Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are you talking about the conspiracy theory that China made the virus and have had vaccine already made before the outbreak plus And they made it to crash the world enocomy? 

No, but now you mention it, that is also complete BS. COVID-19's nearest relatives are harmless to humans or simply don't cross over, indicating a fluke of biology/evolution.

So delicate is genetic engineering that if you were going to engineer a virus as biological warfare, you wouldn't start with one that causes no harm at all. You'd start with one that already causes harm and make it deadly, surely?

Explained more comprehensively here:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/the-new-coronavirus-was-not-genetically-engineered-study-shows

Edited by Mike E

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

I hear Mike Ashley has put out a statement apologising for lobbying government over keeping his shops open, strange times indeed.

He has also offered his entire fleet of lorries to the NHS, so credit where credits due. 

Pennies really for the every so slight PR stunt. I think his true colours come out originally in fairness.

I've never been a fan of Mike Ashley. His 'business acumen' is to be a vulture. He finds struggling companies, buys them and slowly strips them down to a bargain outlet whilst retaining the expensive high street property. He cared more about money continuing to come into 70% Direct than he did his own staff, which is no surprise given the warehouse conditions he forces them to work in. Ashley is an unfortunate symptom of our economic system and with any luck the country remembers. I doubt it though, he caters for a market where disposable income isn't readily available and that will continue to be the case after this.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are some man for immediately finding and sharing something you agree with,but then taking days, weeks or even months to acknowledge contrary points ,even when people repeatedly show you articles stating these facts. Plus obviously you never find such articles or tweets yourself. 

Does your brain just refuse to see them or is it an active choice? 

Out of interest ,did you read the article? It sounds to me like the initial estimate was actually 500,000 dead. He basically admits mistakes were made in the article. 

I hope his new estimates are correct. 

The 'experts' have already admitted mistakes were made in the original modelling. Why do you need to bring it up in practically every single post you quote Chaddy on?

Chaddy didn't make the mistakes, the boffins down in the medial schools and universities of London did and they've admitted it, acted on it and our course changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/27/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-big-drop-air-pollution

Every cloud has a silver lining gents. With any luck businesses start to see the benefits of home working and how it can be achieved through technology. Had some great meetings with people over Microsoft Teams the past week or so that would have usually resulted in us travelling 50+ miles each way. Some things must be done face to face but certainly the need for the amount of travel we see in the mornings should be able to be reduced in coming years.

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/27/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-big-drop-air-pollution

Every cloud has a silver lining gents. With any luck businesses start to see the benefits of home working and how it can be achieved through technology. Had some great meetings with people over Microsoft Teams the past week or so that would have usually resulted in us travelling 50+ miles each way. Some things must be done face to face but certainly the need for the amount of travel we see in the mornings should be able to be reduced in coming years.

If there is one good thing to come out of this it will be a realisation at many companies that working from home is a genuinely viable option without a great deal needed in terms of investment beyond the initial period of potentially having to buy laptops, set up VPN networks, etc. It has big potential to significantly lighten traffic when restrictions are eventually lifted, have a solid impact on the world's carbon footprint and give workers a more flexible means of doing their jobs. 

We already had a WFH structure set up and had recently migrated to brand new laptops so I think my company was a little ahead of the curve in this regard, but there was still a bit of a stigma around working from home and people generally didn't like to ask to do so unless it was absolutely necessary. Hopefully the perception will have changed when this eventually blows over. 

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, my main client of seven years laid me off yesterday. I'm now on my fifth "What next?" as far as major events go over the last week!

If anybody is looking for any freelance web developer (I work from home in any case, so I'm all set up), or knows somebody that might be interested, just message me. Mods, feel free to hide if this isn't appropriate.

Edited by Yoogo

26 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

Unfortunately, my main client of seven years laid me off yesterday. I'm now on my fifth "What next?" as far as major events go over the last week!

If anybody is looking for any freelance web developer (I work from home in any case, so I'm all set up), or knows somebody that might be interested, just message me. Mods, feel free to hide if this isn't appropriate.

Seems pretty damn relevant to me.

This virus is going to take people's lives, but is also gonna take people's livelihoods. 

Good luck. If I hear of anything will let you know. 

The government have written to councils and charity's across the country asking them to house all rough sleepers, its just a pity it takes a pandemic to get action in this area, but its most welcome. 

Councils already do as much as they can for homeless people, but with budgets cut to the bone, the government need to fund it and quickly if they want it done by this weekend.

More labour policy coming into play, just saying...

52 minutes ago, DE. said:

If there is one good thing to come out of this it will be a realisation at many companies that working from home is a genuinely viable option without a great deal needed in terms of investment beyond the initial period of potentially having to buy laptops, set up VPN networks, etc. It has big potential to significantly lighten traffic when restrictions are eventually lifted, have a solid impact on the world's carbon footprint and give workers a more flexible means of doing their jobs. 

We already had a WFH structure set up and had recently migrated to brand new laptops so I think my company was a little ahead of the curve in this regard, but there was still a bit of a stigma around working from home and people generally didn't like to ask to do so unless it was absolutely necessary. Hopefully the perception will have changed when this eventually blows over. 

This working from home has been a huge boost to my daughter and son in laws company. Lots of firms suddenly needing systems set up means they have far more work than they normally do. They work from one half of their pair of semis anyway so not going out isn't a problem most of the time.

