BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Hull

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Bennett gets no grief at games, I’ve not known a manager as backed as TM since Mark Hughes.

The internet is not real life and it annoys me when narratives are then spun in column pieces and by prominent Twitter fans that Rovers supporters are a mob of foaming at the mouth abusers. Absolutely not the case, in fact I’d go as  far to say we are more patient than most.

Some just thrive off faux outrage and sometimes need to remember that these guys get very well paid to play football and get results. And the manager and his coaching staff get handsomely rewarded even if they underachieve or get sacked.

They are doing what they are paid to do they haven't elected to come and play for or manage BRFC for free despite loads of better offers because they love the club. Perish the thought paying supporters might want to discuss their observations without getting on their knees praying to the managers shrine.

Edited by tomphil

Thinking a little bit outside the box with the team selection this week. Thoughts ? 

Walton

Nyambe           Tosin     Lenihan       Williams

Chapman       Travis     Davenport    Bell

Downing

Armstong

Subs 

Leutwiller

Graham

Buckley

Mulgrew 

Gallacher 

Bennett 

Brereaton

Johnson

3 minutes ago, Prelude said:

Thinking a little bit outside the box with the team selection this week. Thoughts ? 

Walton

Nyambe           Tosin     Lenihan       Williams

Chapman       Travis     Davenport    Bell

Downing

Armstong

Subs 

Leutwiller

Graham

Buckley

Mulgrew 

Gallacher 

Bennett 

Brereaton

Johnson

A very firm no to Bell out wide. Contrary to myth, he is not a good attacking full back and he has absolutely nothing in terms of crossing and final ball. He played one at left back in League One and was awful.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A very firm no to Bell out wide. Contrary to myth, he is not a good attacking full back and he has absolutely nothing in terms of crossing and final ball. He played one at left back in League One and was awful.

He's been here for over two years now and I'm still trying to figure out what he is good at.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's been here for over two years now and I'm still trying to figure out what he is good at.

He’s a warm body and Del fucked himself by saying he didn’t want to play there anymore.

I’d say get back in the box @Prelude, Downing ain’t no 10 for me, Arma off Gallagher is best we’ve got atm.

8 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

He’s a warm body and Del fucked himself by saying he didn’t want to play there anymore.

I’d say get back in the box @Prelude, Downing ain’t no 10 for me, Arma off Gallagher is best we’ve got atm.

I think Armstrong is not really suited to number 10, being on the last man suits his pace (although not his inability to stay on side) and out wide allows him to stretch the play. Playing as a 10 requires a little more subtelty but doesnt allow him to fully utilise his pace. I would like to see him next to Graham but not just off him.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think Armstrong is not really suited to number 10, being on the last man suits his pace (although not his inability to stay on side) and out wide allows him to stretch the play. Playing as a 10 requires a little more subtelty but doesnt allow him to fully utilise his pace. I would like to see him next to Graham but not just off him.

Know what you’re saying.

Suppose I envisage more of a four four f’in two

The Mike Bassett in me sees big man little man and gets wet.

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Elliott Bennett hasn't started in our last five games, and prior to that, he was regularly substituted.

exactly and still some fans complain about him. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Id take Feeney over Gallagher on the wing any day and thats saying something. But its an unfair comparison because Gallagher is not a winger and has never had a good game there.

blimey you are willing to take anyone. Next you been willing to Keith Tracey next ?

2 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

With options limited this is how I would line up. Get some old fashioned crosses in the box. 

LINEUP111581350810812.png

I agree on the team

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Virtually relegated? We were 3 points from safety with 15 games to go. There are plenty of clubs who have been in that situation that have stayed up, let's not rewrite history and make out that Mowbray took on mission impossible.

lets not re writing history again. he got 22 points from 15 games. That's over a season would have got us 67 points. He had a poor squad to play with. 

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

I see JRC has pulled a hamstring.  Makes you wonder about our training methods.

He injured it during the game didn't he? 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Blimey you are obsess with Armstrong being offside but over looked Graham was caught offside during the last game. 

• Like 2

On 09/02/2020 at 15:13, roversfan99 said:

What team would everyone play on Tuesday night?

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Bell

Chapman Travis Davenport Downing

Graham Armstrong

Not ideal having Downing wide but in the absence of any competent wingers at least one of him and Armstrong will have to play there. Very much a pragmatic 442, not Armstrong as a number 10.

Johnson and Rankin Costello should be taken out. No more strikers out wide bollocks. No Samuel near the 18.

I would like to see Chapman and some of the other usual non starters given a go.

Our season is over (well it was back in August to be fair) so we may as well give some game time to others.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

exactly and still some fans complain about him. 

blimey you are willing to take anyone. Next you been willing to Keith Tracey next ?

I agree on the team

lets not re writing history again. he got 22 points from 15 games. That's over a season would have got us 67 points. He had a poor squad to play with. 

He injured it during the game didn't he? 

