BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Hull

I must admit that I really enjoyed that game on a bitterly cold night.  I felt the game should have been won by half-time with the possession and chances we created - plus we should have had a penalty with the holding at corners.

Second half started slowly but Mowbray's subs made a difference with both Brereton and Samuel showing up well.  Armstrong's goal was outstanding and he looked very good playing in the Dack role just behind the striker.

Once again Downing looked a class above anything on the pitch and I thought Johnson improved as the second half went on.

Hull looked poor but at the end of the day you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that comfortably in the end.

I thought all the officials were poor tonight.  The fourth official seemed to give one decision rather than the ref.  Quite how he missed the penalty when Brereton was brought down I don't know. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I ask who for you played well? Iv seen far more convincing and fluent 3-0 wins in my day 

Armstrong. Downing. Nyambe. Lenihan. Travis. Samuel and Brereton..

8 minutes ago, Butty said:

F**k me how poor are Hull? Selling Grosicki and Bowen was absolute madness, but at least they’ll have some cash to rebuild in the summer...   

Don't count on that. Hull look very short up front and wide areas. 

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good luck with that one, you deserve it to come in with optimism like that. I'd be laying it off for a no risk bet if we got within touching distance at any point.

Cheers Amigo!

If we make the playoffs we would probably be around 3/1. 

But if the odds come down a good bit would be nice to get my stake back, and still have a decent possible prize. 

• Backroom

The main thing that pleased me from tonight's result is that we actually picked up a win after a couple of disappointing results. I have to admit after 70 minutes I was fearful we were about to enter another death spiral, as failing to beat this Hull team at home would have been a really bad psychological blow. Coming away with a win helps break this vicious cycle we've been in of going on losing/drawing runs after a good run of form, and hopefully it's a good omen for the future at least. 

• Like 2

Be interesting to see what team we go with on Saturday. I think a 442 is the way to go for the rest of the season, although I appreciate we changed more to a 433 towards the end. Shame Rothwell wont be back as he could have slotted in for Bennett but a blessing that Gallagher wont be as he would have been put back on the wing.

The dilemma would be whether to keep Graham in or put in either Samuel or Brereton with Armstrong.

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not for long. At this point it's a matter of time before they fall out of the automatic spots. They seem to have mentally collapsed just like last season, and it'll be doubly psychologically damaging knowing it's happening for a second year in a row. At this rate they could genuinely fall out of the top six entirely, which would be hilarious. I imagine if they fail to go up again this season Bielsa will be gone as two implosions in consecutive seasons is surely unacceptable. 

Fulham away to Millwall tomorrow. No easy game but a win puts them 2nd and Leeds drop out of the automatic places.

At the end of last season there was a lot of talk of Bielsa walking, if they fail to get promoted this time, he will be off this time.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Saw enough from Breo give him a start next time out. Quick feet at times with players surrounding him, looked mobile and tried to get involved. Needs to learn to stay central instead of wandering about too much though!

His best game for us but he needs to focus on staying in and around the box if he's going to kick on. It's daft how deep and wide be drops.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Fulham away to Millwall tomorrow. No easy game but a win puts them 2nd and Leeds drop out of the automatic places.

At the end of last season there was a lot of talk of Bielsa walking, if they fail to get promoted this time, he will be off this time.

Wouldn't surprise me if he walked before the season ends if this form continues tbh, especially if they're in danger of dropping out of the top six entirely. From the position they were in it's truly remarkable. 

• Backroom

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18228187.it-wasnt-happening---mowbray-game-changing-double-switch/

For once comments from the manager I pretty much completely agree with (although I would have liked to know the logic behind starting Downing and Bennett on their opposite sides). Even praise for Rothwell in there!

• Like 1

Love reading the early part of the thread to the end and watching the swingometer of sentiment veer so wildly that even Peter Snow would struggle to keep up

1) We won 3-0

2) The forgotten men put in a good performance and one scored  

3) In spite of it ALL we are three points off the play off spots. 

Meanwhile my brother watched his team fumble their way to a 0-0 draw against AFC Wimbledon. The promotion certs led by the genius of a manager who thought he was too good for this place may not even get them in the play offs. Never mind, he has a five year contract. ?

I am very happy where we are in the League and the spirit that the team young and old are showing in spite of our injuries. 

• Like 6

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Meanwhile my brother watched his team fumble their way to a 0-0 draw against AFC Wimbledon. The promotion certs led by the genius of a manager who thought he was too good for this place may not even get them in the play offs. Never mind, he has a five year contract. ?

Wow, just looked, didn't realise they were even out the playoff places.

Good old Lambert sprinkling his magic pixie dust. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

4 wins in 20 games for Ipswich now I believe, so yeah, Lambo not exactly endearing himself to the Ipswich faithful. Say what you will about Mowbray but after a shaky start he had no problem getting us straight out of League 1, and I think it was tougher then than it is now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

overall- very poor , glossed over by an absolutely terrible hull team- currently relegation form and would go down had they not a cushion from first half of season. We weren’t fluid whatsoever, laboured and dull. I worry for remainder of season, we were lucky we didn’t concede.

I thought we played well in the 1st half, and created 4 or 5 good chances, and much of this was down to Bennett's incredible work ethic and tenacity. 

Admittedly, when he was in positions to score or create chances, he was found wanting but he covered every blade in the 1st half. 

Graham also played his part in a strong opening 30 min., setting up 2 or 3 of the early chances. Poor finishing distracted and detracted from a solid 1st 45 from most of the team. Armstrong and Johnson's chances were poor finishes.

2nd half, Nyambe and Travis carried on the good work, despite allowing Hull to have a good 15 min of pressure. Johnson learned from Saturday, kept it simple, and retained the ball somewhat better.

Mowbray did well to make the substitutions early as Graham & Benno both tired. Hull really couldn't live with the attacking intent, pace and willingness of Brereton & Samuel, although put a football at either of their feet and they will trip over it, 9 times out of 10. Good sub options only, for me. 

Defence look increasingly solid, if not yet perfect. Walton has surprised me with his consistency, ball handling & excellent kicking. 

I'm frustrated by our lack of intent & ambition to push on from 8th position, you'll see what I mean over the next few games, but you never know in the most open Championship run-in I have ever witnessed.

I know it might be provocative trolling but to call it 'very poor, laboured and dull' and to say there was little to enjoy is somewhat negative and overly downbeat. 

Most fans cannot fail to enjoy a 3 nil win, regardless of understandable reservations.

I live for nights like this and hats off to the few of us that braved the cold, to be rewarded with that AA screamer, talk about joy and relief. 

Brilliant! 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

I'm frustrated by our lack of intent & ambition to push on from 8th position, you'll see what I mean over the next few games,

And there's the rub.... should I make the long trip to Charlton and Brentford knowing Tony is dabbing his nose and our current position is as high as we will go? 

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

And there's the rub.... should I make the long trip to Charlton and Brentford knowing Tony is dabbing his nose and our current position is as high as we will go? 

The answer to that is yes, as we'll play well and could easily win.

My point about ambition relates more to Mowbray's ability to become somewhat less ambitious when we reach 8th place, when we possibly need to risk dropping to 11th by being more adventurous, and at least giving ourselves the chance of scraping into 6th. 

All of the above combined with our inability to replace Dack & Holtby with one expensive but quality signing in Jan.

That's why we'll end 11th, rather than 6th, but it won't stop me dreaming until it's not mathematically possible. 

I'd love a trip to Wembley, and you know what happens when we get to Wembley.....

Edited by garnersfags
Typo