BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Think that's a bit harsh to be honest, yes it's £5 a ticket which is amazing, but it's still potentially a long and expensive day out in London, for which in all honesty is mid table second division game.

If we had won those two home games over Christmas and were sat in 6th or so it would have been interesting to see what following we could have taken.

The ticket prices kinda offsets the travel expense a bit though.  Circa £50 it's cost me for tickets & travel, it was about the same for Huddersfield away.

Each to their own though.

About what I thought. Just unluckily timed both with our results tapering off and train prices. Only the away day regulars would have snapped up the 12 week in advance cheap trains, nobody knew about the £5 offer then.

Match tickets aside, a few days after they went on sale trains were shooting up towards £60/70, add your spending money, that’s a dear do for an away day across the country to watch a team fairly innocuously plodding along in mid table.

Got a ticket for this one. Tough game, away, they've got their tails up. While I thought we were totally and utterly dominant against Hull, and if anything could have scored two or three more, that's tempered by the fact Hull were absolutely shocking. So not really sure what to make of our chances at The Valley.

The team basically it picks itself. Only question is do we stick with Graham and Bennett or instead play Samuel and Brereton.

As it's away and therefore likely to be tighter I suspect Mowbray will stick with the 4411 with Bennett and Graham. For me though Id just go for the 433 we finished against Hull with just to see what it looks like against better opposition.

I could see the game being anything from a two goal loss to a two goal win. The Championship is barmy.

• Like 1

I think last night sums up why we need to move on from Bennett and Graham. Graham doesn't have the legs anymore and Bennett is utterly dogshit. Theres a myth that he puts himself about and makes us more solid. Even Brereton in 20 mins made more runs than Bennett did in 70. 0-0 when they were on, 3-0 after they went off. Proof enough.

Away from home id go for more pace and make them cautious about pushing high up the pitch. Id even play Samuel after his goal. At least he tries to run in behind. Think playing Graham and Bennett with no Dack just invites us to sit deep and have no outlet. 

Basically the lads that won the game v hull deserve another chance.....even big Ben

Walton

Nyambe   Lenihan  Tosin  Bell

Armstrong Travis Johnson  Downing

Brereton  Samuel

• Like 4

Looking forward to this one, mixed bag away at Charlton, some god results there in the CH but a frustrating day at the end of the L1 campaign.

Tough game, Charlton do well against footballing teams having beaten 5 out of the top 6 or something ridiculous. If we try and play direct I think we can get another 3 points here. If Sam Gallagher plays I'll loose a fair amount of hope for this one come 2pm Saturday, looked much more threatening without him.

Team prediction:

Walton
Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell
Travis Downing Johnson
Brereton Gallagher Armstrong

Score prediction I'm going to say:

Charlton 1-3 Rovers
Hemed (30) - Downing (10), Adarabioyo (57), Downing (70)

Edited by JoeH

Charlton fighting for their lives in a relegation battle and will be buoyed by their  great win away to Forest last night.

Tony will have taken a look at our rising position in the league table this morning and will tell the players to put the brakes on.

Charlton 2-1. 

No idea which Rovers will turn up or what the manager will offer up in this but i think it'll be similar to last night. They tend to land on something that works then give it another go before completely changing it again.

We are learning how to defend though finally which is a big plus.

Charlton 0   Rovers  1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Charlton fighting for their lives in a relegation battle and will be buoyed by their  great win away to Forest last night.

Tony will have taken a look at our rising position in the league table this morning and will tell the players to put the brakes on.

Charlton 2-1. 

You have certainly gotten more predictions wrong that right this season. Not many bottles of red for you! 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Looking forward to this one, mixed bag away at Charlton, some god results there in the CH but a frustrating day at the end of the L1 campaign.

Tough game, Charlton do well against footballing teams having beaten 5 out of the top 6 or something ridiculous. If we try and play direct I think we can get another 3 points here. If Sam Gallagher plays I'll loose a fair amount of hope for this one come 2pm Saturday, looked much more threatening without him.

Team prediction:

Walton
Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell
Travis Downing Johnson
Brereton Gallagher Armstrong

Score prediction I'm going to say:

Charlton 1-3 Rovers
Hemed (30) - Downing (10), Adarabioyo (57), Downing (70)

Mowbray said that Gallagher (and Rothwell and Rankin Costello) are unlikely to make this weekend, more likely next.

No doubt Gallagher will be back in the team soon, I just really hope hes not just shunted back wide again.

If we stick to a 442, it allows us to have obviously 2 natural strikers, Armstrong alongside someone, and there is no need for wide forwards. Indeed you can play say Downing who obviously wouldnt be able to play wide in a front 3 due to his age.

