Jump to content
joeheadland

Music Blackburn have run out to..

Recommended Posts

Good morning everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example
sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Blackburn Rovers have run out to, for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Rovers ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Main one would be:

The Final Countdown - Europe.

We've always gone back to that over the years, the club posted a vote on this subject a couple of seasons ago, suggestions were made and fans chose their favourites. That would be a great place to start for some statistical data on Rovers walk out music history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Main one would be:

The Final Countdown - Europe.

We've always gone back to that over the years, the club posted a vote on this subject a couple of seasons ago, suggestions were made and fans chose their favourites. That would be a great place to start for some statistical data on Rovers walk out music history.

Only if you like Europe and you're about 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Only if you like Europe and you're about 20.

It's just my personal opinion that it's the main song I think of...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid nineties (I think) we used to run out to O Fortuna from Carmina Burana which was my favourite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

There was the classic 'Good Old Blackburn Rovers'.

The crappy 1980's rock song by Frenzy.

That would date back to around the early 70's. On the web archive for early BRFCS there was a music file and surprisingly the download worked but this was a few years ago. They played it at the stadium then?

It was probably about 40 years out of date in 70's though. Bring it back if the goal is to make Ewood as uncool to younger fans as possible.

EDIT-No download needed. Go site index and the exact link is there. https://web.archive.org/web/19970701202345/http://www.brfc-supporters.org.uk/

Edited by Vinjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

There was the classic 'Good Old Blackburn Rovers'.

The crappy 1980's rock song by Frenzy.

It wasn't called that...it was just called "Rovers"....down at ewood park, blackburn rovers, you can hear them singing, blackburn rovers,  from miles and miles around........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

That would date back to around the early 70's. On the web archive for early BRFCS there was a music file and surprisingly the download worked but this was a few years ago. They played it at the stadium then?

 

 

Edit: Sorry just realised you were talking about the other one not the Frenzy one.

Frenzy Rovers song LINK

The A & B side of the 70's record is in this brfcs archive LINK

Edited by perthblue02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we had a season under Souness when we came out to lets get it started by the the black eyed peas

Best song for me was when we came out to wild rover by the dropkick murphys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for all of this guys. I'm trying to piece together a timeline for when the tunes would have been played... This is how it looks at the moment:

   

 
Europe The Final Countdown 1986     Current Song
Black Eyes Peas Let's Get It Started 2003     2003/04 
Dropkick Murphy's Wild Rover 2001      
M People Search For The Hero 1994     Late 90s/Early 00's
Carl Off O Fortuna from Carmina Burana 1936     Mid 90s
Frenzy Blackburn Rovers 1981      

 

Any more tracks/additions, or memories attached to the songs, let me know!

Thanks for your help everyone!

     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a long time ago and i was a kid but i don't remember the team running out to music in the 80's.  Think they just used to start with the tv sports program Grandstand or World of Sport theme tune about 2.30.  Then a few announcements, a few top ten records, the teams and that was it.

Teams came out separately to cheers from the fans and actual songs that started 5 mins before kick off like a ritual. Pre match atmosphere i think it was called !

All in front of 4 to 7k home fans mostly, these days 11k ( allegedly ) can barely be arsed to applaud sometimes. Not unique to Ewood any of this though.

 

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be miles more into it if they brought back Dropkick Murphy’s version of ‘wild rover’ prior to kick off these days rather than that one currently in use....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was a long time ago and i was a kid but i don't remember the team running out to music in the 80's.  Think they just used to start with the tv sports program Grandstand or World of Sport theme tune about 2.30.  Then a few announcements, a few top ten records, the teams and that was it.

Teams came out separately to cheers from the fans and actual songs that started 5 mins before kick off like a ritual. Pre match atmosphere i think it was called !

All in front of 4 to 7k home fans mostly, these days 11k ( allegedly ) can barely be arsed to applaud sometimes. Not unique to Ewood any of this though.

 

Half the problem is that they used to peg it out the tunnel, booting balls into the crowd etc, so that got you going.

Now they slowly amble out holding kids’ hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Half the problem is that they used to peg it out the tunnel, booting balls into the crowd etc, so that got you going.

Now they slowly amble out holding kids’ hands. 

Nicky Reid used to sprint towards the BBE end like he was going to jump into the crowd and nut somebody 😂

At least they looked like they meant business !

Think it was the 'Premier League' handshake that set the rot in though stupid idea slowed everything down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joeheadland said:

Cheers for all of this guys. I'm trying to piece together a timeline for when the tunes would have been played... This is how it looks at the moment:

   


 
Europe The Final Countdown 1986     Current Song
Black Eyes Peas Let's Get It Started 2003     2003/04 
Dropkick Murphy's Wild Rover 2001      
M People Search For The Hero 1994     Late 90s/Early 00's
Carl Off O Fortuna from Carmina Burana 1936     Mid 90s
Frenzy Blackburn Rovers 1981      

 

Any more tracks/additions, or memories attached to the songs, let me know!

Thanks for your help everyone!

     

 

The Final Countdown has been around as a walk on song since the early 90's. Im sure it was the song we ran out to in the Premier League winning season of 94/95?

It has had several spells. We tend to go away from it for a year or two and then end up going back to it. It's definitely been the most used song over the last 30 years.

 

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Final Countdown is a tired cock-rock anthem but unfortunately we’ve been saddled with it for years and it does bring back some happy memories.  I would go back to The Irish Rover and then a blast of By Gum We’ll Mek it a Day before kick off.

B8B6F26E-3509-439E-BA3C-30E736DB7BAB.jpeg

Edited by McClarky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first started going n the mid 90s I’m pretty sure it was the boys are back in town by thin lizzy. I’d prefer clarification from someone before you added it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicky Reid used to sprint towards the BBE end like he was going to jump into the crowd and nut somebody 😂

colin hendry used to give the blackburn end a flash of his a**e when requested  "colin,colin show us your arse"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to play the boys are back in town just before the final countdown in the early nineties 

It may have been short lived but let’s not forget there was a period when we came out to We are the Champions 

The most random one was probably one season around 99 when we came out to a Bryan Adams song ‘we’re gonna win, don’t wanna be a loser gonna win, cause winning really is the only thing’

 

 

Edited by Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 07:38, Mattyblue said:

Half the problem is that they used to peg it out the tunnel, booting balls into the crowd etc, so that got you going.

Now they slowly amble out holding kids’ hands. 

Corporate puppets. Just be on the damn pitch by kickoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 10:41, McClarky said:

The Final Countdown is a tired cock-rock anthem but unfortunately we’ve been saddled with it for years and it does bring back some happy memories.  I would go back to The Irish Rover and then a blast of By Gum We’ll Mek it a Day before kick off.

B8B6F26E-3509-439E-BA3C-30E736DB7BAB.jpeg

Mono!! Easily the best of the lot....”Never give in, go out to win...” I think it started. Someone send Tony a disc!

 

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.