BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Hull

Bennett gets no grief at games, I’ve not known a manager as backed as TM since Mark Hughes.

The internet is not real life and it annoys me when narratives are then spun in column pieces and by prominent Twitter fans that Rovers supporters are a mob of foaming at the mouth abusers. Absolutely not the case, in fact I’d go as  far to say we are more patient than most.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Some time ago, when Bennett was idolised on here as a man of the people because he DOES care about the club, I asked if people were being sucked in a bit by his good social media skills (just to temper the enthusiasm), because I KNEW this day would arrive, whereby he'd become some sort of conspiring villain to stay in the team (which isn't the case anyway!). I think it says more about online behaviour by "supporters" than it does about Elliott Bennett who, while not the perfect player, clearly does put his all into the club and has done absolutely nothing to deserve some of the flack. Criticise, yes, but this "best mates with Mowbray" stuff and "sat on a wage" is bollocks and typical scapegoat-inventing.

Same with Richie Smallwood... After what he did for the team in League One, I thought he deserved a chance to show if he could do it a level higher. It turned out fairly quickly that he was off the pace, but going from King of Ewood to a "sponger of the club" is simply not a nice thing to say about somebody who, again, gives his best.

Same with Tony Mowbray... Do some people on here REALISE where the hell we were heading before he came in?! I seriously do not think the penny has dropped, and I often wince at what they must think after all of these guys have tried to their utmost to get us back to where we belong. Of course, after Owen Coyle was through with our club just three years ago and set us on a downward spiral to League One, I can certainly see how being in the top-half of the Championship today is not good enough and, well, "just f*ck off Mowbray"... ? Be careful what you wish for, people.

The thing was, Bennett was particularly prevalent at a time when the club was in a promotion season, it was always positive, basically every tweet was a victorious one, its going to only attract positivity. The problem is there will always be a time after negative results that if you are constantly on social media, "we go again" etc whilst some will see it as a noble act it will sometimes provoke and antagonise fans who have paid their money and are hurting. I am not justifying it but with football fans (not just ours) when emotions are high this kind of thing does tend to rear its ugly head. I personally would be happy to see footballers come off social media but of course thats taking away their rights. I remember Shane Duffy copped some flak on twitter (prior to the very sour end) and you compare the 2, Duffy was a very competent defender that moved up, Bennett is struggling at this level.

The comments about him being "Mowbrays mate" are because that, across various lengths of time, many of the League 1 stalwarts not up to this level, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Williams etc have been jettisoned by the manager, Bennett is very much in that bracket yet until recently, when tension with fans etc has actually eased, he was not only still a regular but he was just being shunted in what ever position was left and repeatedly proving to be a liability.

As I said, Mowbray was somewhat sentimental giving Smallwood a chance but after half a season Mowbray deserves credit for promoting Travis ans upgrading. I personally understand and empathise with players reluctant to give up financially healthy contracts that they feel they have earnt but can understand why others dont. That said its easy to say when its not you.

People appreciate what Mowbray did initially, to suggest that he is not the man now for us to progress doesnt take that away.

23 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Same with Tony Mowbray... Do some people on here REALISE where the hell we were heading before he came in?! ?

Errr......League 1 - exactly the same place as we ended up AFTER he came in?

Edit: Amo beat me to it!

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

League One. Which is exactly where Mowbray took us. ?

On 51 points. Goal difference vs Notts Forest,

15 games. Of which he lost 3. He gained us nearly 50% of our points that season.

We were gone, he took it to the last minute.

If someone took over Wigan RIGHT NOW would you say they “took them down”? Similar situation.

This is a ridiculously bad faith argument. 

Seems there is enough to criticise TM for without rewriting history.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Bennett gets no grief at games, I’ve not known a manager as backed as TM since Mark Hughes.

The internet is not real life and it annoys me when narratives are then spun in column pieces and by prominent Twitter fans that Rovers supporters are a mob of foaming at the mouth abusers. Absolutely not the case, in fact I’d go as  far to say we are more patient than most.

In fairness to the twitter geezer he's more on about how this board is a mob of foaming at the mouth abusers and not our fan base as a whole.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Come on... We were virtually relegated at a canter by the time Coyle was sacked. I think you're both being unfair, but each to their own.

Virtually relegated? We were 3 points from safety with 15 games to go. There are plenty of clubs who have been in that situation that have stayed up, let's not rewrite history and make out that Mowbray took on mission impossible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

In fairness to the twitter geezer he's more on about how this board is a mob of foaming at the mouth abusers and not our fan base as a whole.

