BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First team squad 20-21

I was talking about this at the game yesterday and how concerning it is.

Due to the utter mismanagement of our first team squad, it will look like this at the end of the season unless any of our lads out of contract sign new deals before then.

I'm taking into consideration players who have played first team games or have squad numbers...

GK - Fisher

Defence - Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Wharton, Magloire, Williams 

Midfield - Bennett, Chapman, Travis, Evans, Johnson, Davenport, Rankin-Costello, Buckley, Rothwell, Holtby, Dack (probably not available until Christmas)

Strikers - Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton, Butterworth

Now, I suspect Bell and Downing might get offered new deals, so we could probably add those back to the list.

I personally think we will need 6 players of good quality just to stay as a plodding mid table side let alone a non existent push for the top 6.

A GK, two centre halves, a left back, a wide player and a Striker.

What's the betting Mowbrays first signing of the summer is an attacking midfielder?

Edited by MarkBRFC

It’s very concerning for me. Mowbray asked us to judge him in 5 windows time a while ago (someone correct me if I’m wrong) and that time will then be up. The result - our squad needs major surgery.

I’m waiting for all the excuses come the summer. A new one that hasn’t been mentioned yet but no doubt will be brought up time and again - Euros. ‘X aren’t letting X leave until their main lads are back from the Euros safe and sound. It’s not an easy time to do business.’

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

Williams , Smallwood,  Samuels, Mulgrew , Bennett , Butterworth , Wharton, Brereton on loan. Club need Keeper left and right back, 2 center halfs. right winger to balance  the side up and a new stricker, Nyambe  and Travis  and Lenihan  will be sold Dack will be sold next January  The question  must be ask can TM build a new team theres a lot to be done

This is the squad after Who I think will be sold or told them can leave. Plus Mowbray's comments taken into account

I expect Fisher and Wharton to leave in summer for league 2 clubs. Mulgrew will be gone. Johnson will go IMO due to lack of playing time and the fact that this move just hasn't work out for him. Maglorie and Brereton(or sold) to leave on loan. 

I would offer new contracts to Bell and Downing. Bell has been very good in the past 2 months and Downing has been my player of the season

GK- Hilton

Right back- Nyambe

Centre back- Lenihan, Williams 

Left Back- Bell 

Right wing - Bennett

Centre Mid - Travis, Buckley, Davenport, Downing, Evans

Left Wing - Rothwell, Rankin Costello

number 10- Holtby, Dack

Strikers - Armstrong, Gallagher, 

So Signings wise we need 2 keepers, 1 right back, 2 centre back, 1 left back, 1 right winger, 1 striker. I think most of our signings will be from foreign clubs with us having invest so much in this European scouting network. But I would be asking Man City about having Tosin Adarabioyo back at the club on loan for the season. 

I am looking forward to the summer recruitment in terms of signings and seeing who we sign

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Signings wise we need 2 keepers, 1 right back, 2 centre back, 1 left back, 1 right winger, 1 striker. I think most of our signings will be from foreign clubs with us having invest so much in this European scouting network. 

6 windows, getting on for £20 Million spent and at least 8 players short, that is perhaps the strongest argument for sacking Mowbray. Also in that time unlike many other clubs in the league he has not had to sell a single one of his key players. Imagine how short our squad will look when the owners decide to cash in on players to balance the books. There can't be many managers in this league over the last 2 seasons who have had the luxury of spending the money Mowbray has and not had to sell any key players.

• Like 7

I think Lenihan will be shipped out at the first decent offer. I can see bigger teams taking a punt on Nyambe too. Mainly because we HAVE to sell to buy - to remain FFP compliant (which we do voice concerns about).

It's an absolute mess of a squad. Bell is weak and just about adequate z and the only LB at the club (since Williams confessed to not being up to it). We don't own a half-decent goalkeeper. We only have one dedicated centreback with first team experience - unless Mulgrew is reconsidered and gets his 100th appearance (with probable pay rise). We have no height or presence in centre midfield but plenty of light-weight options. Two expensive strikers who either don't score, don't play or don't play where they should.

