BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And? He can’t have both?

Well could we not do both at the same time and have a Tony Parkes day like I suggested. In the summer. 

Very quick to point fingers when the club might be planning something like I suggested. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

It's an easy one for fans, name the stand it's a no brainer.  For those at the club though it's a bit more complex seeing as theirs only one stand left and it's been sponsored before.

If Venkys said we'll set up another company and sponsor that stand for 5 million per year but we want the company logo all over it they've not much choice.  It needs something proper though not an effing training pitch or a lounge that's prone to change name every time it's refurbished.

Time for a museum or walk of fame or something like that maybe.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Stuart said:

They won’t be naming the stand after him, Matty. Waggott’s comments said everything for me. I expect he will be looking for a new RFS first.

They should rename it after him, and then sponsors can still be used.

'... are proud Sponsors of the Tony Parkes Riverside Stand'.

PNE do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sir+tom+finney+stand+outside&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjppunBusTnAhWXwoUKHUvbAqcQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=sir+tom+finney+stand+outside&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...2264.5242..5523...1.0..0.173.891.6j3......0....1.........0i30j0i24j33i10j30i10.4F0qK5ndcps&ei=Mvk_XunFPJeFlwTLtou4Cg&bih=782&biw=412&client=ms-android-ee-uk-revc&prmd=imsvn&safe=strict#imgrc=YoQKKCqiaJcrmM&imgdii=AN-o5a6pVIZTFM

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

'... are proud Sponsors of the Tony Parkes Riverside  Stand"

Absolutely.

I can maybe understand that the Club might not want to restrict the advertising potential of that stand but it hasn't stopped us doing something similar with the Blackburn and Darwen Ends.

If there was any real appetite to do it within the Club then that's the solution. Would be a bit too classy for Waggott though I'd imagine. He'll be way too busy trying to find extra ways of grinding even more money out of the dwindling hardcore like the matchday tax and charging £7.50 for a pie and a pint.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

Also perhaps it's time the coward who leaked the 2004 sacking comes forward or gets outed. I've narrowed it down to two people though and neither have a conscience.

I suspect that as it’s 16 years ago now, they probably don’t care any more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely.

I can maybe understand that the Club might not want to restrict the advertising potential of that stand but it hasn't stopped us doing something similar with the Blackburn and Darwen Ends.

If there was any real appetite to do it within the Club then that's the solution. Would be a bit too classy for Waggott though I'd imagine. He'll be way too busy trying to find extra ways of grinding even more money out of the dwindling hardcore like the matchday tax and charging £7.50 for a pie and a pint.

Even worse when the fans are then blamed for not cheerfully handing over their hard-earned like good “committed” supporters.

Self-defeating.

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

'... are proud Sponsors of the Tony Parkes Riverside 

The stand is already sponsored by Venkys isn't it... Hasn't the RFS sign been exchanged for a Venky sign ?

Cheston confirmed the Venky advertising all has a monetary value for us. No point changing it to another company unless they pay more and I bet they are already "adjusting" by the max they can get away with.

It just hasn't had a public announcement about it's name as the sponsors dont require that as any normal sponsor would.

I suspect they need time for the legals to check out the implications properly with the EFL before they just jump in on a wave of emotion and get it (legally) wrong.

Or maybe I am giving them too much credit but that would be what I expect would need to happen before any public decision.

On 07/02/2020 at 19:25, jim mk2 said:

Might be wrong but IIRC Duggie did try to get a transfer from Rovers at one stage but was flatly turned down by the board.

Yes he asked for a transfer when we appeared to be going nowhere and he was a marked man, in more ways than one, every week. Then the Ferguson, McEvoy ,Pickering, Douglas, Harrison forward line emerged and he decided to come off the list. Roma made enquiries about signing him after the 1962 World Cup. I'm reading a book my wife bought me that consists of newspaper accounts of Rovers games through the years. In the report of the famous 7-2 thrashing of Spurs ( for the youf of today that was like beating the current Liverpool team by the same score ) it states that Bill Nicholson, the Spurs manager, walked into the boardroom at Ewood after the game and said  " Name your price for Douglas ". Obviously the offer was turned down.

Ronnie told me that several clubs were interested in him over the years, Arsenal and Wolves were two he mentioned, but he was always happy at Ewood.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The stand is already sponsored by Venkys isn't it... Hasn't the RFS sign been exchanged for a Venky sign ?

Cheston confirmed the Venky advertising all has a monetary value for us. No point changing it to another company unless they pay more and I bet they are already "adjusting" by the max they can get away with.

It just hasn't had a public announcement about it's name as the sponsors dont require that as any normal sponsor would.

I suspect they need time for the legals to check out the implications properly with the EFL before they just jump in on a wave of emotion and get it (legally) wrong.

Or maybe I am giving them too much credit but that would be what I expect would need to happen before any public decision.

Didn’t they work out the process before naming the BBE and DE stands?

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

I mean with respect to our FFP position.

e.g. If we have recently signed a lucrative 3 year sponsorship deal with Venkys.

It can’t be that lucrative, we can’t afford to buy players - and even if we could Mowbray won’t pay them the market rate.

Although I think you are right that it is due to commercial factors. What a club we have become. I just hope they don’t name the training pitches. If they can’t do it right, don’t bother.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It can’t be that lucrative, we can’t afford to buy players - and even if we could Mowbray won’t pay them the market rate.

Although I think you are right that it is due to commercial factors. What a club we have become. I just hope they don’t name the training pitches. If they can’t do it right, don’t bother.

He said we have 3 pitches... Tony calls them 1, 2 & 3.... and we might call them Tony Parkes, Kenny Dalglishhh.....or whatever....

Pitches called Tony, Kenny and Ray I think was where he was going.

They better not pursue that completely ridiculous idea. Embarrassing idea.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

He said we have 3 pitches... Tony calls them 1, 2 & 3.... and we might call them Tony Parkes, Kenny Dalglishhh.....or whatever....

Pitches called Tony, Kenny and Ray I think was where he was going.

They better not pursue that completely ridiculous idea. Embarrassing idea.

Indeed, it's just about as patronising as you can possibly get. Going off him admitting the 10k for 10 k was a bad idea based on a whim it really doesn't fill you with confidence when these lot are looking at players.

You can very much see how easy it is for incompetence to waste huge fees on some . And hand out contracts that have lumbered us again with others.

• Backroom

Don’t the FA name the pitches down at burton upon Trent after England legends?

I imagine that’s where he got the idea 

ah yes

12996_sgp__3d_map_a1_v7.ashx?la=en

The Sir Bobby Charlton pitch alongside the Paul Ince Pitch, lovely 

Edited by Tom