I actually don’t mean the Screen Grabber. But some of the other ones (you’ll know who I mean as it’s re-tweet central).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Not like us on here to not realise how good a manager we actually have is it?

Personally don’t think he’s close to Big Sam’s class, his removal was a disaster for this football club, would TM’s?

But probably the best we’ve had since relegation (not sure if I’m trying to damn him with faint praise or not with that statement).

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Personally don’t think he’s close to Big Sam’s class, his removal was a disaster for this football club, would TM’s?

But probably the best we’ve had since relegation (not sure if I’m trying to damn him with faint praise or not with that statement).

More likely than not IMO.

Mowbray is so under appreciated on here and we’d end up with Steve Evans or summat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

15 games. Of which he lost 3. He gained us nearly 50% of our points that season.

If someone took over Wigan RIGHT NOW would you say they “took them down”? Similar situation.

He came in with a difficult task but he failed in achieving it. He showed enough to warrant continuing of course but all of this extrapolating of his results is flawed, it wouldnt work out like that, many of our final games were v teams with nothing to play for and the fact that we came so close baring in mind some of the results, the collapse v Preston, the dismal performance v Barnsley, the drab draw v Bristol City (all at home) combined with how close we came to staying up showed that it was achievable. He had a difficult task and he failed it. He wasnt the protagonist to our relegation of course.

I think failed to prevent relegation is a fairer evaluation.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He came in with a difficult task but he failed in achieving it. He showed enough to warrant continuing of course but all of this extrapolating of his results is flawed, it wouldnt work out like that, many of our final games were v teams with nothing to play for and the fact that we came so close baring in mind some of the results, the collapse v Preston, the dismal performance v Barnsley, the drab draw v Bristol City (all at home) combined with how close we came to staying up showed that it was achievable. He had a difficult task and he failed it. He wasnt the protagonist to our relegation of course.

I think failed to prevent relegation is a fairer evaluation.

Fair.

The ”Mowbray took us down” quip doesn’t half rile me though.

Even his harshest and most myopic critic must be glad it wasn’t Coyle leading the team out at Southend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

More likely than not IMO.

Mowbray is so under appreciated on here and we’d end up with Steve Evans or summat.

Sam’s removal was part of a cataclysmic event that we still haven’t got close to recovering from a near decade later. He continued to manage at the top level for years after.

TM is a solid enough Championship manager. There are many out there of his ilk, at this level if the team stagnates or declines, you roll the dice, that’s the Championship. The fact you think a Steve Evans type would get appointed (and you’re right, they might) so we need to keep TM just in case the fools do something ridiculous says more about the club then the fact we’ve got a gem of a manager ( to turn a phrase) we need to cherish.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Sam’s removal was part of a cataclysmic event that we still haven’t got close to recovering from a near decade later. He continued to manage at the top level for years after.

TM is a solid enough Championship manager. There are many out there of his ilk, at this level if the team stagnates or declines, you roll the dice, that’s the Championship. The fact you think a Steve Evans type would get appointed (and you’re right, they might) so we need to keep TM just in case the fools do something ridiculous says more about the club then the fact we’ve got a gem of a manager ( to turn a phrase) we need to cherish.

No, I do genuinely think we have a criminally underrated and under-appreciated manager (on here)

32 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Mowbray was brought in to keep us up. He failed. There’s nothing revisionist about that. 

• Like 2

Mowbray's tenure is reminiscent of Bowyer's, except he has spent more money in the transfer market.

I expect he will eventually leave under similar circumstances as, in my opinion, like Bowyer, he clearly isn't going to take us up another level.

He's stabilised the ship, fair play, but at some point it is likely that we will stop treading water and start drowning.

Many of the players we now need to ship out are his own signings.

For all his talk of a long term plan, if he is here in ten years time we still won't be in the Premier League, or anywhere near it.

His one promotion from this division pre - dates Owen Coyle's.

Enough said.

Add to this, some of the football at Ewood has been dire and is not going to fill empty seats anytime soon.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

No, I do genuinely think we have a criminally underrated and under-appreciated manager (on here)

I think he’s done fairly well and I’m certainly not clamouring for his sacking.

Yet, if we are down the bottom 6 next season, then for me he should go. That’s football, no sentiment, all about what’s best for the club. He’ll be pushing 4 years in the job (a long stint by modern standards) and things can go stale, players stop listening and all the rest of it.

However, part of me would be thinking what clown they’d replace him with and I’d be erring to keep him on. And that’s not normal.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2