BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Christ its FIVE pounds a ticket and someone wants cheap transport laying on ?

Is that with or without free booze and a packed lunch as well?

Its probably the cheapest ticket in the football league tomorrow ffs.

Why not cheap transport. Every little incentive helps people who might not be able to afford it Anyway see you there 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Couldn't understand the logic of playing Bennett and Downing as inverted wingers the other night. I can understand playing inverted wingers if they have an eye for coming inside and scoring but for someone like Downing who's biggest strength is his crossing, it limited his effectiveness. Also when did Bell of Nyambe last register an assist?  Both are terrible crossers of the ball.

Bells crossing is the least of his worries 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Wishful thinking mate. Tony doesn’t often play with wingers. When he does, he inverts them so that they drift into the middle and let’s the fullbacks push on and create the width.

Maybe but its just the way I would play, @Ewood Ace hits the nail on the head regarding a lack of assists from the full backs so any notion of overlapping is moot. Downing especially will possibly play narrower than many wingers so theres less risk of being outnumbered and he can get crosses in from that side. Dont think the inverted wingers is a successful tactic, indeed Mowbrays use of wide players has not been a strength during his time here.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Why not cheap transport. Every little incentive helps people who might not be able to afford it Anyway see you there 

Subsidised travel can only be given on official Rovers travel and penalises anybody who travels by any other mode of transport. I took this up with Steve Waggott after it was announced that the club would put of free coaches for the Norwich game last season which was out back to 19.30 on a Saturday night. I suggested that in the interests of fairness it would be better to subsidise tickets and then everybody gets rewarded the same. He agreed and said it would be a prime consideration should it happen again.

15 hours ago, @roverseas said:

Bit of positivity for Rovers heading into our Valentines Day fixture against Charlton Athletic.  We owes these guys for their cheeky win on opening day.  Despite the good spirits we all find ourselves in, this is a very LOSEABLE match.  So we need to have a bit of lady luck on this weekend of luuuurveee.

I always enjoy your previews & reviews. Good work, thanks! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Another thing other clubs do in this div just to reward the regular support now and again. Yet of course when a few Rovers fans suggest it up go the cries outrage and mock offence.

Bad fans, bad fans...

Edited by tomphil

£5 a ticket is a great initiative, hope to see more of it in the future. 

Whilst not quite win or bust, 3 points and other results could put us right back in the mix.

I'm always comparing us to PNE at the moment, they went to the Valley and won back in November and are (as it stands) the only side, currently above us, who have won at the venue all season.

Charlton 2-2 West Brom (1st)

Charlton 1-0 Leeds (2nd)

Charlton 0-0 Fulham (3rd)

Charlton 1-0 Brentford (4th)

Charlton 1-1 Nottingham Forest (5th)

Charlton 0-1 Preston (6th)

Charlton 3-2 Bristol City (7th)

Charlton 2-2 Cardiff City (8th)

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Ticket and official travel is a combined £37. That is as cheap as chips. If people can’t afford that they’ve bigger problems than attending a game of football. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Subsidised travel can only be given on official Rovers travel and penalises anybody who travels by any other mode of transport. I took this up with Steve Waggott after it was announced that the club would put of free coaches for the Norwich game last season which was out back to 19.30 on a Saturday night. I suggested that in the interests of fairness it would be better to subsidise tickets and then everybody gets rewarded the same. He agreed and said it would be a prime consideration should it happen again.

It doesn't penalise anybody. If you're travelling by another mode of transport, chances are that's your choice (obviously if you live very far away from Ewood that's different). If you want the free transport, take the free transport.

Yes if you live really far away it's different, but what if you live next door to Charlton? Then you get your ticket subsidised and your travel costs sod all anyway, whilst someone travelling from Ewood is paying a ton in travel.

Free travel is a great incentive, not some backdoor penalty effort. You can't please everybody.

Free travel is best used for a local/local-ish game, with something riding on it like a promotion push run-in.

Barnsley in March is perhaps a bit early, say it was at Easter and we were well in the mix for top 6/top 2, then free travel would be great to help fill that large away end at Oakwell.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Ticket and official travel is a combined £37. That is as cheap as chips. If people can’t afford that they’ve bigger problems than attending a game of football. 

And they do. And they won't attend when they might for 15 quid.

I wish people wouldn't apply their own budget to others. It's obvious that cheaper tickets, travel etc means more fans, which boosts the team. 37 quid and hours travelling isnt a small consideration for a lot of people just for a game of football, which could easily result in you coming away feeling down, and certainly isn't 'cheap as chips'. Especially these days where you can often find a stream...

• Like 3

As a Texan, I think EFL is a bargain. I can’t see the Texas Longhorns for $40, or the Dallas Cowboys. Crowds are 90,000+, as well.

The wife & I saw Reading/Blackburn on our trip in September, it was only £25/ea. I don’t count travel, food, etc, or I would likely not leave the house. I sometimes wish I could live in Texas 6 mo’s, England 6 mo’s. Get out, live a little! :rover:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

As a Texan, I think EFL is a bargain. I can’t see the Texas Longhorns for $40, or the Dallas Cowboys. Crowds are 90,000+, as well.

