Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J*B

Supporters Consultation Meeting

Recommended Posts

Let's be honest we were pretty similar before this glut of injuries so we aren't not in the top 6 because of injuries.

It does however severely hamper any outside chance we had and we wouldn't know until about April how it was panning out anyway with a full squad.  Best aim for 10th place ish now and all things considered that wouldn't be a bad finish.  The lack of doing anything at all in this window ( i don't buy the sob stories )  has virtually thrown the towel in on any real ambitions this season.

Poor but not surprising so the interest now is seeing how they make the best of what we have and how he uses the kids. I don't want to see it petering out pandering to senior pros who shouldn't be here next season.

Plan for the future now - without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't matter. Being there at the end of the season is all that matters. 

Well now realistically it's very difficult due to injuries. We can all spout on about signings,but you tell me how we replace Dack and Holtby with 1.3 million. 

The moaners say we aren't progressing, then when it's pointed out that we have in many ways, they then say "well we aren't in the play offs". I just wonder if we did get into the play off places,  would it then change to "well if it wasn't for Mowbray ,we would be top 2" 

Its a bit of a logic leap to suggest that if we did achieve our aims and expectations of a top 6 finish, something that has correctly been pointed out as being incredibly unlikely as weve never been in the top 6 at any point, that people would just dismiss that by creating new expectations. There is no need to create theories up to back up a "moaners" based hypothesis that you have.

For what its worth, it depends what you use as the barometer to gauge progression. Compared to this time last year, we are in exactly the same position so no progression. Conversely, we finished 15th and are currently 10th, so whilst we dont have a full season of evidence to accurately compare against, we have progressed.

I think we definitely have progressed this season on the assumption that both squads were fit and healthy. The problem people keep flagging up is that the main upgrades ie Downing and Adarabioyo are temporary additions and if we assume that it is highly unlikely that we will have a sniff of promotion this year, then comparing summer to summer we have not really moved forward in terms of progressing slowly and incrementally towards the top 6 if it is done in such a way. Mowbray chose to spend his transfer budget solely on one player who has been a failure and not added to the potency of our attack. He also gave the green light to sell a young and flawed but talented goalkeeper but he did sign a talented player in Holtby who we have for another year. 

The signings targeted were mainly in the wide areas so were never direct replacements for Dack and the at the time fit and healthy Holtby. The wide areas have been an achilles heel throughout Mowbrays time in charge and we needed to strengthen there to add additional sources of goals with or without those players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't matter. Being there at the end of the season is all that matters. 

Well now realistically it's very difficult due to injuries. We can all spout on about signings,but you tell me how we replace Dack and Holtby with 1.3 million. 

The moaners say we aren't progressing, then when it's pointed out that we have in many ways, they then say "well we aren't in the play offs". I just wonder if we did get into the play off places,  would it then change to "well if it wasn't for Mowbray ,we would be top 2" 

“The moaners” would point to examples like the following:

- “Defenders are coming”

- “We can’t expect to buy a whole new defence”

- “Buying a keeper and defenders is a priority in the Summer”

But this contradiction seems to be conveniently forgotten in favour of supporter bashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray said top 6 was the aim. So if we don’t reach the top 6, then he’s not met his own expectations, wouldn’t that be fair to say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

“The moaners” would point to examples like the following:

- “Defenders are coming”

- “We can’t expect to buy a whole new defence”

- “Buying a keeper and defenders is a priority in the Summer”

But this contradiction seems to be conveniently forgotten in favour of supporter bashing.

"Supporter bashing" Stuart, please stop. You are too sensitive about this type of thing. 

People are having conversations 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a bit of a logic leap to suggest that if we did achieve our aims and expectations of a top 6 finish, something that has correctly been pointed out as being incredibly unlikely as weve never been in the top 6 at any point, that people would just dismiss that by creating new expectations. There is no need to create theories up to back up a "moaners" based hypothesis that you have.

For what its worth, it depends what you use as the barometer to gauge progression. Compared to this time last year, we are in exactly the same position so no progression. Conversely, we finished 15th and are currently 10th, so whilst we dont have a full season of evidence to accurately compare against, we have progressed.

I think we definitely have progressed this season on the assumption that both squads were fit and healthy. The problem people keep flagging up is that the main upgrades ie Downing and Adarabioyo are temporary additions and if we assume that it is highly unlikely that we will have a sniff of promotion this year, then comparing summer to summer we have not really moved forward in terms of progressing slowly and incrementally towards the top 6 if it is done in such a way. Mowbray chose to spend his transfer budget solely on one player who has been a failure and not added to the potency of our attack. He also gave the green light to sell a young and flawed but talented goalkeeper but he did sign a talented player in Holtby who we have for another year. 

The signings targeted were mainly in the wide areas so were never direct replacements for Dack and the at the time fit and healthy Holtby. The wide areas have been an achilles heel throughout Mowbrays time in charge and we needed to strengthen there to add additional sources of goals with or without those players.

It's not a leap. It's my opinion ,which I am entitled to. 

As for the rest, I think it's been discussed to death. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Mowbray said top 6 was the aim. So if we don’t reach the top 6, then he’s not met his own expectations, wouldn’t that be fair to say?

Do you think he should be sacked if we come 7th? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Mowbray said top 6 was the aim. So if we don’t reach the top 6, then he’s not met his own expectations, wouldn’t that be fair to say?

No it wouldn't be fair because an aim is not the same as an expectation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No it wouldn't be fair because an aim is not the same as an expectation.

An aim creates an expectation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you think he should be sacked if we come 7th? 

I think he should be sacked if we come 10th

or if we come 7th but 20 points adrift.

Measure is showing progression and challenging for the top 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Mowbray said top 6 was the aim. So if we don’t reach the top 6, then he’s not met his own expectations, wouldn’t that be fair to say?

