. The workers sitting at home wondering and worrying whether they will be paid their national minimum wage should take his advice and go and work for a company where they might feel more valued. 

Perhaps he thought the Government wouldn't take any notice of him if he didn't use the threat but he wouldn't actually have followed through with it? Who knows.

From what I've heard most larger Companies are paying workers as normal this month but I'd imagine they'd be similarly miffed if no guarantees were in place after that.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Give the poor guy a break- he could hardly breathe to record the video.

He got what he wanted . You and your agenda , you play this place like a piano ! 😉. Look he doesnt have Corona , just a nasty bug . Compare U.K. and Germany positive / death rates 

Bang. First one gone. Chiquito's gone into administration.

That didn't take long. Does that mean their workers are now not protected by the Gov. Scheme?

Bet the Gov. never considered that possibility.

Lots of conspiracy twats on Facebook claiming 'it's funny how the virus never made it to Shanghai or Beijing'. Knobs.

My cousin lives and works in Shanghai, has done for a decade or so now. These are the conditions after coming OUT of lockdown and they're still stricter than us:

'Not lockdown anymore. Literally Everything was locked down for 3-4 weeks in February, but now it’s only schools, theaters and mass gatherings that are still closed. Daily life is getting back to normal. Most people are working again. malls, parks, bars and restaurants are open again, and people are out enjoying the warm weather. But there are still a number of “people control” measures in place. Masks are mandatory. (But you can take them off once you’re in the bar of restaurant) Temperature checks everywhere and you can’t get into any venue or public transport without having one. And people returning to Shanghai get met at the airport and taken to quarantine with no chance to mix with the public. But really hope in a few weeks things can turn around. Hope you and your family stay safe.'

33 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Lots of conspiracy twats on Facebook claiming 'it's funny how the virus never made it to Shanghai or Beijing'. 

Are you talking about the conspiracy theory that China made the virus and have had vaccine already made before the outbreak plus And they made it to crash the world enocomy? 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Lots of conspiracy twats on Facebook claiming 'it's funny how the virus never made it to Shanghai or Beijing'. Knobs.

My cousin lives and works in Shanghai, has done for a decade or so now. These are the conditions after coming OUT of lockdown and they're still stricter than us:

'Not lockdown anymore. Literally Everything was locked down for 3-4 weeks in February, but now it’s only schools, theaters and mass gatherings that are still closed. Daily life is getting back to normal. Most people are working again. malls, parks, bars and restaurants are open again, and people are out enjoying the warm weather. But there are still a number of “people control” measures in place. Masks are mandatory. (But you can take them off once you’re in the bar of restaurant) Temperature checks everywhere and you can’t get into any venue or public transport without having one. And people returning to Shanghai get met at the airport and taken to quarantine with no chance to mix with the public. But really hope in a few weeks things can turn around. Hope you and your family stay safe.'

The theater is a strange one. At least in a bar you can socially distance. I don't think I would enjoy the latest marvel movie is packed cinema to be honest 😯

Mate of mine who has a Company selling builders hardware makes the point that Company Directors who are paid by Dividend have been hung out to dry by the Government.

He has three incomes to replace including his own then making sure two of his main staff are ok.

Says it will decimate the money he had intended for his pension fund. Not what he'd anticipated for his retirement at all.

On 25/03/2020 at 22:49, 47er said:

Silas---just heard an interview with  Antony Costello a former scientist from WHO on the World Tonight that Ireland is doing 100000 Coronavirus tests a week and Britain is doing 35000!

Ireland's population is 4.1 million. Given the difference in population, should be the other way round and then some eh?

Furthermore, the British Government said 10 days ago that it was going to ramp up mass testing but 10 days later its still doing the same amount. He described the Government's approach as "really, really slow".

He stated that Jeremy Hunt had asked the government in parliament today why the viral testing programme was not expanding. Costello described the government as "struggling to answer".

You will recall that Hunt is a Conservative MP and a former Secretary for Health. His concerns are also reported in the Telegraph and the Daily Mail. 

Perhaps you'd care to respond? Interview freely available on BBC Radio iPlayer.

Ya, apparently we are doing a lot, but we have an issue with people who have no symptoms and haven't been traced demanding tests. We are getting through them though alright. 

Tragic case the last few days where 10 deaths were all linked to the same nursing home. Fuck this virus. 