At least we have low-expectations, apathy, a bucket full of excuses and the World's greatest manager to see us through. For that, I am grateful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J*B said:

No way on earth is Johnson going anywhere. 

Does he still live in Derby? Wouldn't take any relocating to offload him onto a Midlands club. Finding one, however.

Personally, I'd have a clean sweep. Too many rank-average players (or worse) taking up a wage. Problem is, we're relying on our crack team of negotiators to overhaul the squad. Unless this “European scouting” we've heard so much about will pay off, if it's not just another ponzi scheme at Rovers expense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amo said:

Does he still live in Derby? Wouldn't take any relocating to offload him onto a Midlands club. Finding one, however.

Personally, I'd have a clean sweep. Too many rank-average players (or worse) taking up a wage. Problem is, we're relying on our crack team of negotiators to overhaul the squad. Unless this “European scouting” we've heard so much about will pay off, if it's not just another ponzi scheme at Rovers expense. 

How long would it take for them to learn the way we play?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I was talking about this at the game yesterday and how concerning it is.

Due to the utter mismanagement of our first team squad, it will look like this at the end of the season unless any of our lads out of contract sign new deals before then.

I'm taking into consideration players who have played first team games or have squad numbers...

GK - Fisher

Defence - Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Wharton, Magloire, Williams 

Midfield - Bennett, Chapman, Travis, Evans, Johnson, Davenport, Rankin-Costello, Buckley, Rothwell, Holtby, Dack (probably not available until Christmas)

Strikers - Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton, Butterworth

Now, I suspect Bell and Downing might get offered new deals, so we could probably add those back to the list.

I personally think we will need 6 players of good quality just to stay as a plodding mid table side let alone a non existent push for the top 6.

A GK, two centre halves, a left back, a wide player and a Striker.

What's the betting Mowbrays first signing of the summer is an attacking midfielder?

Why will they need to be of 'good' quality to stand still when some of the ones we are losing are a bit shit (Leuts, Bell) or have been out all season (Cunningham)?

Not sure Mulgrew or Johnson should count. The legs have clearly gone for both of them and being literally, physically unable to do their job means they're a total waste of a wage. 

Lenihen and Evans both spend a lot of time injured and have ever since they've been with us. You can count on them missing a fair whack of the season. Ditto Holtby (which is why he is with us.) Add in Dack will take a while to get up and running (whenever that is) and boy is that a thin squad. 

There's question marks over whether our undoubtedly talented youngsters are ready yet or whether best served by regular league 1 football. The least of the concerns with the squad but it feels like a big ask for them to become squad players within 3 months. An exciting possibility and could pay dividends but it is also a risky one. Am sure a couple will make the grade but am equally confident a couple of them won't. 

And that's before you even consider if any of them aren't good enough! 

To be in this situation after 3 years at the helm is just appalling. How anyone can look at that squad and think good job Tony is beyond me. 

• Like 1

770973199_2020_21SeasonSquadListSoldAcquiredSortedIntoTeams.thumb.png.ecc9737d7cbdde0999c2ea83077f3c6a.png

This is how I can see it going. Players in luminous green I would consider "Top 6 players" worthy of a starting position in our team for next season (if and when fit of course).

Out of a normal 23 man squad, to only have 5 or 6 players who are good enough is pretty poor. We'd have to sign at least 6 Top 6 quality players to even think about much of an improvement next season.

Got a strong feeling Ben Brereton will go out on loan for next season, I reckon Downing & Graham can both be squad players another year personally but that's just my opinion obviously. We've no goalkeepers as has been mentioned in this thread, and only two defenders who we can universally agree are decent... 

We need a HUGE window, and I sadly don't feel as though we're going to get it. Also highlighted in blue some of the youth players I reckon will get a loan out too. Can see promising left-back Lewis Thompson going to League One or Two, same for Buckley & Chapman. 