The wife & I saw Reading/Blackburn on our trip in September, it was only £25/ea. I don’t count travel, food, etc, or I would likely not leave the house. I sometimes wish I could live in Texas 6 mo’s, England 6 mo’s. Get out, live a little! :rover:

Not really comparable as there are Only 32 NFL teams for 300 million people. One team to represent a metropolis like Dallas.

London has 5 PL clubs and about a dozen professional clubs.

England at a fifth of the size of the US has over a 100 pro clubs, so of course it’s going to be cheaper, supply and demand is nowhere near the same. Yet, many Championship clubs are still charging £40, us included at times this season.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It doesn't penalise anybody. If you're travelling by another mode of transport, chances are that's your choice (obviously if you live very far away from Ewood that's different). If you want the free transport, take the free transport.

Yes if you live really far away it's different, but what if you live next door to Charlton? Then you get your ticket subsidised and your travel costs sod all anyway, whilst someone travelling from Ewood is paying a ton in travel.

Free travel is a great incentive, not some backdoor penalty effort. You can't please everybody.

My point was more about rewarding loyalty. For the Norwich game three of us travelled by car and none of us had missed a game that season. Because we don't like going by coach we weren't entitled to any subsidy an yet fans I know went to their first away game of the season that day. I don't have a problem with that by the way. I also know quite a few who ho to every away match on the train. Subsidising the match tickets are the best way to treat everybody fairly. 

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

The reality of living around here is a little different i'm afraid.

• Like 4

Hello again

I have resurfaced from my last post in july?

I expect us to lineup like so

Phillip's

Matthew's Lockyer Pratley Pearce doughty

Cullen              Davis

William's

Taylor             Hemed

I imagine we will go direct like we did against Forest, we have sold out our Home ends so will be a good atmosphere.  In terms of injuries we have gone from about 14 to 3 in a matter if weeks which is nice to see, I am fairly confident but that usually means a loss is incoming 

May the best team win

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

£5 a ticket is a great initiative, hope to see more of it in the future. 

Whilst not quite win or bust, 3 points and other results could put us right back in the mix.

I'm always comparing us to PNE at the moment, they went to the Valley and won back in November and are (as it stands) the only side, currently above us, who have won at the venue all season.

Charlton 2-2 West Brom (1st)

Charlton 1-0 Leeds (2nd)

Charlton 0-0 Fulham (3rd)

Charlton 1-0 Brentford (4th)

Charlton 1-1 Nottingham Forest (5th)

Charlton 0-1 Preston (6th)

Charlton 3-2 Bristol City (7th)

Charlton 2-2 Cardiff City (8th)

Again, sides below us have won at the Valley. They are obviously dangerous but it's disappointing if we don't win.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, charltonfan said:

Hello again

I have resurfaced from my last post in july?

I expect us to lineup like so

Phillip's

Matthew's Lockyer Pratley Pearce doughty

Cullen              Davis

William's

Taylor             Hemed

I imagine we will go direct like we did against Forest, we have sold out our Home ends so will be a good atmosphere.  In terms of injuries we have gone from about 14 to 3 in a matter if weeks which is nice to see, I am fairly confident but that usually means a loss is incoming 

May the best team win

You guys got lucky in August, and Rovers are just unpredictable at the moment, so my best guess is that it will be a narrow victory for football tomorrow. If Rovers set up like we did on Tuesday evening in the icy north, then it could be very interesting. If we set up like we did against Sheff Weds, then it might be a case of who scores first gets the cricket score.

I'm solidly with you on this one though - may the best team win!

6 minutes ago, charltonfan said:

Lucky?

Our keeper didnt make a save

We had two shots on target and scored one, so I'm pretty sure he did make a save. We also had 14 shots in total, to your 9. Possession was 62% to us.

I think what he means is lucky we were below par, especially with our shooting which was frustratingly wayward. That 14 shots total is the same amount we had against Sheff W, and we slaughtered them 5-0. Our defending against you was particularly poor, every time you counter attacked we just parted like the Red Sea. This is still a vulnerability of ours at times, but it's undoubtedly something which has improved since shifting Mulgrew (you're lucky he was playing his only game of the season for us!!) and bringing in Tosin.

11 minutes ago, charltonfan said:

Can I also add that your goal was the luckiest I have ever seen

Should be a good game tomorrow?

I've seen worse, but it was definitely very poor from your side. Both your goals were shit too from our perspective, albeit not as much so (a lot of our lads at fault for your first, it wasnt as ludicrous individually though).

It was a poor game with poor goals and I hope tomorrow is much better. On the balance of play though we should have been at least drawing if not winning, but you were much more resolute at the back than we were.

I expect both sides will play better tomorrow. You've got a full house at home and have found your feet in this league, whilst we are in rich form despite an injury crisis and are definitely better than we were early in the season. I'm predicting a score draw, which won't be good enough from our end if we want to stay in the playoff push, unless other results all conspire for us.