BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Home V Fulham 08/02/2020

Just now, DE. said:

I'm not even sure why Samuel is still here. Massively below the standard required and will never be a first team regular unless we get relegated again. Can only assume there's been no interest in his services due to the wage we're paying him, whatever that is.

Will definitely never be a winger. I dont think he'd be the worst backup-backup striker if he actually got to play there, but our bizarre insistence on strikers out wide, mostly ones that don't even suit that style, is killing his and various other strikers' careers.

Won't care when he leaves though.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, bluebruce said:

Will definitely never be a winger. I dont think he'd be the worst backup-backup striker if he actually got to play there, but our bizarre insistence on strikers out wide, mostly ones that don't even suit that style, is killing his and various other strikers' careers.

Won't care when he leaves though.

Has Dom even played any games for us as a striker? I swear I can only remember him ever playing right wing. Problem is even as backup striker he'd be below Armstrong, Gallagher and Graham in the pecking order. Probably Brereton too, so do we need a 5th choice backup striker who is 26 years old in two months? 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is he obsessed with him though? 

Yep i think so in terms of trying to make something out of him he isn't. Although i hope he's doing one of his favours  now and it's a shop window job . He offers naff all and never has apart from a couple of grafting performances before he was injured.

We simply have to do better than the likes of him.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, DE. said:

Has Dom even played any games for us as a striker? I swear I can only remember him ever playing right wing. Problem is even as backup striker he'd be below Armstrong, Gallagher and Graham in the pecking order. Probably Brereton too, so do we need a 5th choice backup striker who is 26 years old in two months? 

Only in League One I think.

Yes that's why I said backup-backup. I don't think he is any worse than Brereton as they both stand at the moment. But obviously we only invested heavily in one of them, who to be fair has more room to grow. Graham is finished after this season, that should be obvious. You do need at least 4 strikers in your squad. Although with our insistence on strikers out wide you theoretically need 6...

Fulham deserved to win as they controlled the game for large parts without really creating too many chances. We ended the game with players all over the shop in what looked like disorganised chaos. Interestingly when we had all the strikers on Fulham went to a back five and Parker looked worried. Perhaps if we had been more adventurous from the start we might have got something. I don't think anybody played particularly well and a couple aside nobody was particularly bad. I felt sorry for JRC as he looked uncomfortable in the role he was given. Gallagher once again looked like an expensive flop.

As the end of the season gets closer the real worries for me start with loan players going back and out of contract players who will need replacing. Using the awful January window as the yardstick I can't see us really improving the squad with new players. I would like to see some of the youngsters given game time as we paddle along in mid table.

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, bluebruce said:

Only in League One I think.

Yes that's why I said backup-backup. I don't think he is any worse than Brereton as they both stand at the moment. But obviously we only invested heavily in one of them, who to be fair has more room to grow. Graham is finished after this season, that should be obvious. You do need at least 4 strikers in your squad. Although with our insistence on strikers out wide you theoretically need 6...

I wouldn't even be happy with Samuel as 4th choice backup in all honesty as I just don't think he's good enough and I'd want even 4th choice to be able to have some kind of impact. With that said I agree that Brereton isn't any better which doesn't help, but as you say at least Brereton theoretically has room to grow. Samuel is basically at his "peak" now.

Graham leaving will mean we only really have Armstrong as a decent option up front, which is a bit of a scary thought. Gallagher is really struggling although I have some sympathy for him being repeatedly played out of position. The rest of our so-called strikers are rubbish and usually deployed on the wings anyway.

Just more work that needs to be done in what is becoming an increasingly daunting summer transfer window. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I find it nearly impossible to motivate myself to go and watch Rovers particularly at home. Can’t get exited about the style football if there is a style. Can’t get exited about signings. Can’t get exited about a mid table slugfest. Most frustratingly it’ll be more of the same next season. Limping on killing time until we’re the next Bolton or god forbid Bury. 

Wow, absolutely spot on, mirrors my feelings exactly. I can barely drag myself down to Ewood. You know there's absolutely zero chance of doing anything with Mowbray in charge and as such matchdays are about as enticing as a trip to the dentist.

Our "style of play" such as it is seems to have graduated from hoofing long balls up to Graham to hoofing long diagonal balls out to Gallagher on the right touchline like a Rugby Union team trying to nick a few yards and win a lineout. Pitiful.

The problem is that whilst those in charge and a section of the fanbase still cling to the notion that Mowbray is actually doing a good job then there's no hope of any improvement.

• Like 3

Disappointed not to come away with a point today. It was clear Lenihan was onside at the time. More poor match officials simply not good enough..

Thought Rovers did good defensively and keep our shape very well 1st half and up to their goal. Walton made 3 good saves. Thought Lenihan was good and keep Mitrovic quiet apart from goal. Nyambe and Bell did very well. Travis was good in centre mid. 

Adarabioyo and Johnson weren't good enough  

Going forward couldn't get any sort of attack 1st half apart from Gallagher header. Second half we scored a good goal by Lenihan but very poor match officials cost us there. Gallagher had a great chance. But keeper made a good save. Our final ball was poor and Hector was heading everything. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I could accept playing Gallagher on the wing if it was a desperate option due to injuries, or Mowbray inherited him, and hes just fitting him in until he brings someone else better suited to the role.

But we paid £5m for him, have no quality strikers, and also have other players who can play right wing.

So it's either

1) We've signed a turkey and mowbrays just trying to save face by keeping him in the XI. If so thats poor.