Blimey you are obsess with Armstrong being offside but over looked Graham was caught offside during the last game. 

Feeney is a League 1 standard winger. Absolutely no goal threat and one dimensional but at that level can impact games with assists on a fairly regular basis. 11 this season. Sam Gallagher is not League 1 standard when played as a winger. Probably not League 2 as a winger. He is not a winger full stop and cant play there. 

Armstrong was offside 3 or 4 times and also there were a couple of further occasions when he was stood offside and chose not to challenge but in turn our move broke down. He needs to improve this area of his game. One offside isnt a big deal.

You cant use a 15 game sample and stretch it across the season, it doesnt mean anything, it doesnt work like that and a few of the teams we beat including the last 2 had nothing to play for. He wasnt the main reason we went down and it would be wrong to suggest that. But he had a difficult job to do and he failed at it, just, thats the truth of the matter.  He then succeeded at promotion next season.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt do anything. Theres no point pretending otherwise just because hes young, its not a downbeat attitude, its just saying it as it happened.

I dont think Chapman is the "next Lionel Messi" at all, but the alternatives out wide are so poor (Gallagher out wide, Bennett etc) that a natural winger with pace is surely worth a go over tried and repeatedly failed alternatives. We are only left scraping the barrel due to the repeated inadequacies of the manager to address the problematic position, desperate to shoehorn poor strikers into that position instead.

He did the job he was to do against Fulham and, at Boro he did his defensive duties very well and that would have impressed the manager and his staff. That's he is willing to do the hard work defensive and not obsess with just his attacking play. 

Have you seen Chapman play for the under 23's this season? Ive seen him a couple of times, haven't impress me or his attitude. Others who have attend alot more than me have said similar things. We know that his attitude in training hasn't been impress the manager or that coaching staff. 

We have been over the transfer thing so we need to keep repeating daily?

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

No we are not.That's the narrative you are pushing.

By all accounts we went after two wingers in January but the finances on the deal weren't right. Gallagher isn't a poor player either and coupled with your "joke footballer" comment on another thread it'd be nice if you weren't so disrespectful to the lad. We can all have opinions but he tries his hardest every time he walks on the pitch for Rovers and that's more than can be said for Brereton and, indeed, Chapman. He's had several scaving reports during his time in the U23s and quite often whenever there's whispers of a bad attitude they aren't wrong. Never once heard a whisper about Gallagher's professionalism. 

We are desperately light on the wing because Downing has had to move centrally, Rothwell out now and Armstrong proving more effective up top. January showed that Mowbray is trying to address the problem so we can assume in the summer we can see some wide attackers brought in, providing the finances are right.

Yes we did go for a couple of wingers but the finances weren't right. 

I agree on the Gallagher and his attitude/professionalism compare to Chapman

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Downing was signed with the intention if playing in numerous positions, but with a lack of pace he has always looked most comfortable central. Armstrong was always seemingly being geared to be a striker.

Gallaghers ability in general we may disagree on but surely you agree that he should never be played wide. He has never once had a game that justifies it and to be fair I feel sorry for him being shunted there. But I am not just focusing on him. Brereton and Samuel are equally poor out wide if not even worse yet when they play it is often wide. Mowbray loves a wide forward but its never been an effective tactic and our goals have always mainly come from central areas. Why sign an actual winger and not even give him one start when we have no alternatives.

Im not interested in excuses from the previous window as its been an achilles heel through Mowbrays time.

With Downing crossing ability play him wide. Never had pace. 

It never been effective tactic? didn't wide not use it last season and this season with Armstrong. Or in League 1 with Antonsson. Mowbray has us within the top half and a chance of playoff place this season so something must be working. 

No you aren't interested in facts that the players were sadly not right financial term wise or clubs/players wanted too much wage wise. We don't sign players without scouting them properly or would you rather just sign a player without knowing him properly cos an Agent recommend him. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Armstrong was offside 3 or 4 times and also there were a couple of further occasions when he was stood offside and chose not to challenge but in turn our move broke down. He needs to improve this area of his game. One offside isnt a big deal.

You cant use a 15 game sample and stretch it across the season, it doesnt mean anything, it doesnt work like that and a few of the teams we beat including the last 2 had nothing to play for. He wasnt the main reason we went down and it would be wrong to suggest that. But he had a difficult job to do and he failed at it, just, thats the truth of the matter.  He then succeeded at promotion next season.

twice I think. Grabban or Watkins are offside alot more than Armstrong as been. 

Why cant I? cos you said so. 

Mowbray gave us a chance to survive and any other season we would have stay up. Yes Mowbray did get us up and it was very enjoyable season and I have some great memories from that season. I remember when people on here wanted him sacked after 10 games in that league 1 season

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

poor form

Poor Form? we are 11th in form table(last 6 games)

16 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Oh my... I got my facts wrong, in that case! I could have sworn he got a much better points return than that. Oopsie.

