BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (A) - Match Thread

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Still would only make the bench I think.

-----------------------Walton

Nyambe----Lenihan----Tosin-----Bell

----JRC-----Travis----Johnson----Downing

------------Gallagher----Armstrong

Subs : Leut, Williams, Bennett, Davenport,  Chapman, Brereton, Graham.

Though I do suspect we will still end up with Gallagher on the wing for some bizarre reason.

I wouldn't even bother with Leutweiller in goal/on the bench. For how often a keeper gets injured, teams would be better off having another outfield option on there - add to that, he's woeful.

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Superb goal but a poor performance.  I wish we had just one of the striking options of Boro. Someone strong, a nuisance in the air and direct.  

Happy with Armstrong up front. He has really step up to the plate since going up front. 

Decent performance by us for me. 

Thought Boro are improving under Woodgate 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

As others have said we can go 442 and have a full complement out there. In a way we are lucky we are having a spate of injuries in that area as we have so many players. If that was defence we be totally screwed.

All three are what I'd call "ball players", we have plenty of mid-fielders I agree, but not of the same type.

Fortuitous point based on those I've spoken with who went.

Hearing we'll be lucky to see Holtby before mid March.  If correct, huge blow given injuries to Dack and Rothwell.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Happy with Armstrong up front. He has really step up to the plate since going up front. 

Decent performance by us for me. 

Thought Boro are improving under Woodgate 

I'm happy with Armstrong too but I meant we don't have that powerful thorn in the side player that Boro have - and they had three.  Graham's time is up, Gallagher lacks testicles.  We were very fortunate to get a point today, Boro missed some sitters and Walton made some super saves. A point gained but also an opportunity  missed.

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Fortuitous point based on those I've spoken with who went.

Hearing we'll be lucky to see Holtby before mid March.  Huge blow given injuries to Dack and Rothwell.

He's never got going. Considering on the day he signed,  he was supposedly as fit as the players here; he's not lasted 90mins has he? Certainly direct and good in moments though.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Masterclass in naive defending by Nyambe for their goal.

pic 1: ideal position: can see the ball and his man

pic 2: Makes unilateral decision to push out for a non-existent offside trap

pic 3: Out of position and in his heels as the shot comes in

pic 4: Spectator

6596E343-2287-40BF-8E27-37F3703EF9CA.jpeg

17F67E52-B205-4855-81C1-3CEF910B752F.jpeg

513FFEEE-D80E-4C98-AB4B-37CAE44117F0.jpeg

214A72D0-C212-4C9A-9494-E3297B54A1C8.jpeg

I'd say Gallagher is at fault too as he can see the guy(frame 2). He's behind nyambe so nyambe should take the man in front and Gallagher  the man he can see. No communication between both.

Edited by Sparks Rover

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'm happy with Armstrong too but I meant we don't have that powerful thorn in the side player that Boro have - and they had three.  Graham's time is up, Gallagher lacks testicles.  We were very fortunate to get a point today, Boro missed some sitters and Walton made some super saves. A point gained but also an opportunity  missed.

Walton did make some great saves. 

Yes we need a new target man type in summer. Who? No idea currently

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No idea Chaddy. We don't seem like we have the ability or willingness to pay the going rate.  Every time we line up though, we appear physically weaker than the opposition. It isn't everything but we have been outmuscled in a lot of games - so we need that other option from somewhere.

34 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd say Gallagher is at fault too as he can see the guy(frame 2). He's behind nyambe so nyambe should take the man in front and Gallagher  the man he can see. No communication between both.

We let them walk up to our box.  First bit of defending was a hopeful lunge.  It was infuriating and I've lost count of how many times we've done that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Holtby, Dack and Rothwell all out at the same time. That is terrible luck. Run out of cover there I think.

