Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Home V Fulham 08/02/2020

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Walton
Nyambe   Lenihan   Tosin   Williams   Bell

Travis      Johnson

Downing

Graham      Armstrong

5-2-3. I like Downing behind the forwards, he's a creative player and has shown on multiple occasions he can shoot from the edge of the box. Without Holtby it'd be easy to change the midfield drastically, but against a strong Fulham side, I'd go with a 5 back. Allow the hot in form Nyambe to roam forward, Johnson and Travis can hold the midfield and Armstrong can drift around Graham.

I think he'll play Gallagher, which renders this whole thing useless, as Gallagher in this formation would feel like playing with 10 men all game. but I think Graham has the capability to glue this kind of tactic together. Tosin can control the play and keep possession with MUCH more freedom as a centre back in a three with much more cover also.

Alternatively:

Walton
Nyambe   Lenihan   Tosin   Williams   Downing

Travis      Johnson

Rankin-Costello

Graham      Armstrong

It looks ok on paper but such a formation doesnt tend to work when you just play it as a one off and it doesnt tend to work when we use it or flirt with the idea anyway, add to the fact that Mitrovic is a lone striker and it seems a bit of a waste to have a third centre back. I dont think it suits Nyambe to play anywhere but as a right back in a 4, obviously as a centre back he looks uncomfortable and aerially lacking and as a wing back as you have shown, I dont think he has the end product to play wing back as for all of his power and pace, he hasnt started chipping in with assists, and only then will teams start to sit up and take notice of him. Bell doesnt provide assists either but Downing is our only remaining player who plays between the lines so it seems a waste to push him back.

All being said, I think its a real struggle to name a team for the weekend with the injuries and lack of reinforcements. I dont want it to seem like I am just criticising for the sake of it. I think I would either accept that without so many key players, we have to compromise somewhat and be a bit more pragmatic and revert to 442, and play Graham up top with Armstrong, and Downing and Rankin Costello wide. That would potentially leave us exposed in terms of central midfield but both wide midfielders would naturally be a bit more narrow. Alternatively, we could play Downing as a 10, Armstrong up front to maintain the formula of having Armstrong up top and a player to link behind him, but then who do you play wide (Rankin Costello and Chapman for me, we know Gallagher will be shoehorned in there) and where do the goals come from? Its a tough one.

3 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

First of the interesting home games to come before the end of the season, which should not only decide any playoff ambitions, but also go a way to showing how competitive we'd even be if we managed to sneak into the top 6.

Saturday - Fulham (3rd)

*Then after Hull (14th) and Stoke (21st)*

29th February - Swansea (8th)

14th March - Bristol City (6th)

4th April - Leeds United (2nd)

13th April - West Bromwich Albion (1st)

Pre-Rothwell injury I was lucking my lips at those. Strong home record for a long time now and playing some very beatable sides away.

With the squad as it is now, it looks tougher, but you're still 100% right to say that we need wins from them to get in the top 6. 

On the Bennett at 10 thing mentioned elsewhere, he played the same role against Brentford at home last season and he was MoM. Pressing everything and not letting their better footballers settle one bit. 

Not saying the same thing would happen this time, or that he should be anywhere near there when any one of Dack, Holtby or Rothwell are fit, but given that we're playing some decent sides and we have to deal with what we have, it might not be a bad solution. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Pre-Rothwell injury I was lucking my lips at those. Strong home record for a long time now and playing some very beatable sides away.

With the squad as it is now, it looks tougher, but you're still 100% right to say that we need wins from them to get in the top 6. 

On the Bennett at 10 thing mentioned elsewhere, he played the same role against Brentford at home last season and he was MoM. Pressing everything and not letting their better footballers settle one bit. 

Not saying the same thing would happen this time, or that he should be anywhere near there when any one of Dack, Holtby or Rothwell are fit, but given that we're playing some decent sides and we have to deal with what we have, it might not be a bad solution. 

