BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Hull

Interesting thought experiment to wonder if Colin W would have kept us up @Stuart but I feel it’s important to remind ourselves that we were abjectly, unforgivably dogbabb.

Will be a monumental collapse to see us back in that state.

Edited by S8 & Blue

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

twice I think. Grabban or Watkins are offside alot more than Armstrong as been. 

Why cant I? cos you said so. 

Mowbray gave us a chance to survive and any other season we would have stay up. Yes Mowbray did get us up and it was very enjoyable season and I have some great memories from that season. I remember when people on here wanted him sacked after 10 games in that league 1 season

Poor Form? we are 11th in form table(last 6 games)

After a brief lapse following a win v Barnsley, you have reverted back to literally just being a soundboard for everything Mowbray does. Everything is defended and twisted even when there is no logic to it so theres no point continuing.

Mowbray failed to save us from relegation but then got us promoted. Cant accept the negative, only the positive.

Armstrong has been massively improved but has a flaw that needs improving. Cant accept the negative, only the positive. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Interesting thought experiment to wonder if Colin W would have kept us up @Stuart but I feel it’s important to remind ourselves that we were abjectly, unforgivably dogbabb.

Will be a monumental collapse to see us back in that state.

He’d have kept us up. They’d have been frightened to death.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah our attacking players shouldnt "obsess" about attacking duties!

Armstrong bar one month had an inconsistent and underwhelming season last season. His recent good form has been up front. Antonsson had a bit of a temporary hot spell then badly fizzled away post injury. But otherwise its not just last window  in which we have failed to sign competent wide men who naturally play there (Downing is best now centrally) and its really costing us now we are just devoid of options there.

Yeah we wouldnt want to sign a player for example for 7m based on a half decent performance against Derrick Williams in which the team he played for lost 1 nil! I would rather we scouted players that we could afford and had the competence and money to complete the deal.

I suggestion moving him up front after Dack injury. 

Depends on the info you are given at the time about the player you want. What happen if a player agent says the player is available for x amount but then when you put the bid the selling club wants 5 times the amount you bid. or The loan deal we have agreed with Chelsea for the player. wasn't down to us why it didn't happen

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I suggestion moving him up front after Dack injury. 

Depends on the info you are given at the time about the player you want. What happen if a player agent says the player is available for x amount but then when you put the bid the selling club wants 5 times the amount you bid. or The loan deal we have agreed with Chelsea for the player. wasn't down to us why it didn't happen

Not interested in excuses or hypothetical scenarios that you want to dream up. Move to different achievable targets. The neglect of the wide areas has been far longer than just this January window.

The Chelsea player was a right back too which was odd.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

After a brief lapse following a win v Barnsley, you have reverted back to literally just being a soundboard for everything Mowbray does. Everything is defended and twisted even when there is no logic to it so theres no point continuing.

Mowbray failed to save us from relegation but then got us promoted. Cant accept the negative, only the positive.

Armstrong has been massively improved but has a flaw that needs improving. Cant accept the negative, only the positive. 

So Armstrong has massively improved? he has a flaw? being offside. probably cos he is the one that is looking to run in behind the defence. Suggest you look at Grabban or Watkins offside stats. If you think Armstrong has a flaw they have a major problem. Better get them in for extra training and fine them a week wages ;)

Twisted? ?

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not interested in excuses or hypothetical scenarios that you want to dream up. Move to different achievable targets. The neglect of the wide areas has been far longer than just this January window.

The Chelsea player was a right back too which was odd.

very easy when you aren't in recruitment and scouting department. Very easy to comment on fans message board. 

How do you it was Hypothetical scenario? 

No you are never interested in excuses when it doesn't suit your viewpoint but very quickly to used excuses when it come to Chapman tho

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I actually don’t mean the Screen Grabber. But some of the other ones (you’ll know who I mean as it’s re-tweet central).

