BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Home V Fulham 08/02/2020

We were played off the park today by the best team at Ewood so far this season.

Referee was good for a change. Bryan, their left back, was excellent and gave as good as he got from Nyambe. He is a product of Bristol City youth and cost 6 million. And he was only one of 11 other excellent players.

Rovers were outclassed.  Bring on Hull.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Armstrongs return to spending all game offside and Rankin Costello?

Cant wait to moan about the offside with Armstrong but never Graham tho? Wonder why? 

Rankin Costello worked hard in defensively sense. Plenty of promise there. Looking forward to seeing him playing more. No impact going forward sadly. Would have to see him stay on the pitch

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not sure if it was on or offside but on the balance we’d have been hugely fortunate to come out of that game with anything 

Not in opinion. Fulham created a couple of good chances. Fulham are nothing special if you play the way we did. Deny them space. Reid and their other wife player we dealt with mostly. Thought their best player was Joe Bryan. Left back

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Cant wait to moan about the offside with Armstrong but never Graham tho? Wonder why? 

Rankin Costello worked hard in defensively sense. Plenty of promise there. Looking forward to seeing him playing more. No impact going forward sadly. Would have to see him stay on the pitch

Not in opinion. Fulham created a couple of good chances. Fulham are nothing special if you play the way we did. Deny them space. Reid and their other wife player we dealt with mostly. Thought their best player was Joe Bryan. Left back

The inability of all the team to stay on side was embarassing but Armstrong was by far the worst offender. He should have gone out wide, I know we want him central long term but if the alternative is Gallagher and Samuel wide theres no alternative.

Playing as a number 10 you need to offer an attacking threat and every time he got the ball he didnt know what to do.

Cant help but be worried and unenthused at the prospect of watching us for the rest of the season with the current remaining players.

42 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I could accept playing Gallagher on the wing if it was a desperate option due to injuries, or Mowbray inherited him, and hes just fitting him in until he brings someone else better suited to the role.

But we paid £5m for him, have no quality strikers, and also have other players who can play right wing.

So it's either

1) We've signed a turkey and mowbrays just trying to save face by keeping him in the XI. If so thats poor.

2) He genuinely thinks he's a winger and signed him as such. If so that's utterly mental and Mowbray needs to be sectioned.

We should have had Gallagher central today and just gone long to him all game. Armstrong could have played right or up top alongside him.

If Graham is done after this season and we are perhaps done for the season it’s time to give game time in the right positions to Brereton and  Gallagher. It may not be pretty but they need to show if they really do have it. Play Brereton at 10 and Gallagher up front with Armstrong on the right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbrandjohn said:

If Graham is done after this season and we are perhaps done for the season it’s time to give game time in the right positions to Brereton and  Gallagher. It may not be pretty but they need to show if they really do have it. Play Brereton at 10 and Gallagher up front with Armstrong on the right. 

While I'm interested to see how Gallagher does up front Brereton is just a total waste. One of the worst footballers I've seen. If he turns out to play regularly at level higher than league 1 I will eat my words. But for me he's really really poor.

That said maybe a different manager would get more out of them both.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The inability of all the team to stay on side was embarassing but Armstrong was by far the worst offender. He should have gone out wide, I know we want him central long term but if the alternative is Gallagher and Samuel wide theres no alternative.

Playing as a number 10 you need to offer an attacking threat and every time he got the ball he didnt know what to do.

Cant help but be worried and unenthused at the prospect of watching us for the rest of the season with the current remaining players.

You obsess with offsides if you ask me. His record ain't that bad compare to strikers like Grabban or Watkins. Would you moan if you support them. Given the poor linesman who knows if he actually given the goal we scored that was onside. 

As a team we didn't offer much threat going forward so very extremely unfair to single out Rankin Costello. But yet again you do. He played to do similar role to what Bennett did last season against Brentford at home. 

Good for you. I continue to look forward to rest the season as always. We have the players we have  

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You obsess with offsides if you ask me. His record ain't that bad compare to strikers like Grabban or Watkins. Would you moan if you support them. Given the poor linesman who knows if he actually given the goal we scored that was onside. 

As a team we didn't offer much threat going forward so very extremely unfair to single out Rankin Costello. But yet again you do. He played to do similar role to what Bennett did last season against Brentford at home. 

Good for you. I continue to look forward to rest the season as always. We have the players we have  

I singled out Armstrong, Gallagher and Samuel for criticism too. Was an attacking performance whereby criticism is deserved basically across the board!

