Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chaddyrovers

Tony Parkes

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

So sorry to hear that Brian had passed away this afternoon, RIP !

Just before my time at Burnley but I saw him play at all his subsequent clubs, Bolton, Bury and Barrow. He was a top player in his day at a time when every team had two good wingers. RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

As Herbie said, tough man to please!

Might be wrong but IIRC Duggie did try to get a transfer from Rovers at one stage but was flatly turned down by the board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to hear about Brian Pilkington. Another of these very good Burnley players who always seemed to be just that bit better than us back in the 1960s. 

Dementia is a vile disease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sympatheticclaret said:

So sorry to hear that Brian had passed away this afternoon, RIP !

He did, at 2.00PM with his wife son and daughter in law at his side.

I got the message from Helen, his daughter in law, shortly after he passed away. She had told me earlier in the week, he was near the end.

he was a great guy Brian and I have a lot to thank him for, as I wouldn’t have been where I am in business today, without him. I spent many an hour with him at his office in Leyland, chatting about football and all sorts of other things.

There is a tribute to him on the Telegraph site and it is quite a nice piece

RIP Brian you are one of life’s special people. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad

Edited by lraC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

FWIW, my Dad tells me that in his opinion, 'Mr. Blackburn Rovers' is reserved only for those who completely commit themselves to, and sacrifice for, the club:

Jack Walker

Bob Crompton

Tony Parkes

I asked about Dougie and Clayton:

'Wonderful players, but no not quite.'

As far as I know Clayton never asked for a transfer and prior to doing the ground tours probably wasn't offered a job. He's certainly on a par with Parkes for longevity though in all due respect it's not like people were kicking Tony's door down. So really that gives Clayton the edge for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vinjay said:

As far as I know Clayton never asked for a transfer and prior to doing the ground tours probably wasn't offered a job. He's certainly on a par with Parkes for longevity though in all due respect it's not like people were kicking Tony's door down. So really that gives Clayton the edge for me. 

I asked Ronnie this question on a ground tour many years ago - he said he did get an offer from Tottenham but 'the money was exactly the same so why on earth would I want to move,......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously Clayton, Douglas and Parkes's playing days are before my time but it's obvious that all three of these great men could have the title as "Mr Blackburn Rovers.

My grandad used to tell me about Clayton and Douglas all the time, real hero's of his, and any "older" Rovers fan you speak to in any walk of life will probably say the same, it's such a shame there isn't much video archives of these two in there prime because it's something I would love to see. I have met both too, Ronnie on a ground tour in the late 90's and Bryan at the hall of fame event last year.

For anyone my age though, mid to late 30's Tony Parkes is just synonymous with the club, he was the one constant in my first 15 years or so of watching Rovers, and it felt like throughout my child hood and into my teens that he was constantly bailing us out of trouble after various managers had made a pig's ear out of things. For anyone who has the 96-97 season review VHS theres a long feature with him on there and how well he speaks of the club, the town and the fans.

It's a shame the way he left in 04, but the testimonial night in 05 certainly went some way to making it up to him.

I think if Ronnie and Bryan have stands named after them, then Tony certainly deserves that honour too.

I'm looking forward to seeing him come out on the pitch today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Obviously Clayton, Douglas and Parkes's playing days are before my time but it's obvious that all three of these great men could have the title as "Mr Blackburn Rovers.

My grandad used to tell me about Clayton and Douglas all the time, real hero's of his, and any "older" Rovers fan you speak to in any walk of life will probably say the same, it's such a shame there isn't much video archives of these two in there prime because it's something I would love to see. I have met both too, Ronnie on a ground tour in the late 90's and Bryan at the hall of fame event last year.

For anyone my age though, mid to late 30's Tony Parkes is just synonymous with the club, he was the one constant in my first 15 years or so of watching Rovers, and it felt like throughout my child hood and into my teens that he was constantly bailing us out of trouble after various managers had made a pig's ear out of things. For anyone who has the 96-97 season review VHS theres a long feature with him on there and how well he speaks of the club, the town and the fans.

It's a shame the way he left in 04, but the testimonial night in 05 certainly went some way to making it up to him.

I think if Ronnie and Bryan have stands named after them, then Tony certainly deserves that honour too.

I'm looking forward to seeing him come out on the pitch today.

I think the other "Mr Blackburn" left is Simom Garner. I would hope to see some recognition for him while he's still alive. 

Running our of stands though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2020 at 06:25, jim mk2 said:

Might be wrong but IIRC Duggie did try to get a transfer from Rovers at one stage but was flatly turned down by the board.

 

Man City I think it was. £45000!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 47er said:

I think the other "Mr Blackburn" left is Simom Garner. I would hope to see some recognition for him while he's still alive. 

Running our of stands though!

Yes without a doubt, you could say Bob Crompton too but he was well before any of our times on here. 

I'd love to see a statue of Garner, his record goalscorer achievement will never be overtaken in modern day football, with maybe a plaque listing the dates and opposition of all of his goals. Probably far too much effort for a venkys owned Rovers though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being chanted to the rafters as he emerged from the tunnel.

Never mind. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and they want to sort out the signage etc. first...

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sad to see Tony like that yesterday. Seemed so unsure of himself - there is also footage from in the tunnel where he is being shown his own name on the legends wall. You can see why his daughter said it isn’t the same man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being changed to the rafters as he emerged.

Never mind. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and they want to sort out the signage etc. first...

They won’t be naming the stand after him, Matty. Waggott’s comments said everything for me. I expect he will be looking for a new RFS first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Nobody else think the club missed a trick in not just announcing a Riverside re-naming there and then? So much goodwill in the ground, and all week, Tony as guest of honour, his name being chanted to the rafters as he emerged from the tunnel.

Never mind. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and they want to sort out the signage etc. first...

Well the club said on Thursday no decision has been made so I have no idea why you expect it.

Mowbray sat and talk Tony Parkes yesterday. Andy Bayes took him to and from game plus spending time. Rovers staff look after him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the club said on Thursday no decision has been made so I have no idea why you expect it.

Mowbray sat and talk Tony Parkes yesterday. Andy Bayes took him to and from game plus spending time. Rovers staff look after him.

“We’ve done all we can”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the club said on Thursday no decision has been made so I have no idea why you expect it.

Mowbray sat and talk Tony Parkes yesterday. Andy Bayes took him to and from game plus spending time. Rovers staff look after him.

 

No idea why I expect it? Because it’s the very least he deserves, and the fans, you know, the lifeblood of the club expect it! A club in tune with its fanbase would’ve have been proactive.

You happy with a training pitch in Langho then?

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They won’t be naming the stand after him, Matty. Waggott’s comments said everything for me. I expect he will be looking for a new RFS first.

Probably, we certainly aren’t a football club that I can recognise in that famous quote of Bobby Robson these days.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

No idea why I expect it? Because it’s the very least he deserves, and the fans, you know, the lifeblood of the club expect it!

You happy with a training pitch in Langho then?

Probably, we certainly aren’t the club so aptly described in that famous quote of Bobby Robson these days.

We certainly aren’t. We lack ambition, strategy and class. But folk talk a good game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.