BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

This guy is pure class. Was treated so shoddily by Hughes and the Tafia after all he'd done for the club. Something that I never forget. Him leading the team out at Cardiff was a great gesture by Souey which spoke volumes for him and how highly he thought of Tony Parkes. A true Rovers legend who deserves a club honour. The renaming of the stand is a great shout. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

Heart breaking stuff, got to be honest dementia and Alzheimer’s terrify me, what a horribly cruel disease for anyone to have to deal with and their families 

Tony Parkes is a legend at this club.

I remember back in 1990 or so before the ground was done up we used to go in the restaurant / bar type area, I think it was somewhere between the Nuttall street stand and Blackburn end, my sister had a birthday party in there and some of the players (Lee Makel and co) were in there along with Tony Parkes and Ray Harford, they both made a real effort to make us feel welcome and celebrate her birthday. Genuinely a good man.

We are pulling for you Tony 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Really horrible news.

Alzheimer's society was my companies charity for last year, so we had a few talks about it and we were shown how it impacts on peoples lives. Devastating stuff for the sufferer and their families.

He's lucky to have a daughter like that, she seems to be there for him and hes going to need that support as time goes on.

Absolutely awful for Tony and his family.

I remember Tony joining Rovers from Buxton some 50 years ago.  As a player, coach and manager he gave everything for Rovers.  A true, true stalwart.

Over the years, would often pass Tony in the car whilst he enjoyed his almost daily walks, listening to his music as he strode along so purposefully.

A really nice, genuine guy and you can only wish Tony and his family the very best as they try to come to terms with a dreadful illness.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

I don't really see much point for the petition other than "backslapping self credit". The club don't do many decent things but the Clayton/Douglas ends are there so why would be any objection to Parkes. Sometimes all people need to do is ask or bring it up at the fans forum.

Heart breaking videos. Such a horrible disease. A fantastic club man in all his roles, he must be very proud of how his daughter has turned out and that he will have a caring family around him at this time.

When I was a mascot in the mid 70's and pre game going into the changing rooms , I got a bollocking off Tony Parkes because my boots were not clean enough and a lecture on how to take care of them, always did after that :)  .

• Like 8

Just thinking about Parkes the footballer and wondering if someone can confirm a memory here?? Back in the mid 70s -1976 I think it was, we beat Luton 3-0 at Ewood the 3rd goal being one of the best Ive ever seen -scored by Ken Beamish (of all people) following a brilliant move starting in our own box

I seem to recall Parkes volleying one in at the Darwen End from outside the box in the same game - he didn't get many from distance - can't find any stats to confirm it - anyone remember it or confirm he scored in that game? Thanks

21 hours ago, Vinjay said:

I don't really see much point for the petition other than "backslapping self credit". The club don't do many decent things but the Clayton/Douglas ends are there so why would be any objection to Parkes. Sometimes all people need to do is ask or bring it up at the fans forum.

Someone else in another thread has said they are devoting All of  there time to this whole thing. They have no doubt got in touch with the club already however as I said I’d they get InTouch with me I may have something 

• Like 1

I can only agree with every word that everybody's put in this thread. Especially with the need to get the Tony Parkes Riverside Stand named a.s.a.p. Tony wasn't "one of our own" in that we bought him, but he certainly became one. Has anybody answered the call to manage a club more often?

I'm half-watching the Oxford - Newcastle replay while catching up with the Board. Given the Board's recent record with recognising those of our former heroes who've recently died, I was particularly interested to catch sight of a big photograph of Jim Smith, who of course managed both clubs, with his dates at the Kassam.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, grinder said:

Just thinking about Parkes the footballer and wondering if someone can confirm a memory here?? Back in the mid 70s -1976 I think it was, we beat Luton 3-0 at Ewood the 3rd goal being one of the best Ive ever seen -scored by Ken Beamish (of all people) following a brilliant move starting in our own box

I seem to recall Parkes volleying one in at the Darwen End from outside the box in the same game - he didn't get many from distance - can't find any stats to confirm it - anyone remember it or confirm he scored in that game? Thanks

I’m pretty sure you’re right - I certainly remember Parkes scoring a longe range effort against Luton but can’t definitively say whether it was in that 3-0 win (April 76) or not. It does sound about right though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Weaver said:

Courtesy of Mr Jackman.....

3 April 1976   Rovers v Luton    3-0    Parkes, Waddington, Beamish     Att 7911

Doesn't say if was in the Darwen End goal though

Thanks!!?It was a screamer I recall from the right side of the box

I was in BBE when Beamo volleyed it in (intentionally or not) right in front of me from a right wing cross from Kevin Hird still just about the best goal Ive seen at Ewood - about 5 passes from our goal line I think.....

Don't remember John Waddingtons goal though!

Would be brilliant if we could trigger a few memories for Tony with a stand naming........

• Like 1