BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Very well in the first half. Fine goal, looked composed in possession and very tidy with it. Finally started seeing the player we keep hearing about. Even threw himself about physically a bit, winning the ball very well on the edge of our box at one point.

Second half he was fairly poor I felt. Some sloppy passing and began looking indecisive, something which I wouldn't even have levelled at him in previous games. Then started to stabilise a bit later on.

Still a project in progress. Still think a League One loan and weekly men's football would have benefited him better. But maybe he will start to find his feet in our first team instead. Fingers crossed.

Buckley was decent I thought. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a physically slight player. Does look like a 14 year old kid playing with the men's team. Also runs in a very ungainly sort of way.

But when he had the ball he used it very well. Scored a goal, played some very good through balls. Done enough to start the next game. If he can bulk up a bit he will be some player - got potential to be a Tom Cairney sort I think. He's 20 already though - maybe he is destined to be very physically small?

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One recurring theme about our best performances this season is that we have had a balanced team with two banks of four and plenty of movement from the front two who are constantly looking to get in behind. I really hope Mowbray keeps the current shape and tactics irrespective of who we play. There has been a fluidity about our play and the movement allows us to press a little higher. There has been a simplicity to our best performances and no over complications.

Tbf I think the shape and tactics are exactly the same. A ball playing CB, Two sitting CM’s, inverted wide players and full backs pushing on and creating the width. It’s just now that it seems to be finally working and the biggest indicator for me is that AA can play as a lone striker for us now. There’s not a chance he could’ve done that for us last May because we were so direct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Dare to dream fellas!

Now THAT was one of the best away days I've ever been on despite the stinking weather.

Such a solid performance and who better to judge us than opposition fans who I quote after the game were saying "by far the best team we've had at the valley, you will go up".

Literally cannot fault anyone, seeing the main man sat with us just completed the day too

Yes, Charlton fans have been very balanced in their views.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88284/charlton-v-blackburn-sat-15-feb-3pm-ko-post-match-thread

Lots of praise for Walton, Nyambe, and Buckley and one of the best teams to play at their place this season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf I think the shape and tactics are exactly the same. A ball playing CB, Two sitting CM’s, inverted wide players and full backs pushing on and creating the width. It’s just now that it seems to be finally working and the biggest indicator for me is that AA can play as a lone striker for us now. There’s not a chance he could’ve done that for us last May because we were so direct.

When we have 'wide strikers' we don't look nearly as balanced. It's not a pop at any individuals, it's more playing players out of position which I feel inhibits us. And it's only recently have seen the full backs bombing on which has undoubtedly added another dimension to their and our game. 

Would you not agree about the balance of the team?

Edited by arbitro
Spell check!!!
  • Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

When we have 'wide strikers' we don't look nearly as balanced. It's not a pop at any individuals, it's more playing players out of position which I feel inhibits us. And it's only recently have seen the full backs bombing on which has undoubtedly added another cinematic their and our game. 

Unfortunately I wasn’t there yesterday mate but I’ve seen the last few and yes I’d agree. I do think that perhaps it’s because the lads who’ve come in have had longer to understand though. We played a couple of matches with Dack and Holtby in those tucked in forward roles and couldn’t get it right. Rothwell has also played there. So we could prob argue that those three are better placed than most.

But whatever ambiguity there is, I’m clear that Sam Gallagher cannot and must not play that role. EVER again! ??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Buckley was decent I thought. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a physically slight player. Does look like a 14 year old kid playing with the men's team. Also runs in a very ungainly sort of way.

But when he had the ball he used it very well. Scored a goal, played some very good through balls. Done enough to start the next game. If he can bulk up a bit he will be some player - got potential to be a Tom Cairney sort I think. He's 20 already though - maybe he is destined to be very physically small?

If he’s good enough then he won’t need to be as physical. Though there’s not many lads at 20 who’ve finished growing into their bodies so fingers crossed he puts a bit of weight on between now and August. Could be a massive player for us in the future.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If he’s good enough then he won’t need to be as physical. Though there’s not many lads at 20 who’ve finished growing into their bodies so fingers crossed he puts a bit of weight on between now and August. Could be a massive player for us in the future.

THIS

We want Lionel Messi not Adebayo Akinfenwa!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Dare to dream fellas!