Positivity is great, negativity is fine if that’s your bag too, everyone is entitled to a view

What annoys me is the tweets and posts that are obviously passive aggressive, purely sarcastic and lacking any real point other than to score points 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Positivity is great, negativity is fine if that’s your bag too, everyone is entitled to a view

What annoys me is the tweets and posts that are obviously passive aggressive, purely sarcastic and lacking any real point other than to score points 

C6CD21F1-A569-498D-8AAD-EB006DA79983.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

“Mowbray took us to League One” is completely disingenuous and sadly, you know it is.

What’s the point?

No one has said it's his fault we went down, the question was asked "Where were we headed when he took us over"? The answer was League 1 and the fact was stated that that is exactly where we ended up anyway!

Obviously there is context to that but those supporting Mowbray don't like context when it doesn't suit ie citing our League position after a win which might temporarily push us up a couple of places up the League. The fact we might be say tenth iin any given week is cited as irrefutable evidence of huge strides being made despite the fact we may be only three points off 15th or the football is dire or we've just had another disastrous transfer window etc.

The fact we might occupy  a respectable position in the League in any given week apparently stands on it's own and can't be challenged. But mention the fact that Mowbray failed in his initially assigned task of keeping us up, that raises howls of derision and has to be put into context!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Before he came in we were heading for relegation from the Championship and we needed Warnock. Instead we got Mowbray and relegation was assured.

We'd missed out on Warnock the summer before, when Coyle was (laughably but not in a funny way) preferred. It wasn't a choice between Warnock or Mowbray when Mowbray was appointed.

If we had got Warnock in instead of Coyle that summer (like Cardiff did), maybe we would have got promoted (like Cardiff did) not relegated that season, and we would all be none the wiser about Mowbray. But then isn't it just as likely that we would also have been relegated again (like Cardiff were) and currently sat in 8th place in the Championship, a whole 2 points ahead of where we currently find ourselves (like Cardiff are).

Imagine how dark it would be on here now if we were in Cardiff's position, having been in receipt of Premier League riches for a season plus 3 seasons of parachute payments ?! 

• Like 1

Rankin-Costello injured now and will miss the Hull game! Something is very wrong to have all of these injuries. I’m convinced it’s a lack of fitness.

Even watching the players on the pitch at half time, they just doss about, having a laugh and a joke. In Brezza’s case, he needs to stand a bit closer to his team mate when passing the ball. His lack of accuracy is badly exposed when he tries pinging it across the pitch.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No one has said it's his fault we went down, the question was asked "Where were we headed when he took us over"? The answer was League 1 and the fact was stated that that is exactly where we ended up anyway!

Obviously there is context to that but those supporting Mowbray don't like context when it doesn't suit ie citing our League position after a win which might temporarily push us up a couple of places up the League. The fact we might be say tenth iin any given week is cited as irrefutable evidence of huge strides being made despite the fact we may be only three points off 15th or the football is dire or we've just had another disastrous transfer window etc.

The fact we might occupy  a respectable position in the League in any given week apparently stands on it's own and can't be challenged. But mention the fact that Mowbray failed in his initially assigned task of keeping us up, that raises howls of derision and has to be put into context!!

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I think a few of us remember the situation very differently is all.

You know, with context.

Talking tosh about our relegation and justifying it with “well we are only TEMPORARILY 10th you hypocrites” does betray the starting position and intention a little.

Meh. Bring back Kean.

At least we ALL hated him.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Rankin-Costello injured now and will miss the Hull game! Something is very wrong to have all of these injuries. I’m convinced it’s a lack of fitness.

Even watching the players on the pitch at half time, they just doss about, having a laugh and a joke. In Brezza’s case, he needs to stand a bit closer to his team mate when passing the ball. His lack of accuracy is badly exposed when he tries pinging it across the pitch.

It has been a niggling thought re: the medical/training department, but Dack, Cunningham, Holtby and Evans are all out with impact injuries and bad luck.

Blows my mind.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I too find it concerning that JRC is injured having not even completed two games for the senior side. My reaction to seeing the news on Sky Sports was "He didn't last long did he?"