Yes it is far from ideal. However Holtby who I really rate as a talented player is however a sicknote and its no surprise he is injured. I don't think that's luck so much as par for the course. The bad luck is Dack's injury. The Rothwell type ones you are always going to pick up over a season but to get such a serious injury to your talisman is a huge blow and very unfortunate. Cunningham likewise was stunningly bad luck as he looked to improve us defensively. Losing him for the season too is a kicker. Heck 2 season ending injuries in one season is horrendous but for them to be to arguably the two most iriplacable players is very bad fortune. TM has made a raft of mistakes but on this can be counted as unfortunate. 

That said we have had Lenihen for more games than I thought we would and having no cover in defence but few longer term injuries (bar Cunningham) has also been a bonus. Having only 3 centre backs for the first half of the season and one of them covering left back too - we got away with that one. So swings and roundabouts albeit with a negative slanting towards the unfortunate and costly with the 2 long term injuries. 

Just got in from a night out in Middlesbrough. Fortunately it was a lot better than the game.

Terrible game between two poor sides. We actually took the lead through an excellent goal from Travis against the run of play at that point and it was the first effort I could recall feom us being on target.

After that Boro were so bad I thought we were nailed on for the win until Wally Walton gifted them a goal by pushing a tame shot straight back out into the six yard box.

Following that we were lucky not to lose as Gestede in particular put a header wide from point blank range when it was easier to score.

The result and performance merely highlighted for me we're going  nowhere and never will do with Mowbray in charge.

?
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Deserved a point. Played well in parts of the game. Boro very decent at home. 

Enjoyed Travis Goal and he needs to be allow to get forward alot more. 

Travis man of the match for me. Thought Rankin Costello did well and should start the next game. Alot to come from him. 

I agree with all of that.

I watched the game with the Boro commentary. They were saying in the first half that Mowbray was focused on JRC and constantly telling him to work harder and trackback.

Travis is good to watch, he does look up for a fight and we've needed that in midfield.

I do think that JRC will develop well which will be good for us wherever his career takes him.

I enjoyed that game.

Oh and Walton was quite decent, so was Gallagher.

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

Superb goal but a poor performance.  I wish we had just one of the striking options of Boro. Someone strong, a nuisance in the air and direct.  

All these striking options yet we've scored like 13 more goals than them this season...

• Like 8

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can’t see them going for another target man Chaddy. It’s not the direction they are talking about.

Interesting that Armstrong is doing well up top for us now. It’s the biggest indicator yet that the transition from that direct ball into Graham to a more progressive style. Not a chance Armstrong could’ve played up top for us 12 months ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I can’t see them going for another target man Chaddy. It’s not the direction they are talking about.

Interesting that Armstrong is doing well up top for us now. It’s the biggest indicator yet that the transition from that direct ball into Graham to a more progressive style. Not a chance Armstrong could’ve played up top for us 12 months ago.

Still maintain that the sole reason this style is possible is Tosin.  Once he returns to City, we're back to square one.  We've nobody on our books that can play out.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What direction are they talking about then?

Being linked with strikers they have no intention of genuinely bidding for?

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Still maintain that the sole reason this style is possible is Tosin.  Once he returns to City, we're back to square one.  We've nobody on our books that can play out.

That’s a great point and I agree that it’s his passing through the lines from the back which instigates a lot of our play. But make no bones about it, the choice of Tosin was because they want to play like that. It was deliberate. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I like Armstrong up front. Suggested it before. 

Need a Striker in the summer. Who or what type of striker we go For I dont know

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

What direction are they talking about then?

Being linked with strikers they have no intention of genuinely bidding for?

They spoke a lot about being more progressive and less reliant on the Long diagonals upto Graham and knock downs to Dack.

I was just pointing out that something must’ve changed in our way of playing for Arma to be excelling up top because there’s no way he could’ve played that role previously.

Having said that, signing technical players like Tosin, Downing and Holtby have helped towards that.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Armstrong up front. Suggested it before. 

Need a Striker in the summer. Who or what type of striker we go For I dont know

I’d just go for another option Chaddy. Maybe more of a facilitator / assist player like Firminio. Someone who brings others into the game

• Like 1