40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So does almost  without exception everyone else in reasonable health. Dont be so dramatic.

Just for clarification, I'm not certain if I've had it I'm assuming so as I was I'll with some identical symptoms. I am in the fortunate position of working as normal (for the time being at least) which unlike most people means I can at least get out of the house.

I come in close proximity with a variety of people including nurses who work at the hospital. If I haven't already had the virus then my chances of contracting t will be extremely high but I couldn't care less - unless I have an underlying health condition I am unaware of then the chances of it proving serious are extremely  low. 

All life involves risk. If you're in good health and aren't carrying on as normal them there's almost no point getting out of bed in the morning, you might walk over the door and get hit by a bus. If I was that incredibly unlucky to be part of the 1%or 2% (or is it more like 0.01% when people who've had it already are counted) for whom it proves fatal then so be it, my number was up. I might also get hit by lightning next time there's a storm. I wouldn't think any differently, you can't live your life ruled by fear based on a very small risk of something bad happening. It's all about risk assessment.

Didn’t know you hadn’t been feeling well Rev, I was commenting on you surviving your horrendous shopping trip. Hope you’re okay.

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What I have read after being sent it from best friend is certain a good theory about it being man made. I can understand why people believe it. 

Of COURSE you believe your best friend over people who study DNA and profile genomes for a living.

I can understand why people like to believe it's man made, but unfortunately it's not based on facts of any kind. Only on stereotypes.

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Of COURSE you believe your best friend over people who study DNA and profile genomes for a living.

I can understand why people like to believe it's man made, but unfortunately it's not based on facts of any kind. Only on stereotypes.

Firstly Mike, get off your high horse cos I didnt say I believe but can understand why people do. I'm not sure who or what to believe on the theories. 

Would it surprise me if the Chinese government was behind it and this is to crash the world enocomy and put China in a much better situation? Not at all. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Mike, get off your high horse cos I didnt say I believe but can understand why people do. I'm not sure who or what to believe on the theories. 

Would it surprise me if the Chinese government was behind it and this is to crash the world enocomy and put China in a much better situation? Not at all. 

If you're not sure who to believe, then believe the people who know what they're talking about. Believe scientists, particularly biologists. You won't find a single credible scientist that believes the virus is man made. That should be good enough.

This is one particular high horse I won't come down from, as I passionately hate conspiracy theories that rely on stereotypes and guesses instead of the actual evidence.

May I ask what your friend sent you so I can read it myself?

If the Chinese Government are behind the "development" of Covid-19, why did the Chinese scientists who sequenced the genome of the virus immediately send details out to other scientists everywhere?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, only2garners said:

If the Chinese Government are behind the "development" of Covid-19, why did the Chinese scientists who sequenced the genome of the virus immediately send details out to other scientists everywhere?

So that, even though it was going to devastate the world economy, the fact they release the genome wouldn't cast suspicion on them.

In fact, thats exactly why they dropped it next to their biological centre in Wuhan.

Trump won't get it because he's actually a martian.

Elvis's family are worried about him getting it though.

Edited by Hasta

Why has it taken a pandemic to finally take action on the homeless?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-councils-in-england-asked-to-house-all-rough-sleepers-by-the-weekend-11964380

And where has the £400bn plus thrown at the economy to date been during the "austerity" years?

So many questions for this government to answer when the crisis is over

Temporary mortuary to be built at Birmingham airport.

33 minutes ago, den said:

Temporary mortuary to be built at Birmingham airport.

Sadly we are already starting to see a sharp rise in deaths, which makes it all the more important for people to stay at home and not risk spreading the virus.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

If you're not sure who to believe, then believe the people who know what they're talking about. Believe scientists, particularly biologists. You won't find a single credible scientist that believes the virus is man made. That should be good enough.

This is one particular high horse I won't come down from, as I passionately hate conspiracy theories that rely on stereotypes and guesses instead of the actual evidence.

May I ask what your friend sent you so I can read it myself?

Like I said I can both sides of it. And I'm not saying my best friend believe it either. But I have seen other conspiracy theories out there. 

Yes you can. I will send it to but I ask you keep it to yourself 1st. 

