BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

Very sad to see and watching the clip left a lump in my throat.

Tony is very much a Blackburn Rovers legend and a benefit of some description would be overdue and give us as supporters an opportunity to demonstrate our support to Tony and his family.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Horrible news. We are in the throes of family issues surrounding a very close relative who's suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and it's truly awful how someone so bright & bubbly can become so detached & dependant in such a short space of time. Getting help for her and for us as carers is a minefield.

I hope Tony & his family can draw some positives from the love, support & good wishes from the Rovers & football families. 

It was in 2008 with my dad sadly there was next to nothing out there and that was when funding was allegedly better than its been for the last 10 years. Luckily we had a hands on family with some experience.

Hope you get sorted.

• Like 1

That was a really tough watch. My friends grandfather has Alzheimers and I have seen the strain it has put on their family. 

Something needs to be done and quickly to not only honour this man but also to provide some support for the family. 

4 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

My Dad is going through a similar thing, albeit in his early eighties, and it's so sad to see ... Tony should be so proud of his daughter !

Watching things like this puts all the " silliness " around local rivalries in it's true perspective. All Clubs have their legends and favorite sons, and Tony Parkes truly is one of Blackburn Rover's finest. The " Up the Clarets " board has a post about Tony this morning, and there's much best wishes and sympathy being expressed, to which I should like to add my own.

Good luck, fella ! 

The guys on your forum have been class - so, much respect for that. Rivalries, banter, and the like will always go on but it shows that we are all a football family when stuff like this happens. 

Still want you to go down though ;) 

• Like 4

My dad has parkinsons disease.  A few months ago he got pneumonia and a tumour in his stomach which meant he couldn't take his oral medication.  He didnt recognise anyone some times. Those were a hard few months trying to get him better. Thankfully hes on the road to recovery.  Seeing your parents like that is very hard. Hope tony has a good quality of life 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

My Dad is going through a similar thing, albeit in his early eighties, and it's so sad to see ... Tony should be so proud of his daughter !

Watching things like this puts all the " silliness " around local rivalries in it's true perspective. All Clubs have their legends and favorite sons, and Tony Parkes truly is one of Blackburn Rover's finest. The " Up the Clarets " board has a post about Tony this morning, and there's much best wishes and sympathy being expressed, to which I should like to add my own.

Good luck, fella ! 

A claret Legend and very good friend of mine Brian Pilkington, was diagnosed with this, quite some ago. He now requires care and lives in a care home as a result. I had a message from one of his family members earlier today, to say he is very ill right now. 

As you rightly say, it puts the silliness around local rivalries into perspective and shows how precious life is and how an illness like this, can strike anyone. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

The guys on your forum have been class - so, much respect for that. Rivalries, banter, and the like will always go on but it shows that we are all a football family when stuff like this happens. 

Still want you to go down though ;) 

I liked Billy Connolly's quote on Football rivalry, " We've all got the virus, but we've just got a different strain of it ! "

But, and I'm sure you'll appreciate this, come on Fulham ! ?

• Like 3

Wow, that was a really tough watch! Not sure what else I can add to what hasn't been said already. Thoughts with Natalie and the rest of the family. 

Just looked and it's almost 12mths to the day I posted about Tony being the most deserved person I could think of to get a place in the hall of fame. 

All the best Tony, you enjoy those walks pal!

• Like 3

Very upsetting. So sad to see Tony like that. Must be so difficult for his family but also very difficult for him to hear that he is not the same person.

I imagine it’s everyone’s worst fear: losing their faculties.

A stark reminder that when all’s said and done, it really is only a game.

Heartbreaking.

• Like 5

But I think today has shown how it very much IS ‘more than a game’. 

You are part of a community when you support a football club, especially when you see a legend, who lives locally too, suffering and how much goodwill and willingness to help there is.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But I think today has shown how it very much IS ‘more than a game’. 

You are part of a community when you support a football club, especially when you see a legend, who lives locally too, suffering and how much goodwill and willingness to help there is.

Let’s not Matty

Sorry? 

I’ve been proud to be a Rovers (and football) fan today. I can only imagine the pride his family has felt.

The Lenny Johnrose work for MND and the Gary Parkinson foundation are other examples of the game coming together.

There’s a world of difference between the famous (and OTT) quote of Shankly which obviously isn’t the case and the view that football is still a community.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

i met tony at some awards night at the hordens in feniscowles years ago,i know it sounds cliched but you really could`nt meet a nicer fellow,he took time to speak to everyone there,i really hope the club recognises what he and family are going through,maybe donate a % of the gate receipts for research on this horrible condition

• Like 1

Very sad seeing the video clip with his daughter this morning. Brought back memories as my mother in law had to endure several years of this horrible condition a few years back. 

Tony really was a genuine and very nice bloke as well as being a stalwart on the pitch in his earlier years. He was regularly seen down at Brockhall when I used to watch the youth teams in the mid 90s. Always had time to chat to the fans with a story or two. 

Best of luck with your fight Tony.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My thoughts and feelings are with Tony Parkes and his family at this time. A true Rovers legend

Gut wrenching it really is.  Amazing lady too, you can see the love in her when she looks at him.  Good luck Tony.  Enjoy them walks.