Contrast that to last season when we put in possibly our worst performance all season at home to Stoke and he played there and I dont think we mustered a proper chance all game. We cant play him there, he doesnt have the ability to take advantage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Contrast that to last season when we put in possibly our worst performance all season at home to Stoke and he played there and I dont think we mustered a proper chance all game. We cant play him there, he doesnt have the ability to take advantage.

Ah we probably could, if we had Rothwell one side. Putting him in the middle of JRC and Gallagher wouldn't fill me with confidence from an attacking POV. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah we probably could, if we had Rothwell one side. Putting him in the middle of JRC and Gallagher wouldn't fill me with confidence from an attacking POV. 

He had Rothwell and Armstrong either side in that game. You need someone in that role to take advantage of the space between the lines and he lacks the technical ability and the vision, and offers absolutely no goal threat. As you say, theres certainly no confidence in them 3 and we would become solely reliant on Armstrong. Thats why I suspect Graham will need to play. If anyone left is to play as a 10 it should be Downing.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He had Rothwell and Armstrong either side in that game. You need someone in that role to take advantage of the space between the lines and he lacks the technical ability and the vision, and offers absolutely no goal threat. As you say, theres certainly no confidence in them 3 and we would become solely reliant on Armstrong. Thats why I suspect Graham will need to play. If anyone left is to play as a 10 it should be Downing.

He's certainly not as bad as he is made out on here. The phobia, for want of  a better word, people have about him starting or even coming on anywhere is gone completely over the top. Same as it is about Gallagher. Having said that, I would agree with you that  the number 10 role wouldn't be playing to his strengths, long-term at least. The poster pointed out that against better opposition having someone in that role who stops the other team playing could have it's merits. Personally I wouldn't like having to resort to that at home, but if we did it and scraped a win, well then that is ultimately all that matters. 

At this stage of the season, particularly with our injuries, results are all that matter. I don't see it being pretty anyway. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's certainly not as bad as he is made out on here. The phobia, for want of  a better word, people have about him starting or even coming on anywhere is gone completely over the top. Same as it is about Gallagher. Having said that, I would agree with you that  the number 10 role wouldn't be playing to his strengths, long-term at least. The poster pointed out that against better opposition having someone in that role who stops the other team playing could have it's merits. Personally I wouldn't like having to resort to that at home, but if we did it and scraped a win, well then that is ultimately all that matters. 

At this stage of the season, particularly with our injuries, results are all that matter. I don't see it being pretty anyway. 

Its not to do with it being aesthetically unpleasant, because you could argue that playing Graham also falls under that category. I just dont think it will be effective with Bennett in the 10 especially as part of that 3 as you mentioned. Such a tactic may work as a one off but you want someone who can use the ball well and offer a threat. If we want to continue to be a bit more progressive with the likes of Adarabioyo and Downing then it will fall down with him as a 10, and if we decide that we have to compromise then we may aswell at least use someone like Graham who offers a goal threat.

I understand the furore around his potential inclusion because I think really he should have been culled as with Smallwood and Mulgrew as a League 1 quality player yet for much of the season he was the first name on the teamsheet regardless of position. In the last couple of months, refreshingly he has become far less integral.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not to do with it being aesthetically unpleasant, because you could argue that playing Graham also falls under that category. I just dont think it will be effective with Bennett in the 10 especially as part of that 3 as you mentioned. Such a tactic may work as a one off but you want someone who can use the ball well and offer a threat. If we want to continue to be a bit more progressive with the likes of Adarabioyo and Downing then it will fall down with him as a 10, and if we decide that we have to compromise then we may aswell at least use someone like Graham who offers a goal threat.

I understand the furore around his potential inclusion because I think really he should have been culled as with Smallwood and Mulgrew as a League 1 quality player yet for much of the season he was the first name on the teamsheet regardless of position. In the last couple of months, refreshingly he has become far less integral.

I understand why we need a different number 10 there, that wasn't what I was saying. Merely pointing out that having him there could work in some instances in the short-term, namely against opposition where we will need to stop them playing. If it was a case of him or Graham (and a change to 4-4-2) , I would go for Graham too. How sharp he is would be the next question though....

