BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

This is so sad. I feel very sorry for Tony and his family. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, dementia takes away everything, it's one of the worst things that can happen to older people. All the best Tony, good player and true Rover

It’s hard to watch that video. Tony was and still is a fans man, he loves the fans and the fans love him. He was also very underrated as a player. Metcalfe and Parkes together is quite legendary in the minds of those that saw him/them play.

Well done Natalie, it must take some courage to do an interview like that. This becoming public knowledge will endear both of you to rovers fans and even further afield than that. You’re dads in good hands I’ve no doubt.

take care both of you.

Edited by den
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

My Dad is going through a similar thing, albeit in his early eighties, and it's so sad to see ... he should be so proud of his daughter !

Watching things like this puts all the " silliness " around local rivalries in it's true perspective. All Clubs have their legends and favorite sons, and Tony Parkes truly is one of Blackburn Rover's finest. The " Up the Clarets " board has a post about Tony this morning, and there's much best wishes and sympathy being expressed, to which I should like to add my own.

Good luck, fella ! 

Sorry to hear that my old man went through an aggressive form of vasuclar dementia brought on they thought by a quadruple bypass a few years earlier. Not really much you can say other than i hope you all come through it the best you can and your dad copes as well as can be expected.

All the best.

• Like 1

Such sad news today ,my mother as also been diagnosed just this last few weeks..I personaly have a lot of memories with Tony going back to the Eighties and then later in life chatting to him while on scouting missions..He is  such a down to earth man ,softley spoken with never a bad word to say about anyone .What more can you say ..

Edited by den9112
  • Like 2

The calls for renaming the Riverside the Tony Parkes Riverside are just the ticket for me.  Someone like Tony should have been honoured some way by now although i'm sure there's always been something in the thoughts at some stage regardless of this news.

Time to do it now though and i don't want this to turn into a bashing thread again but they need to put it to the owners right now, today. We know how long things take down there and it's not something for the next board meeting with Rovers staff in July.

Get on it right away.

• Like 8

Tony was Blackburn Rovers through and through both on and off the pitch. He always gave 100 % to the club without much reward I suppose. Good luck for the future Tony. Maybe a benefit match would be the best way to contribute to his future treatment. Possibly the last promotion team against the current lot. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, den said:

It’s hard to watch that video. Tony was and still is a fans man, he loves the fans and the fans love him. He was also very underrated as a player. Metcalfe and Parkes together is quite legendary in the minds of those that saw him/them play.

Well done Natalie, it must take some courage to do an interview like that. This becoming public knowledge will endear both of you to rovers fans and even further afield than that. You’re dads in good hands I’ve no doubt.

take care both of you.

Echo that Den about being underrated as a player but not underrated as a human being - if only the modern player had his loyalty - very sad

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Wow. That is so touching and sad. Tony is a Rovers legend,  that goes without saying but most important than that he is a gentleman. I had quite a few dealings with him and his humility and warmth were apparent. 

Massive credit to Natalie too.

Our kid played a few Rovers reserves games as a teenager with Tony when he was coming to the end of his own career. He says that he always took the time to pass on his wisdom to the young lads coming through in a really kind way, which echoes what you have said. Also, anyone linked to Colin Hendry on Facebook will see a lovely post about Tony (as well as a brilliant photo of the pair of them taken just last week). 

Horrible news. We are in the throes of family issues surrounding a very close relative who's suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and it's truly awful how someone so bright & bubbly can become so detached & dependant in such a short space of time. Getting help for her and for us as carers is a minefield.

I hope Tony & his family can draw some positives from the love, support & good wishes from the Rovers & football families. 

• Like 3