BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

13 hours ago, Neil Weaver said:

Courtesy of Mr Jackman.....

3 April 1976   Rovers v Luton    3-0    Parkes, Waddington, Beamish     Att 7911

Doesn't say if was in the Darwen End goal though

I was 13 or so then, living in Clitheroe and Dad and I used to go on the Riverside occasionally ( Dad and Lad £1.30 !! )

I have a distinct memory of Luton's Ron Futcher putting his weight about, elbows etc until, as he was trying to get up, a Rovers player ran past him and trod on his hand. He went beserk ! The Riverside burst out laughing as the Rovers player jogged past, his hand cupped over his mouth as if stifling his laughter. It was either this game, or the 1-0 win the year after. I'm not sure who it was, possibly Stuart Metcalfe .... funny as owt !   

I think what makes this even more poignant is the fact he’s now a bona fide Blackburner too, along with his family.

A lot of legends, your Shearers, Kennys etc, come and go and you just have memories (great one’s like!). Tony spent not just 35 years at the club, but lives amongst us too. Anybody that lives around Wilpshire and Brownhill can testify to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Naming a training pitch after him?? Insulting.

Totally agree.

It really will show Waggott up as utterly insensitive - especially after the verbal kicking the club's management got in FTH recently over their lack of respect to our deceased heroes of yesteryear - if the idea of naming a pitch at Brockhall after TP goes through, and the Riverside Stand isn't re-named.

• Like 1

Beyond insulting 

Maybe they have earmarked a way round ffp for the big promotion push by finding a sponsor for the stand or maybe they are just ignoring what the fans wants in the same way jacks legacy gets ignored.

why not change car park c to the tony car Parkes ffs

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, if he means the training complex, I.e. ‘The Tony Parkes Senior Training Centre’, ok, that’s an idea.

A ‘pitch’? He can feck off and delegate this to fans groups who should decide. It’s OUR club who will be here long after he’s pitched up somewhere else.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, if he means the training complex, I.e. ‘The Tony Parkes Senior Training Centre’, ok, that’s an idea.

A ‘pitch’? He can feck off and delegate this to fans groups who should decide. It’s OUR club who will be here long after he’s pitched up somewhere else.

He seemed to suggest naming each of the training pitches after former players. That’s basically a label on a piece of A4 paper on a Brockhall notice board. Surely he isn’t that crass?

Tony Parkes is not just a “former player“. He is bigger than that, he is one of very very few “Mr Blackburn Rovers“.

As we will all see on Saturday...

• Like 3

On 06/02/2020 at 06:32, sympatheticclaret said:

I was 13 or so then, living in Clitheroe and Dad and I used to go on the Riverside occasionally ( Dad and Lad £1.30 !! )

I have a distinct memory of Luton's Ron Futcher putting his weight about, elbows etc until, as he was trying to get up, a Rovers player ran past him and trod on his hand. He went beserk ! The Riverside burst out laughing as the Rovers player jogged past, his hand cupped over his mouth as if stifling his laughter. It was either this game, or the 1-0 win the year after. I'm not sure who it was, possibly Stuart Metcalfe .... funny as owt !   

It probably was Metcalfe, he could fight fire with fire when it was required.

• Like 1

It must be the stand or a statue or something that fans attending Ewood can see forever not a patch of grass out in the sticks with a little plaque at the side out it. That's frankly ###### insulting after all he's done for this club especially in its times of need then quietly and professionally stepped back into the shadows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

He seemed to suggest naming each of the training pitches after former players. That’s basically a label on a piece of A4 paper on a Brockhall notice board. Surely he isn’t that crass?

Tony Parkes is not just a “former player“. He is bigger than that, he is one of very very few “Mr Blackburn Rovers“.

As we will all see on Saturday...

Probably saw this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45919720

• Backroom

FWIW, my Dad tells me that in his opinion, 'Mr. Blackburn Rovers' is reserved only for those who completely commit themselves to, and sacrifice for, the club:

Jack Walker

Bob Crompton

Tony Parkes

I asked about Dougie and Clayton:

'Wonderful players, but no not quite.'

16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

FWIW, my Dad tells me that in his opinion, 'Mr. Blackburn Rovers' is reserved only for those who completely commit themselves to, and sacrifice for, the club:

Jack Walker

Bob Crompton

Tony Parkes

I asked about Dougie and Clayton:

'Wonderful players, but no not quite.'

Wow...tough man to please

How on earth would Clayton and Douglas not fulfil the criteria?!

Douggie is a Blackburner, a Rovers fan, was a top England international but still spent his whole career at the club and is still at every single game at a ripe old age.

Ronnie was England captain and also spent his whole professional career at Rovers (carried on in non league for a couple of years). He then spent every game at Ewood with Douggie and ran the ground tours for years.

Too right they qualify!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

How on earth would Clayton and Douglas not fulfil the criteria?!

Douggie is a Blackburner, a Rovers fan, was a top England international but still spent his whole career at the club and is still at every single game at a ripe old age.

Ronnie was England captain and also spent his whole professional career at Rovers (carried on in non league for a couple of years). He then spent every game at Ewood with Douggie and ran the ground tours for years.

Too right they qualify!

As Herbie said, tough man to please! And he idolised Dougie in particular.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 16:25, lraC said:

A claret Legend and very good friend of mine Brian Pilkington, was diagnosed with this, quite some ago. He now requires care and lives in a care home as a result. I had a message from one of his family members earlier today, to say he is very ill right now. 

As you rightly say, it puts the silliness around local rivalries into perspective and shows how precious life is and how an illness like this, can strike anyone. 

So sorry to hear that Brian had passed away this afternoon, RIP !