2) He genuinely thinks he's a winger and signed him as such. If so that's utterly mental and Mowbray needs to be sectioned.

We should have had Gallagher central today and just gone long to him all game. Armstrong could have played right or up top alongside him.

It always confuses me when the lineup is posted with Armstrong and Gallagher in the team and people are saying we must be playing 4-4-2. It's like, come on guys, you know how Tony's mind works by now. If Gallagher and Armstrong are in the team you can practically guarantee SG will be out wide right. Granted today the inclusion of JRC probably made the 4-4-2 assumption seem more feasible, but never doubt Tony's ability to play people completely out of position. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, neophox said:

Fulham was the better team. We lack creativity at the moment. Next to Hull now who I Expect us to be fired up for three points. Fulham will go for automatic promotion and has the best striker in the league.

If only we’d signed just one of those many top PL talents you linked us to.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Totally uninspiring stuff.

Fulham looked a different class going forward, inventive and incisive - wonderfully worked goal.

Can recall their keeper having one save to make all day and that came in the last 20 minutes from Gallagher.

Don't think Rankin-Costello is going to make it though in fairness to the lad, played out of position whilst Gallagher played out wide yet again in Rankin-Costello's preferred position!!!  Absolutely barmy from, IMO, our square peg in round holes, hopeless manager.

Downing the only player to stand out - Travis worked hard but achieved very little.

I think Johnson, Gallagher and Armstrong were diabolically poor.

Last 20 minutes saw three big lads up front (Gallagher, Graham and Samuel) as we reverted to, IMO, 'ale house' football in what I think was Mowbray's attempt to bully/batter Fulham into a mistake.  I think our manager is a footballing dinosaur.

Will say it again, I think we are going nowhere under Mowbray and he has to go.

Some came on here after Thursday's meeting waxing lyrical about Mowbray and Waggott - hopefully, they will think again and see through, IMO, the smoke, mirrors, b0ll0cks and bullsh1t of Mowbray and Waggott.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, DE. said:

Very interesting to read the fan comments on that article...absolutely mirrors our situation (except he doesn't like wingers anymore!)

'Goodbye and good luck to a thoroughly decent man, but an awfully incompetent manager. I could spend the rest of the day chatting about how crap the team has been. We have more talent individually than we did last year, but not a single scrap of organization to build it. Not to mention the lopsided nature of the squad - 45 wingers, 275 strikers and just two vaguely-defensive midfielders, one of whom can't tackle and the other of whom can't pass.'

Even the last sentence, prior to Travis coming through, reminds me of our travails with Smallwood and Evans forever.

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Disappointed not to come away with a point today. It was clear Lenihan was onside at the time. More poor match officials simply not good enough..

Thought Rovers did good defensively and keep our shape very well 1st half and up to their goal. Walton made 3 good saves. Thought Lenihan was good and keep Mitrovic quiet apart from goal. Nyambe and Bell did very well. Travis was good in centre mid. 

Going forward couldn't get any sort of attack 1st half apart from Gallagher header. Second half we scored a good goal by Lenihan but very poor match officials cost us there. Gallagher had a great chance. But keeper made a good save. Our final ball was poor and Hector was heading everything. 

Views on Gallagher/Samuel wide, Armstrongs return to spending all game offside and Rankin Costello?

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wow, absolutely spot on, mirrors my feelings exactly. I can barely drag myself down to Ewood. You know there's absolutely zero chance of doing anything with Mowbray in charge and as such matchdays are about as enticing as a trip to the dentist.

Our "style of play" such as it is seems to have graduated from hoofing long balls up to Graham to hoofing long diagonal balls out to Gallagher on the right touchline like a Rugby Union team trying to nick a few yards and win a lineout. Pitiful.

The problem is that whilst those in charge and a section of the fanbase still cling to the notion that Mowbray is actually doing a good job then there's no hope of any improvement.

“Unless Tony comes to me and says he’s had enough...”

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not sure if it was on or offside but on the balance we’d have been hugely fortunate to come out of that game with anything 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Did Tony have anything to say in the presser about his ‘winger’ failing to track Bryan for their goal? Nah, didn’t think so.

The goal was nothing to do with Travis playing a wonderful through ball for the winger then.

I think with Evans, Rothwell, Holtby and Dack in the team we would have given them a game. Instead we had busted flushes Johnston and Gallagher and a kid making his home debut who were never going to match their Fulham counterparts.

26 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I could accept playing Gallagher on the wing if it was a desperate option due to injuries, or Mowbray inherited him, and hes just fitting him in until he brings someone else better suited to the role.

But we paid £5m for him, have no quality strikers, and also have other players who can play right wing.

So it's either

1) We've signed a turkey and mowbrays just trying to save face by keeping him in the XI. If so thats poor.

2) He genuinely thinks he's a winger and signed him as such. If so that's utterly mental and Mowbray needs to be sectioned.

We should have had Gallagher central today and just gone long to him all game. Armstrong could have played right or up top alongside him.

He's now collected 3 yes 3 for the same role as for some reason he sees Gallagher, Brereton and Ssmuel as wide striker come wingers. They aren't they really aren't and 2 are well over 6ft it's bonkers and brings zero to the teams he turns out.

Personally i think any one of them might settle into a role as right striker in a front 3 but we don't play that way. It's bizarre and you can only assume his idea having got them is just to shoehorn them in somehow.  Even persisting with that system 3 into one doesn't go and all this talk by fans of assuming he's earmarked one to replace Graham is also wide of the mark.

• Like 2