BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brereton goal!

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I missed that 

2 posts in this thread, towards the top..

I think the overwhelming emotion with him is one of frustration.

It’s not his fault he cost what he did.

It’s not his fault the manager plays him out wide.

But, for our sake, we need him to start delivering, as we can’t buy anyone else because we’ve waxed a lot of money on him...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

2 posts in this thread, towards the top..

I think the overwhelming emotion with him is one of frustration.

It’s not his fault he cost what he did.

It’s not his fault the manager plays him out wide.

But, for our sake, we need him to start delivering, as we can’t buy anyone else because we’ve waxed a lot of money on him...

This thread? Read a few down and they are all pretty scathing to be honest. 

I think he needs to show more fire in his belly. He strikes me as laid back and not fond of the physical side. Without supreme raw talent, that won't get you far at this level. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This thread? Read a few down and they are all pretty scathing to be honest. 

I think he needs to show more fire in his belly. He strikes me as laid back and not fond of the physical side. Without supreme raw talent, that won't get you far at this level. 

I know that, but there were two posts containing praise, in fairness.

I agree that is something that appears to be lacking from his game. Fire in his belly and all that!

You can soon put the fire out in a 19 year olds belly when his wages are trebled overnight and he can buy a 600k house with his signing on fee !

Especially when he probably wasn't that good yet in the first place.  Major bollock dropped for a host of reasons by people who are experienced enough to know better.  Then again we all know something wasn't quite right about this one and it would only likely happen under this ownership.

Please nobody highlight Davies or Grabbi both had pedigree of some sort previously.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You can soon put the fire out in a 19 year olds belly when his wages are trebled overnight and he can buy a 600k house with his signing on fee !

Especially when he probably wasn't that good yet in the first place.  Major bollock dropped for a host of reasons by people who are experienced enough to know better.  Then again we all know something wasn't quite right about this one and it would only likely happen under this ownership.

Please nobody highlight Davies or Grabbi both had pedigree of some sort previously.

Grabbi did, but to be fair Davies record at Southampton wasn't hugely better than Breretons at Forest. Completely agree the whole thing is odd though and it is hard to see the move working out spectacularly from here, as we all agree though, I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Grabbi did, but to be fair Davies record at Southampton wasn't hugely better than Breretons at Forest. Completely agree the whole thing is odd though and it is hard to see the move working out spectacularly from here, as we all agree though, I hope I am wrong. 

Davies had pace and was strong that stood out. Had a bit of experience in the rough and tumble league as well. That's something that would have done Ben the world of good I think 

To be fair the injury was really bad luck as he'd had an ok pre season. Not that he was going to used correctly anyway though seeing as they'd bought Gallagher as well. That's the world we live in at the moment though.

If I was at Rovers I'd try and find somewhere , anywhere to get him games. Pay his full whack and just let them the other club cover expenses and insurance or whatever.

Games and experience are invaluable to him now. Especially when they've invested so much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Davies had pace and was strong that stood out. Had a bit of experience in the rough and tumble league as well. That's something that would have done Ben the world of good I think 

To be fair the injury was really bad luck as he'd had an ok pre season. Not that he was going to used correctly anyway though seeing as they'd bought Gallagher as well. That's the world we live in at the moment though.

If I was at Rovers I'd try and find somewhere , anywhere to get him games. Pay his full whack and just let them the other club cover expenses and insurance or whatever.

Games and experience are invaluable to him now. Especially when they've invested so much.

He probably should have been loaned out straight away after we signed him permanently in January. Give him 6 months at League 1 level. Back then for pre-season. 

• Like 1

With Gallagher, Armstrong, DG, even Samuel we have options so for me it was a no brainer that he should’ve been loaned out. 

90 minutes of competitive football, once, twice a week is what he desperately needs. Playing glorified practice matches at training grounds is not going to develop him one iota. Two years of his career will soon have disappeared and unless there were no takers I can’t fathom why he’s still here.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Its almost impossible to work this one out, but yet again, we have a player being signed and it seems to be for the benefits of other people and not for the club.

Each time this happens, I think I hope this is the last one, but it never is. There are still dark forces at work and until we are rid of the owners, strange happenings like this, will carry on.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2020 at 12:16, Bigdoggsteel said:

Grabbi did, but to be fair Davies record at Southampton wasn't hugely better than Breretons at Forest.