Now THAT was one of the best away days I've ever been on despite the stinking weather.

Such a solid performance and who better to judge us than opposition fans who I quote after the game were saying "by far the best team we've had at the valley, you will go up".

Literally cannot fault anyone, seeing the main man sat with us just completed the day too

We did the simple stuff well. We passed well, fought for the ball when we needed to, excellent hold up and movement and made some excellent fouls to nip danger in the bud.  That's all I ever want from a Rovers side and why I get so frustrated this season - it is 100% there for the taking. Nobody is special in this league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He will no doubt develop in strength. Pederson and Jansen were similar- easy to knock flying but within 18months, far stronger.  Same will go with Brereton, He's holding off defenders far better now but he's only 20 too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree entirely as evidenced by his goal yesterday. He dropped his shoulder twice and went last two players and created space for himself to get his shot away. He also put in a few well timed challenges at both ends of the pitch. And he had the presence of mind to take one for the team by tripping a Charlton player who was breaking away. He reminds me is David Silva in the way he plays.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, arbitro said:

When we have 'wide strikers' we don't look nearly as balanced. It's not a pop at any individuals, it's more playing players out of position which I feel inhibits us. And it's only recently have seen the full backs bombing on which has undoubtedly added another dimension to their and our game. 

Where did Armstrong play? Wide or up front? 

Would you agree we are playing less direct now then we did with Graham and Dack up front? 

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree entirely as evidenced by his goal yesterday. He dropped his shoulder twice and went last two players and created space for himself to get his shot away. He also put in a few well timed challenges at both ends of the pitch. And he had the presence of mind to take one for the team by tripping a Charlton player who was breaking away. He reminds me is David Silva in the way he plays.

His best performance for us I feel.

I've been a bit sceptical and wondered what the fuss is about him, my dad watches the U23 games and raves about him. Yesterday I kinda got it. He hasn't been brilliant but you get that with young lads and we should most certainly persevere. 

• Like 4

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Where did Armstrong play? Wide or up front? 

Would you agree we are playing less direct now then we did with Graham and Dack up front? 

Thanks in advance

I thought Armstrong and Samuel interchanged a lot and their movement caused lots of problems for Charlton - that's the fluidity I mentioned. That fluidity enabled them to come in from wide of central so for me it's difficult to say he played in a definite position. Armstrong looks to get in behind a lot as balls are played through so it's a completely different way of playing to when Graham is playing.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

I thought Armstrong and Samuel interchanged a lot and their movement caused lots of problems for Charlton - that's the fluidity I mentioned. That fluidity enabled them to come in from wide of central so for me it's difficult to say he played in a definite position. Armstrong looks to get in behind a lot as balls are played through so it's a completely different way of playing to when Graham is playing.

Thanks for the response. I feel that the crucial thing at the minute is movement and fluidity and not players staying rigid to the position. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

They see him as a Silva type of player too.  Plays on the half turn and very technical intelligent and mentally strong apparently. He’s seen as ‘the one’...he won’t be loaned out to league one for the same reasons City wouldn’t loan Foden out. Neither need to ‘man up’ they just need nurturing and to grow. Not get their legs broken in a league where they are mentally three steps ahead of everyone else.

Interestingly - City will need another ‘Silva’ type player to replace Foden when he replaces Silva in the summer....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Scott Sellars, looked like a strong breeze would blow him away but the ball stuck to him & he skipped over & around challenges 

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They see him as a Silva type of player too.  Plays on the half turn and very technical intelligent and mentally strong apparently. He’s seen as ‘the one’...he won’t be loaned out to league one for the same reasons City wouldn’t loan Foden out. Neither need to ‘man up’ they just need nurturing and to grow. Not get their legs broken in a league where they are mentally three steps ahead of everyone else.

Interestingly - City will need another ‘Silva’ type player to replace Foden when he replaces Silva in the summer....

Bucko to City! You’ve heard it here first!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Won't let me upload the pic for some reason, maybe cos I always get told off by the mods ?

But mr Dack was sat in the away end with us normal (ish) folks and was an absolute gent. Spoke so highly of us as said "not a chance" he would leave any time soon 

What a legend! 

• Like 1