BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Hull

Though only a cameo - best we have seen from Brereton. He had amazing support from BE - but did wonder how much of that was ironic ?. Good noise at times (esp second half) considering weather and turn out.

Hull were average at best - but thought we put in a good performance. Though Armstrong got MOM - have to say Travis not far behind - and is getting better with each match.

One really important aspect of last nights win and performance was the balance of the team. Personally I would have swapped Downing and Bennett but that aside we had players who know the positions they are playing which gave us a solidity from a defensive point of view and good options going forward. Even when Brereton came on he played down the middle and pretty much everybody agrees he had arguably his best twenty minutes in a Rovers shirt. With Gallagher being out for the Charlton game it will hopefully force Mowbrays hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

73 minutes of pure frustration, 73 minutes of being unable to breach Hull academy’s back line. We may have had a lot of the ball but it was all huff and puff with very little quality.

73 minutes of being unable to breach Hull’s back line... except for at least 3 clear cut chances, including 2 point blank saves from their keeper. 

We dominated the ball, nullified the opposition and created more than enough chances to have had the game won by halftime. If that’s not good enough for you then I just don’t know what you’re looking for ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I didn't really enjoy the first half, sure we had a lot of possession and a few chances but I felt we were in for another of those nights.

I get that sense that it was going to be one of those nights - there was a point just before the first goal where I said that myself.  Armstrong’s first chance potentially came too early for him, as you’d normally back him to tuck that one away, and a number of other promising situations in the first half seemed to fall to Bennett, who is probably the last player you want them to fall to, but, other than actually score earlier, I’m not sure what more Rovers could have done last night. 

To be honest, having been at both games, I’d say that last nights performance was more dominant than the 5-0 at Sheff Weds. The only difference was that the flurry of goals came late instead of early. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

73 minutes of being unable to breach Hull’s back line... except for at least 3 clear cut chances, including 2 point blank saves from their keeper. 

We dominated the ball, nullified the opposition and created more than enough chances to have had the game won by halftime. If that’s not good enough for you then I just don’t know what you’re looking for ?‍♂️

I get that sense that it was going to be one of those nights - there was a point just before the first goal where I said that myself.  Armstrong’s first chance potentially came too early for him, as you’d normally back him to tuck that one away, and a number of other promising situations in the first half seemed to fall to Bennett, who is probably the last player you want them to fall to, but, other than actually score earlier, I’m not sure what more Rovers could have done last night. 

To be honest, having been at both games, I’d say that last nights performance was more dominant than the 5-0 at Sheff Weds. The only difference was that the flurry of goals came late instead of early. 

Couldn't agree more. Had that early chance gone in it could have been a cricket score last night. 

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I watched them in the FA Cup against Arsenal. In the first half they over ran Arsenal and played really well. It's been downhill ever since then.

In fairness we played pretty well against various PL teams in the cup under GB, but were still underwhelming in the league. Easy to get motivated for a one off game against a big team, much harder to do so for the mundane grind of the league. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What a great result. I would almost say ruthless.

Armstrong is better and more important than Dack now. Anyone disagree?

Have we a quality defence now? Stats and clean sheets would suggest we do. 

How good is Lenigoal these days? Hard to see him here next season. 

Well I think if we'd have had Dack last night he would have buried a number of Danny Graham knock downs especially first half. 

My personal mood until the 70th minute was a bit meh in all honesty thinking that a against a good side we might well have struggled quite badly. Funny how 3 quick fire goals had me thinking that there were some decent individual performances that I might not have thought was the case until we scored. Goals change games as they say!

A look at our forthcoming fixture list which is pretty tough still leaves me thinking that we will come up quite well short in the final analysis as we simply cant withstand the loss of so many of our key players. 3 points off the play offs at least for 24 hours  makes me think how very regrettable our January transfer activity was and how we will be looking back in May with a ''what might have been''. Quite what Venkys will think looking back is anybody's guess ….. assuming they even think at all.   

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Steady on. He’s improved a hell of a lot, which is especially handy as Dack is out, but he’s a long way to go to reach that level.

6 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Well I think if we'd have had Dack last night he would have buried a number of Danny Graham knock downs especially first half. 