Kevin Davies at Southampton.

24 starts / 12 goals (11 premier league)

Brereton - 41 starts / 9 goals.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 12:16, Bigdoggsteel said:

9 goals in 20 Premier League starts in his one season at Southampton.

Brereton 8 goals in 38 league starts at Forest at the level below.

I'd suggest Davies record was far better. More goals, in around half the games at the level above.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

9 goals in 20 Premier League starts in his one season at Southampton.

Brereton 8 goals in 38 league starts at Forest at the level below.

I'd suggest Davies record was far better. More goals, in around half the games at the level above.

Yeah sorry. Misread that Stat. It was 9 in 20 Premier League starts which is a very good return. 

His form at Chesterfield is actually not great statistically with 22 goals in 113 starts, although that is a lot of football league games for a 20 year old too have played.

Therefore he had more experience than Brereton, and was scoring at an almost 1 in 2 rate in the Premier League, including a goal of the season contender at Everton. Whilst many people questioned the Brereton signing, I think there was genuine excitement at Davies' arrival. 

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

Yeah sorry. Misread that Stat. It was 9 in 20 Premier League starts which is a very good return. 

His form at Chesterfield is actually not great statistically with 22 goals in 113 starts, although that is a lot of football league games for a 20 year old too have played.

Therefore he had more experience than Brereton, and was scoring at an almost 1 in 2 rate in the Premier League, including a goal of the season contender at Everton. Whilst many people questioned the Brereton signing, I think there was genuine excitement at Davies' arrival. 

Beyond the price tag ,taking into consideration he was meant to replace Shearer, I sincerely doubt there was genuine excitement. More hope. 

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Beyond the price tag ,taking into consideration he was meant to replace Shearer, I sincerely doubt there was genuine excitement. More hope. 

He arrived 2 years after Shearer had left. He had just a very good first season in the premier league and was only 21. He was regarded as one of the top young strikers in English football.

Of course there was genuine excitement.

You need to remember he wasn't the immobile battering ram he ended up being. In that first spell at Southampton he looked like a player who could run and dribble with the ball at pace.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

On 06/02/2020 at 02:17, Mattyblue said:

With Gallagher, Armstrong, DG, even Samuel we have options so for me it was a no brainer that he should’ve been loaned out. 

90 minutes of competitive football, once, twice a week is what he desperately needs. Playing glorified practice matches at training grounds is not going to develop him one iota. Two years of his career will soon have disappeared and unless there were no takers I can’t fathom why he’s still here.

I don’t know if I would call that options. 6 goals between Graham and Gallagher all season. How much football has Samuel played since he got injured nearly 2 years ago? It’s unlikely that Graham and Samuel are here next season either. 

Ben needs to be given a run in the side and preferably up top. Better give him a run now when we are relatively safe and expectations are low due to injuries than next season where there will be a lot of unknowns.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 18:54, Hasta said:

He arrived 2 years after Shearer had left. He had just a very good first season in the premier league and was only 21. He was regarded as one of the top young strikers in English football.

Of course there was genuine excitement.

You need to remember he wasn't the immobile battering ram he ended up being. In that first spell at Southampton he looked like a player who could run and dribble with the ball at pace.

I was hyped when we signed Kevin Davies but I don't remember him ever having a good game for us. Similar to Brereton, he looked like a little boy lost and never made an impact. I think he scored four goals in one reserve game once but still couldn't do it for the first-team. He laboured under the weight of his £7m price-tag, picked up niggling injuries and went down with tonsillitis. His only goal was an absolute scuffer against Charlton. It wasn't until Allardyce reinvented him into a stereotypical targetman that he got his career back on track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amo said:

I was hyped when we signed Kevin Davies but I don't remember him ever having a good game for us. Similar to Brereton, he looked like a little boy lost and never made an impact. I think he scored four goals in one reserve game once but still couldn't do it for the first-team. He laboured under the weight of his £7m price-tag, picked up niggling injuries and went down with tonsillitis. His only goal was an absolute scuffer against Charlton. It wasn't until Allardyce reinvented him into a stereotypical targetman that he got his career back on track.

Pretty much spot on that.

I knew someone who was related by marriage to Kevin and he privately conceded that his bottle went when he played for Rovers and - maybe as a consequence - he was eating and drinking too much as well. Allardyce also helped sort that side of things out for him, having had a similar experience during his own career.

• Like 1