I commented a few weeks ago about the amateurish nature of the "warm up" during half time of a recent home game which consisted of three of the players stood in a little triangle a yard apart, rolling the ball to each other and having a good laugh.

Might be unconnected might not. I don't think we look particularly fit though.

• Backroom

Mowbray has more or less gotten us back into the position we were in under Bowyer before Venky's pulled the rug out from underneath him. A squad somewhat unbalanced that doesn't play great football but can grind out enough results to finish comfortably mid-table if never really challenge for the playoffs. I think Bowyer had a better team overall (with less money) and that was reflected in slightly higher league positions than TM has achieved (assuming we finish lower than 8th/9th this time around). 

At the time the general concensus was that Bowyer had run his race and we needed to replace him to move forward. Obviously Venky's made the wrong choices and ended up relegating us with Owen Coyle instead. History could very easily repeat itself so personally I'm very wary of TM departing. With that said my ambition for the club remains the same as it was back then, so I'm at the point where I'm wondering if TM can realistically get us into genuine contention for promotion. I think probably not, but am I confident in our owners appointing the right person even if Mowbray left? No, I'm not. I imagine it would be chaos, confusion and disaster again. 

It's a tough situation to be in as on the one hand my ambitions for the club are beyond what I believe Mowbray can achieve, but at the same time I'm well aware that if he leaves we're more likely to spiral downward than push on - because if there's one thing Venky's have proven it's that they don't take the managerial position seriously and will always opt for the cheap route. Sometimes you get half-decent managers in the likes of Bowyer and Mowbray, other times you get a Kean or a Coyle (although one could argue Kean was not cheap at all retrospectively). What you never get is a manager that will get the club punching above its weight, which is realistically what we are going to require in order to get promoted. 

It's just a shit situation and I don't see it being resolved until Venky's are gone, and right now it seems like they are going nowhere.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I think a few of us remember the situation very differently is all.

You know, with context.

Talking tosh about our relegation and justifying it with “well we are only TEMPORARILY 10th you hypocrites” does betray the starting position and intention a little.

Meh. Bring back Kean.

At least we ALL hated him.

My starting position is fairly clear and I make no bones about or apology for it. It's been blindingly obvious to me for the last 12 months that Mowbray needs to be replaced and nothing has happened since to change that view, indeed it becomes ever more obvious with every week that passes, with every poor performance, every half baked press conference and every disastrous transfer window that passes.

I'm not sure what you can have seen over the last 12 months to make you think otherwise.

Think Bowyer had a far higher budget when it came to wages.

I remember him lamenting the fact that we could only offer Fode Koita 10k a week after embargo. ?

Certainly helped us attract some good players.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

My starting position is fairly clear and I make no bones about or apology for it. It's been blindingly obvious to me for the last 12 months that Mowbray needs to be replaced and nothing has happened since to change that view, indeed it becomes ever more obvious with every week that passes, with every poor performance, every half baked press conference and every disastrous transfer window that passes.

I'm not sure what you can have seen over the last 12 months to make you think otherwise.

I genuinely think we’re improving. 

Us and every other team in the EFL wants top 6, we lost our best player before Nigella’s plums were poached and we’re still in and about it. Decent if unspectacular. Top ten would be a huge finish in the circumstances and certainly not implausible.

Doubt we’ll ever see eye to eye on it though!

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Think Bowyer had a far higher budget when it came to wages.

I remember him lamenting the fact that we could only offer Fode Koita 10k a week after embargo.

Certainly helped us attract some good players.

It's hard to say because at the time a lot of our outgoings were tied up in payments to players whose contracts we had severed. Etuhu, Murphy, Best, all the Portugeezers, etc. The likes of Hanley, Duffy, Rhodes, Gestede, Evans, Conway and Cairney were likely on a decent wedge. All brought in for relative pittance or nothing at all though. In terms of transfer fees Bowyer spent Duffy was probably the biggest? Can't remember exactly how much he cost off the top of my head but I seem to recall it was around £2m. Rhodes was before Bowyer became first team manager, and from recollection the likes of Cairney and Evans were both under £1m. We found some real bargains back then. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1