Regarding Saturday, I dont feel comfortable with Bell or Bennett but unsure theres an alternative, Rothwell could come in for the latter next weekend. The question would be who to partner Armstrong. Graham is our best option but away from home you might want Samuel or Breretons mobility. Samuel might feel aggrieved after his goal but id be tempted by the latter as with Samuel I suspect he will be moved on in the summer anyway.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray said that Gallagher (and Rothwell and Rankin Costello) are unlikely to make this weekend, more likely next.

No doubt Gallagher will be back in the team soon, I just really hope hes not just shunted back wide again.

If we stick to a 442, it allows us to have obviously 2 natural strikers, Armstrong alongside someone, and there is no need for wide forwards. Indeed you can play say Downing who obviously wouldnt be able to play wide in a front 3 due to his age.

Regarding Saturday, I dont feel comfortable with Bell or Bennett but unsure theres an alternative, Rothwell could come in for the latter next weekend. The question would be who to partner Armstrong. Graham is our best option but away from home you might want Samuel or Breretons mobility. Samuel might feel aggrieved after his goal but id be tempted by the latter as with Samuel I suspect he will be moved on in the summer anyway.

Will be some boost to have Rothwell, JRC and Gallagher back together. I agree the logical sub is Gallagher for Graham. Let Gallagher and Armstrong form some sort of partnership. Samuel and Brereton as sub options then. 

Quite looking forward to the day out provided the weather doesn't cause any problems. 

Think we will struggle here. It will be a big day for Charlton with a full house and a chance to take a big step to survival after last night. They'll see this one as a golden opportunity.

I worry about our resilience in these part of games against the poorer sides in the division.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Quite looking forward to the day out provided the weather doesn't cause any problems. 

Think we will struggle here. It will be a big day for Charlton with a full house and a chance to take a big step to survival after last night. They'll see this one as a golden opportunity.

I worry about our resilience in these part of games against the poorer sides in the division.

Yes, it'll be a bit of a bear-pit dahn there on Saturday. I've just been talking to a pal in East London whose son lives near the ground and it's already a sell-out @ £5.00 a ticket.

[Random question: Will Waggott have the nous to talk to his opposite number at The Valley about how to fill a ground with lots of fans for the day who might be tempted by a good result for their lads to return again and again????Or will he try to sell them the idea of a Waggott Tax?!]

Back on topic: So how will we cope with a newly-resurgent Charlton - and their presumably fired-up crowd?

I wasn't at last night's game [Please don't have a pop at me like you did at my pal, Russ, last night, inglorious basturk: I'm 73; mobility-impaired and no longer drive; live 20-odd miles from the ground and wouldn't have got home by public transport till around midnight.] but it was quite funny listening to the occasional reports from Ewood on Radio 5.

The reporter was someone I'd not heard before, but he was quite enjoying the game and I remember thinking, "I'll bet what I read on the Message Board after the match won't be quite like that!" Nor would I have expected it to be; we're all - hopefully - "Rovers till I die." After we'd got the 3rd goal, the R5 reporter said that the introduction of Samuel and Brereton had made a difference and implied that the latter had been a bit of a hulk intimidating Hill's defence.

So do we go with an ultra-cautious - we'll keep hold of the point we started the game with - approach or do we go a bit gung-ho and try to get some revenge for that 1-2 shock they gave us back in August? I'm not going to pick a team this far away from the game - there's plenty of time for another one or two of the squad to go down with injuries between now and Saturday - I just hope we keep the back door closed better than we did against Fulham and, perhaps a bit like it sounded on R5 last night, keep plugging away till Charlton crack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Think we will struggle here. It will be a big day for Charlton with a full house and a chance to take a big step to survival after last night. They'll see this one as a golden opportunity.

Yes, the weather forecast here down south is for very blustery conditions at the weekend. Those older posters who remember the huge space of The Valley before its redevelopment will be grateful that the stadium is now enclosed.

I like The Valley. It's atmospheric, accessible and the big pitch usually means open spaces for both teams. As for Charlton I'm glad they beat Forest last night for two reasons. They might be over confident and the expectation of their fans will be to win. The longer the game goes on with no goals will suit us and although I don't really like predicting results because of all the variables I really fancy us there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Apparently we've sold 3k for this? Any truth in that.... decent if so! They've sold over 20k home tickets for this.  

I have always loved/ hated Charlton. Good ground, good pubs and looks like it is going to be a decent crowd. However, when I go, we always seem to get beat.... I am not going. 

3-1 Rovers  

£5 a ticket. Will be absolutely bouncing!

7 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Apparently we've sold 3k for this? Any truth in that.... decent if so! They've sold over 20k home tickets for this.  

I think if we had hit over 3k, the club wouldn't have stopped tweeting about it etc.

I think it was around 1400 sold at the start of the week, so if we can get close to 2k it's a decent effort.

• Like 2