54 minutes ago, JoeH said:

770973199_2020_21SeasonSquadListSoldAcquiredSortedIntoTeams.thumb.png.ecc9737d7cbdde0999c2ea83077f3c6a.png

This is how I can see it going. Players in luminous green I would consider "Top 6 players" worthy of a starting position in our team for next season (if and when fit of course).

Out of a normal 23 man squad, to only have 5 or 6 players who are good enough is pretty poor. We'd have to sign at least 6 Top 6 quality players to even think about much of an improvement next season.

Got a strong feeling Ben Brereton will go out on loan for next season, I reckon Downing & Graham can both be squad players another year personally but that's just my opinion obviously. We've no goalkeepers as has been mentioned in this thread, and only two defenders who we can universally agree are decent... 

We need a HUGE window, and I sadly don't feel as though we're going to get it. Also highlighted in blue some of the youth players I reckon will get a loan out too. Can see promising left-back Lewis Thompson going to League One or Two, same for Buckley & Chapman. 

Would keep Corry Evans around too.

Sadly Bennett, Johnson and Mulgrew will be nigh on unshiftable.

I've posted something similar before but this is the squad Mowbray inherited vs Burton:

Steele

Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Williams

Conway Guthrie Lowe Feeney

Emnes Graham

Subs: Stokes, Joao, Gallagher, Mahoney, Tomlinson, Brown, Raya

Our squad vs Fulham:

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell

Travis Johnson

Gallagher JRC Downing

Armstrong

Subs: Williams, Graham, Samuel, Davenport, Brereton, Bennett

It's a completely different squad and there has been massive improvements. We are missing Evans, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell and Cunningham from what was our strongest squad after the transfer window in summer. So I expect more of the same - improvement in quality and depth.

For whatever reason there is 0 appetite for the Rovers financiers to sanction defensive recruitment. This isn't a TM issue. It has happened since they came. Unlike when TM came in this summer we are only due to lose Tosin and Walton, rather than half the squad we lost in 2017. That would mean that a GK and CB is on the wishlist. Whether Venkys sanction these signings is another thing.

Providing we keep hold of Dack it would leave us a winger short of a terrific starting front 4. The whispers in Jan would leave us with a safe assumption this will be addressed. It is absolutely remarkable how this topic was started with the "utter mismanagement of our first team squad". That is such an overstatement it is untrue. Take a look at the revolution we have had in players. Mowbray has brought the squad age down, ensured we own the majority of our key players and has some top quality experience thrown in (Graham, Downing). Our squad is considerably better than when he took over, so how we are now considering it "mismanaged" is beyond me.

As things stand if Mowbray left us tomorrow he will have transformed the club from that squad to what we have now. That is fantastic management. Yes he had a terrible signing in Brereton considering the fee but at 20 years old he still has a chance to find some form and, hopefully in the future, move on for a fee. Other than that Mowbray has improved us year on year and this looks no different.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've posted something similar before but this is the squad Mowbray inherited vs Burton:

Steele

Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Williams

Conway Guthrie Lowe Feeney

Emnes Graham

Subs: Stokes, Joao, Gallagher, Mahoney, Tomlinson, Brown, Raya

Our squad vs Fulham:

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell

Travis Johnson

Gallagher JRC Downing

Armstrong

Subs: Williams, Graham, Samuel, Davenport, Brereton, Bennett

It's a completely different squad and there has been massive improvements. We are missing Evans, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell and Cunningham from what was our strongest squad after the transfer window in summer. So I expect more of the same - improvement in quality and depth.

It's hardly any great achievement that Mowbray has improved our squad given the money he has spent it would have been pretty much impossible not to. The cost of that team at Burton was around 500K in transfer fees Mowbray paid that just for Dominic Samuel. Not to mention that Mowbray has not had to sell any of his key players to balance the books whereas in the year or so before that Burton game all players of any decent value had been sold. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Completely insensitive to the colourblind amongst us. ? it makes no sense! Good effort though ?