Indeed, but it is gone to the stage of hysteria now. All week prior to the game against Boro people were saying he would default be the one who started at the expense of JRC. It was almost taken as a given and Mowbray preemptively criticized for this. Turns out then he didn't start, almost no acknowledgement of this fact from those who said it was a certainty. Holtby unfortunately gets injured and it's all "oh well of course it's Bennett coming on" "he always shoe horns him in" "Classic Mowbray, why always this guy??!" etc etc. No, this is what was literally been said before the game and people were wrong. I agree he is not technically good enough to play 10, but my god he always puts a shift in. The criticism of him is gone way over the top and irrational even, in fact some of it is just nasty. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

But, our best XI doesn’t included Bennett, even now, with loads of injuries.

He isn’t good enough to get in the team, so he shouldn’t be in it, it’s no more complicated than that, for me. People have just observed on that in the past. I think he’s a good squad player, but no more than that. He’s been a good servant, but there is no room for sentiment in football. 

The only way the criticism would be over the top would be, if they were slagging off his family, but I haven’t seen anything of the sort to be fair. I’m sure if there’s an example though @Bigdoggsteel, you’ll point me to it!

The bare minimum of a footballer is to put in his maximum effort, so I’m glad he does that! 

With that being said, I’d still rather see him out wide, instead of Gallagher, as at least he has played there for most of his career.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

But, our best XI doesn’t included Bennett, even now, with loads of injuries.

He isn’t good enough to get in the team, so he shouldn’t be in it, it’s no more complicated than that, for me. People have just observed on that in the past. I think he’s a good squad player, but no more than that. He’s been a good servant, but there is no room for sentiment in football. 

The only way the criticism would be over the top would be, if they were slagging off his family, but I haven’t seen anything of the sort to be fair. I’m sure if there’s an example though @Bigdoggsteel, you’ll point me to it!

The bare minimum of a footballer is to put in his maximum effort, so I’m glad he does that! 

With that being said, I’d still rather see him out wide, instead of Gallagher, as at least he has played there for most of his career.

So the bar for over the top criticism is slagging his family? I disagree there! That clearly would be over the top, but I would say any personal insults (of which I have seen some) are over the top. Obviously discussing his ability and application never is. 

I think he is a good squad player, with a great attitude too. If ever there was a time we needed our squad...

What would your team be for Saturday? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Fulham will control possession of the ball and we will have around 30 to 35% of possession in the game. We need to solid, defensive and tactical sound. 

Like I said earlier in the week going 4-4-2 against them is stupid and daft cos they will rip us apart in the 1st 20 mins and the game will be done. We have to approach this game like away side. Play on the counter attack and we will get chances. Fulham play it out from the back from keeper so pressing high at the right times need to be done. 

Very similar to Brentford at home game last season and we will win this one. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So the bar for over the top criticism is slagging his family? I disagree there! That clearly would be over the top, but I would say any personal insults (of which I have seen some) are over the top. Obviously discussing his ability and application never is. 

I think he is a good squad player, with a great attitude too. If ever there was a time we needed our squad...

What would your team be for Saturday? 

You’ll have to point me to an example, as I haven’t seen any personal criticism, just a lot of criticism of his ability, which is fair game, really.

I’ve no idea tbh, I’d have to see the injury list...

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

You’ll have to point me to an example, as I haven’t seen any personal criticism, just a lot of criticism of his ability, which is fair game, really.

I’ve no idea tbh, I’d have to see the injury list...

Course you haven't Arsene ?

Come on ,pick your team. Get off the fence. Barring Holtby we all know who is available. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Course you haven't Arsene ?

Come on ,pick your team. Get off the fence. Barring Holtby we all know who is available. 

We’ve obviously got different standards of what is acceptable. Point me to an example of criticism of Bennett that is over the top and I’ll tell you what I think. You’re on here often enough, so it shouldn’t be that tough for you...

As you wish!