On 25/03/2020 at 23:04, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Tory Minister in charge of procurement is getting a roasting  from Emily Maitlis on " Newsnight ". A study in evasion. Just a nodding dog which was ok before the crisis but now he's got to actually do something he's lost. If he's running the show no wonder we have problems. If this was a shooting war he would have been removed from his post tonight.

Our lot are getting it over procurement too. They all seem to have been caught on the hop for some bizzare reason. A huge order in the 100s of millions arriving in Dublin Sunday, from where you ask? Oh,just China. I have heard stories of nurses going to hardware stores to buy their own PPE. Governments will be judged on this for decades to come. 

On 25/03/2020 at 23:18, jim mk2 said:

Why no one should step into Wetherspoon again  (congratulations to those who have never entered in the first place)

Tim Martin, chairman of pub chain Wetherspoon, has said he will not pay employees beyond this Friday unless the government offers a firm date for payments to employers through its coronavirus job retention scheme.

https://www.ft.com/content/3c69066e-6ebd-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

As a reminder, Martin is an arch-Brexitee who regularly bashed the EU for over-regulating workers' rights. So now we know why - in order to throw his own employees under a bus at the first sign of trouble 

In my humble view Wetherspoon and Sports Direct and their owners have no place in our society. They are the ugly face of capitalism, they hold their employees in contempt and I hope people remember what they have done when this pandemic is over.

If you were asked for 2 companies who would do this, you could have probably guessed like. 

Why does that Weathersoons fossil get so much airtime? I just find him very arrogant. 

On 26/03/2020 at 07:25, philipl said:

image.thumb.png.258284c2379b5323fb7e67e53f50d36a.png

I really hope that doesn't go the way it's looking for the UK. Although for some reason people still think the government shut things in time (which they didn't) either way,it is irrelevant now. You seem to be giving it a a great go there and uniting. I think we all have to and let the reviews and evaluations take place when we get out the other side. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are some man for immediately finding and sharing something you agree with,but then taking days, weeks or even months to acknowledge contrary points ,even when people repeatedly show you articles stating these facts. Plus obviously you never find such articles or tweets yourself. 

Does your brain just refuse to see them or is it an active choice? 

Out of interest ,did you read the article? It sounds to me like the initial estimate was actually 500,000 dead. He basically admits mistakes were made in the article. 

I hope his new estimates are correct. 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you were asked for 2 companies who would do this, you could have probably guessed like. 

Why does that Weathersoons fossil get so much airtime? I just find him very arrogant. 

To be fair Tesco did apparently contact Wetherspoons asking for help with staff as they are looking for 20,000 extra

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Probably because he’s a gobshite (albeit an incredibly successful one) and likes the sound of his own voice.

He is the go to guy for a big business pro-Brexit view in the news, for example.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To be fair Tesco did apparently contact Wetherspoons asking for help with staff as they are looking for 20,000 extra

Is that right? Only there’s a video of Mr Martin encouraging his staff to work at Tesco when he said he wouldn’t be paying them. 
Only Tesco want 20,000 and he employs 40,000, so good for half his staff, anyhow....

I hear Mike Ashley has put out a statement apologising for lobbying government over keeping his shops open, strange times indeed.

He has also offered his entire fleet of lorries to the NHS, so credit where credits due. 

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really hope that doesn't go the way it's looking for the UK. Although for some reason people still think the government shut things in time (which they didn't) either way,it is irrelevant now. You seem to be giving it a a great go there and uniting. I think we all have to and let the reviews and evaluations take place when we get out the other side. 

It will only be deemed too late if it overwhelms the health service passed capacity. If cases reach a level we can cope with then the timing will have been OK. We have no idea at the moment whether we shut things at the right times or not.  

I've been speaking to our Swedish customer this morning who says life is not too different at the moment over there. Primary schools, bars and restaurants still open. Yet they have more or less the same number of cases/deaths per head of population as the UK

https://www.ft.com/content/31de03b8-6dbc-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Edited by Hasta

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are some man for immediately finding and sharing something you agree with,but then taking days, weeks or even months to acknowledge contrary points ,even when people repeatedly show you articles stating these facts. Plus obviously you never find such articles or tweets yourself. 

Does your brain just refuse to see them or is it an active choice? 

Out of interest ,did you read the article? It sounds to me like the initial estimate was actually 500,000 dead. He basically admits mistakes were made in the article. 

I hope his new estimates are correct. 

Come on mate you know the drill