BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

1 hour ago, sympatheticclaret said:

So sorry to hear that Brian had passed away this afternoon, RIP !

He did, at 2.00PM with his wife son and daughter in law at his side.

I got the message from Helen, his daughter in law, shortly after he passed away. She had told me earlier in the week, he was near the end.

he was a great guy Brian and I have a lot to thank him for, as I wouldn’t have been where I am in business today, without him. I spent many an hour with him at his office in Leyland, chatting about football and all sorts of other things.

There is a tribute to him on the Telegraph site and it is quite a nice piece

RIP Brian you are one of life’s special people. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

FWIW, my Dad tells me that in his opinion, 'Mr. Blackburn Rovers' is reserved only for those who completely commit themselves to, and sacrifice for, the club:

Jack Walker

Bob Crompton

Tony Parkes

I asked about Dougie and Clayton:

'Wonderful players, but no not quite.'

As far as I know Clayton never asked for a transfer and prior to doing the ground tours probably wasn't offered a job. He's certainly on a par with Parkes for longevity though in all due respect it's not like people were kicking Tony's door down. So really that gives Clayton the edge for me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vinjay said:

As far as I know Clayton never asked for a transfer and prior to doing the ground tours probably wasn't offered a job. He's certainly on a par with Parkes for longevity though in all due respect it's not like people were kicking Tony's door down. So really that gives Clayton the edge for me. 

I asked Ronnie this question on a ground tour many years ago - he said he did get an offer from Tottenham but 'the money was exactly the same so why on earth would I want to move,......

• Like 1

Obviously Clayton, Douglas and Parkes's playing days are before my time but it's obvious that all three of these great men could have the title as "Mr Blackburn Rovers.

My grandad used to tell me about Clayton and Douglas all the time, real hero's of his, and any "older" Rovers fan you speak to in any walk of life will probably say the same, it's such a shame there isn't much video archives of these two in there prime because it's something I would love to see. I have met both too, Ronnie on a ground tour in the late 90's and Bryan at the hall of fame event last year.

For anyone my age though, mid to late 30's Tony Parkes is just synonymous with the club, he was the one constant in my first 15 years or so of watching Rovers, and it felt like throughout my child hood and into my teens that he was constantly bailing us out of trouble after various managers had made a pig's ear out of things. For anyone who has the 96-97 season review VHS theres a long feature with him on there and how well he speaks of the club, the town and the fans.

It's a shame the way he left in 04, but the testimonial night in 05 certainly went some way to making it up to him.

I think if Ronnie and Bryan have stands named after them, then Tony certainly deserves that honour too.

I'm looking forward to seeing him come out on the pitch today.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Obviously Clayton, Douglas and Parkes's playing days are before my time but it's obvious that all three of these great men could have the title as "Mr Blackburn Rovers.

My grandad used to tell me about Clayton and Douglas all the time, real hero's of his, and any "older" Rovers fan you speak to in any walk of life will probably say the same, it's such a shame there isn't much video archives of these two in there prime because it's something I would love to see. I have met both too, Ronnie on a ground tour in the late 90's and Bryan at the hall of fame event last year.

For anyone my age though, mid to late 30's Tony Parkes is just synonymous with the club, he was the one constant in my first 15 years or so of watching Rovers, and it felt like throughout my child hood and into my teens that he was constantly bailing us out of trouble after various managers had made a pig's ear out of things. For anyone who has the 96-97 season review VHS theres a long feature with him on there and how well he speaks of the club, the town and the fans.

It's a shame the way he left in 04, but the testimonial night in 05 certainly went some way to making it up to him.

I think if Ronnie and Bryan have stands named after them, then Tony certainly deserves that honour too.

I'm looking forward to seeing him come out on the pitch today.

I think the other "Mr Blackburn" left is Simom Garner. I would hope to see some recognition for him while he's still alive. 

Running our of stands though!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 47er said:

I think the other "Mr Blackburn" left is Simom Garner. I would hope to see some recognition for him while he's still alive. 

Running our of stands though!

Yes without a doubt, you could say Bob Crompton too but he was well before any of our times on here. 

I'd love to see a statue of Garner, his record goalscorer achievement will never be overtaken in modern day football, with maybe a plaque listing the dates and opposition of all of his goals. Probably far too much effort for a venkys owned Rovers though.

• Like 1

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being chanted to the rafters as he emerged from the tunnel.

Never mind. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and they want to sort out the signage etc. first...

Edited by Mattyblue

Really sad to see Tony like that yesterday. Seemed so unsure of himself - there is also footage from in the tunnel where he is being shown his own name on the legends wall. You can see why his daughter said it isn’t the same man. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being changed to the rafters as he emerged.

Never mind. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and they want to sort out the signage etc. first...

They won’t be naming the stand after him, Matty. Waggott’s comments said everything for me. I expect he will be looking for a new RFS first.

• Like 2

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being chanted to the rafters as he emerged from the tunnel.

Well the club said on Thursday no decision has been made so I have no idea why you expect it.

Mowbray sat and talk Tony Parkes yesterday. Andy Bayes took him to and from game plus spending time. Rovers staff look after him.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the club said on Thursday no decision has been made so I have no idea why you expect it.

Mowbray sat and talk Tony Parkes yesterday. Andy Bayes took him to and from game plus spending time. Rovers staff look after him.

“We’ve done all we can”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No idea why I expect it? Because it’s the very least he deserves, and the fans, you know, the lifeblood of the club expect it! A club in tune with its fanbase would’ve have been proactive.

You happy with a training pitch in Langho then?

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They won’t be naming the stand after him, Matty. Waggott’s comments said everything for me. I expect he will be looking for a new RFS first.

Probably, we certainly aren’t a football club that I can recognise in that famous quote of Bobby Robson these days.

Edited by Mattyblue

No idea why I expect it? Because it’s the very least he deserves, and the fans, you know, the lifeblood of the club expect it!

Probably, we certainly aren’t the club so aptly described in that famous quote of Bobby Robson these days.

We certainly aren’t. We lack ambition, strategy and class. But folk talk a good game though.

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No idea why I expect it? Because it’s the very least he deserves, and the fans, you know, the lifeblood of the club expect it! A club in tune with its fanbase would’ve have been proactive.

Ain't a week a long time on here. Here my suggestion which funny enough you endorsed MattyBlue. Also Matty, I posted the link to the online petition to rename the Riverside the Tony Parkes stand and signed it myself. 

Screenshot_20200209-091500_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by chaddyrovers