Don’t reckon DG will get another year, personally, I think it’s time for a fond farewell.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's hardly any great achievement that Mowbray has improved our squad given the money he has spent it would have been pretty much impossible not to. The cost of that team at Burton was around 500K in transfer fees Mowbray paid that just for Dominic Samuel. Not to mention that Mowbray has not had to sell any of his key players to balance the books whereas in the year or so before that Burton game all players of any decent value had been sold. 

Every single piece of praise Mowbray gets on here is met with a reason to as why it isn't such an achievement.

However, when the lack of defensive reinforcements is shown to be an issue since Venkys came and not just TM that is ignored and used as a stick to beat the man with.

We can't have it both ways. Regardless of the budget or not Mowbray has been the manager here through the good and the bad and deserves the credit for the good as much as the criticism for the bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Don’t reckon DG will get another year, personally, I think it’s time for a fond farewell.

Yeah, he probably won't get it, I think he could easily manage it though. Still our best striker.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Every single piece of praise Mowbray gets on here is met with a reason to as why it isn't such an achievement.

However, when the lack of defensive reinforcements is shown to be an issue since Venkys came and not just TM that is ignored and used as a stick to beat the man with.

We can't have it both ways. Regardless of the budget or not Mowbray has been the manager here through the good and the bad and deserves the credit for the good as much as the criticism for the bad.

If there is any truth to the conspiracy that he cant sign defenders, he was incredibly naive to promise that they were coming!

Ultimately, he was showered with praise during his most successful season. He has had plenty of praise. And he has been at the club for a long period of time nowadays so its a constant dilemma after a while of whether he is the man to move us onto the top 6/promotion target that he has set. When we have never once made the top 6 even temporarily and the main chunks of money he has had have been totally wasted, and the good signings are mainly the short term ones, you are going to naturally have people harbouring major doubts over whether he can push us forward. Ultimately a bad result or two is enough to remove any temporary cover over those feelings of doubt. Even when we are in form we never break into the top 6 which is why it is very difficult to justify that we are credible contenders towards the expectations the manager has set.

45 points to play for and 6 off the playoffs.

I think injuries will have derailed us this season but the progress we have made is obvious. We’re playing some good football, our defence is a ton better.

On the squad - Tosin is the best central defender we’ve had since we were relegated. Cunningham would have been regarded as our best full back too. They might not be “ours” but that’s the Championship.

Still take scouting, signing and training. 

I think a lot of the summer window will be centred around marquee loans whilst our academy lads are increasingly brought through. Couple more astute frees like Holtby and Downing would be cracking too.

ITWT

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If there is any truth to the conspiracy that he cant sign defenders, he was incredibly naive to promise that they were coming!

Ultimately, he was showered with praise during his most successful season. He has had plenty of praise. And he has been at the club for a long period of time nowadays so its a constant dilemma after a while of whether he is the man to move us onto the top 6/promotion target that he has set. When we have never once made the top 6 even temporarily and the main chunks of money he has had have been totally wasted, and the good signings are mainly the short term ones, you are going to naturally have people harbouring major doubts over whether he can push us forward. Ultimately a bad result or two is enough to remove any temporary cover over those feelings of doubt. Even when we are in form we never break into the top 6 which is why it is very difficult to justify that we are credible contenders towards the expectations the manager has set.

This is literally halfway through his third full season. That isn't a long period of time. His first full season = promotion, his second full season = consolidation and now he aims for the top 6. I will judge after 46 games but anywhere above 10th and he keeps his job for me, especially given our injuries right now.

You use words like naturally but there is nothing natural about the clamour on this board, like it or not.

It's not a conspiracy either. Look back through the transfers sanctioned by Venkys since their arrival and there is no money spent on defenders in comparison to other areas of the pitch. There is a topic on this board about it, very well researched I may add, but it was brushed under the carpet though as posters preferred 150+ pages of debate on Brereton and how much of a slag Mowbray is.

Anyway my point was that Mowbray should get criticism in equal amounts to praise. He has been the manager during the time our playing squad has improved. His money hasn't been wasted as we now sit comfortably in the Championship. If he was to leave now we would be in a far better state than when he found us and that is the measure of a manager.

• Like 2