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin  Bell 

Travis         Johnson

Chapman     Downing    Rankin-Costello

Armstrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

We’ve obviously got different standards of what is acceptable. Point me to an example of criticism of Bennett that is over the top and I’ll tell you what I think. You’re on here often enough, so it shouldn’t be that tough for you...

As you wish!

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin  Bell 

Travis         Johnson

Chapman     Downing    Rankin-Costello

Armstrong

You're on here enough yourself that you should see these things, if you wanted to that is!

Ya, I would be for giving Downing a go there. At least he has the technical ability and brain. 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Walton

Nyambe      Lenihan         Tosin        Williams

Chapman    Travis           Johnson    Downing

Graham        Armstrong

Chapman hasn't been looking good.

Williams isn't a fullback and Bell has been playing well last few games.

And DG's legs have gone. He's okay from the bench now imo. Gallagher doesn't score much, but is a non stop worker.

And you don't have JRC in the team. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Chapman hasn't been looking good.

Williams isn't a fullback and Bell has been playing well last few games.

And DG's legs have gone. He's okay from the bench now imo. Gallagher doesn't score much, but is a non stop worker.

And you don't have JRC in the team. 

Chapman is a natural wide man and we have very few.

Bell hasn't played well in the two years he has been here, he's a terrible defender who I would have no way near the first team.

Graham's legs might have gone but his intelligence and link up play will cause a team far more problems than Gallagher running around like a headless chicken.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're on here enough yourself that you should see these things, if you wanted to that is!

Ya, I would be for giving Downing a go there. At least he has the technical ability and brain. 

This is when this message board gets tiresome. You've made the statement. You back it with evidence. K-Hod has clearly said he would comment if given the example to go on. Rather than tit for tat, nooooo you find it. 

I do find it interesting that both Bennett and Gallagher have again been defended because they work hard.

Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe and Downing all work hard for example and give their all but thats never mentioned because they have other qualities that they bring to the team. Which of our players dont work hard? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Chapman is a natural wide man and we have very few.

Bell hasn't played well in the two years he has been here, he's a terrible defender who I would have no way near the first team.

Graham's legs might have gone but his intelligence and link up play will cause a team far more problems than Gallagher running around like a headless chicken.

May be naturally wide but he has shown nothing, and wasn't even in the U23s the other day. 

Bell has great pace, good technically, and has undoubtedly played well recently; we have 2 wins and a draw in our last 3 games; 2 away, including an incredible 5-0 win at Wednesday. 

Williams is poor at fullback and doesn't even want to play there. Even old Downing is better. I would definitely have Thompson in the squad now though. 

Gallagher is excellent defensively and helps out the team, as frustrating as he is.

And JRC might just be our salvation. We were 1-0 up when he was taken off and had won the most tackles. Big respect to the fight of the young bandaged heo.

Hopefully Davenport and Buckley can get some game time too soon.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fulham will control possession of the ball and we will have around 30 to 35% of possession in the game. We need to solid, defensive and tactical sound. 

Like I said earlier in the week going 4-4-2 against them is stupid and daft cos they will rip us apart in the 1st 20 mins and the game will be done. We have to approach this game like away side. Play on the counter attack and we will get chances. Fulham play it out from the back from keeper so pressing high at the right times need to be done. 

Very similar to Brentford at home game last season and we will win this one. 

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of that. Fulham will have at least 60% of the ball whether we try to control the game or not. They're attack has a lot of threats let's not get too exposed.

Disagree on the formation though. We can be solid and play a tad deeper than usual in a 4-4-2, two banks of 4 playing close together helps. Gallagher and Armstrong uptop on the break would be a handful.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I do find it interesting that both Bennett and Gallagher have again been defended because they work hard.

Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe and Downing all work hard for example and give their all but thats never mentioned because they have other qualities that they bring to the team. Which of our players dont work hard? 

I don't defend Bennett because he gives the ball away and countless free kicks and penalties. Gallagher though has qualities. He is fast and is very good ariel to help the defence on corners etc.