Would you sign Christian Walton

Would you sign Christian Walton ?   

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Christian Walton?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

• Backroom

I wouldn't be unhappy with signing Walton as a competitive no2, but I think we can do a lot better for the no1 spot. A good no1 with Walton as no2 would be decent enough, although whether Walton would realistically sign as our no2 is another question entirely.

• Like 1

I'd decide after he's given us a full season. Then if hes shaped up ok in general and he could be got for 500k to 1 million max then I'd say yes.

Personally I think they'll sign him for a (silly) undisclosed fee. They'll keep Leutwiler if HE wants to stay and they'll sign a youngster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure about that. The league to be fair is littered with poor keepers and he certainly isnt one of the very worst (Sluga and Camp possibly the main 2) plus he isnt the worst player in our team hence my insistence that goalkeeper wasnt a priority in January but there have been plenty of goals in which he carries the main portion of the blame. The last 2 goals that we have conceded have both been his fault, palming the ball straight out v Boro and Mitrovics shot was saveable too.

Hes a totally different style to Raya, far more conservative. Rayas errors were usually blatant and obvious ones, whereas Walton does let in saveable shots more. He also pulls off less brilliant reflex saves although v Gestede it was a great save. Distribution, Raya kicked it out of play quite a lot, Walton doesnt but his kicking is often inaccurate in terms of things like floating towards a Dack or Armstrong when Gallagher or Graham are playing and Rayas distribution was sometimes an asset on the counter attack whereas Walton is poor and reluctant doing that which I think Mowbray recently touched on.

I think the main bug bear has always been about selling a keeper and loaning one who is the same age to be fair though. I would want a permanent upgrade in the summer to Walton.

To nick 99s post best summary of Walton yet imo. Especially the bit in bold suggests he isn't all that good and whilst Raya is trying to grab the headlines for the worst howler ever (along with the best saves) a more mundane but still weak Walton isn't the answer. 

C'mon folks we are Blackburn Rovers, a mid table championship side. You can't tell me there aren't better keepers in our price range out there who would come to us. Walton may be less headline grabbing than Raya (for good or ill) but that doesn't make him a good keeper. Heck wherever people stand on the Raya quality debate that's not the standard either. The standard is a solid to good number 1 and Walton isn't that. 

• Like 2

Yes. Been great for us. One or two mistakes early on, but nowhere near as many as Raya made in Rovers colours. Reliable at set-pieces and seems to fit in well. I quite like him. For the right price and the right wages I think it's a good deal all round. Only going to improve at a relatively young age for a goalkeeper too.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yes. Been great for us. One or two mistakes early on, but nowhere near as many as Raya made in Rovers colours. Reliable at set-pieces and seems to fit in well. I quite like him. For the right price and the right wages I think it's a good deal all round. Only going to improve at a relatively young age for a goalkeeper too.

I’d say more than one or two mistakes, he made two on Saturday that on another day could easily have led to a goal. (One where he inexplicably dropped a slowly rolling ball at a strikers feet and was saved by a flag and then messed about with the ball and cleared it about 30 yards to their man)

Then again I don’t think there’s too many keepers in this league that don’t do that sort of thing.

His height is a big plus but he needs to be braver releasing the ball, never wants to go early and turn defence into attack, also frustratingly slow late in the game when we are chasing the game 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Made far more than that, just not calamatious ones. Was responsible for the last 2 goals conceded.

• Like 1

I find the dislike for the guy in general is a bit harsh. If we can grab him for a low fee in the summer I’d be all over it. Baby age for a keeper with loads of experience already and yeah he’s made some gaffs (which keeper at this level doesn’t see Leeds Brentford last night) but he’s saved us a few times and has a lot of clean sheets and in my opinion has helped stabilise the defence being more commanding in the area. 

I would like to see him under a keeper coach that isn’t a no mark and if Mowbray has something better lined up fair enough but I doubt it. I think Walton if he leaves would be appreciated a lot more by us lot when we end up stuck with real trash like that Sunderland keeper we were linked with.

• Like 1