BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brereton goal!

Glad he scored but we didn’t splash out on a striker for him to be playing on a Monday lunchtime down at Brockhall. 

As @tomphil says above the goal can do him no harm, but it’s worrying to read other comments saying he still doesn’t look to have the basics. 

Now that the transfer window is closed and he hasn’t gone out on loan (which I think would have been best for all parties), I don’t know where we go from here.....

• Like 2

Just now, frosty said:

Glad he scored but we didn’t splash out on a striker for him to be playing on a Monday lunchtime down at Brockhall. 

As @tomphil says above the goal can do him no harm, but it’s worrying to read other comments saying he still doesn’t look to have the basics. 

Now that the transfer window is closed and he hasn’t gone out on loan (which I think would have been best for all parties), I don’t know where we go from here.....

It grated me a bit when Sharpe tweeted ' That's what you pay 6 million for '.

Really ?  He's spent too much time being brainwashed at Brockhall I think.

• Like 3

Nice goal, but it caught my eye how paggered he looked after it in the celebrations. Absolutely huffing and puffing. Makes me question what all these piddly cameos and never having a starting run (at least not for a long time or ever in his real position) has done to his match fitness. 

Been saying for a while he looks like a player very short on confidence. Hopefully this gets him going, if he is given the chance to capitalise on it properly in the first team.

That said, I'd still be concerned to see him starting...

Should have gone on loan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

Too be fair if we had not spent so much money on him or he had come through the academy- We would this we had a star on our hands. 

Steady on.

I get what you are alluding to though but big Ben has gone backwards badly since arriving here and i'm not sure it's all down to the fee.

Still hold out a bit of hope but i really think the first 6 months of next season he needs to be getting regular games somewhere first.

17 hours ago, tomphil said:

It grated me a bit when Sharpe tweeted ' That's what you pay 6 million for '.

Really ?  He's spent too much time being brainwashed at Brockhall I think.

In all of our spectacularly low standards under the clickers this has to be amongst the lowest. 

Edit of all the things in the transfer window Bereton not going on loan was arguably the worst. Even if we paid all of his wages it would still be better for us as he would be getting game time away from the pressure and at little risk to us. Goodness knowns he won't develop with the odd 15 minute cameo. And in terms of ability he has 3 strikers ahead of him, several.wingers, and I think Samuel is actually a better player too so we  won't miss him. I think Bereton is poor but blimey we're doing everything to ensure he doesn't come good. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AshleyClifford said:

Too be fair if we had not spent so much money on him or he had come through the academy- We would this we had a star on our hands. 

Wow huge statement, based on u23 appearances I’d say he would be behind Butterworth Vale and Mols plus Nuttall if he was still here, not to mention Armstrong, Gallagher, Graham and Samuel. 

Is it a confidence issue or did he get the move after his career highlight performance against Arsenal? Hardly creating headlines and banging them in for forest.

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

In all of our spectacularly low standards under the clickers this has to be amongst the lowest. 

Edit of all the things in the transfer window Bereton not going on loan was arguably the worst. Even if we paid all of his wages it would still be better for us as he would be getting game time away from the pressure and at little risk to us. Goodness knowns he won't develop with the odd 15 minute cameo. And in terms of ability he has 3 strikers ahead of him, several.wingers, and I think Samuel is actually a better player too so we  won't miss him. I think Bereton is poor but blimey we're doing everything to ensure he doesn't come good. 

Sums up the club at the min though they know they aren't going anywhere this season so he's probably been promised some game time as the season peters out. There'll be a few getting a look in who haven't to help them get fixed up somewhere else and no doubt maybe get another generous contract here. 

Possibly even at the expense of some of our kids, that's where we are at now. 100% look after the players best you can first even if it means carrying them and their wages making us unable to bring others in. Not sure what it says about some of these players and the contracts they are on when they'd rather sit it out than go somewhere and play. 

It's not a holiday camp but it seems far too easy going and set up to plod at the min whilst everyone does alright out of it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AshleyClifford said:

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he would look good if we hadn't spent £6 million on him alright. 

These comments are a serious stretch. The fee has intensified criticism of him, yes. But if he had just come through our academy and played like he has, we would be saying he was promising, and hope for him to press on over the next year or two. We wouldn't be saying he looks good, or a star. I think he'd be regarded in the Buckley bracket at the very best, or possibly more in the Mols bracket (who is rarely talked about, though some here insist he is better than BB).

He is behind so many players in the pecking order in pure football terms, fee aside. In fact if he hadn't cost so much he would have had nowhere near his number of first team appearances. On the other hand, the lack of pressure may have improved those performances.

Maybe he can still come good, but I think this will 90 percent come down to psychology and that the club aren't doing him any favours in that area.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Let's give the young lad some credit instead of harping on with negativity.

Great to see him work hard and get a goal, and Hilton and Thompson do so well.

To be fair, people have given him credit, but fans are concerned as we have spent a lot of our money on this guy and subsequently have concerns re FFP. Also, for one reason and another, he hasn’t delivered.

When can he stand up on his own two feet and be judged as a full member of the squad?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

To be fair, people have given him credit, but fans are concerned as we have spent a lot of our money on this guy and subsequently have concerns re FFP. Also, for one reason and another, he hasn’t delivered.

When can he stand up on his own two feet and be judged as a full member of the squad?

I missed that