I’m of the belief Tony’s time is up, although I think he’s been a great manager for us. I mostly think time is up because I think all managers have a limited window to be successful in, whether that be Tony Mowbray or Jose Mourinho. If you study the data this cannot be argued for all modern day managers apart from Ferguson who bucked that trend. 
However, if we finish 9th and say 10 points off the top 6, I do think Tony could argue he would have got the top 6 with Dack, Cunningham and Holtby if there weren’t injured. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

An aim creates an expectation

Yes,but both are just measures. 

Have you ever done a performance review where you work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What concerns me about the transfer policy of 'buying young players that are going to be great in 2 years' is that what players are going to be attracted to this?

Someone smashing it in League One or abroad is not going to be jumping at the chance to play for our U23s for 2 years. 

That has maybe shown in not being able to sign anyone.

They only have to look at Chapman, Brereton, Davenport, Rothwell etc to realise it won't do their career any favours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes,but both are just measures. 

Have you ever done a performance review where you work? 

Yep, if you keep aiming for things and not achieving that aim is that failure? 

I'd probably not be very highly rated at work if I kept aiming and not achieving.

Got the top rating in my performance review fyi as I hit all my aims for 2019.

Edited by RoversClitheroe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’m of the belief Tony’s time is up, although I think he’s been a great manager for us. I mostly think time is up because I think all managers have a limited window to be successful in, whether that be Tony Mowbray or Jose Mourinho. If you study the data this cannot be argued for all modern day managers apart from Ferguson who bucked that trend. 
However, if we finish 9th and say 10 points off the top 6, I do think Tony could argue he would have got the top 6 with Dack, Cunningham and Holtby if there weren’t injured. 

Spot on, he'd have a fair argument but most of us realise that wouldn't have been the case if it comes to that.

There's something missing about this regime that will continue to hold us back even when in good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Yep, if you keep aiming for things and not achieving that aim is that failure? 

I'd probably not be very highly rated at work if I kept aiming and not achieving.

Got the top rating in my performance review fyi as I hit all my aims for 2019.

Nothing wrong with failure, as long as you learn. If we frightened people of failure, they would never try. I don't like the word in a performance review context,of which I do many with staff. 

I am sure you have different categories, some people don't achieve their goals /hit the KPIS in everything. You need to look at it as an overall. I don't think anyone would or should be fired for failing to achieve one of their goals,if they are achieving or exceeding even in other areas. 

Well done. You must have a nice manager. I don't think it's good to max out. Hence why on my team we always have stretch goals, which are hard to hit. I would say us getting into the play offs would be a stretch goal, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

"Supporter bashing" Stuart, please stop. You are too sensitive about this type of thing. 

People are having conversations 

Adults apparently.

You do have a pop at supporters an awful lot though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’m of the belief Tony’s time is up, although I think he’s been a great manager for us. I mostly think time is up because I think all managers have a limited window to be successful in, whether that be Tony Mowbray or Jose Mourinho. If you study the data this cannot be argued for all modern day managers apart from Ferguson who bucked that trend. 
However, if we finish 9th and say 10 points off the top 6, I do think Tony could argue he would have got the top 6 with Dack, Cunningham and Holtby if there weren’t injured. 

Whilst I agree with what you’re saying, I think we would have bottled it, had we been close anyhow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What people are failing to understand is that promotion is not just something "nice to aim for" but a life or death situation for the club. What happened to Bolton is nailed on to happen to us, whether in a season or two or the not so distant future. Either we fight and put pressure on the club to improve, or we watch it die. This season the chance is gone, and will be lucky to get another proper chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't matter. Being there at the end of the season is all that matters. 

Well now realistically it's very difficult due to injuries. We can all spout on about signings,but you tell me how we replace Dack and Holtby with 1.3 million. 

The moaners say we aren't progressing, then when it's pointed out that we have in many ways, they then say "well we aren't in the play offs". I just wonder if we did get into the play off places,  would it then change to "well if it wasn't for Mowbray ,we would be top 2" 

They cost less than that when they were signed so it can be done. In my opinion there'll be nobody happier than TM with our injury and FFP situation - he gets a free pass until next season now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J*B said:

However, if we finish 9th and say 10 points off the top 6, I do think Tony could argue he would have got the top 6 with Dack, Cunningham and Holtby if there weren’t injured. 

Tbf we were never in the top six once even when these players were available so I think that would be a weak argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Adults apparently.

You do have a pop at supporters an awful lot though.

Yes Stuart,we are all supporters here. Sometimes I disagree with others. 

You disagree with people on here plenty too. Are you having a pop at them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

What people are failing to understand is that promotion is not just something "nice to aim for" but a life or death situation for the club. What happened to Bolton is nailed on to happen to us, whether in a season or two or the not so distant future. Either we fight and put pressure on the club to improve, or we watch it die. This season the chance is gone, and will be lucky to get another proper chance. 

Absolutely.

I am convinced there are still supporters who are oblivious to our perilous situation.The future of the Club is on a knife edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Mowbray said top 6 was the aim. So if we don’t reach the top 6, then he’s not met his own expectations, wouldn’t that be fair to say?

Hi James, you’re clearly reading this and I see you’ve made me twitter famous without my permission. 
I don’t do twitter, so I can’t reply on there, but I don’t allow you my permission to post my content, so delete the post and we can leave it there. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes Stuart,we are all supporters here. Sometimes I disagree with others. 

You disagree with people on here plenty too. Are you having a pop at them? 

Disagreeing while sticking to the debate topic.

“The adults are talking“ amongst other barbs crosses that line and you certainly don’t like it when anyone points out that you don’t attend matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.