BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Can we make the Playoffs?

• Backroom

The better news is the goal difference would be about equal if we did pull those 6 points back so we’ve helped ourselves there recently 

Quietly do the job and hope to be the team that sneaks in at the end 

The reality is that enough teams above us are going to be picking up points at a reasonable rate so we would need about another four or five wins on the bounce to actually get into the play off positions and I can't see that happening.

Keeps Tony in a job though. "We're only (insert figure between 3 and 8 points)  behind the play off positions" sounds a lot better than "We haven't occupied either the automatic promotion slots or play off places at any point this season."

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

I laughed when people referred to us being only 3 points out of the play-offs! If the fixtures had been reversed and we'd played on a Wednesday and the others played on Tuesday we'd have been 9 points behind! At that point do we say "its impossible"?!

We're back at our usual 6 points and that's where we've been just about all season. 

• Like 1

Reasons why it may be possible: 

- It's a crap inconsistent league. 

- We are capable of putting good runs together. 

- We're only 6 points off, is not insurmountable. 

- With fewer options the tombola in team selection and tactics occurs less, which generally improves our play. 

Reasons why we won't: 

- We're capable of putting on really bad runs. 

- 6 points is still a fair bit to make up, we're not actually in the playoffs and haven't been yet. 

- There are a fair number of teams above us, It's not like we are the only ones chasing the top 6. 

- Our squad is almost at breaking point - another injury or suspension and we really start to struggle. 

- Can we win the games we should? Over the years there's been a ton of winnable games we have struggled with, this needs to change.  

- Do we cope well with pressure - I don't think we do.  From Bowyer's play off attempts to chasing for the League 1 title, Rovers aren't great under pressure

- Players played regularly out of position and other tinkering attempts will most likely happen. . 

My gut reaction is no. Whilst it's not a fantasy to think we could do it, there's a number of external factors (the number of clubs above us) and internal ones (would the side be doing better with an actual right mid in the team for example) that make me think we will fall just short. Given our injuries just short isn't a bad return, but it is another get out of jail free season for TM. I'd love to be wrong on this but can't see it happening. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I laughed when people referred to us being only 3 points out of the play-offs! If the fixtures had been reversed and we'd played on a Wednesday and the others played on Tuesday we'd have been 9 points behind! At that point do we say "its impossible"?!

We're back at our usual 6 points and that's where we've been just about all season. 

Ya, good season to be fair. Would you have taken that at the beginning? Going off your prediction for where we would finish, I suspect you would? 

image.thumb.png.ce5927645bc40bd775992ca347cbb331.png

Leeds have an easy run in, expect the top 2 to remain the same as now.

Fulham have a horrible run, with Parker as manager I can easily see them slip out of the top 6 which would be a disaster with a squad and budget like they have.

Rovers beat Brentford and they're in the top 6 (albeit for maybe 2 hours!)

• Like 2

Interesting stuff. 

My take on it is managers are worth a lot in this division, moreso than perhaps in other leagues. Hopefully that'll be Fulham's downfall although player quality could well see them safely in. 

Manager wise Millwall have a smart cookie in Rowett and that could make them good for the playoffs. My dark horses for them as he has got them playing very well. 

Sheff Weds have imploded which only can help our chances and Brentford are a good team whose disappointing results seem to be draws so think they are definitely in. Forest and Bristol are spectacularly inconsistent, especially the latter. Of the 2 I expect Forest to grab playoffs being marginally more consistent and getting a good result Vs West Brom suggests they've a fair bit about them.

Preston I don't know whether to admire for getting where they are on a budget or loath their cheating. They strike me as a rock paper scissors kind of team. One tactic that either works or it doesn't. Think most teams would like to face them in the playoffs because it's obvious what they'll do and is perhaps.easoer to prepare. Cardiff - Harris hasn't done amazingly as a manager so think will miss out. 

Think it's still a huge ask especially with so many injuries and little room for error. But I do think there may be room to start dreaming. As others have said this is a poor league and the perfect opportunity. Here's hoping we seize it. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 3

Unreal the position we’re in considering the list injuries we have. Mowbray has been forced to stop mixing the team up though because of it, so maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. Next week’s the big one. If we win, I’ll start getting excited. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, superniko said:

image.thumb.png.ce5927645bc40bd775992ca347cbb331.png

Leeds have an easy run in, expect the top 2 to remain the same as now.

Fulham have a horrible run, with Parker as manager I can easily see them slip out of the top 6 which would be a disaster with a squad and budget like they have.

Rovers beat Brentford and they're in the top 6 (albeit for maybe 2 hours!)

Nice Visual,

interesting for myself based on league positions our harder games are at home our easier ones are Away.

When the confidence is high that's a good think, but if that suddenly disappears it makes for a horrible run!

5 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

See I’m not a betting man . I was just talking a flat 50  would be nice if it was for mind but equally he can enjoy it too , and I don’t want to assume his means , it could be less , it could be 50p , is only for fun 

Nothing fun about taking even money on a 5/1 shot. Nice try having his pants down though. 

Just now, superniko said:

Nothing fun about taking even money on a 5/1 shot. Nice try having his pants down though. 

Oh I see what you mean , genuinely went over my head as I don’t bet much  . I was just offering to bet an amount of Money as he was so confident and I’m so pessimistic . Ok I’ll put on the table 5x What he does as you are the arbiter of what is fair to your guy . How big shall we go ?

20 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

See I’m not a betting man . I was just talking a flat 50  would be nice if it was for mind but equally he can enjoy it too , and I don’t want to assume his means , it could be less , it could be 50p , is only for fun 

I don't think betting against your own team is fun, but whatever you're into. 

People won’t like this — and this will probably end up on Twitter — but I just can’t see us finishing in the top 6. Last year we fell apart at Brentford, I suspect it will be a case of ‘same again’. At no point this season have we comfortably held a spot in the top 6. I’ll start believing when we are holding on to a top six position and fighting for it. 
I hope I’m wrong! 

As a side point, Mowbray is doing very well to keep the team getting results during such an injury crisis.