My personal mood until the 70th minute was a bit meh in all honesty thinking that a against a good side we might well have struggled quite badly. Funny how 3 quick fire goals had me thinking that there were some decent individual performances that I might not have thought was the case until we scored. Goals change games as they say!

A look at our forthcoming fixture list which is pretty tough still leaves me thinking that we will come up quite well short in the final analysis as we simply cant withstand the loss of so many of our key players. 3 points off the play offs at least for 24 hours  makes me think how very regrettable our January transfer activity was and how we will be looking back in May with a ''what might have been''. Quite what Venkys will think looking back is anybody's guess ….. assuming they even think at all.   

I was thinking about the injuries and really it's just Dack out, which is a huge loss, but Armstrong is flourishing so that is taking  a lot of pressure off. I can't really include Holtby as being a huge blow as it's hard to miss what you never really had. Rothwell back next week....

49 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Armstrong’s in first minute, a simple straight at him header is all I can remember in terms of chances. 
jackson Irvine has a free header and a few times we looked like causing ourselves problems by not dealing with balls into our box. Yes the final 15 minutes were good and makes it look comfortable but hull pretty much imploded for us. I’m not happy with mid table your right for whoever point that was. I strive for more and make no apology for doing so 

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he keeps this form up til the end of the season, I think he will certainly be there 

Dack has consistently been our leading scorer since arriving. He’s our talisman and our best player, we build the team around him.

Whilst it’s very welcome for Armstrong to show this complete upturn in form, he needs to match Dack for goals before he’s talked about in the same terms, for me.

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Dack has consistently been our leading scorer since arriving. He’s our talisman and our best player, we build the team around him.

Whilst it’s very welcome for Armstrong to show this complete upturn in form, he needs to match Dack for goals before he’s talked about in the same terms, for me.

For sure, but if he keeps going he could score as many if not more than Dack did last season. 

I wonder does he feel more freedom with Dack out, because imagine if the 2 of them were flying on all cylinders. 

A very comfortable win against a very poor Hull side. The only time Hull got the ball in dangerous areas came from us pointlessly passing it around at the back.  Travis and Armstrong the stand out performances and pleasing to see Samuel get a goal after what must have been a very difficult 18 months for him. I thought Mowbray played Downing and Bennett on the wrong sides, they have been much better of on their natural side getting balls into the box for Graham. 

Got 33/1 on Hull to be relegated this morning, they are currently 10 points clear of the drop but if they don't improve on that showing last night then they will be in a relegation battle.

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Armstrong’s in first minute, a simple straight at him header is all I can remember in terms of chances. 
jackson Irvine has a free header and a few times we looked like causing ourselves problems by not dealing with balls into our box. Yes the final 15 minutes were good and makes it look comfortable but hull pretty much imploded for us. I’m not happy with mid table your right for whoever point that was. I strive for more and make no apology for doing so 

I remember another save from their keeper first half which he tried to make look like a worldie (perhaps midway through the half, can't remember which Rovers player it was), and I also remember a couple of blocks by the Hull defence which were also shots on target/good chances. You can't keep citing similar promising situations that Hull had as 'chances' without giving equal credence to the ones that Rovers had.

I'm not a huge fan of stats per se, but by any measure we absolutely battered Hull last night and the only surprise is that it took us so long to actually make the breakthrough. 

Striving for more is one thing, but mate you are not being fair, reasonable or rational in your analysis of what happened last night. 3-0 certainly did not flatter us and that's regardless of when the goals were scored. As one-sided a game as you could wish to see. 

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, but is everybody else really wrong and you are right?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I remember another save from their keeper first half which he tried to make look like a worldie (perhaps midway through the half, can't remember which Rovers player it was), and I also remember a couple of blocks by the Hull defence which were also shots on target/good chances. You can't keep citing similar promising situations that Hull had as 'chances' without giving equal credence to the ones that Rovers had.

I'm not a huge fan of stats per se, but by any measure we absolutely battered Hull last night and the only surprise is that it took us so long to actually make the breakthrough. 

Striving for more is one thing, but mate you are not being fair, reasonable or rational in your analysis of what happened last night. 3-0 certainly did not flatter us and that's regardless of when the goals were scored. As one-sided a game as you could wish to see. 