Posted (edited)

Not sure if there are any other freelancers here, but I conduct my work through my own Limited Company, of which I'm the sole Director (as a one-man band). The government's self-employed support package does not include people like me, i.e. a Director. Most freelancers that I know of in my field are set up in the same way. I suppose we consider ourselves self-employed, but technically, we're not. I don't know any freelancers set up without a Limited Company to conduct their business through. Self-employed is basically referring to sole traders, i.e. people who carry out their work directly in their personal name (personally liable, etc.).

I've also received word from my accountant that the support package for employees might also not apply to me, with me being a Director (even though I obviously pay myself a salary). It's unclear if Directors will be allowed be classed as furloughed, given that they must exist to run a company, regardless of whether or not there is work.

There might be representations for workers like us at some point, but as things stand, there appears to be nothing in terms of financial support.

Edited by Yoogo

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, philipl said:

All credit to Johnson for walking the talk.

He called for herd immunity and went and caught it himself.

It could have been worse, it could have been somebody vital to the running of the nation.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said I can both sides of it. And I'm not saying my best friend believe it either. But I have seen other conspiracy theories out there. 

Yes you can. I will send it to but I ask you keep it to yourself 1st. 

Of course, I'm only asking out of interest in this instance :)

5 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

That's the biggest problem with this virus. The vast majority who do get it will be fine, but it's the odd one that isn't - and that odd one may get it from someone who has no idea that they have it. Medical staff are at a much higher risk, especially if they don't have the right gear.

Once it's all over there will be lots of stories on the high death rate, stated at around 1% at the moment. I reckon that is far too high as it doesn't count those who had it and never showed symptoms or those who had symptoms but were never tested (Chaddy is an example of this).

Agree with everything you say.

What I didn't really appreciate until reading a BBC article today is that risk of fatality does seem to increase with increased exposure which must be terrifying for medical staff.

26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Of course, I'm only asking out of interest in this instance :)

Sent via dm

5 hours ago, booth said:

I know someone who is extremely ill with COVID-19 symptoms, usually a healthy person with no underlying symptoms. He was taken to hospital by ambulance then sent home due to overcrowding, they didn't even have a blanket spare for him while he was waiting. He came home feeling worse. The only people who could care for him were his elderly parents who both have underlying health issues so they've had to stick him in the spare room.

So that's your elderly and vulnerable being isolated for you.

One person in that situation is not evidence that the elderly and vulnerable are not isolated on the whole.

Why dont you offer to look after him so that his more vulnerable and at risk parents are not put at the extra risk?

5 hours ago, den said:

Didn’t know you hadn’t been feeling well Rev, I was commenting on you surviving your horrendous shopping trip. Hope you’re okay.

Sorry den, was at cross purposes. If I have had it, it was no particularly big deal in the case of myself and my better half, worse than a cold but ike a moderately bad dose of flu.

58 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Damning really 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

FT on how the government has got it badly wrong - free to read

https://www.ft.com/content/fa747fbd-c19e-4bac-9c37-d46afc9393fb

Sadly true.

A few- Rory Stewart was one a few weks back- stuck their heads above the parapet and said we should lock down and received a barrage of the usual misinformed trollng nonsense - meanwhile those of us close to the frontline could see this happening and knew we should have locked down a month ago

Why didn't the public health advisors (or drain doctors as we used to call them) stand up and tell it as it was? The conspiracist might say there were other economic and political forces at work - and the result of this prevarication is now all too plain

if you think its bad now you have no idea what it is about to unfold.......

2 minutes ago, grinder said:

Why didn't the public health advisors (or drain doctors as we used to call them) stand up and tell it as it was? The conspiracist might say there were other economic and political forces at work - and the result of this prevarication is now all too plain

Johnson has the medical advisers talking to him one ear and big business and wealthy Tory donors in the other - guess which he listened to. 

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Johnson has the medical advisers talking to him one ear and big business and wealthy Tory donors in the other - guess which he listened to. 

Yup absolutely agree 

20 minutes ago, grinder said:

Yup absolutely agree 

Read today that Germany is doing 500,000 tests a week. We can barely manage 30,000. And then we wonder why Germany has had so fewer deaths. Johnson's getting an easy ride from his party's supporters in the media (as always) but there will be a reckoning for him politically unless the governments gets a grip  with the crisis very soon.