• Like 1

Tactics/selection didn't work today.  We created next to nothing because we couldn't make the ball stick up front. It's clear without a proper number 10 that the usual 'system' won't work.  JRC was completely ineffective. Armstrong and Downing can't play it either.  In fact, for the second home game on the bounce, Downing was poor in the middle.  Strange TM wasn't willing to risk Buckley there.  

Seasons gone now (tbh it went when Dack got injured). 

Time for 4-4-2 and integrate some young players, see if they're good enough. Would like to see Davenport and Travis play a few in the middle together with JRC or Chapman wide right and Downing wide left.  Two up top and we may as well try two of Gallagher/Armstrong/Brereton - With the other one on the bench.  Phase out Graham  now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We defended well but Fulham totally dominated the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Tactics/selection didn't work today.  We created next to nothing because we couldn't make the ball stick up front. It's clear without a proper number 10 that the usual 'system' won't work.  JRC was completely ineffective. Armstrong and Downing can't play it either.  In fact, for the second home game on the bounce, Downing was poor in the middle.  Strange TM wasn't willing to risk Buckley there.  

Seasons gone now (tbh it went when Dack got injured). 

Time for 4-4-2 and integrate some young players, see if they're good enough. Would like to see Davenport and Travis play a few in the middle together with JRC or Chapman wide right and Downing wide left.  Two up top and we may as well try two of Gallagher/Armstrong/Brereton - With the other one on the bench.  Phase out Graham  now.

I agree with this. Let's just commit to the kids. We've got little other option.

Play two up top with Gallagher and Armstrong. Get Davenport some game time.

We might catch a few hidings but at least we'll know a bit more about the team.

I'm waiting for a couple of defensive injustices, then we will really start worrying.

• Like 5

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

We defended well but Fulham totally dominated the game.

Possession was Rovers 46.8 Fulham 53.2. Shots Fulham had 11 Rovers 4. 

Fulham had only a couple of good chances. That's it. Thought Nyambe, Lenihan and Bell did very well.with their man to be totally fair

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree with this. Let's just commit to the kids. We've got little other option.

Play two up top with Gallagher and Armstrong. Get Davenport some game time.

We might catch a few hidings but at least we'll know a bit more about the team.

I'm waiting for a couple of defensive injustices, then we will really start worrying.

Exactly.  Good opportunity for a few to sink or swim.  Doesn't matter if we finish 7th or 20th in the scheme of things.  

26 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Today was another shot shy, dull game on a cold and dire afternoon

I thought Nyambe was outstanding today, possibly the best game I’ve seen him play and whilst travis also played well I couldn’t believe my ears when he got man of the match. The team fought hard and pressed well but where poor in possession. I was also surprised how well Armstrong did at winning the ball and his hold up play against a big centre half. Lenihan was very good defensively but gave the ball away sloppily at times.

johnson was woeful and davenport really needs to get a proper chance in the middle with travis.  Walton has potential but at the minute it is just that and to many times looked nervous under pressure. 

Rankin Costello didn’t have any effect on the game but I’m not going to comment more on a young lad still learning his trade against far superior players but substituting him was the right decision and hopefully the experience will do him good.

The substitutions 

graham made a difference when he came on and is criminally underused by mr Mowbray. Bremerton only got a few minutes but still managed to show how little bottle he has by wimping out of headers and Samuel is the same Samuel I remember struggling in league one. Two poor players who are lucky to have a squad number.

Gallagher gets some unfair stick imo. Every man with eyes can see he can’t play the position he is being asked to but he still gives 100% which brings me to my last point. The manager.  We have injuries, we are playing (on paper) a better team and the game was so poor because that’s exactly how Tony wanted the players to play. It was obvious before the interview he did. The players did as they were told and as Gary bowyer once or twice said gave it a good go. However , the Blackburn rovers I know and fell in love with isn’t a team that gets set up to nullify games at home. We should be on the front foot and going for a win whenever we play at Ewood. This is exactly what fans like myself get so mad about. If we are to get out of this league we need belief that we can beat these teams. Christ, we should at least try. One shot on target that I can remember isn’t good enough and if Dack and Rothwell played it would have been the same story because Tony is far to negative And cautious  and it cost us a relegation and it will cost us any chance of promotion. It won’t excite fans and bring them back to Ewood, if anything it will stop already committed fans renewing.  Boring, turgid crap football and ffs get Gallagher up front, on the bench or on the transfer list and play a winger who can beat a man and cross a ball. Why is he trying to cross to Armstrong. Surly his size and strength is his main attribute that needs utilising in the right way. 