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, but is everybody else really wrong and you are right?  

Nope it’s my opinion , Not asking folk to agree , happy to have a debate, the wee petty digs are uncalled for imo. 

did we deserve it - yes.

were hull playing reserves and new signings losing the last 5 and worst team in the league currently- yes. 
we were ok, certainly not as good as some are making out.

19 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Armstrong in the first minute, Johnsons header straight at the keeper when he should have done better, Armstrong's shot blocked on the line by the defender - all three of those absolute gilt-edged chances which we should have taken at least one of.

Added to that, Armstrong curled one just wide from the edge of the box fairly early on, Tosin headed one wide from a corner, Downing put one over from the edge of the box and also had a free kick that was saved by the keeper. Not saying that any of those were clear cut chances, but all were equal to the one where they hit the bar, and all better than anything else they managed all night

• Like 1

Just now, DaveyB said:

Armstrong in the first minute, Johnsons header straight at the keeper when he should have done better, Armstrong's shot blocked on the line by the defender - all three of those absolute gilt-edged chances which we should have taken at least one of.

Added to that, Armstrong curled one just wide from the edge of the box fairly early on, Tosin headed one wide from a corner, Downing put one over from the edge of the box and also had a free kick that was saved by the keeper. Not saying that any of those were clear cut chances, but all were equal to the one where they hit the bar, and all better than anything else they managed all night

Totally don’t recall those as close or real chances. Armstrong off the line? 

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So what did people make of Maddison? He was being built up as a must sign player by some for the last 2 years. 

He was one of their better players. He got booed when he came over to take a couple of corners, which I just find fascinating. Booing a player because he didn't sign for your club and then heading to social media to say how crap he was baffles me.

Some Rovers fans, not unlike other supporter bases, are guilty of this. Same with Patrick Bauer, he's been great for Preston but you'll find quite a few who want to under egg how good he is for them, simply because he didn't sign for us.

Hull were poor, had no real outlet, but he was okay. Beat Bell repeatedly, but that's not a huge task. Shame he's signed for a side who've now sold all their decent players. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nope it’s my opinion , Not asking folk to agree , happy to have a debate, the wee petty digs are uncalled for imo. 

did we deserve it - yes.

were hull playing reserves and new signings losing the last 5 and worst team in the league currently- yes. 
we were ok, certainly not as good as some are making out.

Hull were poor, yes. And it's true to say that we might not have won so comfortably against a better side.

But last night could/should have been 5 or 6 nil, and I'm not sure what else Rovers could have done (except obviously taking a few more of their chances). Certainly very far from a 'very poor' performance as you described 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not stick with 4-3-3 against Charlton? 

How did Maddison do? Would you sign him in the summer?

Unsure, I think going forward for us 4-3-3 means that we have to play Armstrong wide because we only have him, Rothwell and maybe Chapman that can do that role. I don't want to see Gallagher shunted back there when he returns, which he will, nor Brereton and Samuel regularly in the wide positions. I thought that Brereton last night was more involved overall, but obviously Samuel got his goal but I dont think I would want him wide right from the start of a game.

I think with the 442, we can play Armstrong up top still and then pick either the experience of Graham or the mobility of one of the other 3, baring in mind none of them have worked out so far, but at least they would be playing in their natural position.

Maddison didnt really do much in a shocking Hull side but yeah I certainly would. He would have easily got into our side still looking at his track record, Bennett offered nothing from a natural wide role yesterday and really needs moving on. I am sure we will revert back to 4231 next season with Holtby and then Dack back, and he can easily slot into a wide role far more naturally than the usual suspects that play there, and also play as a 10.

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No way that Armstrong is better than Dack, Dack has a consistently better goal record. Armstrong has really stepped up though and I hope it is more than an extended run of form similar to last January. I think it is too. He needs to add the goals that Dack has as bread and butter, scrappy goals, tap ins, he was put through in the first minute and his finish was poor, then obviously scored an absolute screamer. Has the attributes to go far though and very good to watch at the moment. 

Our defence is obviously better than last season but there are still 10 teams in the League with better defensive records than us, we are only the 11th best defence so we still need improving.

Lenihan is our main man back there and has been very assured.

• Like 1