Anyone else had about 20 emails from the good Sam app this morning?

Seems it’s gone into meltdown with the number of applications 

Just now, gumboots said:

This working from home has been a huge boost to my daughter and son in laws company. Lots of firms suddenly needing systems set up means they have far more work than they normally do. They work from one half of their pair of semis anyway so not going out isn't a problem most of the time.

The main issue for larger companies is having a robust network capable of handling significant amounts of data. I imagine most companies with a WFH setup only envisaged between 5-10% of the workforce working from home on any given day. When that changes to 50%+ it can create a logistical headache and put a big strain on servers only designed to handle a certain amount of users. It's not necessarily a difficult problem to fix but will require some readjustment for many businesses. Once it's done though I think the benefits will quickly outweigh the growing pains. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The 'experts' have already admitted mistakes were made in the original modelling. Why do you need to bring it up in practically every single post you quote Chaddy on?

Chaddy didn't make the mistakes, the boffins down in the medial schools and universities of London did and they've admitted it, acted on it and our course changed.

Why does it brother you what I'm saying to Chaddy?

For the record it's because he refuses to acknowledge any mistakes were made. 

Daughters company provides IT services. Hence the extra work.

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anyone else had about 20 emails from the good Sam app this morning?

Seems it’s gone into meltdown with the number of applications 

Not me Tom. I had one yesterday from them saying that due to the high response it make take up to 7 days to check my ID, but that any volunteering wouldn't start util after 31/3.

9 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Not me Tom. I had one yesterday from them saying that due to the high response it make take up to 7 days to check my ID, but that any volunteering wouldn't start util after 31/3.

I got that then this morning a congratulations email, followed by 20 others and still coming!

Ive logged in to test but as you say it won’t start just yet 

26 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

God, I genuinely hope that doesn't take a turn for the worst. That would drive people really over the edge. On the flip side ,if he just shows mild symptoms people might get careless and under estimate it. 

Just been to Asda for the weekly shop and it was a very unpleasant experience.

The measures introduced of limited numbersi n the store and having to stand 2m apart led to huge queues right round the car park and turned what could have been a quick in and out into a few hours of a job. Asda had better hope the policy of standing 2m apart is not proven to be ineffective as the measures are ensuring that the maximum number of people are congregating together for the longest possible period of time.

Once inside it seems the wheel has turned full circle as the nasty unpleasant and inconsiderate behaviour seemed to be reserved to those who were being over anal about the regulations and complaining about people who had come within slightly less than 2m of them either unwittingly or because it wasn't physically possible to maintain that separation on occasion. Security and staff were barking at people who were generally trying to do their best but occasionally hadn't noticed  which markings tthey were meant to be stood behind as well.

What a nightmare this Country has become in less than seven days. The media and Government have completely brainwashed the population into a state of complete paranoia and madness.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The measures introduced of limited numbersi n the store and having to stand 2m apart led to huge queues right round the car park and turned what could have been a quick in and out into a few hours of a job. Asda had better hope the policy of standing 2m apart is not proven to be ineffective as the measures are ensuring that the maximum number of people are congregating together for the longest possible period of time.

Once inside it seems the wheel has turned full circle as the nasty unpleasant and inconsiderate behaviour seemed to be reserved to those who were being over anal about the regulations and complaining about people who had come within slightly less than 2m of them either unwittingly or because it wasn't physically possible to maintain that separation on occasion. Security and staff were barking at people who were generally trying to do their best but occasionally hadn't noticed  which markings tthey were meant to be stood behind as well.

What a nightmare this Country has become in less than seven days. The media and Government have completely brainwashed the population into a state of complete paranoia and madness.

Out of curiosity, what is the basis of your scepticism other than being contrarian? Virtually every country in the world is taking similar steps to this government. Is the scientific community wrong?

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

God, I genuinely hope that doesn't take a turn for the worst. That would drive people really over the edge. On the flip side ,if he just shows mild symptoms people might get careless and under estimate it. 

How come he didn’t just isolate as per his guidance , he got a test unlike most people who get mild symptoms 

no wonder there is so much suspicion

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I went to Aldi whitebirk at 8 am these things were in place but it was all very civilised if a little strange and the shop was plentiful 

I’ve always found Asda to be the main degenerates store on the best of days anyway 

I went to Aldi on Clitheroe and got all essentials. There were queues outside but staff were very pleasant and so were the people queueing. Only things I couldn't get were ordinary baked beans (they had no added sugar ones but I'm not desperate so didn't buy) and bread flour. Otherwise plenty of most things including nappies and toilet rolls.

Just now, gumboots said:

I went to Aldi on Clitheroe and got all essentials. There were queues outside but staff were very pleasant and so were the people queueing. Only things I couldn't get were ordinary baked beans (they had no added sugar ones but I'm not desperate so didn't buy) and bread flour. Otherwise plenty of most things including nappies and toilet rolls.

Long been a fan of Aldi . German you see . 
Going to nip to locals greengrocer and butcher tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Long been a fan of Aldi . German you see . 
Going to nip to locals greengrocer and butcher tomorrow 

Speaking of Aldi, this happened here earlier in the week. Plenty of this kind of stuff going on. Only going to get worse I'd say. Not sure if this clip shows him hitting the ground,but I saw the full video on whatsapp. He ain't walking that off 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-two-idiots-scale-aldi-21753989.amp