BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (A) - Match Thread

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for the view Parson.

I hope he isn't going to be viewed as a Jack of all trades utility man who can play anywhere as that is probably the best way to ensure he doesn't maximise his potential. I hope everyone including the player has a clear idea of his best position and sticks to it. So far we've had inside forward from Skip, left sided midfielder from Chaddy and attacking right back from you!

Even from Saturday I was surprised to hear post match he is viewed as an inside forward as during the game he seemed to be merely filling a hole on the left hand side of midfield and like most of the rest of the team I thought he was completely ineffective.

Rev, in his 3 appearances for the 1st team in leagues every one has been from the left wing. For the under 23's the games I mostly seen him play as been Right wing back

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks chaddy. I think that illustrates the point I'm making.

Just to add most of the u23's games I seen was under Johnson. So last season mainly. 

Seen a couple of under 23's games with Billy Barr. Been mainly 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation from what I've seen and read reports wise. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Think Johnson being with the U23s a while figured how to play to their strengths. Sure i read somewhere, maybe on here that now they are wanting to be more like the first team.  Can't really argue with that if they are trying to get an ethos through the whole club other than to say like the first team i can see some flailing around and falling away. Simply because they aren't being used in the position that best suits their ability at that point.

So the recruitment at that level just like the first team needs to start reflecting that ethos otherwise we'll have a club full of utility men.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks chaddy. I think that illustrates the point I'm making.

I agree Rev, he needs to make one position his own.  Travis was similar at this point - full-back and midfield for the Under-23's - before settling into a regular midfield berth in the first team.  Hopefully JRC is able to settle into a regular slot.

On 03/02/2020 at 11:54, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It never ceases to amaze me that you can get a person coming on here saying  X,Y or Z was awful on Saturday and another person coming on  saying they were excellent when they both watched exactly the same game. They can't both be right. I think sometimes people let their prejudices influence their opinions. I try and leave my blue and white glasses at home when I watch Rovers play. I also try not to let my prejudices, which we all have, influence how I rate a player.

I kind of like that about the game though! Not the prejudices but people seeing things differently and football chat is a lot about the debate. I guess there's an element to which people can view things differently - e.g a poor defensive performance but a good attacking one for example, on which do you focus, or a game where a player contributes nothing but an assist. But yeah, not letting prejudices kick in is also important.  Can't think of many players, even the worst ones, who haven't had at least one good game for Rovers.