I don’t think anyone is arguing with the facts of what happened it’s just that painting Mowbray as the architect or ultimately “responsible” is just a bit of a pathetic way to justify a position. 

Even those saying it must know they are being a bit silly.

12 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Something to consider with Hull that nobody has really mentioned, but if we're feeling a bit flat, I think Hull will be feeling even flatter; while we had a non-existent window, Hull had a fairly active one, but a detrimental one. Jarrod Bowen is going to be a huge miss for them, and I don't think a League One midfielder on loan is going to patch that up. Still, there will be pressure on us to win it, given that we still have an outside chance at the top six.

Fuck. Just realised.

Been slagging Maddison off in the other thread.

He’s gonna tear Bell a new hole now.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's irrelevant how many points it would have got us over a season, the simple fact is he was tasked with the job of keeping us up with 15 games to play (32.5% of the season) and he failed. There are clubs who have been in similar or worse situations than 3 points adrift with 15 to play and have manged to stay up. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Poor Form? we are 11th in form table(last 6 games)

One point from our last 2 games is relegation form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's irrelevant how many points it would have got us over a season, the simple fact is he was tasked with the job of keeping us up with 15 games to play (32.5% of the season) and he failed. There are clubs who have been in similar or worse situations than 3 points adrift with 15 to play and have manged to stay up. 

One point from our last 2 games is relegation form.

Can’t tell if you’re being satirical but that is pretty funny ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Some time ago, when Bennett was idolised on here as a man of the people because he DOES care about the club, I asked if people were being sucked in a bit by his good social media skills (just to temper the enthusiasm), because I KNEW this day would arrive, whereby he'd become some sort of conspiring villain to stay in the team (which isn't the case anyway!). I think it says more about online behaviour by "supporters" than it does about Elliott Bennett who, while not the perfect player, clearly does put his all into the club and has done absolutely nothing to deserve some of the flack. Criticise, yes, but this "best mates with Mowbray" stuff and "sat on a wage" is bollocks and typical scapegoat-inventing.

Same with Richie Smallwood... After what he did for the team in League One, I thought he deserved a chance to show if he could do it a level higher. It turned out fairly quickly that he was off the pace, but going from King of Ewood to a "sponger of the club" is simply not a nice thing to say about somebody who, again, gives his best.

Same with Tony Mowbray... Do some people on here REALISE where the hell we were heading before he came in?! I seriously do not think the penny has dropped, and I often wince at what they must think after all of these guys have tried to their utmost to get us back to where we belong. Of course, after Owen Coyle was through with our club just three years ago and set us on a downward spiral to League One, I can certainly see how being in the top-half of the Championship today is not good enough and, well, "just f*ck off Mowbray"... ? Be careful what you wish for, people.

I was right with you until that bit in bold.

Before he came in we were heading for relegation from the Championship and we needed Warnock. Instead we got Mowbray and relegation was assured.

He was then given the biggest budget in the division and got us back up at the first attempt. Kudos and he earned his chance in the Championship. He didn’t live up to the hype last season and (like Waggott with ST sales) didn’t make the most of the momentum we had. We have now slipped backward since last Summer and our squad is going to need a complete rebuild in the Summer and another full season to gel, then the season after to see if that rebuild has worked.

I don’t believe that this will be successful and I fear a second relegation. Not this season but next.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He did the job he was to do against Fulham and, at Boro he did his defensive duties very well and that would have impressed the manager and his staff. That's he is willing to do the hard work defensive and not obsess with just his attacking play. 

Have you seen Chapman play for the under 23's this season? Ive seen him a couple of times, haven't impress me or his attitude. Others who have attend alot more than me have said similar things. We know that his attitude in training hasn't been impress the manager or that coaching staff. 

We have been over the transfer thing so we need to keep repeating daily?

Yes we did go for a couple of wingers but the finances weren't right. 

I agree on the Gallagher and his attitude/professionalism compare to Chapman

With Downing crossing ability play him wide. Never had pace. 

It never been effective tactic? didn't wide not use it last season and this season with Armstrong. Or in League 1 with Antonsson. Mowbray has us within the top half and a chance of playoff place this season so something must be working. 

No you aren't interested in facts that the players were sadly not right financial term wise or clubs/players wanted too much wage wise. We don't sign players without scouting them properly or would you rather just sign a player without knowing him properly cos an Agent recommend him. 

Yeah our attacking players shouldnt "obsess" about attacking duties!

Armstrong bar one month had an inconsistent and underwhelming season last season. His recent good form has been up front. Antonsson had a bit of a temporary hot spell then badly fizzled away post injury. But otherwise its not just last window  in which we have failed to sign competent wide men who naturally play there (Downing is best now centrally) and its really costing us now we are just devoid of options there.

Yeah we wouldnt want to sign a player for example for 7m based on a half decent performance against Derrick Williams in which the team he played for lost 1 nil! I would rather we scouted players that we could afford and had the competence and money to complete the deal.