We were good out of possession today but with the ball absolutely clueless and that’s down to Tony. As long as he his hear it’s going to Be more poor signings, players out of position, boring uninspired football, we gave it a go nearly men. I don’t care how nice he is he can’t take us forward and his interview saying Costello would never be a Dack in a million years must have done his confidence the world of good. I will give him credit for actually giving the lad a game. I’m sorry but Tony hasn’t got what we need.

Good post.

When Mowbray does finally leave everyone will say the same thing: “Do you remember when we used to have Gallagher trying to cross the ball to Armstrong?”

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Possession was Rovers 46.8 Fulham 53.2. Shots Fulham had 11 Rovers 4. 

Fulham had only a couple of good chances. That's it. Thought Nyambe, Lenihan and Bell did very well.with their man to be totally fair

So we defended well.

But Fulham controlled the game.

Ive not issue with how we started, but surely we at least need to swap Gally and Armstrong at some time long before they inevitably scored.

• Like 2

I thought it was a very tight game with one goal always likely to settle it.  Personally, I thought we didn't do too badly with the number of injuries to our creative players.  Fulham were better in possession but didn't create that many clear cut chances.

Travis was excellent and I thought Lenihan and Nyambe had decent games.  JRC didn't do too badly in a different role for him.  As Mowbray said in his interview, he's not a Dack or Holtby but has other attributes that he brings to the game and that it's a case of adopting a different style for the team whilst we are without the injured players - which seems fair comment.

A disappointing result but I thought it wasn't all doom and gloom.  There were positives, particularly the performance of our younger players, and on the whole I didn't think we did too badly against a side that could well be destined for automatic promotion.

• Like 3

I'm livid with that today. Complete shite. Again. Only a crap Gallagher header onto the roof of the net the only attempt on goal (on or off target) until about the 80th minute. We chased shadows, handed possession straight back - usually with terrible passing or unadventurous play, slip ups and mistakes a plenty. No sub made until after we went behind - even though that non-system clearly wasn't working.  It is utter shit and it IS our style of play far too often.

Mowbray was happy with it though. We played really well apparently and he felt the plan worked.  Actually, happy apart from us not getting crosses into the box after the subs...mainly from a right-footed striker who he is absolutely killing on the right wing, who was shifted onto the left wing - I actually feel really sorry for the lad.  Is it rocket science to have a young, fast out-and-out winger on the bench instead of an array of 'strikers' ?

Anyway, we won't amount to anything under that fucking idiot, he is deluded beyond words. Our chance for change passed; so we have to ride the season out with more turgid, cagey performances when we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Gutted. Frustrated. Fed up.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Good post.

When Mowbray does finally leave everyone will say the same thing: “Do you remember when we used to have Gallagher trying to cross the ball to Armstrong?”

But for now, some will simply mock and sneer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I thought it was a very tight game with one goal always likely to settle it.  Personally, I thought we didn't do too badly with the number of injuries to our creative players.  Fulham were better in possession but didn't create that many clear cut chances.

Travis was excellent and I thought Lenihan and Nyambe had decent games.  JRC didn't do too badly in a different role for him.  As Mowbray said in his interview, he's not a Dack or Holtby but has other attributes that he brings to the game and that it's a case of adopting a different style for the team whilst we are without the injured players - which seems fair comment.

A disappointing result but I thought it wasn't all doom and gloom.  There were positives, particularly the performance of our younger players, and on the whole I didn't think we did too badly against a side that could well be destined for automatic promotion.

I love reading your opinion and particularly look for your posts as they are well written, fair and you clearly have a good knowledge of the game and all things rovers. I would ask though, regardless of injuries and the opposition , at home, one half baked shot from Gallagher 20 minutes from time doesn’t strike you as worrying  ? With the ball we looked clueless until the substitions  when we reverted to hoofing at the big lads, hardly a tactical masterclass and something big Sam got slated for. So the question is are you happy with watching a manager serve up football with so little entertainment and virtually no goal threat. And it isn’t a one off through injuries or opposition 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Absolutely bang on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

What do you make of Gallagher on the wing Parson?