BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

No argument from me either about Tony receiving recognition, although I'd prefer it if they were able to give him some practical help at the same time.

However, the idea of a Tony Parkes Stand was a supporters' idea, that built up a head of steam. None of us know whether the club has other ideas for naming the stands in the light of FFP . etc.

I know I had my own suspicions about the timing of the Ronnie Clayton mural, but my argument here is that it is not reasonable to lambast the club, simply because it does not immediately sign up to the stand idea, generated online. That does not necessarily mean disregard for Tony

Totally agree with you. My point was that the club has been placed in a problematic situation with this one. Like you I would prefer practical help to Tony as the priority. Beyond that recognition would be nice but not in a manner that suggests it has been brought about by his illness. I don't think it is arguable that he deserves something at Ewood to remind us of him. My suggestion was that if he was included in recognition with other luminaries that would not arise. There was more to the man than just player and manager. Along with Faz and Butch he was the reliable choice when the club was represented at social functions, was often sent to scout players and the opposition and was Jack's ears when he left for Jersey. I think this is one that needs thinking about and I don't blame Waggott for taking his time, as long as there is an end result. There is the additional complication that he was treated disgracefully when he was dismissed so like I said a lot to take on board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Axe said:

Totally agree with you. My point was that the club has been placed in a problematic situation with this one. Like you I would prefer practical help to Tony as the priority. Beyond that recognition would be nice but not in a manner that suggests it has been brought about by his illness. I don't think it is arguable that he deserves something at Ewood to remind us of him. My suggestion was that if he was included in recognition with other luminaries that would not arise. There was more to the man than just player and manager. Along with Faz and Butch he was the reliable choice when the club was represented at social functions, was often sent to scout players and the opposition and was Jack's ears when he left for Jersey. I think this is one that needs thinking about and I don't blame Waggott for taking his time, as long as there is an end result. There is the additional complication that he was treated disgracefully when he was dismissed so like I said a lot to take on board.

Nailed it for me.

I don’t agree with sticking Tony in alongside a host of other names. Where does that stop? Who is in and who misses the cut? There is already a wall of legends with Tony’s name amongst other names.

This is about recognising a former club stalwart and legend, on the pitch and off it, who devoted his career and life to this club, and who is here now. Although, holding the club to emotional ransom over stand naming is likely to be counterproductive given what the regime thinks of fans customers.

However, I do agree that the club needs to think about this carefully. The online petition has set the desired recognition bar pretty high, while the one that the club delivers (and only they will ultimately deliver) has the potential to add further ill-will at a time when they are trying to generate feelgood vibes (and revenue). Which is why I think they will be ‘looking into’ an appropriate tribute for a little while yet (hopefully not until the public emotion fades - although that is a suspicion). It would be lovely to have Tony here to see it, and even open it (whatever it is).

I await Steve’s decision. Or maybe he’ll defer to the FF to decide - within some defined boundaries - so it can be sold as “a fitting tribute chosen by the fans”. I certainly don’t expect to be delighted but it would be nice, just once, to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sadly Gordon Cowans has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s as well :(

Yes it’s unbelievably sad.

Here is a statement from Gordon Cowans...

“Dear friends and supporters.
In an attempt to stop speculation and misinformation about my health, I have decided to release the following statement. After a series of recent tests, I have been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disease. Medication has been prescribed and with some life changes, which I intend to commit to fully, the prognosis is a good one. I will be out and about for many years yet and see this as just another of life's journeys. My match day duties with Aston Villa will remain an important part of my future and I will continue to perform these, in support of my beloved club, for as long as my health allows. With the love and support of family and close friends guaranteed, I am very optimistic and positive about the future. With Love. Gordon ( Sid ) Cowans”

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

• Backroom

I hope there is more ongoing research about the potential of CTE having an effect.

However if there was irrefutable proof of a correlation I still think there would be a struggle to convince people that changes were due

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Happy 72nd birthday Tony!

(Wonder if Waggott can find the can he kicked right down Bolton Road re tribute?)

Wasn’t it going to be the naming of one of the training pitches?

As of that wasn’t insulting enough, in the next breath they were looking into getting rid of training pitches.

Brilliant.

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Just read these two articles : https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19724340.blackburn-rovers-ittle-winner-colin-hendry-signs-dementia-study/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9109007/Tony-Parkes-daughter-wants-change-football-Dads-struggles-dementia.html

It's devastating and profoundly sad. Sadly, with family, I know first hand what dealing with such diseases is like. You think there has to be a link with heading the ball, given how many stories in football you read. Yet with the case I am familiar with, as with others, it can also happen to people who have never had any kind of head-related stress.

We have to value every day that we have.

• Like 5

It is incredibly sad to hear how far its progressed in such a short space of time, It was only a few years ago that I drove past him most days whilst he was on his jog down to the shops near brownhill 😞

It's also very disappointing how quickly brfc was to dismiss any suggestion of a stand or something of that stature to be named after him. It seems pretty morbid if they're going to wait until he passes to do something like that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Herbie6590 changed the title to Tony Parkes - Crowd Funding