BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (A) - Match Thread

With Rothell out it is up to Costello to save our season, ready or not the call has come and he must step up and make a footballer of himself.

But if TM plays Bennett or Brereton instead then all hope is lost burried and dead.

I am so angry and so sick of every timr we get some momentum and an important player gets injured.

Need a win here if we are serious. This lot are tough to beat at home but are in the position they are for a reason.

They are unlikely to go down but it is still a possibility, as we are unlikely to go up but it is still a possibility.

I reckon 0-0 or 1-1. Go behind and we will struggle big time.

• Like 1

Both teams hit by injuries to key players.

I would do something far out eccentric for the hell of it. 

Downing on the wing and Johnson in centre midfield.

There I have done it now- players playing in their best positions...

Beginning to run out of games to make up the points and GD on clubs above us so have to go for the win.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Bell

Travis Downing

Bennett  Holtby  Rankin Costello

Armstrong

I think there's a decent chance it will be more like

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Bell

Travis    Johnson

Gallagher     Holtby    Downing

Armstrong

Mowbrays wedded to the ideal of Gallagher on the wing. Can't see him changing it.

And as bad as it is, it is still better than Bennett back in the team. We absolutely fell apart when Benno came on against QPR.

I will be making my way down for this one . I expect a quite evenly contested dull hard fought match with a draw or 1-0 either way. We need to get three points if we are serious about the playoffs . I don’t think we will get anywhere near but now is the time to prove me wrong

COYB

Edited by Oldgregg86

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I will be making my way down for this one . I expect a quite evenly contested dull hard fought match with a draw or 1-0 either way. We need to get three points if we are serious about the playoffs . I don’t think we will get anywhere near but now is the time to prove me wrong

COYB

Won't be far wrong, they struggle to score many goals, only 15 at home this season.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You'd choose Bennett on the wing? Was it his exhilarating performance on Tuesday that clinched it?

Yes. He is wide midfielder so lets play there. Want Rankin Costello on left. 

Armstrong is playing as the 9. Something you were against if my memory is correct when I suggested it. Producing the goals and assists. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

bennett is f****d,he could barely walk let alone run on tuesday night,mowbray quoted during the christmas games his achilles is giving him problems,if he was fit he`d be a regular starter,you know mowbray and him have some massive bromance going on,tony can`t be away from him,hence he still gets a place on the bench at the side of his svengali,extremely unprofessional imo,picking an injured player who`s operating at 25% just because you like him

• Like 2

Stats point to a 1-1 here folks. Not an absolute disaster by any means really but not much use if we're serious about any top 6 ambitions 

I really hope he does unleash JRC after bigging him up so much recently, I do however find it had to imagine sadly...

I'm going up to this one, not because I thought there'd be anything riding on the game when I booked the trip but because I have a couple of friends from Middlesbrough I met on holiday a couple of years ago and I was originally more going up for the night out and take in the game as an incidental.

Little bit more riding on it now after the two wins. Hope we deliver unlike the corresponding fixture last year when Boro had a man sent off mid way through the first half and we went 1-0 up from the resulting free kick but still only came away with a draw despite playing ten men for over an hour.

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They do love him at Boro 

Yep I can confirm this, he's got 'legend' status up there. They do speak very highly of Downing, and in fact the other old boys really too.

Depending on the lineup is well worth a flutter on Downing first goal, or Graham, or both! Smallwood might be pushing it a bit.

• Like 1

Benno has played about 20 minutes as a right midfielder this season and that was away at Stoke... where he assisted the winner in the 80 something minute to Sam Gallagher. He's not great, but if there's a debate about his "best position" is most definitely isn't RB or CM, it's on the wing. Scored at Sheffield Wednesday last year as well when he played on the wing.

I'd sooner see Bennett on the wing than Gallagher

Under normal circumstances, with their upturn in form and our injuries, a draw would be a decent result here.

But we need 10 wins, so this is one we really should be going for. I'd be tempted to temporarily revert to our Bristol City approach with Gally and Armstrong up top, Johnson in the middle with Travis and Downing on the wing.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Under normal circumstances, with their upturn in form and our injuries, a draw would be a decent result here.

But we need 10 wins, so this is one we really should be going for. I'd be tempted to temporarily revert to our Bristol City approach with Gally and Armstrong up top, Johnson in the middle with Travis and Downing on the wing.

Armstrong didn't start against Bristol City did he? I thought it was Gally and Breo?